Thinking about getting a 2017 civic sedan. LX-T model

Thinking about getting a 2017 civic sedan. LX-T model.

Should I get the manual or the automatic? I'm not racing it, which is the only reason I'm considering the automatic. It will be a commuter car for my family.

Consumer reports show a ton of complaints ranging from the electronics to the engine, but the engine seems to be limited to Dec.-Feb 2015-2016 VIN's. Are these issues being/have been addressed? Will the 2017 be good?

Is there another car at or around that price that you would recommend? Looking for fuel efficiency and rear seating size.

Is that the CVT ?

Yea, this auto is a CVT.

Just get an old v6 accord for less than 10k.

Never cared for the accord, and the fuel economy is pretty bad on them in comparison. Since I do a ton of freeway driving, I feel it is necessary to get the extra 10-12 mpg.

What do you drive now?

I have a Honda Fit. I want to get rid of it because I'm not a college student anymore and want something that doesn't feel like it is made of cardboard. Tested the civic and thought it was a good upgrade and had a lot of electronics come standard. Only thing I didn't care for was the steering felt numb. Like the car just didn't talk to you much.

>Only thing I didn't care for was the steering felt numb. Like the car just didn't talk to you much.

Modern electric steering to save 0.1 mpg. It's endemic to the tech. They're just now learning how to dial feel back in.

Just keep the fit. It's perfectly adequate. If you must have something else get a used luxury car instead.

I don't have what I need in the fit. What used luxury would you recommend that can get 40+ mpg on the freeway?

Stop caring about mpg. You're spending 20-25k. If all you cared about was mpg you'd keep the fit. I'd get a manual G37, c300/350, is350, E350 etc...

It wasn't about the money, per say, as it was about getting a new, updated car, that can keep up with me and my needs, all while getting good fuel economy since I drive long distances frequently. I have the money for a $23k vehicle. I don't want something that has less than what a Civic offers since everything it offers I use for work, kids, etc.

manual

cvt a shit

Also, the fit gets terrible mpg. I get like 28 on the freeway with great maintenance. And don't bother trying to get more than 22 on a windy day. That's asking way too much.

You're the problem. Drive slower. I average 34 in my 01 civic averaging 70mph. Even climbing a 5-6 mile grade every day.

The Civic is OK, and the new one is about the same size as a 1990s Accord. And if that's your price range, then that's your price range.

AOTBE I'd get a new or lightly used Accord and drive it into the ground.

t. no affiliation, but I live in the city where they make all these. The employees get big discounts so there are a billion of them here.

Since nobody has said it yet, the mazda 3 should be looked at. no CVT for the auto if thats the route you go, and its well known for having a better driving feel, and is around the same price

You don't have to race a manual car, you get a manual because you enjoy the nice car feels after a long day of work

what year is your fit? i have a fit as well and i love it to death. the only thing i dont like is they hid the spark plugs way in the back

like what the fuck

Is that cash down or is that finance? Because if it's cash down you can easily get something better than the Civic for financing or lease.

Hell, with kids, leasing is way better because most things are covered under warranty and you can get rid of it after it gets all greasy and dirty from eating in the car, being at the beach, taking them to the hospital when they have their first flu, etc. The dealer will still clean it.

>mpg
>freeway driving
>these gas prices
This guy.

>You're the problem.
Nope, you are, please stop responding at this point. You clearly are missing the picture.

Where is that? Any chance you could hook me up :D

OP here.

I have considered it. I didn't care for the interior, but thought it was indeed a nice drive. Kids fit, too.

I'm the third owner and only have 20k miles on it. I feel like the tranny is messed up. Putting it into drive delivers a loud metallic sound. No power, even less power with passengers. Need a larger trunk. I've simply grown out of it is all. It served me well for a few years, but it is just time now to get something peppier.

Not sure what your point is.

>buying an automatic economy car
You dun goofed.

Get a manual, but not the 1.5 turbo. The 2.0L engine they have on the base model is objectively superior in every way except for low end torque.

I own the 2016 EX-T and honestly fuel efficiency isn't very good if you travel short distances. I barely get 30 mpg out of it unless i'm cruising at a set speed for long or driving highway.

If you're driving long distances, there's not much difference between a civic and accord on the highway... If you get a 2008+ accord v6 it has cylinder deactivation and becomes a 3cyl on the highway anyway.

Hows the torque, any problems yet? How many miles?

Pretty damn good for a FWD 1.5 liter engine it's surprising and despite the size of the car it's light, lighter than older civics and the current 2 door civic on paper somehow. On dry road, I kept a lead on a manual 8th Gen Civic SI until we caught up to traffic. Turbo really makes all the difference. The CVT in S mode pulls more than the 2.0 liter manual buy a serious margin and it's not like old CVTs where you it stays in near peak power rpm and the cars accelerates but doesn't do stepped gears, it's difficult to explain unless you're in it. I've had for 3 weeks now, i don't even have 600 miles on it yet.

Other than that it's a really comfy ride to work and back.

How old is your fit? I drove a 2016 and they don't feel like cardboard at all.

My 2013 Fit automatic gets 33 mpg combined, easily close to 40 mpg on the highway (cruise control set to 60-70 mph). What are you talking about?

>Need a larger trunk.
Won't find that in a Civic. I am surprised all the time when I see that my Fit's cargo area is larger than so many other cars (Subaru XV Crosstrek is a joke in terms of cargo space).

>LX-T

And did you mean EX-T? If you decide to get the Civic, go for the LX with a manual. It nearly gets the same fuel efficiency ratings as the CVT, which is quite impressive.

Anyone that buys/drives a new civic should be shot.