Nostalgia

Who remembers these things?

I do but what was the purpose of them?

i've never seen a car with anti static straps in person before

its all just a meme

remember these fuckers

Lead static charges from the car body and chassis into the ground because the rubber tires wouldn't. Or at least that was the intention. No clue if it actually worked or if the problem was relevant to begin with.

>convex mirrors are still illegal on cars in the US

OH SHIT.

I've seen them almost daily in Europe back in the 90's and always wondered why people do this.
Around here those straps were usually better hidden tho.

I kinda saw those people in the same light like those who slapped horse shoes on the car front/grill.

Indeed, I nostalgia'd hard.

dun
dun

dunnnnnnnnnnnn

this sticker, on the hood or on the rear.

what? I see them all the time

Whats wrong with horseshoes faggot.
Did uncle badtouch drive a w123 or something?

>unironically having horse shoes on your grill

time for bed, granpa

It's a cool lucky charm, you enormous faggot.

>bullethole sticker
>not a golfball lodged in a windshield sticker
Shit taste detected.

Your car will die in its sleep if you don't have horseshoe on the grille.

How else do you think old Mercedes live so long.

Almost Every car come with convex passenger side mirrors from the factory.
That's what the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" sticker is for.
And trucks come with flat, and convex mirrors on both sides.

I remember my Dad had some of these on his car.

Quite a few people still have these in Australia. Unsure if it's snake oil or not, I don't get shocked by my car at all, but get a little zap from a lot of newer cars.

Were these reindeer things popular in other countries as well? I remember seeing these on just about every third car when I was a kid.

Back when car handles were metal, sonetimes you would get an electric shock when you tried to open the door.

This happened due to static buildup
because the car is insulated by the tires.

Sometimes people would even have heart attacks and die from it.

My neighbors car caught fire when I was a kid.
It was during the night. There was heavy winds kicking up many sands and somehow the car body built up an electric charge after being hit by the dust.
Then it made a short which caused the straw and pine needle padding inside the seat to caught fire.

that would explain why mostly old peeps had these on their cars

I actually see a huge increase in reindeer attachments over the past couple years.

Never saw these in the 90's.

>Sometimes people would even have heart attacks and die from it.

bullshit. post a link with evidence of this happening. i've never seen this shit in the US before. must be some shit for superstitious gypsies

HOLY SHIT

>see a truck with these all over the tailgate in parking lot
>get closer
>they aren't stickers
>mfw some dude actually shot up his tailgate

They're just so cringy and awful.

Although I'm really tempted to go and buy some and put them on my car ironically.

uhh no, it's because how distance and mirrors work

if you stand two feet in front of a mirror, your reflection will appear as if you're standing four feet away from yourself

and the same with the passenger mirror, since you're sitting like 4 feet away from it then objects in the mirror will appear to be 4 feet farther away than they actually are

rekt

I see them frequently enough. The other one (that's cringier IMO) is the eyelashes on Beetles/other small economy cars like Fits and the like. Even though it's mostly women, it's just too ridiculous to me.

Like googly eyes on a Miata is any better... Don't lie, you've considered it before.

Anyone remember when these were the rage?

>It only exists if HE's heard of it before.

Everybody bow down to the all-knowing, all-wise user!

I have a friend who works for the transit authority steal me a few of them grounding strips that city buses usually have.

They look dope on my car

Before there were internet memes, who decided that certain memes of the time were popular?

Media of course.
And selling numbers.

so many memories...

I'm so happy I don't see these anymore. Irritating.

I still see all of these

god damn these are cringe. idgaf about what constitutes your family unit shitcunt.

They need to make cuck ones with the wife's son.

I'm not even joking, I really believe stickers like that will definitely appear in the coming years.

And with the advances in technology we will never see them come back

most new fords come with a convex mirror built into the mirror

nice

This is why you can't trust anything boomers say, or in general when you someone says "back then", time to stop listening.

goes like this

>two unrelated things happen
>40 years pass
>shit boomer wants attention
>DID U KNOW? U COULD *DIE*! I SAW IT HAPPEN ONCE!

The sad part is I'm sure they actually do "remember" it that way

Is this a Subaru loyale?

>not pissing on a Ford/Chevy/Dodge logo
>not pissing on a foreign company logo
Way more common.

I do

you guys forgot the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS.

>wackeldackel (that nodding dog)
>knitted toilet paper cover

static charges on a fucking metal frame?

Or lightning strikes, I don't fucking know.

That doesn't sound right. My dad's 2015 chevy silverado came with convex mirrors from the factory on the drivers side. It's not an add on either as it's built into the mirror.

>tfw they think someone gives a shit about their spawn

Maybe they changed it recently and I read outdated information, but it was illegal for the longest time because legislators thought it would cause drivers even more trouble at judging distances in the mirror because Americans generally are morons.

>Try leaning back the seat
>Ass has the bottom firmly planted
>Strings break
>Beads go fucking everywhere
>mfw
I remember these shitty things. From the outside it looked like a marshmellowy IED just went off in my car. I would find them after a year still.

At first I thought you're asking if I remember Ladas.

>The zombie family ones
>Cosplay families
>T-Rex "I'm eating your stick family" stickers

Still see those

Oh shit, I remember there being other colors of those as well.

Marketing

check em

What kind of a car uses straw as seat padding?

russian here so yea that does make me nostalgic

I usually saw baseballs. They always seemed stupid to me

shit my dad used to have that

heard these are comfy af

I still do that

Remember these?

I still see them and honestly think they are retarded.

I've heard that these are actually for first responders so they know to look for a child after a crash.

Hey, my grandparents had own of those. What are they even for?

Superior Soviet engineering is my guess

The point is to let other drivers know why you're driving so slow.

Promotional item from a gas station, wish places still gave things out like that

I though it was to help people deal with car sickness by removing static air caused by the friction of the road

Damn that's nice looking too

>speed limit 35
>crash at 30mph
>baby dies
>crash at 35mph
>baby dies
>crash at 40mph
>baby dies

>be high as a kite
>can't read

>rage!

My 2001 b3000 has these from factory too.

I saw one of these today

boost

Well, yes. Static charge builds on cars insulated by the tyres, planes insulated by the air and you as you bounce on the trampoline insulated by the mat and the air. When grounded the static charge discharges.

Those straps were originally designed to discharge static from the body before refuelling operations. There are documented and somewhat common incidents where the pump nozzle becomes the ground and a small spark arcs between the fuel filler and the pump nozzle. Somehow that turned into these straps preventing motion sickness, curing aids, secretly knowing the location of Harold Holt etc.

What is this, feelers for the car to navigate?

>da, davno vse eto bilo, kogda tolko eti huyni i stavili na mashini

Russians are too retarded to touch the car, grounding yourself BEFORE you put the fire fire dick into the fuel fuel vagina on the car.

Marketing maybe. I used to see Nike, Adidas, Maui & Sons and other clothing brands stickers on buses when I was a kid. They all added respect, swag and extra hp. Said buses also had those straps in OP's picture.

Curb feelers to not scratch your rimz dawg.

Also, I miss big antennas on hot hatches.

Yeah, also, there was a time where it was common to see cars with THREE fucking antennas on them.

>radio
>CB radio
>car mobile phone

also CB radio really fascinated me back then.

Nice dubs

I always assumed cars with multiple antennas (especially long ones) were police.

oh damn

>tfw there's an old guy in my town that drives a perfectly clean '86 CRX
>probably bought it brand new when he was younger
>has a huge-ass CB antenna on it

No joke that's one of my favorite cars to see. There's something kind of A E S T H E T I C about CB antennas that works perfectly with 80s cars

What are they even for?