Raise your hand if you fell for the "change your own oil" meme

Raise your hand if you fell for the "change your own oil" meme

>changing your oil at all
if it was in the ground for millions of years why wouldn't it last the whole life of the car?

How is it a meme?

It is ezpz, I know it is done right, and I get to leave the drain bolt out for hours so I know every last drop of gunk has run out.

Why is this a meme? With a Fumoto drain valve and a pair of nitrile gloves I can replace 7 qts of Valvoline Platinum synthetic and OEM filter for $40 in less than 20 minutes. While drinking a beer. I don't even get my hands dirty.

Good to go for 8K miles.

Raise your hand if you fell for the "Raise your hand if you fell for the "change your own oil" meme" meme.

yiss

I changed it myself,
Felt great about myself and gained confidence in my ability to not rely on others to fix my possessions.
I saved money and didn't have to let some "lube tech" underachiever who couldn't finish school touch my car.
Became more familiar with the parts of my vehicle in case I need to perform more maintenance.
>change your own oil meme
Did babby try to change their oil without doing the proper research?

>replacing motor oil with more motor oil

If you do that, you'all just have to keep replacing the oil again and again and again for as long as you have the car. That's retarded.

Replace it with a durable oil like hydraulic fluid, it will actually last and you won't have to keep changing it

>Raise your hand if you fell for the "raise you hand if you fell for the change your own oil meme"
Raise your hand if you fell for the "raise your hand if you fell for the 'raise your had if you fell for the 'change your own oil meme''"

Because some people shouldn't be working on their own car.

I do, and I change other people's oil for 8 hours a day in exchange for money as well.

Get fucken rekt op

Raise your hand if you fell for the "Raise your hand if you fell for the "Raise your hand if you fell for the "raise your hand if you fell for the 'raise your had if you fell for the 'change your own oil meme''" meme

>Fumoto drain valve
Those break off.

same
i get to do my oil changes myself and have the benefit of free oil, filters, and every other fluid my car needs

Remember to change out your oil with antifreeze in the winter to keep your engine from freezing up

Gee bill, your mom let you have TEN quarts?

That's actually about 8.5 quarts, yuros get bottles in 4 liter size instead of 5 quart size.

To be fair I haven't touched the sparkplugs since I got the car from a friend

>tfw my engine needs only 2,3l
feels good man

>I saved money and didn't have to let some "lube tech" underachiever who couldn't finish school touch my car.

but when you're a quart low the engine's fucked

The Engine doesn´t need that much oil, also
>not checking you oil level at least once a week

>15 mins for an oil change on my car
>free oil from work
what meme?

Mercedes was a 2.4 and it took the entire 8 liters/8.5 quarts...

Hilux is a 2.5 (altho a diesel), and takes 7.1

I don´t have a 2,3 l engine, i have 2,3l of oil in my engine.

I understood that, I was just talking about how much oil there are in these quite small engines

Mercedes does that to stretch the intervals and still allow non synthetic oils.

I actually enjoy doing it and I save money every time so fuck you OP

>Working on your own car is a meme
I guess I am a meme master

Only if you're a stancefag

>loser tech
>research oil
Did you refine the shit yourself?
>confidence for working on a car
kek

The diesel is not surprising in the least as I know 2.0l diesels that require 8l of oil.

The Mercedes is a lot for a gasoline engine of that size but as another user said it's likely to be for stretching intervals or what is more likely is that Mercedes knows their customer and then dealer servicing is likely which means lots of "Authentic Mercedes" motor oil sold

It's ruined. May as well part it out.

Then you know nothing.

2.0L diesels require around 4.5L of oil.

Now piss off.

Because the filters can't outlast the oil. If the filter gets dirty then the rest of the oil get dirty.

>OK, them change only the filter

Good luck and good luck changing it after the first ride since the old oil was already dirty. The cycle will never end unless you change both our get a better filter.

>oem filter

nope, I got 5 free changes from the dealer with my car. Used two of them so far and it's 0W, so they can't use conventional. after the 5 changes, I'll do it myself like I used to

And coolant for the summer to keep it cool

Not worth the time, and then trouble to get rid of my own oil. The changes are so cheap, and I sit in the garage to make sure I get the right oil. Worth the extra $10 to let some faggot do it.

>Be me, changing oil in the street in a neighborhood full of hippies/yuppies.
>pouring my used oil into a container. Fill up the container, how the fuck is there this much oil in a 1.6 liter engine?
>Get another container and fill it up. After filling it up I move aside, while doing so i knock down the first container that I didn't cap correctly. Oil pours all over the fucking street, including all over my shoes.
>Panic, get a hose and try and spray it off the street before anyone realizes. Older couple walks by and questions me about what I'm doing. i explain that it's a small oil spill and i'm dealing with it. They lip me off about my environmental impact and how im destroying the street with my oil and cars. i apologize but the couple continue to scould me while i finish my oil change.
>5 minutes later i have a cop car pull up and question me for changing oil in the street. Gives me a warning about working on my car in the street, apparently it's a "Safety hazard.
Bullshit meme. Ruined my shoes.

If you are incapable of changing your oil you shouldn´t do it...

>Crown vic needed exactly 5 quarts with filter
>mitsu outlander needs 4.9 quarts
FUCK OFF

>literally one bolt and a filter
How do people have such a hard time doing this, it is no more difficult than rotating your tires.

I didn't know there was a certain way of rotating tires depending on drive wheel layout... Interesting.

This is wrong for most modern tires as they are made to rotate one way. Changing like illustrated would give your vehicle less grip.

Thanks for the heads up. I should do some research on the subject, myself.

Those diagrams usually have one showing what to do with directional tires.

It is literally just taking the one of the front, putting it on the back and putting the back on the front of the same side.

fucking retard lol

>drain oil
>replace filter
>refill with proper type and amount of oil
Wow so hard

If you are changing in the street then it is a safety hazard, you could get run the fuck over. If you don't have a driveway/garage or anything similar, find somewhere that does.

just pour it down the stormdrain like I do

>Dad's friend is a mechanic
>Can either spend $20 on a new filter and oil and have to crawl under my car to change it or just take it to him and give him $20 for a new filter, oil, and he'll put it on the lift and change it

nu-age beta cuck male represent

Is there really any other option?

>paying a legit shop a shitload more money than an oil change is worth

>having the middle school dropout at "EZ Lube" drain and fill it with 10x30 regardless of what type of oil you car actually uses, while stripping the drain bolt threads and wiping the dirt off the old oil filter so it looks like a new one

>Depending on other people to do easy tasks.
Nu-age beta cuck indeed

Once the guy is good and the price is right there is nothing wrong with it.

I change my own oil because I don't get any freebies and my vehicle is a truck so I don't need to jack it up.

This.

At first I didn't believe the "mechanics are all money grubbing shits" meme, then I went in for a $19.99 oil change that some place had a sign advertising for.

>So it's only gonna cost $19.99 right? No weird hidden fees?
>Yeah for sure

And then during my like 30 minute wait the guy comes back out, tells me whoever changed the oil the last time tightened the bolt too much and they stripped it when taking it back out, "Oh it's just like less than a dollar for a replacement" ok sure whatever. Then he comes back with the keys and a bill for like $40

>You said it was only going to be $19.99, was that bolt really another $20?
>OH WELL THERE'S ACTUALLY A DISPOSAL FEE WE DIDN'T MENTION, AND LABOR COSTS, AND TAX

They make you want to hate them, I don't get it.

>5.0 Windsor
>5L of oil with filter
>Oil comes in 5L jug

Effortless job

Lemme guess, you wear Vans or some other expensive brand of flimsy and borderline useless shoes for hipsters.

I was discussing this with my wife yesterday after her boyfriend left.

When ever I let him use the car he breaks something dumb every time I find it'so easier to just pay someone else to do the work. I totally agree with you.

With rotational tires you just do front/back, unless you really feel the need to dismount each tire and flip them around on the wheel to be able to do the cross anyway, which no one does.

>have to drop my skid plate to change filter

Shit design, toyota

>tfw I actually know someone whose wife brings around men often and they drive around his cars
>they argue often, loud enough for any neighbor gear him call her a cheating whore while he cries, and he complains that she does nothing but "stay home all day" at the bar and tries to engage in "man talk"

He knows he's a cuck. Everyone knows he's a cuck. He just doesn't realize everyone else knows.

>His wrangler has super swampers

>buy my own car
>drive my own car
>install parts on my car
>even consider PAYING someone else to do maintenance on my car

I get it if you're a numale who's never gotten his hands dirty, but why would any average joe waste money when it's so easy to do it yourself?

it's more expensive to do it yourself, that's why

If you want decent oil it is cheaper, if you want mineral 20wXX shitboxoil you can let other people do it.

I hate vans AND thing they're shitty hipster shoes, but they're cheap as fuck and last my friends about a year. If you think they're expensive then you should try and get a job that pays better than minimum.

why would i want anything better than mineral 20wxx shitbox oil in my shitbox?

i dunno man, shit oil isnt expensive either
$12 for 5L, $5 fram filter

personally i usually pay 20-25 for decent oil and 10 bucks for a wix

Because 20w oil isn´t going to be liquid enough in the winter to be pumped to the bearings etc. and the wear on your engine gets pretty high.
Also mineral oils break down earlyier, so you it will be to thin at higher temperatures.

If they have one price for every amount of oil a engine needs and you need much you could save some money, my shitbox needs only 2,3l of oil, so I wouldn´t save anything.
If you would need like 10l of oil it might be different.
But you would pay more than that saved money later since the engine would wear out earlier.

>incorrect number of quotation marks, sentence not closed
>nesting fail

/g/ would scold you for trying to unroll a recursive loop by hand.

>tfw 15 quarts

>ywn replace 108 quarts of oil in your trusty dozer

sucks man, my pathetic toyota only holds 5.5

it's not fun, trust me

What engine?

>didn't have to let some "lube tech" underachiever who couldn't finish school touch my car.

My guess is 7.3 Powerstroke

Yep

i've been wrestling the filter that the last guy put in my car and i cant get it out because of wrenches.

shouldn't hand-tight be enough when installing an oil filter anyways?

stab through it with a big screwdriver and turn

>7.3 Powerstroke

>7.3l
>Power
>sub 200kw

Lol, is it at least efficient?

The real gunk settles in the bottom of the pan, it doesn't drain out the hole. You need to use an engine enema to clean that nasty shit out proper m8.

But you drive a crusty shitbox, so who gives a fuck anyways.

Hehe, tenant has an Excursion with that thing... sweet engine

It should, but a lot of folks overtighten and/or dont rub oil on the gasket before screwing the filter on. I use a breaker bar & a cup like pictured to remove, and then I hand-tighten as much as I can and use the breaker bar to do another 1/4th of a round to make sure it sits tight

thanks m8. dont know why i hadn't though of that

>$100 - $110 for a synthetic oil change
>$200 for decent ramps
And that's how I saved at least $50 per oil change.

>450 lb ft
I mean it'll get like 20mpg if you drive like a grandma and stay off the turbo.

>450 lb ft
Doesn´t benefit you much, torque alone is worth nothing.
If you would gear a lower torqe engine with the same power shorter you would have the same wheel torque.

Also that is about 12l/100km, what is the point of a diesel if it isn´t even efficient?

>thinks they don't put recycled oil in mobil1/royal purple bottles for people like you

Muh Vulva Nigger

I was unaware it was a meme, rather than common sense.

I've got a 1981 240 man, I know that feel

>using Castrol GTX
Knife yourself in the temple

Why is it so bad?

>needing ramps
>not having 12 inches of ground clearance so you dont even need to take her off the ground
shiggy diggy m8

>tfw my w210 takes 5.5 quarts and oil change approaches $50 to do myself

>doesn't even know his engine's oil capacity and uses a container that can't hold it

Tundra?