2018 Holden Commodore

For all my fellow Aus fags: how the fuck did we go from the VF to this piece of shit?

And its not even Australian, its a German import Opel insignia. Plus are people even gonna buy it?

I think we should have the option to still buy the Aussie version of the commodore vs having the option to also buy the european version if you wanted to

Also which one looks better, top or bottom? And why?

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2016/10/07/final-ford-falcon-australia/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GM didn't want to spend the resources to develop a new aus car, so they recycled an opel...

Bottom one looks like an Impala.

i can understand that, i think they spent a few million dollars designing the VE commodore, regardless im pretty sure most aussies are happy with the current Gen-F version and wouldn't care if a new one wasn't designed for a long time

The problem is, the fourth gen commo has been in production since 2006 with minimal changes. The car is great, but, there is no way that GM could make it meet future emissions and safety regs without a major redesign.

Guess it's time for an fg xr6 turbo my dude

autoblog.com/2016/10/07/final-ford-falcon-australia/

fuuuuck :(

What's with all this shit about cars being two even three years ahead near the end of the year.

That's what it probably is. Remember that GM rebadges virtually all of it's small, family, and SUV cars.

Except it isn't an Impala. The Insignia will be sold in America as the new Buick Regal

Holden mechanic here. They actually drive quite well, nicer than a VF

piece of shit to a piece of shit

sounds like holden is doing what their customers have always wanted

Becuase americunts didn't buy the SS.

and because Australians in general weren't buying commodores.

I see plenty of them around though... I mean, not as many as Škodas in Czechia, but still a good number of them.

ford and holden and the unions like to blame people for not buying a new model every year, if they arent asking government for money
meanwhile toyota states the real reason and thats ridiculous union bullshit and high manufacturing costs

The rise of the SUV killed australian manufacturing. Ford was on to a winner with the Territory, they were fucking everywhere in 2004-2008 but they fucked up by not giving it a proper diesel engine. And they didn't update it for nearly 12 years, pathetic.

>meanwhile toyota states the real reason and thats ridiculous union bullshit and high manufacturing costs

That's all true, but the real reason is allowing foreign competition in the first place. Tariffs are absolutely necessary to prevent a race to the bottom in our labour prices.

It's true, we can't put a car together cheaper than a Chink, Gook or Jap. That will never change as long as we expect some semblance of standards for the Australian worker.

Australian cars have always been parts bin knockoffs of American and European cars. There is nothing wrong with that. They aren't BMWs or Merc but that's okay, they were never meant to be. They are cheap, roomy, parts are everywhere and everyone has worked on one.

Hah, so the unions killed both GM and Holden with Australian Ford? Epique.

I hope HSV continues to make the same version of commodores we see in australia, from what i heard a belgian millionaire is thinking of taking over the holden factories and continuing local production of the current commodore range whilst the euro style version are being made in china

Commodores are still being made?

But you can't do a sik skid uleh.

yeah

thats what im gonna miss most

Lmfao rip to the Holden cucks
>FWD
>no V8 option

thats what happens when half the country buys toyotas

And most of the states HATE performance vehicles.

thats the thing though, the federal government were the reason that holden was still producing until 2017, otherwise they would've died years ago

just hold out hope for an AWD HSV variant with the 420+ HP 3.6L twin turbo V6.

nah, HSV has always been about rwd v8's, if they're gonna make a new HSV car its cant be anything else

Mate, they'll make whatever they think will sell. It's not 'for the love' despite what their marketing and those crappy stickers tell you

Think I'm getting confused with Shannons insurance, but you get the idea

No.
The factories will at best be re-tooled.
Australian manufacturing is dead on a large scale.

>He forgot the Astra S1800. (Pic related)

Holden is just a design branch for GM now, which is much more than a company like Vauxhall ever got to do.
Honestly this has been a long time coming, the unions made the returns diminish, GM refused to import the Commodore when it was the hottest thing that America could've wanted.

The only thing that kept the factories running this long was Holden creating the Zeta platform and saving GM's backwards arse large car range.

I can still do fully sick skidz in my VX so i think im good

>Not having an ecotec

>FWD

Not even an Ausfag but I'm sorry for your loss

Then don't make cars faggot. Welcome to the global economy. The US does just fine and most companies build some cars here to save on transport and labor.

Theyve already ruled out a turbo 6 as the engine bay wont fit it

High minimum wage and safety standards raise cost
No import tariffs so the asians can make dirt cheap cars and sell them
GFC and our dollar hitting 1.10usd may as well have nuked the factories
Normies go "ooooohhh its nice and neew" and then they buy a Hyundai

My mum is looking at a kia...large car?
Nothing sports about it so cant say SUV
FWD so its not a 4wd
She just keeps saying "its lovely and new inside"
She cant fathom why im looking at a VZ manual SS ute when I can spend the same money on something new and Korean

Source?

So then what, the Insignia OPC is dead too?

bullshit. The Insignia uses the Epsilon 2 chassis, shared with the Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala, and Buick LaCrosse. The old Insignia offered a 2.8L twin turbo V6, and the XTS offers a 3.6L twin turbo. The 3.6L is just a bored and stroked 2.8L.

It fits. Whoever says it doesn't is a lying sack of shit. Especially since the new Insignia is bigger than the old one. You could probably fit a transverse LT1 V8 in there without much trouble.

Pic related, the 3.6L Twin Turbo in the Cadillac XTS.

And when Toyota pulled out of Australia, it meant the death for Ford and Holden production there. One less customer means that suppliers need to ask for more or they fold too. No parts suppliers, no cars. Ford and Holden were already facing problems, but Toyota leaving the fold pretty much sealed the fate.

You can't blame Toyota though, one of them was going to bump out eventually.

I just wish it didn't mean the end of Australian cars like the Falcon and Commo, though. I would've loved to see the Falcon get the 2.7TT and 3.5TT ecoboosts if it meant keeping the thing alive.

I wanted to see the new mustangs with a barra turbo instead of the ecoboost desu. Maybe they can make an ecoboost barra?

The VE cost holden over a Billion dollars

Is GM basically going to become a German manufacturer?

GM is already pretty much the American equivalent of VW.

Basically this

Australians and Americans have a key difference in that a lot of Americans still have quite a significant loyalty to their own industry and manufacturing sector even if it does fall down a little bit in terms of quality when compared to Japanese and European rivals. Australians for the most part want CHEAP. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. That's why there are so many Korean (and worryingly enough) a ballooning number of new wave Chinese cars on the road.

Thing is, every cheap cunt in this country seems to think "why spend $40k on a Falcon or Commodore when I can buy a $20k Kia, Hyundai, or Great Wall with a 7 year warranty?"

So we now have a country full of cheap cunts with soulless econoboxes that are predominately sold to the third world + Australia. The same population are the nanny drivers that encourage and support the very overt police crackdown on speeding which is nothing more than a revenue raising affair... hope you like getting a $250 ticket for going 3km/h over the limit if you live in Victoria. Meanwhile, we have a dwindling number of JDM holdouts and boomers in Aussie muscle cars that can't take their cars out anymore without getting a defect notice.

maybe it could a mark down Cadillac like the camaro.

this is near exactly the same response as there was in '78 when they killed the Kingswood for some shitty euro developed heap called a Commodore

Commodores started as Opels/Vauxhalls in the first place.

>we can't put a car together cheaper than a Chink, Gook or Jap
Japanese working conditions and standards of living are just as good as any other country. You can't blame that for them being able to make better cheaper cars.

The new chink cars are just bland but 7 years warranty for 20k car new is a good deal and holden/ford cannot compete.

But Opels are designed and built in Germany. Right now they only rebadge Buicks but when will they replace everything?

I know the Cruze is basically an Astra with a bodykit now, though I doubt they'll replace too many other models with badge-engineered Opels. Cadillac is doing most of the research for the North American market, with Opel taking care of the European and (through Buick) Chinese markets.

Ford did make an ecoboost falcon with the Fg in both an xt and g6

Yeah but they didnt completely RIP both factories

Their new slogan is Holden cocks in your mouth

Looks like every other piece of shit generic mazda wannabe hatchback. Jesus H Christ i hope people vote with their wallets and the new model tanks

Did we say it drives like shit? Or did we say it looks like shit you fucking autistic faggot.

My girlfriend fucks like a champion but is so ugly i gotta tie pork chops to her forehead so the dog will play with her.

Looks matter you stupid cunt. Kys and everyone else at holden

>Shitty ass Haldex AWD over a proper RWD setup

If the Aussies reaction to this blasphemy of a car is any indication of future sales this thing will be dead on arrival. 88% of social media reactions to this car in Australia were negative!

I saw one of these in the states Ausfags, they're awesome cars and I'd kill to have one. Sorry for y'all's loss because that shit is neutered

The Barra died with the Falcon, and even if it didn't getting it to comply with emissions would be a nightmare.

Not to mention the trend towards V6's has killed the straight six.

Thats without a doubt the most shit looking VE I've ever seen.

LOL because GM wont let you have camaro but ford guys got the mustang and the chrysler challeger (cant call it that because mitsubihi has the name) is comming to australia at some point

what also killed the barra was the ecoboost v6 was actually cheaper to run than the barra.

>people calls Skoda a rebadged Volkswagen, just because the concern use the same platform, and share the engines
>new Commodore is literally just Opel Insignia with swapped badges
I actually feel sorry for Austr(al)ians now.

>mfw JDM holdout
>Just Car going under
>Car will probably be uninsurable
>SVES is going to be fucked in 2018

yeah they're sold as the Chevrolet SS in the states, can agree they are amazing cars

And Kias and Hyundais are getting to be almost as good as the japs. Better than Nissan at least, if you believe C&D.

I know, but they look so boring as the SS. The VF is such a nicer looking car

Couldn't disagree more. The VF comparatively looks like an innocuous election of boringly inoffensive curves and blobs. The VE was sharp and had presence.

The VF vs current SS however? I understand the VE is an aesthetic god machine but the SS is extremely boring, whereas the VF has some sportiness to it