2002-03 Mitsubishi Lancer

Dear Veeky Forums,
I've always liked the look of these Lancers, and I'm very interested in buying one as a DD. Local guy has an '02 with 120k miles on it and asking $2000.

Has anyone here owned one before? How was it like? Any tips? Any common issues? Things to look out for?

I live in Northeast New England and hardly drive every day. I definitely do not drive more than 8-10,000 miles/year.

Appreciate any advice.

I owned an '04 with an uglier front end for about a year

They're pretty shit desu. If I was at my parent's place I could pull out a list of repairs I had to do on the damn thing, cost well over like $2000

>kept misfiring and stalling out at lights
>new spark plugs
>ignition coils and wires
>brakes rebuilt
>constantly overheating
>water pump replaced
>ran for a week before it overheated again
>this time it was the electric fan controller
>overheated again a month later
>this time the fans needed to be replaced
>over heated again a couple weeks after that
>the alternator wasn't providing enough power to spin the fans fast enough in traffic
>ignition switch needed to be replaced, was totally useless and took 5 minutes of jiggling the key around to start it
>weather strip wore out and let the rain in, all needed to be replaced
>AC evaporator clogged up, raining AC water in the passenger footwell
>blower motor only worked at full blast or not at all after that
>AC needed a recharge, even though the car was only 10 years old

That's just what I can remember off the top of my head. I was at school in another country so I didn't have any tools, time, or patience to fix it myself. Thankfully there was a shop right next to my school that did it for dirt cheap and never lie or tried to up sell me on shit, we need more mechanics like that in the world

Here's a shot of the interior. Not gonna lie sitting inside it was pretty comfy

Dang man. That is a long list. Disappointing to hear.

Man...

My friend has one, has worked fine so far. Ugliest lancer ever made tho, and i think these "newer" lancers were made in europe.

Well lads, besides the usual stuff to look out for, what in particular should I check for when I go check out the car?

A better car?

delet this

do you already have a car?

nevr

Yes, a really comfy 25 year old grampa car with 80k miles that I enjoy driving, but it's time to change. Car is old and outdated, though like I said, super comfy.

If you like it why change?

Because it's old, looks old, and I've always liked the look of these Lancers.
My current car is well but it eats up gas, has an ugly color, and an ugly shape.

It's shitty car. Get an 01-05 civic.

>this thread

i just want to drive a 2002-2003 mitsu lancer

What do you drive right now?

1993 Buick Century

Upgrade to a Buick Roadmaster wagon

I almost bought one years ago desu

Well this sucks man. Stinks to hear the Lancer isn't anything crazy. Man, I just really like that body.

Might go see it anyways.

was my first car, and lasted 205k. fan relay died and caused overheating, oxygen sensors went bad, engine stalling, shit build quality inside (ac buttons breaking off), crap electrical. all of these things will be worse now being an 02.

imho dont buy it. get a used civic like previous post said.

lel Shitsubishi

DELET THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!