#MakeAmericaMotorAgain

Can Veeky Forums explain why no American automaker has a reputation for reliability or build quality?

Not Ford, not GM, not even Tesla seem to be able to escape the complaints of misaligned panels, leaking roofs, unreliable engines/motors/batteries, etc. Yet German luxury marques are held up as world-standard engineering, and everyone says Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda are the most reliable, most future-proof cars you can buy.

What the fuck went wrong with America's auto industry?

Is it just because they hire Mexicans to build them in Mexico, or because union workers are lazy as shit, or because excessive automation means nobody fucking checks or cares about what gets shit out of the production line?

Do any of the auto industry history books shed light on this?

japanese cars are more reliable because they're crushingly boring and use much older engineering

german cars are less reliable because they use bleeding edge stuff with little regard for longevity

we're somewhere in the middle and i think i'm ok with that

A combination of a somewhat protected market that stifled competition, a consumer culture that focuses heavily on quantity and frequent updates instead of quality and longevity, and the coalescence of a few, but extremely large conglomerates that quickly developed toxic corporate cultures.
I recommend reading On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors byt DeLorean (yes, that DeLorean)

Service side of dealerships pull in twenty times what sales makes.

Only the insane make reliable vehicles

>german luxury
>world standard

I heard alot of bmw dealers keep engines on hand because they go though so many

>16283537
I heard people sometimes make up stories on Taiwanese knitting boards to support their biases.

this

That doesn't change the reputation of #GermanEngineering though. Whenever you say it's a German people always think it's reliable and unstoppable.

Wasn't DeLorean an auto exec?

Why can't they do anythign about it now? Do they just not want to because servicing cars makes money?

Niggers

this and thats the reason why I need a caddy in yurop shithole

>use much older engineering
How so?

>Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda are the most reliable
never buying Toyota again
my car with 54k miles burns 3 quarts every 5000 miles
Toyota says its completely normal to burn 1 quart every 1500 miles
my engine was put in 14 Toyota cars from 2001 to 2015 so it isn't just one "bad" car

He was, ran Pontiac for a number of years and did very well, both on product and management. He was then told to do less well because he was upsetting top brass over at Chevy, and preserving the hierarchy, both among the brands and among the management group, was prioritized over putting out the best possible product.

When you're talking companies of this size, the bureaucratic inertia is ENORMOUS. You have to change the mindset and work pattern of literally hundreds of thousands of people. Between the workforce, the unions, the management, the investors, the suppliers and the dealers, there are going to be vastly different interests as to what direction the company should move in, what measures it should implement and so on.
At the same time, you still have to figure out how to design and make better product, how to market them, and at the same time, the two other corporate giants are trying to do the same thing, so you're aiming for occupied space.

Shit is hard.

toyota brings engine and chassis designs forward and forward and forward. some call it refining but...

also they intentionally under stress all their stuff.

the result is super reliability but mediocre performance almost always

Honda had a class action suit about this. If it's an old engine of course this sort of thing happens.

>german cars are less reliable
what are volvos
>japanese cars are more reliable
what are subarus

nice try, ford shill

Overhead Cams

Germans arguably introduced the modern era of turbocharged four cylinders into compact cars in the early 2000's with the 1.8T 20V. This was followed by a proliferation of turbocharged engines throughout their entire lineup by the time the American's were only just putting an engine into one model.

Near the end of the decade the American's followed suit with GM's Ecotec and Ford's Ecoboost. Chrysler did have the 2.4L Turbo from the Neon earlier, but that was hardly a modern engine, more of a hot-rodded N/A motor that they strapped a turbo to. Falling into the same vein as other performance cars that have popped up through all of the continents at various years and decades with little regularity.

We're are just past midway through this decade and only now are we seeing mainstream turbo four cylinder's start to proliferate through Japanese marque's.

>what are volvos
Chinese motherfucker.

So why haven't Americans worked out the kinks in their engines if they're taking so long to get modern engines?

volvos are ford/chinese/swedish
also not that reliable
subies are pretty reliable

You seen the V6 the IS200 uses?

No?

Same engine as a 2003 Toyota Crown.

Honda's more American nowadays, I'd say almost all their cars are assembled and built in the US now.

>subies are pretty reliable

This

requesting an article on the car model that had spiders in the gas tank, or whatever part it was

But they employ spics...

Hm.

So then, it has more spare parts than a comparable US engine, making repairs cheaper?

I don't know, I still want to buy a GM brand or Ford brand car for my next one.