Meanwhile, in burgerland

>more compact
>much simpler
>everything in easily accessible locations
>makes far more power
How did Audi fuck up so bad?

>I got an engineering degree XDDD
>I'm so much smarter than you XXDDDDDDDDD

We shouldn't have stopped bombing when Germany surrendered.
They think they're smart because their shit doesn't break the moment it rolls out the door.
It breaks in the exact next moment.
Useless.

Germans are probably the worst engineers.
Engineers are suppose to solve problems, not make more than there was before.

>putting the engine ALL THE WAY IN FRONT OF THE FRONT AXLE
Why the FUCK would anyone do this?

All that unnesassary friction... No wonder an archaic North American V8 puts out more power in a smaller, simpler package. I can see why VW struggles to get 350hp out of a NA V8.

It makes sense in a pickup truck that gets used to tow trailers. That much less weight on the rear axle means a little more weight capacity.

And they accuse Americans of using truck engineering in their sports cars.

These engines are desinged to handle continuous driving with high speeds.
These chains don´t add much friction to the engine and since they aren´t that long they won´t jump over after some thousend kilometers.

Technically it is actually more complicated but it's all in one place.

Funny, the old inline 5 used a belt.

It still gets 55/45 ballance.
Indeed, but a single belt for a V engine isn´t very relieable since the belt wou need to be insanely long.

The Audi V8 was designed to hang out ahead of the front axle, so it had to be as compact as possible to no completely fuck the weight balance. The chain-driven one is only like 18" long.
This means they had to use a tiny bore and relatively long stroke, which pretty much gives it the same problem as an old Chevy 305. It does of course use 4 valves per cylinder so the heads aren't as restrictive, but it's still a design weakness.

yeah its a shitfest

but honestly, the sound it makes

that spaceship-esque whine the timing chain makes is delicious.

i miss my b6 s4

all the people complaining about audi's 4.2 clearly have never driven a car with one : )

There's probably a reason for that that 99% of Audi customers will never use, but they do it anyways because muh vorsprung durr technic.

German technology wins at le mans because for 24 hours it's the best. After that it will break.

>aren't that long
Die
Look at that retarded one on the bottom all bent over itself.
That alone is completely unforgivable. Don't even mention the rest.
Some fucking autistic cunt was so sure that chains were superior to gears or ANYTHING ELSE he was willing to stake the well-being of Audi's reputation on it. Then Audi cheapened out, making most of it out of plastic. FUCK THEM ALL. At least the Chinese have an excuse for being this shit.
Look at the Northstar's timing chains and tensioners.
caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/31376-northstar-timing-chains-breaking/
it doesn't have to be Audi complicated.

How much does that Audi V8 weight? I bet it's as much as a iron block truck LS.

Apparently it's like 360lb with most accessories, and that's for the older, bigger, belt-driven ones.

>plastic tensioner
No thanks. Even Honda got it right.

The INDIVIDUAL chains aren´t that long, wich is why they won´t jump over even if the tensioners are worn out.
Also they are made out of polytetraflouethylene wich is one of the materials with the lowest friction and wear known to mankind.
Also if the pressure (force persurface) on the tensioner is higher it wears out faster.

Closer to 470 if you want one capable of running. The block without fluids and only a bit of the bullshit is 360.

Pointless when a aluminum block LS is lighter.

How do you spell which?

It's also almost 10 inches longer front to back.

Sorry, english isn´t my first language.

I forgive you bb

>excuses
Lots of manufacturers have chains that last. Theirs doesn't.
Excuses are shit. Deliver, or go home.

>length
That shit doesn't matter, unless you're running a fucking retarded drivetrain layout like audi. That entire engine is completely and utterly pointless, an abomination that never should've seen production.

These engines rev pretty high, this one has it maximum power @8250rpm, so the chain tensioners must be able to keep the tension as high as possible withou having to much wear on them.

I haven't seen any direct comparison pics but I'm pretty sure the Audi V8 is longer, wider and way taller than a LS.

>110lbs of fluids
wut

It has 9,7l of oil (0,8-0,9kg/l)
and 10,7 l of coolant (1kg/l)

It is more like 40 lbs

It came to 180kg for: -
Block with crank and pistons
Heads complete
Inlet manifold
Exhaust manifolds
Alternator
Belt covers
Starter motor

It didn't include
Flywheel
Clutch
Wiring loom
Coil packs
fluids
PS pump
Air con pump

So a figure of 215kg all up sounds about right.

..........Pigfat.........

The chain may not jump when the tensioners are worn out, but the chain will still rattle around and make contact with the block. Personally I would rather have to deal with a jumping chain then a chain eating the block away. The even bigger issue is even before the tensioners fail all the way the chain will get slack in it at idle and start to munch on the block. The only reason to buy a car with the 4.2 V8 is if your a massicus

You could just do ANYTHING ELSE
nsu4.nl/english/e1ultramaxcamshaftsystem.html

HURRRR
DURRRRRRRR
PUSHRODZ

The 215kg figure incluges the AC comperssor and a pre production version of the engine, it got 9kg lighter in the production version with AC compressor.

Alright, from forum posts:

(older belt-driven V8, chain-driven version is 2-3" shorter)
2001 AKB dimensions:
Bottom of sump to top of black plastic valve thing on top of intake manifold: 26"
Bottom of sump to top of intake manifold: 24.5"
Left timing belt cover to right timing belt cover: 30.25"
Front of crank pulley to bell-housing face: 20"
Front of snout on fan pulley to bell-housing face: 21"

GM LS1/LS6

Width: 26 inches wide
Length: 28 inches
Height: 25 inches
Weight: 425 pounds

The LS isn't really any shorter bottom-to-top, 4" smaller side-to-side, and 7-8" longer front-to-back.

If the chain jumps over the pistons are eating the valves...
That is a intersting idea, but 4 bearings on the front of the engine would make it even longer.

They are solving problems

>Hanz, vee are not generating enough money!
>No need to fear mein führer. We have zis uhnda control.

>germans were the jews all along
AT LAST I TRULY SEE

>they are solving problems
Hans, der Motor braucht zu vie Sprit bei Tempo 200.
Kein Problem, wir erhöhen einfach die Verdichtung Kollege.

A chain or belt can normally jump a couple of teeth and not make contact with the piston but you will have some very major symptoms when they do. Even if the pistons did make contact with the values it would still be a easier fix then replacing the whole engine due to the stupid timing chain eating it. When that timing chain starts to go into the block it sends all kinds of aluminum into the oil system which can cause bearing failure and score up cylinder walls.

The 4.2 v8 just has one too many critical design flaws in it to make up for any advantages that come with it.

Don't even get me started on how it likes to carbon up the valves and that alone can lead to bent values.

Since there are hige tensioners everywhere it won´t eat up the block.
Also the carbon buildup might depend on your oil, fuel and driving distance and speed.

Also it´s specific output is pretty good.

>not wrong

Merkel is not my chancelor!

It's like another shoah

>implying there was one to begin with

Looks like for transaxle reasons.

There will be one soon...

>meanwhile in jap land

And yet the American engines are producing more HP/TQ at lower RPM with less issues.

Name one burger 4.2l engine capable of 450Ps/331kw without forced induction.

>m-muh hp/l
An aluminum LS weighs less and makes more power and far more torque at any RPM.

And needs more displacement and drops valves

The LS doesn´t make anywhere close the torque over 8000rpm, also torque alone doesn´t matter.
Torque x RPM matters.

Displacement doesn't matter if the engine itself weighs less and you don't live in a country cucked by displacement taxes.

LS > anything Audi has ever made

Well if it needs more displacement, then that's not comparable volumetric efficiency, now is it?
>inb4 muh efficiency

The LS is heavier than the Audi V-8.
The LS is also less efficient and isn´t desinged to run at full power all the time.

Why does "specific output" matter if the overall engine weight is less and the power output is more?

meanwhile, in burgerland

Engine weight is not even less though

>The LS is also less efficient and isn´t desinged to run at full power all the time.

Tell that to the millions of boats that use them at full power all day.

I can't take an engine that uses lost foam casting and doesnt even have induction hardened crankshafts seriously.

The Audi engine weights less than the LS if you don´t add a AC system to the Audi.

Most small airplanes use Rotax engines, mostly Rotax 900 series flat fours.
Bigger ones usualy use gas turbines.

It doesn't need that shit because it's not high strung like a Audi V8.

Why? It's cheap and it works, very well even.

I'm sorry I don't speak faggot try turning that into American and maybe I'll give a fuck you third reich worshiping mother fucker.

>because it's less reliable
ftfy

It's cheap alright.

It's cheap and very effective, which is why everyone uses it. It's the go-to swap engine for a reason.

So why is the heavier engine with more displacement and less power better?

Let's compare the number of LS swaps, vs the number of Audi V8 swaps and see which is better.

But the LS is lighter and puts out more power???

Also let's compare how much power you can get out of both, then let's compare how much it costs to get to said power levels.

>effective
Yes but not as durable as an Audi V8. Burgershit overheats if you look at it wrong.

>compare the number
>what's better
Better cancel my filet mignon dinner because mcdonalds hamburger sells more...............

The Audi puts out 332kw, wich NA LS does that?
The Audi weights less if you have the same amount of components added to it.

>Yes but not as durable as an Audi V8
>Audi "nine-thousand-dollar-sixty-thousand-mile-timing-chain-service" V8
>durable

>Yes but not as durable as an Audi V8. Burgershit overheats if you look at it wrong.

You realize LS engines are used in 1000 mile desert races right?

>The Audi puts out 332kw, wich NA LS does that?

Uh any non smog LS since 1970?

So why can't a 'vette do 600 miles before it gets roasted?
>BTFO

>LS
>1970
troll harder fagbot

So that's where you're going? Wanna compare that VAG boat anchor to a Ford Modular instead?

How heavy ist that engine?
And how much power does it have?

Yeah if I wanted to shoot civilians with spark plugs

I'm pretty no stock production sports car is going to do that... Millions of boomers track their vettes for hours on end and have no issues with overheating. ...But keep hanging onto that one example if it helps you sleep at night.

Alright, just to round out the big 3, what''s your memery on the HEMI?

This thread is a shitfest, but the LS3 does.

Yeah not bad

And there are Millions of buisnessmen driving their Audis at speeds far over 200km/h.
How much kw and how much weight?

>LS3
This one?
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolladen_Schneider_LS3

Is that a TL1000?

The LS3 almost got 331kw, it only has about 307kw.

>And there are Millions of buisnessmen driving their Audis at speeds far over 200km/h.

Wow! 40 feet of timing chain to hit 200kph! That's some next level shit there. You totally can't accomplish that with a pickup truck or a 1.8l shitbox!

These guy are driving like 250 for a long time, did you ever drive that fast uninterrupted for more than 5 minutes?