What is wrong with this car?

What is wrong with this car?
What is right with this car?
Would you buy one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wumAOXFbb78
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shit engine. That's really it.

These cars are going to be great one their price goes below 5k. We should also be seeing some nice engine swaps too.

What's wrong about this car is that it's slow, and what's right about this car is everything they did to get people to buy and defend it anyway.

What about the Prius tires?

>wrong

Needs a bit more displacement + header redesign for more torque. FA25 with +20hp and +30trq over current engine would be great. Needs a bit grippier and wider tires (not too grippy though, should still be easy to drift).

>what is right with the car?

Basically everything else. Only bitter poorfags think this is somehow worse than old FR shitboxes like 240SX and AE86.

>would you buy one?

I wanted to, but I got waaaaay more incentives to buy a Fiesta ST, so I did.

I wish they'd just finally fucking offer a performance version with a turbo to shut up all these hurrnopower faggots.

I wouldn't buy one though, but that's true for any new or recent model year car. They seem to find new dogshit to mandate with every passing year.

Too "slow" and expensive for what it is. Not enough torque for driving in the city.

Light, RWD, Easy to modify except for the high comp engine

No. Too expensive new and 95% of used ones are riced to hell. I'd have to be okay with drifting into a wall and writing it off before I bought one.

>one their price goes below 5k
So never?

By the way this would be the easiest task in the world to accomplish. The WRX engine bolts in with zero modifications, and all they'd have to do then is add slightly wider tires and a wing. This is what happens when you do:

youtube.com/watch?v=wumAOXFbb78

give it 5 years. Dont worry we will all find dirt cheap brzs when we get old and make stupid modifications to them.

>"AE86 successor"
>30k
>slow
>torque dip
>boxer engine
>NA
>NA boxer engine
>pre-riced from factory
>boy racer swag fag looks (hence the die hard fanbase, muh sportscar!)
>defended by the argument "muh driving feels:

this is not an AE86 and anyone who drives one is NOT my nigga. wannabe racecar driver car for people who don't know shit about cars

That's easily changed. If you swap or use forced induction, the total costs would be around 35-40k which is totally ridiculous at that point

>light
>2,760 to 2,809 lbs
>light

please.

It's not just about having no power, there's a fucking huge power dip. Did they just see that and go "... uh fuck it, release it anyways" . It also chirps a lot

It's the 21st century grandpa, wake the fuck up.

It's light for a modern car at it's price range. Some people here circlejerk over the Mustang and never bring up the fact that it weighs a 1000lbs more.

You're basically describing the old AE86, it ticks all the boxes you listed.

But, I assume you've never driven either so how would you know, Mr. Buspass?

Although I agree, it sickens me that both the AE86 and the GT 86 cater to wanna be fuccbois and stancefagots but hey, that's what drives sales.

>30k
Accounting for 30 years of inflation? Same price. BRZ is probably cheaper.
>slow
Totally unlike the AE86 lmao
>torque
The 4A-GE does not even make 100lb-ft, I would know because I've owned an AW11
>NA boxer engine
Yes, it should have been I4, preferably a 3SGE Blacktop, but turbos need to stay the fuck away from driver-focused cars
>pre-riced from factory
What rice?
>boy racer swag fag looks
Boy racers have ALWAYS bought these kind of cars, don't kid yourself
>muh driving feels
Literally all that matters you fucking benchracing

0/10 see my after class

The Subaru Impreza WRX is around $4,000 more expensive than the Subaru Impreza 2.0 Sport. Considering the BRZ starts at $26,000 I am completely confident they could offer a BRZ WRX for less than $30,000 considering all they have to do is put a different, already existing engine in and add wider tires, a wing and maybe different shock absorbers and springs.

>Fiesta ST
Gay little womanly hatchback FWDcuck Found On Road Dead trash :^)

A fully loaded wrx is like 30-33k before becoming an sti at 35-40k. Fully loaded brz is also like 30 so the brz sti would be like 35

Yeah but it's my gay womanly hatchback and it puts 265lb-ft of torque down at the wheels. I remain untriggered.

Um...it's got overbolstered Recaros? I got nothing.
I fucking love the Fiesta ST desu sempai

It's the revival of low powered Japanese sport coupes.

Veeky Forums wanted a Japanese GT350 for $16k and forgot those old sport coupes were $18k-$24k in their day while still being underpowered as fuck stock

This

The 240sx is basically ye old 86 Twin

My E46 just shit the bed and I'm more than likely going to buy ''new'' since I need some reliability for my job.
I can get a BRZ for $20k (know a guy). Should I or is there something else I should consider? Not trying to detract from the thread, but this is perfect timing.

The engine and tires suck. It's such a great platform, but it's gimped by lack of power and baby tires.

Why do 3 year old models still "sell" for 60% of new price, even with 75K miles on them?

Is there a gold brick hidden in the glovebox? Why would I pay $18K for a 2013 with 60K miles on it?

>shitty tires

90% of the people that buy these put on their own rims and tires. Why spec it with fancy rims and tires?

They should just leave speaker wire as most people upgrade the head unit and speakers anyways.

>90% of the people that buy these put on their own rims and tires. Why spec it with fancy rims and tires?
Should've come with donuts on steel wheels to save cost then.

>What is wrong with this car?
No power, shit tires
>What is right with this car?
Handling dynamics, not much else
>Would you buy one?
I'd rather have a used cayman

The RC version comes with steelies and unpainted bumpers and no radio.

Torque dip. That's literally it. And you can fix that with a header and tuning tablet.

Everything else. Driving feel, looks, aftermarket, price point, etc. It's such a good "blank slate" car. It's a canvas to create whatever you want on it, which is exactly what a car like this should be.

>Would you buy one?

Planning on it tbqh

You fucking wouldn't buy Cayman. It's the second worst Porsche after Boxter

That would probably put it into 370Z prices.

>not wanting the best handling and lightest watercooled porsche
It's a pretty great car user

Yeah, the Macan and Cayenne are just so damn good.

How much cheaper could it have been if they didn't have to design the car around its shitty meme engine?

bought one, gonna put some nice meaty tires on it & either swap the engine or turbo + build the fa20

either way a toyobaru with >350 whp is going to be a fucking riot

oops, forgot to mention that the engine work will be done when warranty ends, so i'll have my shit figured out & money to burn

How much are WRX "crate motors" ?

Is it truly a drop in, or does someone make a kit?

Yeah but then you're approaching Vette territory at that price range.

yeah, by my rough calculations fully building this entire car short of making it a racecar is going to be $20k + (obviously not including the price of the car)

i actually test drove c5/6 corvettes before buying the toyobaru & the autistic geezer owners & trash build quality + interior turned me off

got a fantastic deal on a toyobaru so i don't feel too bad anyways

I see a used on on Clist with 14,000 miles @ $13k.
Should I pull the trigger on this?

what the cheapest price for a second hand 86?

13,000?

>over-bolstered Recaros

Honestly, it's fun watching fat people try to get in it.

is it in good condition?
is it stock?
what is the age of the previous owner?
is the title clean or rebuilt?

if the car seems unmolested & the owner isn't a window licking retard, go for it.
the fa20 will be reliable as fuck since it's so underpowered, and $13k is a pretty good price for a toyobaru

The autistic geezers would take care of the car more. There are just some cars I wouldn't buy used. Maybe if you found a decent one.

Stupidly slow stock.

FR, huge aftermarket, looks decent.

>Would you buy one?
Used, perhaps. But there's better looking and just as easy to mod alternatives in the price range. What sells a BRZ over an S-chassis or an E36 coupe?

Shit tires were to get it going ass-out easier. Just get good tires.

They could, but this makes for competition. Is it the AWD and turbo combo that sells the WRX or does turbo alone do the job? Why split sales between a turboed sedan and turboed coupe that Toyota also get their hands on?

Good condition, stock, but rebuilt for some reason. No idea on the age of the previous owner.
Sitting here needing a new car deciding whether I want to buy new ($20k civic or some shit), a decent BRZ or a take a risk and get a 350z for $5k. The search continues.

>but rebuilt for some reason.
DON'T do it user

Why does any manufacturer make more than one model?

you see, the corvettes were in good condition, but they were chromed out in typical autistic geezer fashion.
not only that, but some were so low mileage that they were barely driven at all. because of this, those fucking old morons overpriced them by at least $5k.
i'm not paying $27k for a c5 corvette that's been rotting away all its life covered in chrome trash
hmm, i wouldn't buy a rebuilt car, as you really don't know how it was fixed or what even happened to it.
i'm pretty sure you can buy a clean title toyobaru for $14-$15k if you look hard enough.
wouldn't trust a $5k 350z though, there's no way that thing hasn't been redlined at every available opportunity

>the fa20 will be reliable as fuck since it's so underpowered

>200hp from 2.0l
>underpowered

I bet these things will be burning more oil than gas in 10 years, like a Hawnduh.

>240's are fast
>n/a four cylinder stock
It's like they think you bought a jz or ls swap 240 from the factory for Craigslist prices

Buyers have different needs. Someone in need of an A to B car would consider an econobox, while someone needing to haul kids and other shit might look at a wagon of some sort. As far as new vehicles go the prospective Civic buyer probably isn't considering an Accord, with something like the Corolla and Mazda3 serving as alternatives to it.

The BRZ and WRX already appeal to specific markets and Toyota sell their equivalent to the BRZ too. If Subaru were to offer a turboed BRZ, Toyota would do the same with the 86. And if the turboed 86 is still cheaper than the BRZ this eats into Subaru's sales twice over.

What about the engine is shit? That's all I keep reading with no real points being made.

I really like the FRS and it's the car that I keep going back to in my head when I consider what kind of car I want in the future. I'm young with few responsibilities right now so I'd like to enjoy one of these before I have to haul a family places. If the speed doesn't bother me, is there any reason not to get one? (The fastest car I've owned is an NA Miata.) A used one is both cheap and modern, so I would have reliability, enjoyment, and some degree of practicality. I've only ever read / seen reviews praising this car.

Please tell me legitimate reasons that it's not that great other than "shit engine slow car LOL"

Pretty cool, but what's the point of unpainted door handles?
Surely there can't be that many people who mod their door handles?

Weight reduction bro

i'm the guy who posted this
just bought one about a month ago, & if you don't mind the sluggish acceleration, fucking go for it. the engine is responsive, the seating position is good, & the handling is great. trunk + back seat space is fairly big, so you probably won't have any problems in your day to day use.

a couple problems though, i bought new & the plastic in the interior scratches so fucking easily, so you have to be careful. also, the gas pedal is lower than the brake pedal so heel toe-ing is kind of a bitch. you can buy a pedal spacer for that though.

i am really enjoying the car, my commute is a fucking blast even on prius tires, and my mpg's are always above 22. (the mpg's aren't as high as they could be but i like to have fun)

I think I would be too fucking excited to even be bothered by it. I would get it 'fixed' pretty quick though. What is it, just new headers and a tune to fix the torque dip, right?

yeah that's about it & the torque dip is gone.

also, i forgot to mention: the clutch takeup is high as all fuck so it's a little weird getting used to it. you also gotta be careful on the shift from 1 to 2 if you want to get it perfectly smooth, it'll be jerky if the transmission isn't warmed up yet, or if you don't finesse the clutch the right amount.

>stupidly slow
>6 seconds 0-60
End your life

Indirect price discrimination via versioning

Appreciate the advice. Found a dealer selling one with < 10,000 miles, clean, for $18k. Gonna keep looking and then pull the trigger on one.

That's the same as an Escalade. Not very excellent.

But it's such an overall attractive enough design that I, as someone who could buy a Boxster if I really wanted to, would seriously consider paying $40k for one with a turbo (260hp), a nicer interior, and a warranty.

I consider the WRX/STi technically great cars beaten with an ugly stick. I would not buy one (and I drive an H6 Outback as my winter car).

I still think Subaru and Toyota are missing a great opportunity here. And the upcoming Supra will likely cost $70K so it's not really cannibalizing sales on their part. It's only the WRX that would be hurt, and perhaps they should just offer it in base and STi variants.

OTOH, I've had an Audi TT. It was plenty fast enough with only 211 hp (hated the tranny and the Haldex), so with 300lb less weight and 200hp I imagine the BRZ would be fine.

That was a Mustang GT about 15 years ago.

Does the escalade also have the same cornering speeds?

Underpowered, expensive other than that its great

Obviously they're not the same. But a 'Lade can do 0.7g on the skidpad and over 60mph on the Slalom which is decent for a 6000lb brick.

Did I imply that it's bad? Sorry, that wasn't my intention. That's just the economic term for having different models of one base product.
In short,
>people with a high sensitivity to price will buy base trims
>people with a low sensitivity to price will buy tricked out trims

Nothing, I think.
It's nice and Japanese.
Sure, why not?

>the clutch takeup is high as all fuck so it's a little weird getting used to it.
Test drove one to day. Very this. But I'm coming from a rough cable clutch where you can hear and feel everything, and get out and change it by cranking a rusty nut or two with a wrench.

That and the engine is crazy anemic at low revs, so I had to drive it like I was in high school again. But I assume that would be an adaptation process.

>The WRX engine bolts in with zero modifications

You have no idea what you're talking about

Neither do you

It's the lightest rwd car you can buy withb more than 2 seats

Ricer tax. It's going to hit these cars hard. Good luck finding a clean 2013 BRZ in 2020.

No

A lot of people lower their clutch pedal. They also have clutch springs to improve feel

a little too small
could use a little more power
looks nice
affordable
>Would you buy one?
no, its too small for me to comfortable fit in

>they should put a turbo on it that would fix anything
>I got one, gonna turbo it soon!
>yeah man it's gonna be like 350hp with a turbo and a sick vape tune

>12.5:1 compression

Well the good news is when the 2% of people who say they will turbo it actually do it will create a lot of cars to buy as rollers when the engine explodes

>b..but look at this build, this company that sells Chinese parts to clueless teenage boyracers PROVES that they make ___hp, look at the dyno sheet! Also I read on a forum that a guy did it!

These cars handle boost pretty well assuming you have a good tune

You can adjust the clutch pedal down a little bit to fix this. I bought one a few weeks ago and it's something I'll probably take care of soon. You can also remove the helper spring to make the clutch more responsive.

Nest, thanks for the head's up. Previous owners clearly kept good care of it, but also enjoyed it a lot, so it's going to take me a bit of time to sort out what might need a tweak from what is just a bit worn.

Nuts and bolts look pretty pristine, though, which counts for a lot. I'll have to go find out if Subaru still offers easy free downloads of the FSM.

I'll
But in the same time I'm getting turbo kit, tuner, new header, wider tires and rocketbunny kit.
And I'll prefer a white one.

It's a Subaru without awd. I mean, it's a fucking Subaru, without all wheel fucking drive, and with the lack of turbo makes it about as gutless as the xv crosstrek.

Not to mention it's a Scion FR-S that they slapped a Subaru insignia on, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. There's a reason Toyota is keeping it around after phasing out the Scion brand. It's a good looking car.

Almost did buy one though, but got a 370z instead.

I know everyone is down on it but as soon as second hand ones drop in value I'm getting one and I'm going to love it.

If I fit in it.

who the fuck is talking about modern cars, i thought we were talking about it being a good car in general. fucking idiot

the AE86 is 30 fucking years old and still a fantastic car to this day for 10-15k for a mint model.

once again the AE86 is 30 fucking years old, i think it gets some passes for holding up to the test of time. the brz will tank in value and no one will give a fuck about them in 10 years.

lol no. engine might fit jsut fine but the turbo wont

>more expensive than a miata
>slower than a miata, even the 1.5
>worse looking
>that fucking joke of an engine

Truly the cuckmobile.

>100hp/liter
>XDDXDXDDX SHIT ENGINE XDXDXDXDDXXDXD

It's a Subaru with Scion or Toyota badges. I'm really not sure what Toyota brought to the table because just about everything other than the styling is made by Subaru.

The good thing about having Scion/Yota badges is that they lower the price for used models.

and Poogeot get 270hp from a 1.6 liter. Cucked by a french fwd.

How large are you? Tall or wide?

>turbo

Didn't they have an option for that on the Scion TC?

It will fall below 5k. The 350z fell below 5k and that started life as a more expensive car

and subi get 310hp from their turbo 2.5l

Again, cuckmobile.

Cheaper, faster, looks better, sounds better.

350hp from a 2.3L

Step it up Subaru

it needs a diesel, that'll make them sell

>Sports car
>Weighting alot less then 2,700 lbs
>Anytime

Other then Porshe almost all sports cars have been around then excluding modern day.

Veeky Forums in a single post

>>I wish they still made XYZ. I didn't buy it when it came out to show support but I'll buy it off the 5th hand market after talking shit how they should turbo it, give it awd, and 400hp for $10k

The AE86 is overpriced because of Intial D Its just a fucking RWD Corolla, it isn't fucking amazing and will get shit on by tons of cars.