Trying to get a Datsun 280ZX as my next car...

Trying to get a Datsun 280ZX as my next car, I've done all the research as to what to check for when buying and probably gonna check all the Craigslist ads for them around the US to find one
Any 280ZX owners want to give me tips and pointers, especially what I'm looking at maintenance wise

I know nothing about these cars but just from looking at it I get the feeling that the head gasket's days are numbered

real rust buckets

wouldn't get one unless you actually know what you're doing

all the electrical connectors are 30 years old. The will oxidize and read incorrectly. Before replacing the part clean the connectors. I had to do that often with mine.

Apart from that.. its really pretty simple and well engineered.

I heard you should avoid digital dashboards but they look fucking awesome

I wish I wasn't an noob and probably wreck it or I'd get one.

>wow user that's a nice porsche
>yeah it's a real nipwagon, I did a front engine swap with a liquid cooled engine
>wow user you're so good with cars, you should change my oil

Why not get an earlier s30 chassis? I am doing a 280zx turbo swap into mine in a few weeks. If you want a fun to drive sports car then get a 240-260 or 280z, If you want a spongy/slower comfy ride then a 280zx is for you.

The L28 engine in these cars is nearly indestructible so you really don't need to worry about that. It will likely need suspension rebuild and maybe some rust repair.

i kek'd

THIS

I had one that was a California car and it was still rusted to shit.

It's gonna be my first manual sports car, and I like the idea of the comfort in the 280zx unless you can suggest and other Japanese meme machines?

>well engineered
>Nissan
Not even once
They are absolute shit card unless you're after the looks.
That's Nissans recipe
>looks nice
>past looks it's built like cheap Chinese shit

Any Japanese manual suggestions then? Besides a Supra

its is not a sports car it is a grand touring car. By all means get a 280zx if that's what your heart desires. It is a great car that is well built and thought out.

Mr2
Miata
Cressida
Sc300
Sc400
Ls300
Ls400
Gs400
Pretty much any old Corolla including some really fun FWD ones.
Volvos
There are tons of options

Well any other Japanese grand touring cars? I like the idea of having a comfortable ride yet still relatively sporty

If I didn't have my s30 I would get a z32 300zx tt. It is an amazing ride

def check out a sc400/300

I've owned a s30, an s130, and a stillen z32tt. The z32tt was amazing, but no way in hell would i want to own it outside of warranty.
the s130 is comfy, so very very comfy.
hey don't listen to this twat. The car is pretty damn solid.
If you do want something more modern, maybe look for a manual gs300 or sc300.

Fuel system on them is terrible to work on. It's like, mechanical fuel injection with a thousand vacuum lines. Everything else is pretty simple. Specific parts are hard to get. Source: Towgae friend has one

Should I go for N/A or the turbo? I've been really set on one ever since I found out they existed and just am glad I got assurance from an actual owner

N/a will be cheaper and a little less complicated. But it will not be fast or even quick.
The turbo isn't all that fast stock either. It does have potential though.

5 speed is a must.

Nissan 5 speed or T-5?
Was thinking of getting an N/A to make it last but once I need to rebuild just to drop a more modern inline 6 in it like 7m-gte or 1jz

T-5 was only on the turbo. The 5-speed in the n/a was fine for the power it offered.

Getting an n/a for ease while you build up a swap engine sounds like a good idea.

There were SBC/lsx swap kits, not sure they still are being sold... If you wanted an easy swap.

The engine bay is pretty roomy so a Nissan 4.5 or 5.6 would fit as well.

The l28et can handle a good amount of power.

This. The prehistoric electronics are overly complicated and hard to diagnose random issues. You'll definitely learn to work on cars..

I also remember my 240z needing valve lash adjustment constantly. Not sure if that got fixed by the time the 280zx was around.

GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL!!

i have 280z(same engine as the zx) and yeah, still needs valve lash adj every so often

Looking forward a 280zx here too

I'm 21 though, might be a bit too young for the car insurances I'm quiet scared about it if I manage to get one which isn't a rustbucket

as long as your not from ontario canada you will be fine

>This. The prehistoric electronics are overly complicated and hard to diagnose random issues.
Not really. Just get a multimeter. Everything has documented specs.

or Quebec

The L6 platform is bulletproof, many tales of these motors going 200k+ miles easily.

Mine is nearly at 150k and I still take it to the track, motor is strong.

Worse, France

OP here, how do you guys think it'll compare to a 2004 3.4 L Chevy Impala which is my current DD

They're cool cars desu, I like em.

I don't think saying they are spongy makes much sense, who isn't going to rip the stock suspension out and put in coilovers?