>post what you've fixed on it recently
>post what you've upgraded
>post how much you love the damned thing
>post anything BMW

Other urls found in this thread:

condorspeedshop.com/products/condor-weighted-shift-knobs
rennstall.bigcartel.com/product/rskt1-gold
rennstall.bigcartel.com/product/rennstall-type-1-shift-knob-delrin
unofficialbmw.com/e30/suspension/rear_subframe_bushings/e30_trailing_arm_removal.html
ebay.ca/itm/1994-BMW-8-Series-Coupe-/252668349323?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ad4350b8b:g:hHkAAOSwzaJX~rIz&item=252668349323&rmvSB=true
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5884596307.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, previous thread: We hit bump limit last thread, good job guys.

do i buy or nah

I suppose they can look good, I don't know if 19" wheels would be too large for stock fenders though. Not the biggest fan of LMs but they fit e39 better than my e36 because of the curves.

Clean af

You want to put $6k wheels on a 540 wagon? Why?

Looking at E46's, I know about the VANOs issues with them, but what about the AWD?

Found a decent one and I can probably get the price down a bit, is the AWD going to give me a headache?

I really want Rotiform USFs for my M3. If only I could find a used set, because $6k is quite a bit to spend for wheels that would cost half of the purhase price of the car haha.

ty

Where do you live? From what I have heard, RWD BMWs peform pretty amazing in snow. An AWD is probably overkill unless you regularly take on unpaved roads or live where the blizzards are more than just your MMO developer.

>buy '89 alpinweiss II e30 for first car
>learn how to drive with it
>fall in love, fix small things here and there
>get M-tech steering wheel, color matched 80s roof rack for bmx bike
>get military orders to Alaska
>fearful of an older RWD car in snow, sell to brother
>get to AK, realize it would have been completely fine
>they don't salt the roads so no rust issues, doesn't really get that cold often
>miss out on 5 winters of RWD driving experience

Feels bad man, I miss it often. Pic related. He still has it, will probably buy it back one day..

Okay, down to two options...
Well, sort of three. Probably just between the first two, though.

$129 - Condor Weighted Tall - Delrin
condorspeedshop.com/products/condor-weighted-shift-knobs

$169 - Rennstall Type 1 - 24K Gold
rennstall.bigcartel.com/product/rskt1-gold

$99 - Rennstall Type 1 - Delrin
rennstall.bigcartel.com/product/rennstall-type-1-shift-knob-delrin

Given the e30's fame for rallye, it would be hard to imagine it not being a good choice for AK.

>Owned an 85 318i and fell in love. >Bought a 318is since I developed a heavy foot from flooring the m10 daily for 4 years
>almost our one year anniversary I busted the oil pan and fuckes the motor

Just got her back yesterday. It's been in the shop months. New m42, bearings, rods, rails&guides, cam rotated for low end.

Tfw I spent nearly what I paid for it. But that's how much I love it.

Has bilstein/h&r combo. She's a slicktop also

Wish I had some better pics but the one above is mine

Were slicktops rare on e30s like they were on e36s?

Very nice red!

opinions on tourings?

looking at a couple 2002's, both have a little over 80k miles.

I'm experienced with the M54 engines but not with e46's, i know i'd have to immediately start working on the cooling system and cltuch fan so it doesn't explode. also rear springs probably.

Anything important thats E46 specific that applies to these 2002's?

They're both non Xi 320's, basically the slowest m54 but thats fine, if all goes well i'd do an s54 swap someday.

>they only sold base model tourings where i live

pic semi related, what i'd like to do to one.

Poor thing has been sitting in a garage for the last four months.

>ps bolts backed out on freeway
>bracket snapped
>belts proceed to shit themselves
>cooling system temperature skyrockets
>pisses coolant out of the burst middle radiator hose
>pulleys are crapped out
>needs $1200 in parts just to fix this problem
>more unrelated issues as well.

My dear friend I wish I could fix you, but other life expenses are preventing me from taking care. I feel as if my heart and soul are sapped as you sit trapped in the garage.

tfw no e31

i can only find v12 ones :(
i don't care if its automatic

>yfw smol compared to godmachine

im sorry to hear that user

hope you get her fixed and riding through twisties soon!

Is the F30 328i or E92 330d good?

i would rather get the 330d because it's actually 6 cylinder and not a twinscroll i4, which in my opinion sounds terrible

oh my god those 2 cars is my dream combo

>RWD BMWs peform pretty amazing in snow

i live in Bulgaria, and it's literally a nation wide meme that, when it starts snowing, it's time for BMW owners to use public transport.

Neither are. Just get a gas E9x.

Did plugs/coils this weekend, huge pain

I love to drive my e30 in cold and slippery roads with bad weather.

Any e39 540i wagons?

V8s are pretty uncommon compared to v12s.
They built more v12s

Nice photo!

Threadly reminder M240i/E92 335i are übermensch

>when an audi nigger drives near me

Gentlemen

I finally did it /bmw/, I finally did work on my own car. I always said I would, but I knew I was a faggot deep down. I replaced the radiator hoses on my E21, which honestly took me about 2 hours, but it felt good. Felt like a retard, but it felt rewarding.

I'm a college student with a basic income. What do you guys recommend? I want something reliable and fun to drive with great MPG.

And I don't want to pay a ton on maintenance.
Something newer would be cool

E36 325i
E39 540i depending on how inclined you are

Kek check the first result when you google e39 540i

It's a great car, people are just retarded and post stupid clickbait nonsense
Get what you want

hehe'd

Also, mfw the rather infamous (on /p/ at least) ken memelord rockwell is the 4th result

yes only on a portion of the 91 318is's. I do kind of miss the huge sunroof of an e30 during summer however.

I just got an E30 325is/5 and it's in pretty good condition, but the suspension does a few things that kinda worry me. When I'm going slowly and I push the clutch in, change gears, or let the clutch out, I hear a clunking sound that I think is with coming from my subframe or my differential. How can I check what is making the sound? I don't have a shop or anything to do work in, and I know that suspension bushings are a pretty big job.

The E30 sunroof is great. I thought I would miss having glass but it's actually nicer than the one on my previous car.

Is this where I go to get murdered?

Hey guys can I get this pic without the text thanks

nah. wtf are you 20 years old and stupid? save that money for a downpayment on a house assuming you're not some subject of a royal family in some future muslim caliphate land. spend tomorrow. save today. your youth will thank you later.

differential/driveshaft bushings

This? I think they call it the guibo?
I'll look into diff bushings too.

:^)

Decided I want to change platforms. What should I ask for my 1990 525i?
Mismatched interior, great condition exterior. 400k, rebuilt 20k ago.

Easily reclaimed/pretty clean E30s for for around $5k in my area.

Benchracing faggot here, I occasionally lurk Veeky Forums for fun but I need advice from you guys.

I'm about to buy a BMW 525i for 2500€. First registered in 2000, driven 340000 km but the engine has 150000 km behind it. It comes from an old family friend I trust, so it's /probably/ not about to blow up on me. Driving it is pure bliss, I believe this is a steal.

This is my first ever car purchase, should I go for it? Is there something I should know about this model in specific?

Kinda sucks that it's an estate wagon but it's not a deal breaker.

So what do you think of my baby guys?

Classy.

Wagons are awesome, man.

Couldn't say but it does look clean on the outside!

wagons are fucking sick

go for it

Welp, the deed is done. I guess I'm /bmw/ now. Driving it makes me so happy, easily the best driving experience I've ever had. I'm pretty broke for now, but I don't regret it.

Until something breaks and I need to learn how to fix the damn thing.

Wow that looks nice.

that toned tanned leg makes me want to stick my dick in the exhaust pipe

What does this mean??

Never bought a car with an exceeds mechanical limits title.

It explains it very clearly in your image

Pic I took the. I was looking at the car.

Guy said he wants $4,500. Old Mexican man.

Yeah, but clearly the car doesn't have a 5 digit odometer.

Was it turned back by some guy in order to sell and only discovered later?

Car is pretty clean with very minimal rust.

Fuck

Just bought a cobb tuner that wasnt unpaired from its previous installation

Pajeet got me for $250

Fuck cobb as well for integrating this jewery into the accessport as well. Its a fucking tuner, not a nuclear football.

Probably malfunctioned, 188k miles is the only thing that makes sense from the record. Nobody is going to roll an odo back to 5k miles to trick someone into thinking a base E30 is a magical barn find. The price doesn't seem to unreasonable, looks like it's a well cared for car.

Rust. Look harder. Inside fenders, floor pans, bottom side of rockers, trunk area, the piece from tail light to tail light right underneath the trunk. All surface rust will be three times bigger than the paint bubble. If it isn't too bad its worth close to the ask. Jew him down to $3500 on any issues and enjoy the ride.

Maybe the dash got fubar and he replaced it with another one, or he might be tricking you. You'll have to inspect it yourself and decide.

so clean

Fuck
I hit a curb sideways
Do you think I can change trailing arms in my driveway? They're so fucking expensive. Do you think I'd be OK getting one from pull-a-part or even eBay? They're like $1700 on Bavarian auto.
Also if it's not a trailing arm, what could it be? There isn't much to an E30's rear suspension.

Hektik skidz gone wrong

Almost

i bougth a 2003 320d touring with 90k miles last week for my daily car

it's lovely

You should be able to in your driveway, as long as you have the right tools. It would either be the trailing arm, or the entire rear suspension carrier as in pic related (carrier is 1, trailing arm is 8). Wouldn't know without looking, jack up the car and see if the entire carrier is bent. Hopefully it's just the trailing arm, and considering the angle the wheel is at it's probably just the arm. If you can, grab the part from a pick and pull, because grabbing new OEM will be expensive. Ebay should have some maybe around $200 plus whatever for shipping. You'll be fine grabbing used. If you can't find an E30 specific arm, you can grab one from an E36 318ti, since the ti is the only e36 that shares the same rear suspension as the E30.

uh, pic related

And, heres the resource I used to replace my rear arm when things got too hektik, unfortunately the pictures are all missing but the text should help

unofficialbmw.com/e30/suspension/rear_subframe_bushings/e30_trailing_arm_removal.html

Thank you very much. I'll read through that. It's also nice to see I'm not the only one who fucked up.
I looked at the carrier and it doesn't look like that's the problem, I think the hub is just bent on the trailing arm. There's one E30 and one ti at my local pull apart so I'll head down there some time and check it out.

Do you think it's OK to drive like this for a few days? I'm going to get new tires anyway.

As he said, you should probably inspect it first. Maybe provide a photo or two.

I'll take the wheel off and try to get some pictures when it's light out.
Like I said, I think I can see what's damaged.
Here's a picture from the front.

What do you guys think of 633CSIs? Found one in perfect shape for me (flawless with busted clearcoat) for a good price. Still looking hard for an 840 but none have popped up lately.

The camshafts on the M30 are a weak point. I'd get an aftermarket one because it will likely be work down.
Also the automatic transmission in those is very unreliable, make sure to get a manual.

ask a bmw tech anything

will there ever be a car with an interior as simple and user friendly as the e46?

It's a 5 speed.

How many hours does an X5 timing cover seal pay and how long does it take you? How about an X3 transfer case actuator?

E30s report in.

Very nice, I wish mine was a slicktop, I do not miss the M42 though. Hateful little engine, noisy, leaky thing that vibrated like a giant pager on crack.

Good job nitz. You're going to have to drop the subframe. You'll need 2 jacks and a full day to do it. Don't even bother if you're not going to replace the subframe, trailing arm and diff bushings while you're in there. The hardest part of all of this will be getting the subframe bushing aluminum out of the body (it's going to be corroded in there) and the brake lines/handbrake cables undone (also will be corroded solid).

It's a mistake. The odometer always breaks in E30s, it was probably just stopped. There's no way the car has 88,000mi on it.

no clue off the top of my head.
i assume youre talking about m62 timing covers? and what year x3?

If I have enough mechanical ability to rebuild my dual sport motorcycle, but not much car experience, how am I going to do when it comes time to rebuild my e46?

if you can follow instructions and use a torque wrench, youll be fine.
also make note of the wiring, and which side of the engine the parts came off of ( vanos gears, etc).

>Good job nitz.
pls no bully
>You're going to have to drop the subframe.
Why not just replace the trailing arm and be done with it?
>Don't even bother if you're not going to replace the subframe, trailing arm and diff bushings while you're in there.
I planned on doing this anyway, but I guess I can do it all then.
You mean that I only need to replace rubber and the one trailing arm, right? I'm not worried about getting bushings, but all the metal pieces seem really expensive.
Also I'm not worried about getting all the corroded shit out, I have a lot of penetrating oil and a lot of time.

What'd you swap in? Yeah I wish I had a 6 banger in there but m42 is nice is you need something sturdy and Maintenance free. Since I fucked the old motor, to save money and time I just stuck with a new (used) stock motor. It's got new rails, guides, bearings and rods, and the cams been rotated for a little more bottom end. It also had a turner chip in it when I bought it i didn't even know. It certainly feels peppier freshened up.

Try skidding a lot in the opposite direction lol

My old M3's speed sensor shattered while driving through the mountains, so I drove for at least half a year without adding to the odo haha.

E30 odometers break because the gears are made of cheese, and even when you fix the gears you wind up with a dead odometer because something on the board has failed.

2015 328i SULEV with 19k miles for $22k

Good deal?

itll be a car

seems cheap as hell actually

I am just suspicious of the price. Its from a BMW dealer tho. These BMWs seems to plummet in price.

Depends on the condition.

>narrow wheels with stretched low profile tires
>center caps missing
that's not fitment it's shitment

If I was looking for an 840i I would be all over this one:

ebay.ca/itm/1994-BMW-8-Series-Coupe-/252668349323?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ad4350b8b:g:hHkAAOSwzaJX~rIz&item=252668349323&rmvSB=true

He had it listed for $12500 I think. Would probably take 10 g.

E30 m3?

Given the e30s notoriety for odometers going out (although I fixed mine) I wonder if it'd be worth getting an antique auto tag for cheaper insurance (you can only put a max number of miles on per year) and kinda cheat the system. Unplugging the speed sensor from the diff will shut off odometer.

For me, 633CSI > 840
I prefer the looks of the old 6 series to the 8 series, and I like the M30 more than the M6X. Plus, turbocharging a 633CSI (which I would do without a doubt) is much easier than turbocharging an 840, because the 840 engine bay is more cramped.

Ihr scheiß Ami Preißn, BWM dearfst scho kaffa, aber hier her kemma, bitte ned!

Do you guys keep lists of what you need to do?

There's better ones in my area for less.
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5884596307.html
I'm not looking to buy a good example, I want something that I can paint or repair so I can can drive it for a bit then turn it over for a profit.

Here, I'm in love. Ruining my studded tires on a snowy parking lot after closing time is the most fun I've had in my life. I will never buy another FWD car if I can help it.

This. I wish I knew this back when I was spending like an idiot. God dammit.