Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=15Vkyjo0p3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=svTf_8-E2uo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

overpriced
pigfat
slower than a fucking miata
meme car for people that don't actually know cars

Yo go fast like dagumi, spin sideways veri nice.

It was a nifty light car that was more econobox than sports car but was fun to go sideways in. Was popular during the japanese economic boom so even lower-middle class japanese boys could spend money making it a little faster and more slidey.

115~hp

Gearbox and suspension like a 1950's John Deere.

Basically a RWD civic of the same era but 20x the price because of a stupid fucking anime.

Shuttle fug up, butch no shut avout ae86

>pigfat
?
Everything else is true

Oh and in the present day it is probably not worth the money though around here there's some that get sold stock for only a couple thousand so I may still get one someday.

It was a a sporty corolla that was hugely popular in almost every kind of motorsport throughout the world, and still is a fairly commonly used in european retro rallies and japanese dorifto
Also appeared in a japanese cartoon because of its racing success, which is apparently the only reason it's worth more than a tercel
Now they're less common and still quite desirable because they all got rallied or drifted to death, and no longer cheap, which was one of the primary reasons people liked them.

They're fun if you want to spend time on it.
Then again, any car is fun if you're willing to spend time on it.
Some parts are overpriced because they're highly sought after.

Was this car actually popular back in the 80s when it came out

like did the youths of the time love this car or did that just happen in the 90s with initial d

Will you people stop fucking calling it an 'AE86'

ITS

A

TOYOTA

FUCKING

COROLLA

A god damn grandma driven grocery getter with a Fred Flintstone rear axle.

You anime watching fags are brainwashed into thinking this is a good car.

Yes it was, initial d used it because it was already a popular car in racing.
youtube.com/watch?v=15Vkyjo0p3Y

It was super popular because it was one of the cheapest cars able to go sideways in, and then it got a racing pedigree which made it more popular.

tsuchiiya started his career on the car as a amateur racing driver. Takumi is roughly based on him. Anyone who think the 86 is an anime car is a revisionist idiot. The car is a symbol of 80's and 90's japanese motorsport and street racing culture. There are especially autistic people such as () who only see cars as machines meant to set lap times. Unfortunately, because of their stunted brains they have no appreciation for subtle things like art, culture, history or feelings.

Of course the 86 is slow as crap, it's a corolla from the 80's. But it has real meaning. Plus you can make it fast as fuck if you have the money. It's only slow to a poorfag.

Standard e80 corolla is lighter.
The ae86 weighs as much as an Nd miata

>Standard e80 corolla is lighter.
yes, that's very standard for FR setups
FF weighs less that's one of the reasons it's popular in economy cars

Which is still pretty fucking light

can't think of a single reason why i would pick one over miata

miata outhandles it and by now it has more racing heritage

well said and all but we're on Veeky Forums which is comprised nearly entirely of bus riders

the ae86 is undoubtably the best car i've ever owned because it's so easy to work on and such a barebones car that has no drivers assist and it's a fucking blast. not to mention i love the 80s aspect of it

but fuck me right i only like it because of anime and i'm retarded for paying more than 2k for a good example of a culturally significant and now rare car from the 80s.

tldr: this place sucks and nobody can enjoy anything so fuck you and anyone reading this

>and anyone reading this
i'm glad you enjoy your car user enjoyment is all life has to give

i don't think i've seen anyone say "i'm happy you like a car" on this site before

seriously just if you like the car buy it. this place has so many people who just won't let you enjoy something because they don't like it.

if you like the ae86 enough to consider buying one, go for it. pursue your own happiness don't let others bring you down. different strokes for different folks. just do you.

don't ever let anyone change you, baby

Great car
Better (and cheaper) options for japanese 80s light rwd hoon boxes though such as 1st Gen rx7

Nocars hate it because not in top 100 nurburgring lap times, but really it's only a car for fans of it, especially with dwindling numbers of good condition examples and rising prices

I have six cars and hate it, maybe it's just a meme after all?
Nah, can't be.

>i don't like a thing
>that means anyone who does must like it for stupid reasons and aren't as smart as me
mind you there are reasons to dislike the car but it's nifty in my book less so considering the prices it goes for nowadays

>shit underpowered shitbox with solid axle and mcpherson struts
>worthy of notice
get a fucking life holy shit dude just fuck off lmao

shitbox

Lmao it's a shit box, get over it.

Sure you do..

meant for
Also your a fag if you can't enjoy driving a slow car fast and pushing it to its limits.

What?
I own all shitboxes... lmao
I drift my stock volvo 240 and drive it like a retard, your car is shit get over it

Your the exception because everyone else likes it. Just like the other user said just because you don't like doesn't make it shit.

Will the FT86 ever be 'cheap' in the same way this car is?

How can you sit here as a anime watching neckbeard and call me a autist?

Ever since I've been lurking on this board I could never understand the connection to people who watch anime and people who truly like cars. Those types of people are usually massive faggots (such as )
who have never laid a hand on a tool in their lives, and probably get most of their knowledge on cars from the internet rather than true experience.

>Plus you can make it fast as fuck if you have the money

This is probably the most autistic thing I have heard in my history of coming on this board.

YOU CAN MAKE ANY CAR FAST IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY DIPSHIT.

What I'm trying to say is that the AE86 is a COROLLA, which may or may not be a good car to drive but sadly only gets a cult following from anime autists and in reality is probably a really shit car that is massively overvalued because of this following.

There are plenty of cars that are far better than the AE86 for modification and are incredibly cheaper because they are not obsessed over by faggots on the internet. Maybe you would know that if you actually stepped out of your moms basement and did an oil change on your moms shit econobox

And by the way quite perfectly summed up what I'm talking about

FRS/86 go for 11k~ used surely thats considered 'cheap' right?

Surely the new 86 would shit all over this rustbucket

>cult following from anime autists

Maybe, just maybe people like the AE86 from things outside of initial d. There's a thought. Initial d chose the AE86 because it was already popular. It was one of the go-to drift cars in 90s japan along with the s-chassis.

youtube.com/watch?v=svTf_8-E2uo

>Initial d chose the AE86 because it was already popular

Sure, I could believe that. But to me it does not get around the fact that it is per se a Toyota Corolla, which in theory equalizes out with a Honda Civic, which anyone on Veeky Forums here knows it is quite embarrassing to be a Civic owner for any other damn reason than DD commuting.

Nothing wrong with civics unless your a muscle meathead

My guess is that all the real car enthusiasts are asleep right now and the only people awake are neckbeards.

all I own are 4 cylinders and civics are for people who need reliable transportation, not a race car.
Just fuck off with these cuckmobiles already.

>comparing a Corolla to a Civic
yeah nah fuck off retard

Right, in this case a Corolla is 100x worse than a civic. Go watch some more anime while your mom heats up your hotpocket breakfast this morning

and the miata is not a meme car?

this

>its not a fun car unless its marketed a sports car

Fuck of m80s. People that say civics's or corollas can't be racecars are retarded. They can both be track machines with some aftermarket work.

Any car can be a track machine with some aftermarket work?
Does that mean it's a good idea?
No.
Are there better, cheaper and faster platforms to modify?
Yes.

oh great its the furfucker

EF, EG, EK civics are great platforms. Do I need to remind you that miatas are slower than b-series civics?

They're also front wheel drive

..and still faster

nice meme

How many civics did you see at the last track day?
Now how many miatas?
Also, weren't you just claiming that the cars are good platforms for modification, now you're stuck on stock performance?
A modded Miata will BTFO a modded civic.

Better be a GTS. SR5's have no power.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it good. DESU I live in kansas so I'm just stuck with having fun on the backroads.
>A modded Miata will BTFO a modded civic.
Maybe if you swamp a V8 in to it, but at that point I don't think they're really comparable

>delusional hondafag thinks his pos tin can is actually a race car
Wow and here I was thinking the 86 fags were the real cancer.

calling the kettle black

Your the cancer dude. Your one of the worst trips one here and many anons would agree with me

Speaking the truth tends to piss people off, sorry about your car, next time you'll get a better one I guess.
It's funny that people dump all this time and money into civics instead of just starting off with a proper car.
Oh well props for making the best of what you got, a shitty jap grocery getting tin econobox.

not him but he is right, I see boosted civics all day at my local drag strip and they leave most stuff in the dust including big v8's. I have never once seen a civic beat by a miata. I hardley see any miatas at all.

stay mad miata shill

>boosted light cars leave shitty old v8s in the dust
You don't say?
Is that why a shitty 200 dollar eBay turbo on a stock 5.3 in a 3000lb car can pull high 9s all day long?
Lmao get a fucking grip

>I don't see miatas at the drag strip
Looooooooooooool
Really?
You don't see 100hp cars that are renown for handling well and being slow on a drag strip?
Hmmmm....

>avoids the fact that miatas get btfo

how about you post some slips or your car so we can see why you think you are such hot shit. you are more than welcome to come to sebring raceway so me and my friends can romp on your ass all day long.

nigger i do all my own work on mine not everyone that likes these cars likes them because of the fucking cartoon

yea theres people that DO like the car just becuase of the cartoon but i sure as shit havent met any in the actual ae86 community

quit generalizing a fanbase cunt

I even know a guy that runs a turbo rsx in the autocross making 400hp, he would be more than happy to run circles around your shitbox

>that car just pulled high 9s on a stock chevy motor with a chinese turbo?
>nah, doesn't matter, it wasn't your car
kekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
anally devastated

Its neat

>your car

wait so you actually bought into the miata meme? This is golden, enjoy your painfully slow shitbox, I don't even have to say anything else since you are already punishing yourself. you bought a "track car" but it has probably never seen a day of track in its life.

I have 6 cars lmao, miata is one of them
>confining yourself to only one or two cars
lmao 2bh

this just keeps getting better, look at those shitboxes in the background

>still no track slips for the miata, or anything for that matter

Let me get this straight, your talking shit on civics, but you own a festiva, which is like a civic but much shittier

>which is like a civic but much lighter*
>he thinks I track my miata
lmao it's a shitty ass stock miata, why the fuck would I track it, plenty of people do though.

EINE DRIFTO CAR VERY GOOD YA XDD

So because its lighter its better?

You are literately the cancer of Veeky Forums

>he thinks I track my miata
well you sure where talking shit like you track miatas every weekend, but now all of a sudden its shitty and slow.

point is you, where being a dickhead but have nothing to back yourself up. this is why tripfags get so much hate.

It has very good potential, that's the sole reason I bought it.
VW coilovers bolt in, which I've done with konis, miata BP bolts to the trans as well, same bolt pattern and takes you from 60hp to 130hp, 130hp in a 1600lb car with a nice suspension is nothing to laugh at.

Are you seriously denying that miatas are one of the most tracked cars of all time?
There's a reason they call track day miata day.

a 1800lb crx with a B16 is nothing to laugh at either

Who is this newfag trip and why is he so retarded?

Does he own a single vehicle worth >$10k or is he bragging about being dirt poor?

Why does he reply with furry reaction images? Is he another gay furry? In that case vtakyo, lord of trailers, is better and probably slightly less retarded

as a matter of fact every other ae86 owner IVE ever met was puerto rican. there was one white guy besides that and he wasn't into the car because of initial d, he was just a general toyota enthusiast.

to answer the op:

the ae86 is a car that was sold as an economy sports car in the 1980s and because of its cheap price it became popular among tuners and was among the top of its class in lower end motorsports.

the cars are GOOD FUCKING CARS but the only reason you should want to buy one at this point is if you are REALLY into them because you will be spending lots of money on a good example AND parts (mechanical parts are cheap, body not so much, especially JDM).

most people here think its a bad car or a meme car because of initial d, but thats not the only thing behind the cars popularity. theres more to it. like i mentioned with the puerto rican owners, its such a popular car among them because they used to race them in puerto rico.

if you really want one, get one and you won't regret it. the high sale price isn't going to lower any time soon so it's a safer investment than some shitbox civic this board might tell you to get to talk you out of buying an ae86. most of this site hates them because of the price and that there are, technically, much better cars (i mean no shit) you can buy for several thousand dollars, but when you're paying for one of these cars, you're not only paying for a fun car, you're paying for a symbol of car culture. and not many of these cars are left. these are all things that can raise a car's value.

that's the way the market functions. it's common sense. supply and demand.

these are fun cars and they can be practical dailies too, if you really want one, be prepared to educate yourself before you buy and you will not be disappointed.

i have a pure fucking love for these cars, not because of an anime, i just genuinely like them.

he's a furfag miata driver

>so butthurt that all you're left with is calling people poor
loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

>most popular=/=best

even though I never said they where not popular in a single post.

comcast is the number one internet provider in the country but has been voted worst company mutliple years.

Cool, you can pick up a festiva for 1000 dollars and swap in a junk yard BP out of a kia or mazda or ford and have a sick ass car for

>Poorfag who has no life and must take pleasure in annoying others on a Taiwanese sexual deviancy support group BBS
>No arguments, just reaction images
>Drives slow ugly shitboxes
>Names himself "mrcummy"
>Wants a name to advertise he likes dicks and beats off to cartoons drawn for underage children, because this is somehow relevant to his vehicles (actually as a Miata driver I guess it probably is)
>Thinks people on Veeky Forums are mad when they call him a faggot

Medium kek, newfag. Git gud. (Not like it matters, you'll be gone in 3 months like all the other le epic trole x3 posters)

>owns a festiva and miata
>calls others cucks

oh the irony

>you'll be gone in 3 months like all the other le epic trole x3 posters)
desu I've never seen your trip before and I've been here for a long, long time.
Also, don't furget about my V8 volvo project, that one's gonna be good.

>desu I've never seen your trip before and I've been here for a long, long time.

top fucking kek. Let me guess, "2 years" or some stupid shit like that is now a long time.

Been on Veeky Forums since 2008 but alright.

not this board, clearly

?
I've had like 4 tripcodes, this is my most recent one.

Everyone says that, Mrnew.

okie dokie
Don't worry, the butthurt fades with time, just sit it out.

Sorry user, I don't read posts written by stupid dumb newfag scum. Try again in a few years.

>Try again in a few years.
Same
>inb4 post deleted because buttmad weebs reporting me
I love your tears, the bans do nothing btw.

Mrcummy BTFO'd thread?

Ehhh

At least not all of society looks down on me for fapping to pictures of drawn animals

TN;DR

>implying anybody even knows I'm a furry
lmao, why the fuck would I tell anybody what I jack off to?
That's autistic.
Weebs on the other hand can't contain themselves, just look at all the stupid sticker threads on this board, they gotta let everybody know they like to jack off to little cartoon girls.
Pathetic.

Mrcummy I don't give a fuck about you and what you do on Veeky Forums bu I have a question. I have a car with a blown head gasket how do you fix a problem like that?

>Deflecting this much

take it apart, inspect the head and block for warpage and/or cracks, if warped get them resurfaced if cracked, replace.
If you don't really give a fuck about the car you can try head gasket sealant, if you do give a fuck, do it the right way.