Another LS400 Thread

I'm about to buy a 96 LS400 with 138k on the clock. What should I know to make me rethink the decision?

Any positives I don't know about?
>Who else here /LS400/

Other urls found in this thread:

orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5863809929.html
orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5902744125.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7YgDlMOHs
eskridgelexus.com/details/2008-Lexus-LS460-OklahomaCity-OK/15597694?cid=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Comfy cruiser alert

I really want to like the LS400's but I can't find anything capable of sharpening the handling to the point it could be considered a sports sedan.

Accurate. GS400s and IS300s were designed for that. Not these ones.

>turning a luxury cruiser into a sports sedan
Why?

Get an LS430 if you can afford that instead?

But it's not just the comfort, it's the way it looks

>Buying an inferior car over a superior one because of looks
May as well get something Italian

Also I can't afford it though

>Why?
to be honest, I've never been all that fond of comfort-cruisers. There are some exceptions though. I like a sedan with a tight sporty suspension though.

So why even bother looking at an LS?

He probably likes how it looks? Plus it's more mentioned than alternatives

>He probably likes how it looks?
that would be the reason.

Have you considered looking at an Acura Legend?

Oi fucking loved these
20 fecking years ago

those things looked so fly. You can see where some R34 skyline inspiration came from. They look surprisingly similar.

>they look similar
Nah not really

they do.

Only because of the low profile headlights, other than that they don't

That has 2 doors, not 4 you mung.

Sedans exist to you tard

an ugly sedan too. I'm not interested in the Legend unless you can show me a bolt on aftermarket exhaust that uncorks the 5 cylinder, mods that tighten up the chassis considerably, and you have to convince me is isn't just a gussied up Accord.

Also thinking about getting one. I can buy an ls400 right now, but I think would rather wait and save up more for ls430.

It hurts knowing by the time I have enough money that this will probably be gone.

orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5863809929.html

Damn those are some shit opinions

only one is an actual opinion. Convince me it isn't using a gussied up Accord chassis.

Buy it you faggot. The LS looks/drives/feels way better than the competition. Only thing you have to watch out for these huge gook barges is that the power steering will fail on you and better be on top of it cause if not bye bye to your Alternator

Best car I ever had. I bought a 92 LS 400 back in 2000. I had it till October when some drunk moron crashed his truck into my car and destroyed it.

It was very comfortable. You do NOT hear the road (if that is important get another car).

I only had to do the regular servicing (I took it to this place that did a great job) and it was very reliable. I had almost 200,000 miles on it and it was a gem. Never had any problems passing smog or anything like that.

Only downside was the radio LED was starting to fade. I would have had to have replaced that but other then that it was running fine.

I would recommend getting it.

I have a mint LS430.

I admit it's a bit soft, but you forget about all of that quite quickly.

I'm thinking of a GS430 to compliment it, or a third gen acura RL with the SH AWD.

The Accord from that era used a CB chassis with transversely mounted 4 bangers
The Legend used the KA7/KA8 chassis with longitudinally mounted V6s

The Legend was also significantly longer overall with a longer wheelbase and weighed like 1000 lbs more because it was loaded with shit like quality leather and actual sound insulation. You know, because it was sold as a luxury car

TL;DR they're completely different cars

Fair enough point, there. How about a Lude though.

>The two-door coupé was loosely derived from the Honda Accord and spanned five generations
Still not a bad thing imo, kep cost down

Meanwhile high end Audis share platforms with budget VWs

>loosely derived
I love how you define loosely. All the chassis hard points are virtually identical. The suspension and seats will swap right over between the 2

Wikipedia's words, not mine

>138k on the clock
Has it even made it out of the dealers lot yet?

wikipedia is wrong. The Prelude is a Accord coupe made redundant by the actual Accord coupe,

Okay. You're free to edit it if you feel that way

Is that Matt Farah's millin mile Lexus?

at 138k its not even broken in yet. had a 92 model, drove shit out of it. black with tan leather. it was so quiet that sometimes at stop lights i would think it had stalled. only thing i changed was the stereo and speakers. only complaint i could really put on it was shitty gas mileage. but my lead fucking foot was to blame for most of that. buy it.

Do the es330s have any major issues? I've been looking at ls400 and ls430s but this looks very nice for the price. An ls430 would be better I guess but they're also more expensive

orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5902744125.html

What was the mileage like?

The ES330 is just a Toyota Camry with a Lexus badge. Any issues with the Camry apply to the ES330

Buy it, they are badass. Pic related is my new one, bought from the original owner with 80k miles.

And if you take the muffler off they sound like this, although that defeats the purpose of the car a bit.
youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7YgDlMOHs

fuck yeah comfy v8 jap sofa reporting in

95 with 132k

OP pull the trigger on it you will cream all over the comfy heated powered leather seats

haha that reminds me of this post I saw on craigslist not too long ago in Seattle.

The ls400 is an amazing car. I've wanted ome for a while but gave up. Just make sure it's got good compression and you should be good. I don't know common issues though. The 98 and 99 are more desirable since it's a vvti engine but that should mean yours will hold its value in the best of the cheap ls400s.

If you want to lose the floaty boat feel I've heard coilovers will solve that but can't say at all, just heard. Also, a gs400 in good condition at 120k miles will hold its value better than a 96 ls. Either way enjoy

That's the same car. It was up for sale in 2015 last I saw, was that posting more recent? I want it.

Hey guys, hate to hijack this thread but it doesn't feel like it warrants an entirely new thread.

I'm looking to get an ls460, and specifically looking at this one

eskridgelexus.com/details/2008-Lexus-LS460-OklahomaCity-OK/15597694?cid=0

because it has all the options on it that I want.

Is there anything I should know about owning these? I'm assuming its gonna be very reliable, and a nice driving car. Striggling to find information on reliability out there from owners with this many miles.

Lexustechfag here, they don't really have much problems at all as older Toyotas were known to have good reliability. We rarely get them in these days but when they do come in its usually something minor.

Front suspension bushings or maybe a window regulator or two. Some fry their interior electronics just due to age. But the motor is usually bulletproof granted the owner was a grandpa that at least knew when to get the car serviced. Most can be had under $3000

God bless that's what I like to hear

Timing belt + interference engine = crying retard. Get it changed ASAP.

Lexustech, is it true that the A650E likes to shit the bed around 180k miles, and that the A761E follows suit at 200k miles? Any non-A650E problems I need to know about in the second gen GS? If I do get one the fuel economy and insurance will be bad enough, I don't want to wake up to repair bills as well.

They're reliable as long as you aren't a cheap fuck and follow the maintenance schedule

Thanks, always do with my cars. Was mainly worried about the air suspension and that 8-speed gearbox that they claim is a "world first"

I haven't heard of any issues with that 8 speed, and air suspension was hardly new when that car came out

great thanks lad

>buying a 20 years old luxury car

Why user, why?

If you're poor you can buy something pleb but newer.

Because it's a legitimately good car to trash around

>durr buy a newer shitbox

He's a shill, ignore him

Isn't it super reliable though? I mean sure if something goes wrong you're fucked but still