Does Veeky Forums Read?

How many of you have actually read your car's owner's manual? I'm reading through mine cuz new car. You'd be surprised how many little tips and tricks are in there.

I like to read them on the shitter

My car has pretty much absolutely no functions or extra equipment

The only "useful" thing are the different bulbs, greasing guides & schedules, oil capacity and such

car didnt come with one
bought a haynes
its better
same

In my 2011 Mazda 3 manual it said no need to warm up the engine unless it hasn't been driven in a while or it is a very cold start.
Then warm it up for at least 7 seconds or so

Mine doesn't even have a key. May the lord have mercy on the next buyer when its out of warranty.

I like to think all of Veeky Forums at LEAST has read their owner's manual if not the service manual. Probably some of Veeky Forums even reads manuals for cars they don't own.

If you ask Veeky Forums a question that can be answered by the manual you'll get ridiculed.

Most cars only need the car to idle after a cold start long enough to get the oil circulating.
Beyond that you're actually damaging your car more because you're increasing the time it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature and do its job

I bought the FSM online, but I still need to buy the owner's manual. They are both scanned online though anyways. The only manuals I'll ever read.

A Haynes repair manual is better than nothing, but you should always go with the factory repair manual.

>A Haynes repair manual is better than nothing, but you should always go with the factory repair manual.
>better than nothing
>haynes
Anything useful covered in the factory manual will be covered in a haynes manual

Generally Bentley is regarded as better, and ime it has been
Unless you own a BMW then they charge you money to access their TIS system. Thank god for forums.

My personal recommendation would be 15-30 seconds. That being said, even the owner's manual for my 1985 Celica only says 10 seconds, unless it's below freezing.

Like you said, you need to give it time for the oil to go through the engine. It's better to drive gently and keep the RPMs low to warm up the engine. The goal is to have engine running cold as little as possible. If you let it idle a lot, it can spend more overall time and revolutions running cold than it would have if you started driving it.

However, I believe more modern cars do not have to be warmed up as much because they know people don't do it so they design the cars to handle that. I will still let it run for at least 10-15 seconds though.

>Like you said, you need to give it time for the oil to go through the engine. It's better to drive gently and keep the RPMs low to warm up the engine
One of my cars has a variable redline tachometer. Ice cold it is 4k while normal is 8k. So def keep the RPMs down until normal operating temperature.

There's this little gem in the 98 Pontiac Firebird owners manual. If you have either the 3800 or the ls1, you are to floor the accelerator to pass someone when already going over 35mph.

Sweet.

That is because those cars automatically shift to top gear all the time, hell, the manual had a lock out at low throttle that instead of grabbing 4 it would shove you into 6th. Or maybe 5 instead of 3?

>I bought the FSM online
Who sells those other than the dealer? My dealership's service counter refuses to sell me one for my car.

Skip shift. At low throttle inputs at low speed it will make you shift to fourth from first. Saves gas, annoys people, what's not to love! My auto is in 4th by 25 with the tq converter locked at about 33. I can see third at 35 if you need power, but all the way down is second, and second is a pretty stout gear at wot.

>not looking at the neat handbook diagrams of your cars era

I wore through the spine of the Haynes that went with my X1/9 while I was restoring it.

I flipped through the owner's manual to my Alfa the day after I got it mostly to check the service intervals.

Well, my car is a 1985 Celica so the dealer sure as hell didn't have it. I got it off eBay, so yeah, maybe you'll just have to get one off someone else who somehow got one. What reason do they give for not selling you one?

This is not true at all. I have factory service manuals that are are 100000x better than a haynes. Haynes is for faggots doing oil changes at home.

>What reason do they give for not selling you one?
It's a chevy Stealership. It generally is not too cooperative about helping people avoid using its services which is why it has no manuals for sale for both new and older cars. So, if I asked for a FSM for a 2016, it doesn't have one. You say that's to be expected due to being too new. But it also has none for sale for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2005, or 2000. Ho ho ho. It's not a dealership that is kindly on service and pricing. Certainly they have courteous prompt service. But to me it's all fake courtesy since it is paid for with stealership pricing.

I suppose I should check with the parts department at a different chebby dealership that is about 34 miles away when I am in that area next time.

Yep.
It kinda bothers me though.
The manual for my matrix was full of useful stuff.
The manual for my FoST has some useful stuff but half of it is dedicated to the fucking sync system.

>In my 2011 Mazda 3 manual it said no need to warm up the engine unless it hasn't been driven in a while or it is a very cold start.

My new GM car seems to signal me with the tachometer as to when it is ready. After starting up cold, the idle is at 1000 RPM or so. It stays there for a bit until the engine seems to warm up as the temp gauge starts to move from the zero position. At that time, the idle speed begins to drop and fairly quickly reaches a nice slow 300 to 400 RPM. When the tach gets to that point, I figure the engine oil has begun to warm up enough so I drive off.

I get a new company car every 18 months, I read the owner's manual before I pick each new car from the leasing depot (they can be downloaded in PDF from the manufacturers website)

Kinda. It came with a DVD with instruction videos.

>How many of you have actually read your car's owner's manual?

When I bought the new car, I tried to puzzle out features for the first 2 days before reading the manual. That's all part of the joy of ownership to see if things are straightforward or not.

i can't read japanese

i just looked at the cartoons

I idle mine until it drops under 1k on the tach at startup. It normal idles around 750 rpm once it's completely warm, so 1k for me is "good enough". Only takes 20-30s.

Half the owner's manual in newer cars is dedicated to the infotainment system.

My new GM car's manual still has almost all the thick manual devoted to the important basic car items and not to infotainment. There is a separate infotainment document that can be downloaded from the website. The company chose not to waste the important pages of the owner's manual on infotainment.

This.
My manual recommends shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 120 km/h.

>maybe you'll just have to get one off someone else who somehow got one.

It looks like I'll have to be the world's first one then with a purchased FSM to scan it and put it online for others to use. I can and would afford to buy it. But my problem is that I simply cannot find any seller of a factory service manual for that 2016 GM car. A lot of GM cars also seem to lack FSM for all years. It's like the manufacturer has dried up all FSM sources unless you are an authorized tech trained at their factory center. And the existing FSM are all kept secure at the dealer's own internal reference center.

I have my E30 owner's manual, dealer papers (free tow cards etc), and the E30 accessories guide somewhere around my office area. It's pretty cool

Have a PDF of factory repair manual so I'm set

>You'd be surprised how many little tips and tricks are in there.

Yeah. There are some things you can't learn from trying every button and menu in your car. That's because some buttons can do something if you press them quickly two or three times. Or if you hold the button down a long time followed by two quick presses. Such features and menu access you can only know about from reading the owner manual.

>How many of you have actually read your car's owner's manual?

It's good to read before doing anything to the car even for minor things like windshield fluid. My car says NOT to use windshield wiper fluids that have either rain or water repellant substances (so no rainx in the tank) or antifreeze. Some of the no-VOC winter wiper fluids get their low temperature rating by using a little bit of antifreeze and mineral salts. So my car can't use the wiper fluids from Rain-x brand or Prestone brand. Both are sold at wal-mart too.

Mine just says to shift up before the tachometer reaches the red.

Damn good advice, really.

Buy my first car which was a Japanese import, Manual is completely in Japanese. There is no English translated version.

All the words on the lights and radio in the car are printed in English only.

Keep checking at the website for an english translated version. You can also call your state attorney general at their tollfree number or email their automotive problems email address. Explain that they have no english instructions despite having dealership in their state selling those cars.

>common knowledge says idling is bad
>police officer bro idles his Charger 8hrs a day
>Hyundai manual says to follow "extreme maintenance" guide if idling long periods
>local mechanic bro says its fine it just wastes gas

Well, which is it? I live at hone with mom (I know) and sitting in my car for 30min to an hour in the driveway when I get home is my only real chance to unwind.

>sitting in my car for 30min to an hour in the driveway when I get home is my only real chance to unwind.
I would drive elsewhere, even a mall or park. Then I'd get out and take a walk around before heading home. By going to different spots, it breaks up any monotony. And it would not mean wasting gas or engine/oil life.