t-thanks

>> Engines
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com
Isn't this redundant because of the aggydaggy.com link?

ideas from last thread

Flavor world (back story mainly told through flavor text and inference)
Shipwrecked on a new continent.
>ruins of a kingdom, place is nearly deserted
or
>find a thriving kingdom, aristocracy is up to something secret
>arrive at a kingdom under threat of invasion from a neighboring powerful hostile force

try to avoid "muh prophecy"

other ideas
>your character just returned home from a war but something is off
>your character came to the gameworld following a mysterious map

>celestial event, lightning storms mark the appearance of titan creatures

>nights in the gameworld get longer each night, no one knows why
>monsters at night

>airships are always kinda cool
>maybe wizards are old guys locked in prisons cause rulers saw magic as a threat
>they'll teach you spells if you find them but are too weak to fight

>sea level is slowly rising in a 1,000 or 2,000 year cycle and will destroy kingdom
or
>seas are rising for unknown reason
>sea creatures attacking coastal towns (big monsters)

>A fog appears and rearranges cities and environments at random
>castles and towns look like Escher drawings because of it
>Environment is shifted when fog lifts

>Orcs or goblins, some underground creatures
>planning to undermine the city and attack from their underground kingdom

let me know if you want more

Cliches are not ideas.

Ok I wrote it now like this

if (gamepad_axis_value(0,gp_axislh) < 0) hspeed -= 1;
if (gamepad_axis_value(0,gp_axislh) > 0) hspeed += 1;

if (joystick_xpos(1) < 0) hspeed -= 1;
if (joystick_xpos(1) > 0) hspeed += 1;

Gamepad still works, but stick doesn't.

magic system ideas
>magic system could be like a collectible card game
>gems or runes that go into equipment slots
>all spells are in the form of consumables "tomes" "scrolls"
>light magic stronger in bright light
>dark magic strong in dark unlit caves
>magic system based around summoning and summons creatures exclusively

unusual spells details

>spell strength increases with amount of nearby enemies
>spell effect "mutates" changes rules on each cast
>Spell costs less MP for each X condition
>Spell's level up predictable or unpredictable
>Spell's have their own "growth tree" "upgrade tree"

Players can "craft their own spells"
Find template spells, set MP and cast time, cooldown time, etc but each positive stat turns another stat down the same amount of points so it's a trade off. No two player's fireball will be quite the same.

Was there ever the idea of an agdg corroboratory project on git?
And did it turn sour immediately?

Man what I wanted do to sit down and talk to the Rust devs, I always wanna message garry's reddit account but I know he gets shitton of messages and probably ignores them all

See, this is a tough one. I don't know if it is because your code logic is unsound or if your PC happens to fall into the "not compatible with this obsolete command" region of things.

The other Rust, silly.

I think there was an enginedev collab which obviously didn't work

Less so, but I'd still be down to talking with them, having a language that compiles itselfe is super cool, and they're doing a great job at keeping speed up

>having a language that compiles itselfe is super cool
Most usable languages are self-hosted, user.

I kind of like the texture for this trap door, even though its resolution clashes with the rest of the walls/pillars.

Hieroglyphs and stuff.

seems so. Do you think I still should write the inputs for joystick now anyway? If perhaps it works for some people who will play the game (if any ever)?

I just use an xbox emulator now, and with this, the stick works fine.

There are so many XInput-capable devices (either directly or through a program) that games can get away with only supporting XInput (gamepads), really.

cool

Banding alert on Anubis' leg.

haha! now I have a reason to post this thing I made today!

then some fucker called me rotatedev

3D adventure game, 3rd person. Collision detection for the player works 90% of the time, the only time it doesn't work is when jumping, while strafing while locked on a target (legend of zelda z-targeting type system).

Can't seem to figure out why, so I think I'll just disable the jumping while locked. And try to make up for it by being creative and switching jump to dodge while locked on.

>50 lines to rotate a red square on a green background

>takes 1 with unity

engine devs i swear

62 lines ;^)

>then some fucker called me rotatedev
He has never shown anyone his code before (because he doesn't have any)

Fixed my effects deletion code so that particle effects delete themselves when they're done.

Added a motor burnout option so that the missile doesn't just keep on accelerating indefinitely and makes it a little easier to dodge a missile. Although, it makes it a lot harder to see. I think eventually I want a HUD element to draw on top of any incoming missiles.

Maneuvering thrusters can't burn out at the moment, but I should probably add a timeout for that as well.

>because he doesn't have any
7/10 i was thisclose to replying

Yeah, probably change that.

I wonder who?

maybe make the maneuvering thruster eat from the main thruster fuel, so if the target is far away it can remain at forward thrust for longer(since less path corrections).
And if the target is close but moves alot it depletes its fuel quite fast.

But already looks pretty solid anyway

I was using purely timers, but that's actually a good idea and would be easy to adapt the code to. Will make missile balancing (gameplay-wise) a bit weird to think about, but that should be interesting.

Finally got the punch combo working. I don't have much experience with Unity's Mecanim Animator, but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to be precise and accurate. I wound up starting my melee attacks via code rather than Animator parameters, and it's significantly more responsive now, and combat feels much more reliable.

Actually there's only 1 line involved in rotating the square, the rest is setting up a window, OpenGL context, main loop, etc.

Great! After using a 360 controller emulator for my Arcade Stick now, the game only plays in slow motion when I unplug the stick...

Anyone know how to fix this perhaps?

50 lines is small price for freedom

how did you type that not equals sign

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Throbot
Dev: scarfdev
Tools: GM:S
Web: scarfdev.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ programmed objects having different weights, and the effects of carrying heavy shit
+ working on fixing my shitty damage system
- gotta animate 2 new walk cycles cus of the weight shit
- wracking my brain around letting held items still collide with walls properly so you can't shove them into walls
+ if i get that to work then i can make really long objects that latch onto ledges and pretend it's a feature

xth for cute dev

It might be a meme font that interprets != as a ligature for =/=

But Unity is not safe.

any good tutorials on replicating this art style?

I know it's pixel, but it seems much more smooth and "zoomed out" than other styles of pixel art

Rust is too confusing to me

That because it's looking constantly the controller input without finding it and that's slows down the game. Have it check if the controller exist before executing the rest of the controller related stuff.

He really needs to slow down with the ugly pills
>dev

work in 32x32, then upscale to 64x64 and smooth out the jaggies

>but it seems much more smooth and "zoomed out" than other styles of pixel art
Cause it is

Most artists do pixel art because they can halfass with low pixel density. That shot shows a higher-than-normal resolution

But it worked just fine with just the gamepad before.
Only after I used this 3rd party tool it slowed down after i unplugged the stick.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Jena (not final)
Dev: Emgee
Tools: GameMaker, CSP.
Progress:
+ Changed MC design
+ moved to game maker
+added basic movement
+working on adding xbox controller support cause I hate the keyboard controls I made

-considering starting over with a smaller project so I can learn a bit more before going into a huge project. not sure what though

Oh god you cannot make this shit up.

Also, what's the code to check if the controller exists?

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Whimp the Bold
Dev: AttaBoy
Tools: GM:S, Aseprite
Web: attaboydev.tumblr.com/, Twitter: @AttaBoyGames
Progress:
+Worked on some music
+Made a nice punching animation for Norm
-school semester finishing up, so very little time to dev

Why are you still stalking him? He left agdg a long time ago.

spoon_feed();

FiraCode font. It has ligatures to make e.g. != look like ≠ or

Why not just telling it? I have no idea about this stuff and would have to search hours on the again for this shit.

Didn't mean to quote

>for hours
Not really, is on the help file.
joystick_exists(id) if I recall correctly

>joystick_exists(id)
This can't be the whole code. What do I have to add to this?
Also, I doubt that this is the problem anyway, since it worked just fine before I used the 360 emulator tool.
It must have something to do with the 3rd party tool. But even when I remove this, it still plays in slow motion.

>Why are you still stalking him?
Genuine mental illness. It wouldn't be the first time a nodev became obsessed with someone who replied to their shitposts.

There is a known, unresolved and probably currently unplanned to be resolved, bug in GM:S where if you unplug a controller and plug it back in it will perma slow the game until restart.

That was a pretty cool idea user.

With this new system, the main motor has a fuel reserve that it draws from no matter what. The maneuvering thrusters also have their own fuel reserve, but they draw from the main fuel reserve before their own.

This way you get the behavior you mentioned. If a target flies straight, the main motor will burn for longer and there will be me more fuel left over for maneuvering. If the target moves around and the missile has to turn, then the main motor burns for much shorter, leaving much less momentum for the maneuvering thrusters to work with when the main motor burns out.

First webm shows a mostly stationary target. The missile hits it with 4 seconds of fuel to spare.

>reize
God damn it, how many games will he shove his fuckboy OC in?
He'd even put it in that game?

Second webm shows a maneuvering target. The missile runs out of fuel before it can reach the target.

>caring this much
Where's your game retard?

I already restarted and it didn't fix the problem.
It had to do with the joystick code. After I deleted the joystick code it worked again.

the only thing good about RoR was the soundtrack

Have this (You). Try harder next time.

FYI user you're coming across snotty

Hi Danny D. Henderson
I'm not putting reize in my game

FYI user I really do not care

I wonder why the code is slowing down the game then... might all go back to the whole modern PC having issues with it thing again. It is obsolete code after all. Unfortunate really.

I really like seeing your progress on this, and I can totally appreciate the maths that orchestrate its movements. I just need to know that you will consider making a webm of like thirty or more of these rockets firing at an erratically moving target at some point.

Is it possible to have a PS4 gamepad and a PS3 gamepad running at the same time on a pc without any conflicts in gamemaker? Or does your pc/gamemaker only detect one at a time because they're from different generations?

I know PS4 and PS3 gamepads work individually on PC, but I need to know if you can playing with both at the same time. I don't currently have a PS3 gamepad to test it out.

well, it only slowed down when unplugging the arcade stick, so it probably was like someone here said, that it reads the arcade stick and couldn't find it (although it doesn't work for it anyway?).

No idea... I'm just glad this shit is over now and I can move on with my sad existence.

Don't you need third party drivers to use either? They're just dinput controllers as far as your computer is concerned.

>my game
Make believe is fun.

So i'm interested in Gamemaker Studio but GM:S 2 is coming out.
Do i pay $150 shekel for GM:S or go into the GM:S 2 Beta now for $99 shekel and risk the new version being fucked some how.
Also, need online networking capability.
What do?

Do people actually unironically pay money for that shit? Just learn how to code for real, it's free.

isn't it redundant to ask this on the first page of every god damn new thread?

>tfw your game has multiple waifus but you can't show them off to AGDG because you have no character artist to help realize your vision

I care about our community and only want to see it improve :^)

>Spend hours and hours writing your own boilerplate code because it's more hardcore!!

be your own character artist

unity

use pixels

I've been out of the loop for a few years. When the fuck did the Unity editor get so shit? It feels like a janky web tool

>He didn't get GM:S when it was on sale for 20 bucks on humble bundle

I feel like that's completely irrelevant to what I said, Unity is extremely easy and it's free and it's real code.

Coding is faster than using GM's visual scripting

You code just as much with unity as you do with GM, retard. You don't HAVE to drag and drop everything.

look at this speck of pixels and tell me its not kawaii

I feel like that's completely irrelevant to what I said.

I'm not likin this meme

>found a torrent with a shitton of Unity assets not found on kat4

feelsamazingman

How do I go about making simple animations like the portraits in stellaris? I just want a little bit of movement. What program would I use?