So I'm looking to buy an old Supra, I mean, I'm looking for either an A60 or A70...

So I'm looking to buy an old Supra, I mean, I'm looking for either an A60 or A70, but after asking friends and my dad what they think I get responses like this
>what do you need an old car for?
>you'll never find parts
>you'll never find a good one
>the ones before the 90s were shit (A80s they mean)
>they're terrible on gas
>your insurance will go up

In the end it's my money, plus I've already got a car that I'm driving into the ground so I'm not just going to throw it away before it gives. Really I don't have to listen to anyone about this and just do my research and talk to real experts (none of my friends are real car guys, one even told me at our age you can't even get into cars) but I think it's always good to have input from all directions

I'm just looking for your input on the car itself, in addition to what's said in the general I guess. My situation really doesn't matter but some people like the extra perspective

Other urls found in this thread:

supraforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-86963.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>sports car
>slower than a v6 camry

Imo the Mk3 is sexy as fuck

They're aren't sports cars though dipshit they're GTs and no one ever said they were fast

You don't know what sports car means do you?

True, it's listed as a sports car
that and a gran torino

I don't get how though but it's probably under the same logic as the insurance companies are with red cars

No, it means they go by the definition of sports car. Not the faggot forum version where it changes to fit whatever car you're arguing about.

>your insurance will go up

nope, theyre worthless to the insurance company and therefor low monthly premiums. I could get minimum coverage for a mk3 supra for under $40 a month. parts arent very hard to find either. your friends and dad are losers who dont like cars

Like I said, no clue about cars. Also the argument from my dad was what do I need an old car for, which I do understand his argument there but all things considered this is a good exception

Plus my uncle always said he wanted to get a supra to work on, it'd be fun for us both to

same as OP, these are surprisingly common where I live, seen 3 under 4000 on craigslist, one is a first gen brown 80s color one, the others are mk3s I think, I know they aren't the fastest but they are still a supra, they have to be more fun than a corolla

Pretty much this. Insurance is based on the replacement value and chance of being involved in an accident. The replacement cost will be basically nothing and it's an old ass car and not a lot around, they assume there won't be many people wrecking them.

There's nothing more fun than a ハチロク

>2ND gen is best gen
With that out of the way let me start by saying that the only people who will actively suggest buying and old Supra probably own one. That's not I inherently a bad thing, but it's something to keep in mind.
What you really need to consider is the fact that it most likely won't be very reliable. Although it is an old Toyota, which means it's going to be better than say an old Jag, I know 3 different guys who own them and they almost always have some sort of problem. Not necessarily a problem that completely stops them from driving the car, but if you aren't prepared to spend a significant amount of time working on it then you're either going to spend a shit load of money having someone else do it, or you're gonna have a non running car sometimes. This is true with all old cars though, so take that as you will.
While they aren't "fast" cars, they can be fun as shit to drive. The M series engines in these cars aren't very powerful, but they sound great and have more than enough torque to get the car sideways should you wish.

If you really want to get an old Supra, I'd say do it. But you can't expect it to be like owning a civic. It will break, and it will cause you pain. But the trade off is that when it is running right, you're going to have a great time.
You have to decide if owning one is worth that to you.

Not really, if you bothered clicking on sports car you'd see that they are the ones ignoring the definition.
>A sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.

Two door and spirited performance sure
Small and nimble hell no

you would rather a camry?

>literally small and nimble
>small is subjective, but almost any two door car is small
>prove they aren't "nimble"
you can't because they are

Come on dude I love supras but you're really lying to yourself if you believe they're that great stock

>mk3 3400lb small
>lol

>actual owners saying that stock it handles poorly
supraforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-86963.html

>weight /= size idiot, lrn 2 basic science
>lrn to context of when it was made tard
Seriously how stupid are you?

Literally 2 feet longer than a Miata. Are you retarded or just delusional?

So? The miata isn't the bench mark for small you dumbass. It doesn't say "any car bigger than a miata is big and anything the same size or smaller is small." Seriously, stop grasping at straws, it's sad.

>I've run out of arguments so I'll attack yours without any basis
>182 inches is long

>Literally believes this
LOL faggot, again, the miata is not the standard for size. Kill yourself. An infiniti m is longer than that. So it's smaller than an M. See how that works? Idiot.

The thing is there is no fucking standard for car size you autist
Longer than a modern day Mazda 3, Ford focus, Honda civic
>pls it's shorter than this one car so in MY metric it's short xddd

So you can't define short. Cool, thanks for playing, moron.

Sorry m8, but your status=told.
Please remove your internet connection.

>Spoon feed me mommy

>I'll find a random article that has no authority to back up my ridiculous definitions
>I just like to make shit up instead of accepting when I'm wrong
Ok then.

Typical Amerifat
>I can't fit in it so it must be small

>thinks he's right
>can't post a definition to back up car size
L O L
O
L

>common alp tactic when he gets BTFO
>thread over moron

I guess everything seems short compared to your bus. My bad

>doesn't ever say what a short car """really""" is
>so butt flustered he leaves the thread

holy fuck you are the cancer that is killing Veeky Forums
Please leave and never return, this board will only improve from you not being here any longer

Ignore the fucking shitstorm that's happening

I've been trying to get my hands on a supra for a long time but I don't have enough cash to truly afford one. Unless you get someone's collectible, which will be way overpriced, you are going to have to sift through actual garbage to find a good one. I don't know where you live op, but they may be rusted out, have shit mods or stance, or may be fucked in general. Not to mention a lot of the owners are sketchy as hell and try to rip you off. I was almost scammed 2 times by two different supra owners. I've been waiting to find my needle in a hay stack affordable yet clean supra for a long time and haven't got it yet. I may be too picky but it might be difficult to get a good one that doesn't require a shit ton of wrenching. I've seen supras on cl that have been on fire going for around 2~3k. With all that being said, if you can find the one you want, go for it dude. It might not be as fast as you want, but they can be upgraded and look fucking sexy as hell.

>>sports car
>>slower than a v6 camry