Friend gets new car

>friend gets new car
>manual transmission
>"Sometimes I like to put it into neutral before red lights since it helps me stop easier"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o8Cta2cC2Co
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you trying to imply? That popping it into neutral and coasting is a bad thing?

There is literally nothing wrong with coasting in neutral.

>since it helps me stop easier
all the posts above this one are bait

>leave car at home, need to fly to visit family
>Get in friends car thoughouy the week to hang
>Whenever we park he never puts on the parking break
>Feel car lurch forward everytime he gets off the brakes

>Parking break
Fuck my asshole

well in actual fact it does, you're only slowing down the transmission side things by braking whilst in nuetral. keeping it in gear means you're slowing everything engine, flywheel, gearbox, wheels.

lrn2inertia mate, better still lrn2manuel.

wrong
when you let off the throttle you create a vacuum in the intake
the vacuum causes the cylinders to have to work much harder in order to complete the stroke, which steals kinetic energy from the rotating assembly
if you've felt yourself lurching forward when you let off the throttle in a manual car, thats whats happening
this is also known as engine braking
when you disengage whatever gear you're in, the car is simply coasting, with no such force acting on the engine to slow it down
lrn2inertia
lrn2manuel
faggot

But engine braking more than compensates for that increased braking load. Think about it this way: the engine, with the throttle completely closed, will ALWAYS be a resistance to the flywheel and everything that's moving.

Fuck it, while I was typing this and brooding over how to formulate it, this nigger posted and said everything I was trying to say. He's right and you're wrong and you should indeed lrn2manuel.

Maybe he is still learning...
Some situations maybe that's better
Putting it in neutral,letting the clutch out or holding the clutch pedal....
If you're just trash talking your buddy,thats cool. After you drive stick for so long you're not always sure what people mean.

we've been having this thread more and more the past 3 weeks. normally we only have it once a month.

-in this accident that you're basically hoping to have, if they were traveling so fast that even with your brakes on you were thrown into the intersection, do you really think you'll be able to continue driving out of it?

-downshifting sucks, you brake with brakes, not your transmission. this is why you keep having to replace your clutch every few years. brake pads are cheaper.

you keep making this thread because it ends up in a 200 post thread every time, this doesn't mean you're fitting in on this board.

apparently we need to keep having it because we have retards like you posting in it that dont know what the fuck you're talking about

Lads,
I'm buying my first manual car tomorrow. I've only driven manual a handful of other times (a borrowed porsche, and a motorcycle if that counts).
I've read a lot of online basics, but if there's anything niche y'all have to advise on this...I'd be appreciative.
As long as your going 6k rpm, you don't even have to use the clutch when switching gears, right? :^)

Honest advice, try to babby shift it and try to feel any synchros grinding
Conversely try to bang through the gears a few times and see how it handles it
Drive it at all speeds in all gears to test for popouts

>if you've felt yourself lurching forward when you let off the throttle

Not any of the above posters... Not sure what you mean by this. Under some engine braking you clutch, neutral and lack of deceleration..
Been driving stick for a long time, drive a semi(mad engine braking to stay alive)
Not angry, just not sure what your getting at. Stick is like walking,YOU never think about it, just do it.
Also, post a random-ish pic, please

Everyone learns how to operate a manual car, but no one actually learns how to drive a manual car.

Sounds good. It's a fairly new car, < 20k miles so I'm not worried about mechanical issues...just worried about my lack of manual experience. Proper way to downshift? Proper way to start from 0 (keep foot on the brake until gear is engaged and then immediately gas it? No one uses e-brake on simple redlights, right?). Do you guys leave it in 1st at stoplights or neutral?

im talking about you
your physical self
lurching forward in your car

fuck both of you and the buses you fuckin ride on.

i've driven more miles than sperm you've killed wanking into a sock.

OP was not asking about engine braking under load, he was asking about braking whilst coasting in nuetral.

and braking whilst in nuetral, although not the accepted way to brake, does in fact slow you down EASIER, not more efficiently or effectively, FUCKIN EASIER.

don't dare to preach to me about driving, i regularly put 2000 miles a week on my cars for decades. i had one that covered 750,000 miles from the day i bought it till it was finally retired.

yes there is a correct way to brake, engine braking.
but slowing down at lights, slapping into nuetral and braking whilst coasting is in fact far EASIER.

>i've driven more miles than sperm you've killed wanking into a sock.
>don't dare to preach to me about driving, i regularly put 2000 miles a week on my cars for decades. i had one that covered 750,000 miles from the day i bought it till it was finally retired.
funny how people can be so insanely confident in their own knowledge and still be so fucking stupid, as if the amount of time spent behind the wheel makes you less of a retard

engine braking is more efficient because you're using a simple vacuum to slow the car down, instead using your brakes
engine braking reduces mechanical wear on pads and rotors, with no wear on the drivetrain
engine braking is easier because it requires literally no action beyond letting off the throttle

go fuck yourserlf

no, you go fuck your moms.

again , OP was asking about EASIER
not efficiency, EASYNESS, for lazy ass cunts.

he was not sking about component wear either, he was asking about EASIER.

>no action beyond letting off the throttle
so dipping the cltch and dropping a cog dont come into it?

if you want to get into an implying contest i will.

ok, heres a question, which pedal do you put your foot on FIRST when starting a car?
no one else but fuckwit i'm replying to is to answer that question please, i want his and only his response.

Do you faggots seriously downshift all the way to 1st before stopping at every red light and stop sign?

down to 2nd then neutral

dump trip
you don't deserve it

Why do you guys think that driving a manual trans car is a special skill?

kek, this

i drive in the city so i usually dont spend much time in 4th or above
i can get through my entire commute in third gear if i want

i realize that doesnt answer the question
the answer is i dont have to because i can engine brake sufficiently in third gear without having to do anything

Fucking retards lmao
if I'm travelling in 5th and I come to a red light I'd rather downshift to 4th or 3rd and then neutral and stop.

Who the fuck is autistic enough to row all the way down to 2nd and neutral?

Don't worry about downshifting if it's your first time driving this manual car and you're a beginner manual driver for that matter. Look up videos on how to drive a manual. Your first time it's all about being casual and relaxed, worry about banging gears later. Get used to the pedals before you turn the car on, then get used to the gas with the car on in neutral, then find the bite point of the clutch. If you are comfortable with the shifter then at this point you could drive someone to the hospital in an emergency but don't think you're an expert stick driver

>16267019
well well well, tripfag get BTFOD once again

>Not putting clutch in and going down to first

Automatics are faster than manuals anyway. It's not as if manuals were fit to be a consequential driving option. They're simply outdated technology from the 1900s, and you act like your masculinity relies on it.

>when you let off the throttle you create a vacuum in the intake
>you create a vacuum in the intake
>vacuum in the intake
You know how vacuum pressure works right?
Its the boost (positive pressure) that slows down the engine, in conjuction with the shear mechanical effort of acually moving everything in the engine. Vacuum would make it easier to move, like hydraulic power brakes.

>Who the fuck is autistic enough to row all the way down to 2nd and neutral?

hi

>i've been a retard for years so it means i'm right!
lmao

>he doesn't blip from 5th to 1st

Oh.
Is he still learning?

Somebody that enjoys shifting.
It's alright,your a girl,you have no idea how to shift,just continue to suck sick and you'll be fine.

google engine braking

I said I DID do that you spastic

>drive manual for awhile
>didn't know you could just pop the gear into neutral if you're off the gas

So much simpler than downshifting.

its threads like this that truly show just how many retards browse this board acting like they know everything
youtube.com/watch?v=o8Cta2cC2Co

So your friend is smart and you are stupid OP? I've been driving 16 years, I do this all the time. Who the fuck are you trying to impress down shifting all the gears and wearing out the clutch faster?

>I like to destroy my synchros

My room are is tho opposite literally always in gear and riding the clutch

Would rather replace brake pads than drivetrain components