Good daily-able 4x4 for under $6000?

Looking for a small-midsize truck or SUV with 4 wheel drive for under $6000.

I don't need anything hardcore, I just want to be able to explore the mountains around where I live (Seattle). Has to be comfortable on the highway, and daily drivable since I don't have space for two cars. Better than 15 MPG would be rad as fuck.

Any ideas? I've heard Rangers are good. I was really interested in Toyotas, but the 4 cylinders are underpowered and the 6 cylinder ones like to explode I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Skip the Toyota's they are great trucks but carry a meme tax that makes them not worth it.

I recently bought a ka24e 4x4 nissan hardbody for 1700$ I quite like it, its slow as shit but 4x4. only replaced the thermostat and water pump so far, due to overheating myself, it was easy but you really got be careful with gaskets on it.

its been pretty reliable other than that.

XJ

Those trucks are absolute garbage.
Toyota is your best best. Early tacoma for 6k would have low miles. Read up on options though. Certain trims and years had locking diff

Second gen Ford Exploder

>buying an objectively better brand is a bad idea because of online memes

Lol junk
Lol spark plug gun

> meme tax

as in,

> ricer tax

as in, you're a fucking moron

>buying a truck that is at best slightly better than it's competitors
>paying twice for the truck because it's a toyota

Memes on top of memes

That's not an XJ you twit.

>memelords and ricelords drove the price up slightly so now it doesnt make sense to buy it

>buying something that is worse only to pay more in the long run

Oh sorry. All shit looks the same

If you're gonna shitpost, use better images pls.

Weak bait, 2/10

>coming onto the automobile section of a japanese cartoon imageboard and expecting quality bait

also: assmad hilfag spotted

What? A dana 30 breaks in half when you flog the shit out of it on 35x13.50 TSL's?? who knew? Idiot.

Love my XJ, Its my dd, 4.0L is stupid reliable. 31" mud terrains on it, itll go anywhere I need my DD to go and then some.

>haha lets spend $1000 on giant tires and $500 on a winch and take it off trail before fixing one of the XJ's only issues as an offroader, the weak front axles

An XJ is exactly what you want.
>cheap cheap cheap
>perfect for light offroading
>if you get one that doesn't have 300k fucking miles on it and don't do retarded lifts and tires they handle great at 90MPH and get 15+MPG unless your traffic is complete stop and go
>drivetrain is reliable as fuck if you don't beat it like a wife in the 50's
>repairs are cheap as fuck
>repairs are easy as fuck as long as the bolts aren't all rust welded

Buy one for $2500, put $1500 into the random shit it will need and use the rest for sik mawds and you'll have a better vehicle than any truck you could get for $6000.

>reliable
Kek
They literally self destruct

Get a 2G Montero. They are worth nothing now and you get a lot of 4x4 for the money.

All come standard with
>2WD Hi
>4WD Hi
>4WD Hi Center Locked
>4WD Low Center Locked

Cold weather packages will come with a electronic locking rear diff.

In stock form you should be fine for the fire trails. People have done the rubicon with them stock.

>enjoy replacing diffs, u-joints, motor mounts
>fixing rust
>steering column falling out
>seats breaking
>oil leaks constantly
>floppy unibody
They are shit

Second gen Exploder

>things that don't happen if you actually take care of the thing and find one without 300k miles on it the post

> broken stud

You've never turned a wrench before have you?

Lol jeep fags

If you are just exploring on trails anything with good clearance, part time 4x4 and ok tires will be more than sufficient.

There was a Belgian couple that drove through the Congo with no lockers, no winch and no suspension mods with a Land cruiser 70.

While the type of vehicle did play a part they got themselves into situations where they had to damage their vehicle to get it moving forward and that was their easiest choice at the time. A situation you'd probably avoid. They also ran across other vehicles, primarily 2wd trucks, on their travels.

expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

Your best bet would be getting something that you don't mind scratching on some branches because that alone will open up more untraveled trails than lockers, super swampers, a winch and a shiny paint job. Even if it is 2wd

all typical shit of any vehicle with high mileage and/or little to no maintenance regardless of the brand

>common jeep issues even at low miles
>typical shit
Yup jeep is shit

If you can come up a little bit, Titans are getting cheap. Mine has 180k miles and it's been great. Just watch the front C-clip on the differential, the early models will fall out and ruin the diff. It's an easy fix.

That's a ZJ

>baiting this hard with that image
They literally tore that out of two feet of mud with a pickup, that would break the axle off of almost anything.

I don't like jeeps but pulling anything by the front axle is the stupidest move you can make.

They should have just stuck to jeep rated trails.

>Second gen Ford Exploder
>spark plug gun

What are you a retard or something?

The ford 5.4 and 4.6 are the engines which shoot out the plugs. especially the 3v versions.

Second gen explorers are 95-01
engines included are
4.0 ohv
4.0 sohc
5.0 302 ohv

sohc 4.0 a shit

5.0 and 4.0 ohv are fucking built like tanks, and have no problem with shooting plugs. Both blocks are made of iron m8. Go be a meme busrider somewhere else.

Yank points are important

>Wah i overpaid for my high mileage POS xj
>wah it wen t and broke on me when I flogged the shit out of it after stuffing huge tires on it
>wah all jeeps are shit wah

>implying i would ever buy a jeep
I know how to do research and form an opinion.
Jeep is absolute trash.

>I know how to look up pictures of fucked jeeps
>I can form my own opinions, ma!

So easy to trigger jeep fags

OP here, the Explorer interests me. Does anyone have ANYTHING to say about Rangers? At all? I'm not a Ford cuck or anything, but I do work for Mazda so Ranger/Exploder parts are cheap for me to get.

Toyotas are expensive as all fuck out here in the PNW so I can't really afford one that doesn't have 200,000+ miles on it.

Also, is the Auto/Manual controversy meme as big of a thing with offroad guys? It seems like autos would be better in most circumstances since they don't have a clutch to ruin when going slow.

Rangers and explorers seem to have wildly mixed reviews.
It may come down to the day it was made honestly.

02-05 Explorers are awful, 95-01 are GOAT, plus they made millions of them so parts are everywhere.

Rangers are decent, I'm not a fan of the SOHC 4.0 but it works.

What's wrong with the SOHC 4.0?

How moddable are Explorers? Part of the reason I was looking at Rangers was because of aftermarket support.

my ranger has done fine for the two years i've had it. 92 with the ohv 4.0l v6 and m5odr1 5 speed, ~240000 miles so far

>muh jeeps only
>a literal dirt track that could be accomplished in a fwd corolla

forgot pic

This. Apart from an otherwise decent 6G V6, the drive train is comparable to Landcruisers in terms of strength. Go for the 4M40 diesel if available in your area OP. Otherwise the 3.5 V6 is still adequate.

*whoosh*

Not OP but looking for something similar. Found a 1999 GMC Jimmy with 180k kms for 3k cdn. Almost mint condition. Anybody have any experience with these things? Pretty sure it has the v6.

Looks like a lifted Pantera or Deloreon.

You don't need to have awd to go off road. Your grandpa didn't have it. You're a fucking wussy cuck ass bitch for buying into the 4wd jew meme.
Get a 2wd ranger with a 4cyl and when people talk shit, ask them how much off roading they do with their lifted luxury barge faggot trucks. They don't fucking kiss dirt unless they go over a fucking mall curb.

Buy the shit truck for cheap. Then you can bolt on a bit of protection for it and not be afraid of breaking anything. Because it'll be cheap to replace.

>How moddable are Explorers?

They are probably the most common modern SUV in North America, anything you want to do to them you can.

It's fuckwit logic like this that leaves tracks in unserviceable condition and a 2wd trucks with broken front ends strewed through the bush because they have to be driven so much harder to make it through.
Consider suicide.

>GMT400 whether it be a full size truck, S10/Sonoma, Suburban, etc
>Square body GM if you're more serious about the offroad aspect
>Geo Tracker
>4runner or land cruiser
>XJ
>Mountaineer/Explorer
>Isuzu trooper maybe

Also Nissan WD21

other than the lolrust, what are other common issues with first gen (2001 specifically) Tundras? There's one in my area going for $3000 CAD, has a manifold leak, and need new rotor/brakes

the 3V spark plug issue was completely different. they were two-piece plugs that broke off when you tried to change them.

if you're going to call someone a retard you should try not being a retard.

I used to have a 2wd '91 and although not 4x4, i loved that fucking truck. it took so much abuse and still kept going and going... Transmission went out, had a piece of shit shop repair, didn't last a year, then my father scrapped it because his name was on the title at the time.. I miss that fucking truck..

Explorers are fun.They also come in all shapes and sizes, find a Saleen and be the envy of all.

you're fucking retarded

How so m8?

This is a great fucking read user, thank you.

Get 1st Gen Xterra with the 3.3l
99-04

3rd gen 4Runner

Go to the off-road general thread. There are a few rangers there.

That is clearly not a stock ZJ, what is the point of these images?

Haha. Peepee Caca. Poopy. Farrrrrrrrt.

sound advice
not sure why all these autists are losing their shit and replying to your comment this way

but toyota's are objectively the worst choice because of their desirability and high price

watch for cracked heads and headgaskets
but especially the heads

they are fine if not pushed too hard

see these all the time
but i shudder when looking up parts on ebay

see

mate, that truck is fucking top

Easy triggers

Rangers are uncomfortable and unreliable.
Tacomas are overpriced and rust to death.
4Runners are overpriced.
Harbodies are uncomfortable.
XJs are uncomfortable.
Wranglers are overpriced and terrible on the highway.
Explorers are uncomfortable and unreliable.

Cheap
Reliable
Comfortable
Great on highway
15+ MPG
4x4

There's only one option that allows for ALL of the above, and that's fullsize GM.

96-99 2500 with a 454

fuck all that noise
just go with a 350 and do a proper new mexican GM factory engine swap for 1800$
throw in another 1500$ for a proper remanufactured 4L60 transmission with bulletproofing

73-87 Square.

73-91 K series or Burb.

this. squarebody is best body

>spend $3300 for 255hp/330ft-lbs and a weak transmission

vs

>$0000 to keep existing 290hp/410ft-lbs and an 80e which is stronger stock than a built 60e

thanks, its a 1700$ truck, that I enjoy driving. owning. and working on. call it whatever you want.

The choice is clear

A ranger/Mazda 4.0 4x4 5-speed is a great little truck.

>removing a 454 for a 350

found the retard

or u can just buy the 1500 instead of getting 2500 which is uncommon chinese GM rash

It is pretty well written for someone who has English as a third or maybe fourth language.

I get the vibe that many mudders hate reading it because it reminds them that they are a bunch of sissies.

WD21 shitbox. Td27T diesel for simplicity and reliability.

>Pic related, mine just ticked over 640 000km

*trash

Isuzu Rodeo Sport V6 with 4H/L and locking diffs. Goes anywhere when I put on beefy tires. Need to swap because snow tonight and tomorrow, then more this weekend.

He is obviously an American.

Even if by chance there are 5 TD27's in his country he would have to import everything just to service it.

Rangers are pretty good

Nigger do you know how much shitcomas cost?

A nice taco is gonna be $11k firm I know what I got no lowballers great little truck she pulls hard OBO

like 1k to 7k?

>Locking diffs

Explain. Did you install aftermarket units or something?