/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

cover mockup edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/M9pYZTxE
pastebin.com/Sg2ugpt7
pastebin.com/1CXeCvet
pastebin.com/NV8z9s5i
youtube.com/watch?v=n3N_Lkgftc4
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122003.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for 9dots a cute

>
>an hibrid has been created
>an hibrid has been added to the list of beast of this world
>An Elflyn, a dwarf-sized creature , with a slighty mischievous character, red eyes and sharp ears!

Yeah good Idea senpai, adding another dwarf-killing race to the world, why the fuck not?

Second for TimbukDrew and lewdness

>Call me Elflyn
how about no

shut up you elflyng
go kill a tree or whatever the fuck your kind do

How do I ensure that a great adventuring world is created guys?
My worlds always tend to be quite calm and without goblins

long

dorf

schlong

:DD

Lots of civs
Lots of sites
Lots of beasts
Lots of savagery

Has anyone ever acctually had a problem with megabeast populations getting too small in recent versions no matter what they started at? I haven't seen a world leave the Age of Myth since 2d.

0.34 often had had worlds entering age of legends and even age of heroes, while advanced worldgen often led to golden age.

The unchanging era thing seems to be a post-0.40 phenomenom.

Is that a donkeywoman on a strip pole with a gun?

desu, its breddy impossible for now in a very precise way
the most you can do is
Hopefully, the future will allow for more stuff like the sliders that are already planned for the short term magic update

I think they're ninebolds.

You're spoiling me now, dots.

Would you have a go at Kulur here for me?

High savagery doesn't really do much for adv mode. It only affects what kind of wildlife an area can have, which is probably the least interesting aspect of adv mode, and prevents civs from settling areas that have high savagery. Making worlds with high savagery leads to less civ interaction and bigger/more frequent wild gaps between them. I mean, if you really have to be ambushed by giant dingos instead dingos during that brief skill window when either is really a threat, then a high savagery world is what you want. Otherwise they just make the world less interesting overall for an adventurer.

pastebin.com/M9pYZTxE

Every world I create ends up having too many fucking goblins.

pastebin.com/Sg2ugpt7

>captcha: KEEP Sprite
Well, I was going to anyways... but ok.

pastebin.com/1CXeCvet

Do we know which social skills are trained by which adventure mode actions?
For example, are liar, intimidator, persuader etc all trained by arguing in adv mode?

Conversation, Comedy, Flatterer, Pacifier, Lying, Intimidation, Consoler, Persuader, and so forth from talking/arguing/asking about feelings/expressing yours but with context stuff playing a role, flattering people when you argue raises it, being persistent and angry about flattery raises intimidation as I recall.

OC

Hello, so I just started DF a few days ago, my dwarves survived their first winter, and are now celebrating the first anniversary of the fortress with glorious dwarven wine.

But in the mean time there was this elven merchant exposing his goods in my depot, and when I tried to expose mine, my retarded keyboard decide to select many random stuff without me (retarded as well) noticing. It makes my dwarves transport stuff for ever, so I decided to remove the depot. Every item that was in it are on the ground and the merchant left just after.

Is it me or did I just acquire all his goods for free ?

Yes, you robbed the elves. You're off to a good start, even if it was by accident.

Been ages since I played DF. I grabbed the latest version, stuck in my favourite world gen (that volcano near the middle always has a great embark), but upped the population and civs. This is the result.

Look at this carnage. The most bloody war there, "The Conflict of Eviscerators" is still ongoing.
Civilized World Population:
> 889 Dwarves
> 64 Humans
> 331 Elves
> 9791 Goblins
> 10 Kobolds

Total: 11085

I checked out the war page and, well...
There are wars that have been going on for over 100 years, though interestingly enough the most recent war, The Conflcit of Eviscerators, is the most bloodiest and brutal in spite of it being the youngest war.

The Attacker is a goblin civ that has humans in it, while the defender is a dwarf civ.

Here's the world gen parameters if anyone wants: pastebin.com/NV8z9s5i

Neat, should I expect retaliations from the elves ?

Also the entire fort

Looking into it some more. All the humans who are alive seem to be necromancers, or combat veterans (some of whom are the sons and daughters of aforementioned necromancers.

For anyone playing, I'd say turn down the beasts a bit, it'll make some more civs survive.

>Thrushralder
>1 +0 population

Why does this happen?

The civilisation is one kobold dying alone in a cave.

Probably not. It usually takes a lot of provication to get the elves to attack.

Also, dig down. You have tons of vertical space on your map, no need to settle the soil layers. Dwarves living in dirt is unseemly.

>Export legends.xml to test this tool, that looks absolutely better than WorldViewer.
>.xml is 1,4GB big
>The legends_plus.xml is another 400MB.
How did Toady compress that all down to the 100MB the save folder is?

I see a lot of dead civs in your world, so the wars that have been going for 100+ years are likely to be mostly wars against those civs. With no one left to make peace with the war is considered to be ongoing even when they have no sites left to conquer and no citizens left to kill.

because the data is only 100MB-ish.
The reason that it's gigs of data as an XML is because
XML FUCKING SUCKS
XML is a lie, all of it, including the X, and the ML.

XML is a fucking cancer, most of that file size is the XML 'tags' that enclose every little bit of data. In XML you often have tags that are larger than the data they contain, and not a little bit larger, a LOT larger. That's why you can compress/archive an XML file down to a tiny little size. Try it, stick that XML file in a .zip, or even better, a .7z. Look at how fucking small it gets.

t. web developer who has occasionally had to work with XML.

ok thanks man

>Also, dig down

Yeah I know, its just that I couldn't figured out how stairs worked and since I come from rimworld I didn't focus on layers much, but it's ok now.

What are the most vital ways of saving valuable fps? I had about 80 dorfs with constant 100fps until I dug my way into caves. Then it instantly dropped down to 10fps and I couldn't pick it up again until I opened gates and let raid in to murder half of my fort. Now with 35-40 dorfs I manage about 50-60 fps at best.

Caves were a mistake... I bet trolls did it.

Reduce pathfinding calculations:
less items, less space for creatures to path to, less creatures.
And to a lesser extend - less temperature and flow calculations: check the wiki page for pumpstacks to see how to do those right.

Aye I hear you. I'll look into that. Thanks, looks like the final boss of DF for me will be my own PC.

Jesus, that is actually sad as fuck

You are my hero noble user

My dwarfs envy your spacious bedrooms

>cant make world older than 100 years because it always gets overrun by gobbos

I fucking hate it ..

Poor cutebold ;(

Happening to me too now. I have a 1050 years old world, goblins represent 50% of the population.

Also is it normal that there are so much fewer dwarves than other sentients? And like 90% of dwarves seem to be relevant historical figures.

>end year 3k
why

My newest world after i made a few changes to raws.
>dorfs max age is now 250/300
>dorfs get adult at 6
>gobbos has to eat and drink
>max gobbos age is 25/50, adult at 5
>they are half the size of a dwarf ( 30 000 cm - like dog )
>multiple litter 2 - 8

Still did not helped ;(

There should be some differences due to the different raws you use, but they should still be nice and interestingly mixed up for adventuring with some cool spots to fort it up at as well.

Usually you stop well before then.

lots of demon types I believe helps. The more demon types than the more demons will get a sphere associated with a deity who will raise them up and construct a vault and form a gobbo civ.

Year 1050, large map.
Dwarves barely colonized anything, and big mountain chains remain untouched.

been a while since I played, do animals still give 1 leather no matter their size? If so, is there any mods to fix this?

yes, but you can change this by hacking apart their bodies in battle and the individual pieces like limbs, feet, heads, all give 1 leather.

Whats the most bloody war you've seen /dfg/? Just saw this war where like 1/12th of the world pop died in less than a year.

Toady a shit

I wish there were "real" borders in the game, and that some civilization wouldn't randomly plop down sites in another's territory all the time.

no u

I had a war where the humans and elves completely wiped each other out, both had barely 20 people left in their civilizations.

Nation states, including borders are a pretty recent thing in human history, In the past people just moved through lands.

I can't say I've seen anything close to that.

>try the game out again
>spend four hours looking for a site
>close it

>not just picking up a good pregen
Why subject yourself to needless suffering?

So is there anyone left who still thinks the update is coming out this year?

Keep hope alive fucker...

youtube.com/watch?v=n3N_Lkgftc4

Stop justifying toady's lazyness. City states had spheres of influences and these were quite large. If you waltzed in some random place people would notice and your movements would be known. Also that's bronze age, and DF clearly takes places in high middle ages where kingdoms do exist.

I do, you unfaithful elf-fucked

Is bronze better or worse than iron for weapons and armor?

post some

>borders are a pretty recent thing
there's only one border. the human border.

>Is bronze better or worse than iron for weapons and armor?

It's a valid question mayne, methods of forging iron can leave it less desirable than bronze for different purposes.

Dorfs have one method - that one that makes iro superior in every instance.

>1/12th of the world pop died in less than a year.
Jesus. If that were to hapen today, it would be 900+ millions people
That's three times America, or more than 20 times Spain. Almost whole Africa would die in a war like that
If the alpha version of this game is this brutal, Im not sure if I wanna play a war in the final version

An Lushan rebellion

This is heavily dependent on the region we're talking about. Yeah Athens is gonna notice a bunch of Thebans on its chora because they're tiny and pretty damn close to each other. But Alsaice Lorraine/Elsass-Lothringen was a pretty vague "border" for ages

Not the bloodiest but definetely the crazest ...

>dat bodycount
>no victories
>against treehuggers

Bronze is better than iron in real life but harder to produce since tin was a limited quantity, iron was just easier to get in bulk and it wasn't until steel making got going that bronze was obsoleted finally.

That will never be significant factor in the number of goblin civs you have. For one, there's no stricture that prevents multiple demons of the same time from being goblin civ rulers. Even if that weren't the case, your demon types would have to be less than 1/5th the number of civs generated for it to make a difference, which would require the player to reduce it by a lot in most advanced worldgen setups. As it is, though, the only way your number of demon types will limit goblin civs is by setting it to 0.

Well, I doubt we can say DF has a middle ages setting anymore.

As early as when Toady added the new towns and hamlets, he was pretty open about the fact that he had looked at maps of early modern cities when designing them.

And now, with the newly added libraries, lots of inventions described in the books are obviously early modern inventions (i.e. camera obscura).

Of course, it will be even moreso once it comes to implementing sea travel.

It would be pretty cool to have different kinds of civilisations and states develop separately in different parts of the world, and when they ultimately encounter each other we might see one of them ending up as a colony of the other.

Remember when humans, dwarves, and elves were in radically different technological levels of development?

Varied customizable tech level in DF WHEN ??!

If I embark on a world where there's no dwarven civilization, can I somehow retire my first fortress and let the history generation run again and have a new civ develop from my fortress?

THERE WERE NO COLONIES IN THE HIGH MIDDLE AGES

Not yet, no, repackaging for world-gen isn't a thing apparently.

if you dig down and crack open a cavern, wait a season or so, and then take another screencap of your bedrooms I'll draw them a second time.

>enter dungeon
>it has a camera obscura
>the characters comment on the ghostly wall where everything is upside down and backwards

Thinking about that, you are right
Stuff like cameras oscuras werent a thing until the renasissance
And as many people, I think Toady will want to add galeons, which as Timbuk pointed out some threads ago, are more of a renaissance thing than a medieval times invention
>It would be pretty cool to have different kinds of civilisations and states develop separately in different parts of the world, and when they ultimately encounter each other we might see one of them ending up as a colony of the other.
That would be so rad. I would love if I could make dwarves access steel age while elves are still starting to make pottery, and most animal people civs still living in mud huts for me to colonize

>Bronze is better than iron in real life
Not really. Some bronzes are better than some irons in real life. On average, iron is usually harder and holds an edge better, and bronze is universally heavier and more resistant to environmental damage. The metal source and smelting methods can have a major impact on the final product.
DF's raws do a good job of approximating that, making them very nearly equivalent in terms of efficacy as weapon and armor material. I doubt we'll ever see regional differences in material composition to any degree that would make one source of iron (for example) stronger or more easily worked than any other, so the raw values as they stand now will probably not change much.

Well, first, there were
and second, thats not exactly something that can only happen in modern times
The fact that it wasnt as common in our history doesnt mean it couldnt happen in a parallel time-line

>new embark
>start digging in the mud, carpenter putting some shit together out of logs
>150 mounted humans in steel with gunpowder weapons stroll up
>"we demand your gold and wives or your lives!"

There were, they just mostly didn't involve European powers

I wouldnt even be that mad actually
It's still a slighty fairer, and more amusing, early death than polar zombie bears or so

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122003.0
Be warned, it is a bit too strong, and breaks parchment making in recent versions. It should be a small additional raw edit to fix parchment making, but I haven't been motivated to figure it out.

Alternately:

>some random animal people tribe develops metalworking before the rest

>Might tigermen empire outta nowhere that dominates the traditional races.

Now that'd be something.

Yeah, I would definitely prefer some bandits kidnapping the two women of my starting seven than lose all of them because some nigger-doggo got randomly revived by a near necro

Why don't dwarves have non-linear time perception and eat exclusively butter? That is something we don't have today but could have been possible in a would be dimension. Why don't we actually play a indescribably game with things that we can't comprehend and have not been discovered yet? Those aren't common either, at least not on our present time.
>Chinese military protectorates are now colonies
Colonization is a different effort than the one employed by them. And of course there were norman, greek, minoic, phenician colonies etc. But that is settling somewhere and living there. The poster said invading someone and saying "we are coloni nao" like Britain did to India.

>of the same time
Should say "of the same type".

*mighty tigermen empire

lol

i'll start digging under the rooms then.

Right now. You can mod any civ to have (or not have) access to any existing "techs" you want, and you can add new techs to your heart's content. Allowed building/allowed reaction/ allowed profession entity tokens together can radically alter a civ's ability to use and access almost any material in the game.

>And of course there were norman, greek, minoic, phenician colonies etc. But that is settling somewhere and living there. The poster said invading someone and saying "we are coloni nao" like Britain did to India.
The Normans, Greeks, and Phoenicians all did that too.

Indians a bit in Indonesia as well.