Old-Looking New Cars

This is what cars would look like if capitalism failed.

Pictured is a 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser.

On a serious note, why does Toyota make these new cars that look old, and why don't they sell them in the US? Why don't more manufacturers do this in general?

When compared to some of today's designs, these old designs actually have a certain charm to them.

Other urls found in this thread:

nissan.com.mx/tsuru/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's a 70 series nigga, it was such a good model that the towel heads couldn't stop buying them, they don't sell in North America any more

Crown Victoria should've stayed in production until the end of time. hell, every manufacturer should have one car that they keep almost unchanged forever.

Will post some more pictures because I find these car interesting. Maybe someone else does too.

im importing one of these when my 4runner dies.

That car is still in production because of capitalism. But anyway, G-Class

Get an 80 series holms

Toyota Century

1997 Toyota Century. Interior looks exactly the same today.

In fact, the previous generation Century started production in 1967 and ended in 1997.

The current Century is the one that has been in production since 1997. I do not know how well these sell, but the return on R&D must be nice.

The Lada VAZ-2107 was recently discontinued in 2012. They started making it in 1982.

Lada's current oldest car, the VAZ-2131, has been around since 1993 without any changes.

>new car that looks old
Pro tip, it "looks old" because it is old. It was introduced in 1985, and they didn't stop producing them barring some facelifts and mechanical upgrades.

theyre are no good ones in the northeast, if there were id have one right now desu senpai

that doesnt change anything, it still meets and emobodies OP's criteria.

nissan tsuru

Lots of 70 Series in Aus. I have a VDJ79R myself.

It looks old because it is an old design. Sheetmetal box for a body bolted to a closed section chassis. You can take a tray from a 1999 HZJ79 and bolt it straight on to the mounts on my 2009 VDJ79R.

Same with the wheel bearings, brake pads and shoes, disks and drums, clutch and brake master cylinders, steering boxes, differential centres and lockers, hubs and others. All compatible going back to when the 70 Series first started being released. This is one of the reasons there are fucking piles of 70 Series driving around in every regional and semi-regional town in Aus.

It's a bare bones commercial vehicle often used in mixed fleets of HZJ, HDJ and VDJ utes/wagons. Simple body-on-frame with a reliable engine. Many people are not after the latest gizmo that jiggles your arse cheeks in time to Spotify or defrosts your big toe if there is an internet connection available. Some people just want an old brick that will work for three decades and goes roughly where you point it at roughly the speed you want it to go on road and any bloody where off road.

Feels good, man.

capitalism was a mistake

If we had more capitalism in the US i would buy that in a heartbeat

thankfully no longer in production.

there's timeless, then there is shit like that

Have to fact check one little thing
>All compatible going back to when the 70 Series first started being released.
Worth noting the drive train (aside from engine upgrades) received upgrades three times throughout the life if the Australian (fullsize commercial as opposed to the Hilux powered Bunderas and Prados) to the point where a lot of stuff isn't backward compatible. For instance, with the introduction of the overhead cam FZ/HZ came a down size in front differential, from the the 9.5" to the 8". The coil cab 78/79 that replaced the 75 also had a rear end upgrade that brought larger axle splines and larger floating axle locating studs to the table. Oh, also 5 stud wheels which are a right cunt move.

Do the modern 70 series still have live front axles?

These are rare in the USA because it is difficult (although not impossible) to engineer a vehicle with a front crumple zone that has a solid beam in the front.

Also, crumple zones have made it damned near impossible to mount a winch on the front of a truck without adding an entire sub-frame. 80 series LCs were the last ones (in the USA) to have a full length frame capable of carrying a winch. If you pull on the front bumper of a 100 series, you risk bending the frame.

You realize our cars look like they do because of communist safety and emission regulations right?

nissan.com.mx/tsuru/
>2017 Nissan Sentra

>implying vehicle emissions and safety regulations relate to the communal ownership of the means of production in any way whatsoever

They're sooooo fucking basic inside though.. like my 91 180sx has more modern features than these POS. In Australia these landies command a 70k plus price as well.

What is the Snek.

Modern 70 series and Modern G wagens bother have live front axles.

All that metal aint cheap

Mercedes should have done this with the W124

>Implying the Dodge Charger isn't still I production

I get the reference

Nah, the five stud was a great move. Sure it was nice being able to use the same rim as a Patrol but the five stud axle is a much better unit and the five stud cv and jack shaft up front is much stronger, more reliable and easier to put a kit through than a 75 six stud.

Let me clarify; just about all bits from any 79/76 are compatible with any 79/76 and most from a 75 are compatible to a 79/76.

Like the handbrake assembly, universal joints, dashboard up to 2008 when the new dash came out and even the AVM locking hub can swap from a 75 six stud axle to a 79 five stud. When I fucked my front right brake pad in Wiepa we stopped at a station and scabbed an ancient set of pads from an old 75 wreck in the station owners creek bed. Sat straight into the calipers of my 2009. Good stuff.

It's good that things are backwards compatible too. 1HZ owners can swap the toy box R151 for a H55F. Same box can go back to 60 and 40 Series on to H, 2H, 12HT and F motors.

We could probably have had the XJ for another ten fucking years.

China DID, at the cost of them being even more shite than a beat-to fuck rustpit bone-stock '86 XJ is today.

Fuck, I want that Land Cruiser. Making timeless designs with new technology all while retaining the spirit of the original is hard but when pulled off is really awesome.

not a lot of new tech in a 70 series, just the minimum to keep the law happy

It's old boomer farmers buying these things. They are cashed up and can afford to drop 70K+ on a 30 year old design.

But to be clear, its always diesel that they buy.

If push came to shove and I had to buy a 4WD I would get either a Nissan Patrol with the 4.2 Petrol or a Toyota Prado with the 4.8 2UZ.

>there arent any good ones in my local area
>let me just import a car from japan then because thats way easier

Not in our area. Younger tradies of all types in NQ rock around in 70 Series, me included.

What's the alternative? A pre-2002 Patrol with a TD42 forklift engine and 250,000 on the clock, a Navara with no torque below 2000 and the pus YD25, similar dollars for a HiLux with IFS (no) and gadgets out the whazoo, a Triton that will have half power by 60,000 thanks to their sludge problems with the intake manifold, a Colorado so you too can experience the joys of shattering CV's on dry rocks...

Toyboata are the only manufacturer suiting tradesmen and workmen who want a 3800GVM and 3 tonne towing and don't want a four banger that has no torque off-boost with a chassis and running gear that is simple and will last.

Don't see anyone else offering a 2100 long tray and a V8 turbo diesel with mechanical transfer case and hubs.

TB42 and 45 will do the head once in your ownership for sure. They are a really choice motor but the head lets them down, worse so on LPG. Valve seats fail and the head cracks. Happy days. Up the mighty Patrol though, better in the rough stuff than a Cruiser every day of the week. I wouldn't trade my Cruiser for one but I do miss my old GQ Y60.

D4D PCM is a pretty clever board. There is a lot going on in the Denso CRD PCM's.

>why don't they sell them in the US?

Because most americans are just shit.

>that mentality on vehicle practicality
You....i like you. We need more like you.

Which country are you coming from where a Prado is offered with a UZ?
I resent the " Triton that will have half power by 60,000 thanks to their sludge problems with the intake manifold" statement. Their issues you speak of are no more or less pronounced than any other diesel equipped with EGR.
As with any modern diesel, bypass this and in the Triton in particular you have a stout 4x4 ute with drive train strength similar to Landcruisers, let alone other medium duty mid size pickups.
Just find one with any 4M4x variety and forget the reintroduced Astron based CRD 4D56.

I already have connections with a broker. and I would have a new, rust free truck.

So it actually is easier, and will end with me in a better truck.

Serious? I'd totally buy that if I needed an SUV. In fact I don't like the look of modern SUVs

>This is what cars would look like if capitalism failed.

then it's a shame it fucking didn't because the J70 is awesome. Instead we're stuck with 3000kg soccer mom mobiles.

Because the rest of the world has shit standards and allow obsolete shit to still be sold

Tell me honestly; have you ever worked on a Triton? My employer has five MN's. Three with the 2.5 and two with the 3.2. All of these motors are significantly worse in terms of carbon black and sludge in the inlet than any of the Toyo and Nissans that also make up the fleet. I have never seen an engine that fouls faster than those two.

Resent it all you like, MN Tritons are a bucket of shit.

And no, the itty bitty 28 spline MN front axles and its IFS are not even in the same time zone let alone ball park of 70 Series running gear. If it was, we wouldn't have needed the repairs we have consistently needed for the MN's.

This

Yeah America sure is the place I think of first when I think of people with high standards

more features just means more things to distract the drunk farmer

farmers never ever pay full price for a landcruiser
interest free loans from government and like 50% tax return for buying them

desu i sympathize with this attitude, but there are a lot of vehicles that fit that envelope that aren't necessarily big and robust.

Crossovers are the definition of practical. They're designed to be all-weather while reducing fuel consumption over trucks and still being comfortable enough to DD. Bare-bones shitboxes are still hot sellers for Nissan and Ford. Honestly it only needs to go where you actually need it to go, and for 99.9% of people, that's on a road with occasional snow and ice.

do people on here actually think new cars hold a candle to older ones in any way when it comes to looks?

I've worked on and decarbonated plenty of them, with varying odometer readings from 150-350k kms, both older mechanical 2.8 (dream to work on) and later DID and CRD 3.2 (much more involved to work on, but no more than any other duesel), and again they are no worse than any other EGR equipped turbo diesel. And once again, you bypass the EGR (either $10 eBay blanking plate or 55 cent jaycar resistor) and never worry about it again.
Also, MN never came with the godly 3.2. It was ditched in favour of the much lighter duty 2.5 4D56 because it made better peak numbers on paper (in other words, forget MNs and shop for the preceding ML).

yes. age has nothing to do with anything you hipster nerd

And the 29mm front axle is still more than adequate. I can only imagine the ham fisted operators of your fleet vehicles that run into issues with these would probably be stripping crown wheel teeth off the Toyota 8" front axle (which still takes a special kind of retard to achieve).

That's right, 3.2 is ML. Means we still have a pair of ML's. Still, 3.2 and 2.5 let us down consistently where the Toyboata and Missin' offerings had a longer service life before repair. Nothing clogged up like a Triton. Nothing bent chassis on the dual cab sprayer Utes like a Triton.

You can't take the risk and block EGR on a fleet vehicle, especially NGO or vehicles that will be handed back or handed to Local or State gubbermint. If you don't get the opportunity to remove it before sale or handover which happens very quickly for some fleets like ours, prepare your bum when it goes over the TMR pits. Not allowed anything past the Light Vehicle Minor modifications. No Basic modifications and no Modifications under Code of Practice. So you have to run it as the manufacturer brung it.

Which for the Triton, is shit.

I can only imagine how little you have had to do with operating commercial vehicles at their rates payload with consistency.

Y'know, there's a fairly good reason you don't see Tritons as anything more than service bodies. Make them a sprayer or fuelie and the chassis bends if you don't destroy the front drive first. Make them a tow rig and they overheat.

We break front CV's on 70 Series. No front diffs yet. The two that tow the 6x6 sprayers have got noisy rears but they also have about 20,000 towing hours on each body and driveline.

>heating/AC controls
>radio
>nothing else
Perfect interior, d e s u

See your point with fleet vehicles, but for personal consumption it's fantastic.
I've never seen a banana'd chassis on any of our Triton fuelies, and they're constantly traversing some pretty knurl terrain to avoid having to walk screen and crushing plants back to a haul road, although I've never seen a banana'd chassis on any Japanese branded 4x4 ute in such environment.
I've seen a number of Landcruiser front diffs where the pinion has walked off with a few of the crown wheel teeth, Triton/Pajeros (and Landcruisers for that matter) obliterate front outer CVs out in the bush, but in all instances were running outside of factory parameters with operators behind the wheel that probably struggle to spell their own name.
I work in a quarry environment and often run maximum GVM in harsh conditions, but thanks for the condescending attitude.

>Crossovers are the definition of practical

>I want all of the drawbacks of an SUV with none of the benefits and I want to pay 30% more than I would for a wagon or minivan that can do twice as much.

Please kill yourself.

fucking this

No worries, condescending attitude to match yours. Nice how you straight jump to how ham fisted our operators are when all you know of us is my text on a message board, ya uppity cunt.

As for chassis stay at Birdsville for a week. Triton, Navara and dual cab Landcruisers are the worst for self-adding some clearance between the headboard and the cab. We've bent sprayer and fuelie Tritons which is why there won't be another Triton purchased in this company Aus wide.

Landcruiser rears will do the same thing where the pinion wants to climb the crown wheel like a ladder. Hasn't happened to the fleet vehicles but I've seen it happen.

Private use for sure block the EGR. My VDJ79R breather is plumbed into the exhaust too, I spray water meth, cats are gone and she is clean as a whistle inside. You pop a boroscope down and it's clean alloy from the bodies to the valve face. Oil is always coming back good on CAT's SOS.

>nissan.com.mx/tsuru/
This is exactly what we need in the states. A brand new car for $7k. Such a shame we have all these unnecessary regulations like mandatory air bags and stability control. You don't need any of that.

why do you trust other drivers to not be retarded? that's a bad gamble.

WHY THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE THESE HERE IN AMERICA GOD DAMN IT

I DON'T WANT THIS PIC RELATED SHIT

>On a serious note, why does Toyota make these new cars that look old, and why don't they sell them in the US?
Because Americans hate old shit and are constantly egged on to buy the newest thing.

2016 SAIPA 131(Saba)
Iran's most popular economy car. It's really a rebadged 1993 Ford Festiva sedan. (Kia Pride)

2016 Suzuki Cultus
Its a Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro with the same body since 1989, only differences are new bumpers and lights, and a new 1L 4 cyl engine.
made in pakistan

Egypt and Iran still produce the 1987 Peugeot 405 as a 2016 model.

China sells the second generation VW Jetta and just updates the front every time a new generation comes out.

>2016

>2006

China still makes it under the BAW brand

>Beijing Auto Works Knight 12

The Chevy Venture still lives on as the Buick GL8 in China

The Crown Vic of the Far East is still being made

>2016 Toyota Crown Comfort

The Crown's rival, the Nissan Cedric was produced until 2015

2016 Suzuki Mehran, produced since 1989

>no power steering

Nice post...here is a (you)

>WHY THE FUCK DON'T WE HAVE THESE HERE IN AMERICA GOD DAMN IT

Call Trump. Have him cross out the chicken tax and all the other protectionist legislation that keeps them out.

>fender mirrors
das it mane

Panthers got weird with the '03 onward changeups. Give the Crown Vic the roof line and body panels of the Grand Marquis, but also make the Marquis use the short, rounded lights (front and rear) of the Crown Vic?

At least you can still swap entire front and back ends around if need be because the bolts are still in the same spots.

>Panthers got weird with the '03 onward changeups

they did, though i usually notice that the taillights are the weirdest change. The Lincoln ended up with the same fucking taillights of the fucking crown vic. pic related is how the evolution of the MGM and LTC SHOULD have gone

I'm not sure how I feel about the proposed 03+ MGM rear end there, it just looks sort of weird. Maybe it's because of that damned just-too-short chrome strip that bothers me even on the actual models.

The center reflector strips should definitely have been kept, though, not made ugly grey panels like they did towards the end of the car's life to make it look even MORE like a Crown Vic.

The Marauder also should have had a more unique style instead of just a Grand Marquis with blacked out headlights and Crown Vic 'finger-hold' taillights.

Does VW officially make this car in China or another company with permission from Volkswagen?

>I DON'T WANT THIS PIC RELATED SHIT
U call that shit because it is way more expensive than the price it deserves to be priced at. I am with you. But that thing is still a great bargain for 85k considering how comfy it is with a lot of features that are found in 100k+ spec'd SUVs such as the Range Rover, Cayenne, etc. You're getting a full spec'd for 85k. It should be priced somehwere at 60 or 70k to be fair. I'd totally buy it if I want a big SUV.

Mainly as automagic taxis tho

>A brand new car for $7k.
I'd buy that and give it an aftermarket AWD system, lift it and go offroad with it. I bet it'd only take like 5k extra so all together 12k max.

Looks straight out of 1993

>not having a 70 series in North America anyway

>Implying hell let the gooks in the country

Nigger he's all about protectionism, he's gonna make it harder for them to come to the states, hell increase tariffs

someone in my neighborhood has a fully built 71 shorty in white/tan, im gonna try to buy it off him

This. 70 series are the balls. I look forward to driving my dads 99' model 70 series ute back on the farm. Mate had the same model in the territory and are surprisingly cosy cruising back roads.

Basic but functional. Proper Cosy with sheep-skin seat covers.

WTF

the radio that comes with it is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

brb buying the car for the radio and scrap the car

>>no power steering

You don't fucking need power steering when the car weights only like 600kg

But that's literally EXACTLY the opposite of what Drumpf has been promising....

I unironically like this shit