Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mPDLWMlG5KA
youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RIP in Piece STAP

all the mall ninjas autists geriatrics and nigs wept

>geriatrics
Damn straight.

Was looking pretty bad by 2014, IIRC now it's mostly if not fully torn down.

Is there any hope for full-sized rwd V8 sedans to make a comeback?

>charger
>CTS V
>Mercedes
>BMW
>Chevy SS
>caprice police pursuit cruiser

yes, and they already have (caprice PPV/chevy SS, charger, CTS, a bunch of euro cars), but they're still modern cars- tall belt lines, required backup cameras and requisite 'sporty'ness, none of the unapologetic road-boat aura of the panthers, with bench seats, low belt lines, giant fucking windows to see EVERYTHING and body on frame construction to run over curbs at 50mph

Rip.

I know nothing lasts forever, but the panther platform was really sort of the last "classical" American V8 sedan. I can't quite put my finger on it but there is a certain kind of appeal to the panther trio, something something older American cars, something about hearkening back to another age.

>>caprice police pursuit cruiser
Nope thats based of the Zeta platform its aussie made commodore that got the axe in 2017

Fuck this gay earth

they're still making this shit in 2016?
>portrait video
what a noob

You mean body in frame sedans?

Honestly i wish this style of sedan would come back. I've never been a fan of the way cars have been styled past the early-mid 00's or so.

I'd say 2003 is the point I'd look at. there were more than a few concepts that feel like they should have happened, but didn't.

For one, the Ford 427 is the point where they went wrong. it was unveiled in 2003 as a starting point for a future ford lineup. It was a long somewhat retro styled slab sided RWD V10 based on the modular engine. It looked like a promising replacement for the Panther, even if it didn't end up with a V10. But then Ford forgot it after unveiling it at the North American International Auto Show and only it's front styling was ever seen again on the fusion later. The only evidence that concept ever existed.

And IIRC the Chrysler 300C came out about a year later, which had similar retro styling cues, RWD and a V8, and was fairly popular.

then the 2004 Bronco concept. Sure it looks tacky now, but the early 00's had more than a few of these kinds of retro styled vehicles. The 11th gen thunderbird, the 5th gen Mustang, the Chrysler 300, PT Crusier and Prowler, the HHR...

And the Bronco was a beloved Ford line. So why didn't it happen?

>So why didn't it happen?
It is happening. The Bronco has been confirmed to return for the 2018 model year based on the new next generation Ford Ranger.

>slab sides
imo the only way the automotive world is going to go back to attractive styling

>rwd v8 sedan
australia was supposed to be the last bastion of hope and even that fell. Now everything is fwd 4 cylinder trash

>I can't quite put my finger on it but there is a certain kind of appeal to the panther trio, something something older American cars, something about hearkening back to another age.
Honesty.

It's a two ton land barge that (not counting the Marauder, of course) doesn't try to be anything other than a two-ton land barge. It has four wheels, four doors, big seats, and a lazy V8 that will make lots of noise and not go anywhere fast (but go up 20 degree hills as if they were freeways because fuck yeah torque). It has a radio, a speedometer, some other, smaller gauges you don't care about, and MAYBE a tachometer if you got one of the last years of the car.

You could get one with a neon green digital dashboard, a 50/50 front bench seat, a column shift (running the same lazy 4-speed slushbox they've used for ages), a tape deck and a six disc CD changer- in the trunk- in the mid 2000's. There is no aux jack, no Bluetooth connectivity, and no touch pad in the dashboard. Until the last few years of its life it didn't even have acceptable cup holders. Your driving modes are "go" and "more go."

Even non-Interceptors have an immediate, distinct appearance due to their size and body lines- they're really the last of the big sedans to have an actual trunk instead of that semi-hatchback nonsense every "sedan" has now, the last of the cars that are still clearly split into three boxes from front to back. If you look up 'car' in the dictionary, a Panther is what shows up (or at least it used to). There's big windows to see out of and a big trunk to put loads of stuff in and a big wheel to turn even though you don't need it to be big because it turns with literally one finger on the wheel. You can beat the shit out of it and it'll keep going. You can dump it into a ditch while making a U-turn because you forgot how long the wheelbase is- something I definitely didn't do last week- and get it pulled out, then drive home without even knocking the alignment out of whack.

that's nice, but the point is, why didn't it happen back then, when they proposed a unique retro design, instead of just being a rebadged Ford Everest?

The point is that as far as styling and general concepts go, Ford sort of lost their way in the early-mid 00's, passing up interesting ideas with interesting designs, and the Panther platform was the last of it's breed as a large RWD V8 sedan of the kind that have defined America since the 60's (with cars, like the Ford LTD, the Vic's immediate predecessor)

The appeal is that it's a big ol' hunk of steel with lots of space to put things in, and it doesn't try to be anything else

Here you... 420 hp coming right up.

>then the 2004 Bronco concept.

The FJ Cruiser did not sell. I dont see how this would.

kill it with fire

>The FJ Cruiser did not sell. I dont see how this would.

The problem is a car maker can't justify an a couple of assembly lines to sell anything less than, say, 30,000 cars. They just can't anymore. They need to placate to millennials, geriatrics and soccer-moms.

>Who's ready for some feels?
It was real in my head. I had it all planed out. I would work a second job this year. Clear out everything i had to pay and buy my own next year.

>Oh such a great vehicle. All those feels. I'm so sad.
HAHA no just kidding this is a shill thread with no purpose or reason for existence.

The FJ Cruiser is bloated as fuck over 2 tons with a 240hp v6. It has the cargo capacity of a Jeep wrangler.

I miss my gran marquis.
It was so damn comfy to drive

get another one, then, they're cheap

I would, but I have nowhere to put it

sell your other car then

Ironically, that's exactly why the twingo has become a meme here. It's a shitbox that doesn't pretend it's anything but a shitbox, while being styled refreshingly happy and 90s in a time where we're inundated with aggressive and numb econoboxes that go REEEEEEEEEE. The first ones had no options besides A/C and a cloth sunroof, completely unforgiving about its no-frills nature. Despite its size, it's useful as fug with its cargo area, fold down seats, and the ability to make a bed in it. Just like a panther, you can fix it on the side of the road with a screwdriver and a socket set.

The more I think about it, the more I realize a panther and a twingo have in common despite being almost polar opposites.

I like my FoST though

do you want a pussy little hatchback grocery getter with a sexual disease badge on the back and tiny windows, or do you want two tons of thundering american steel and pig iron with a noisy V8 to roll into Valhalla shiny and chrome?

give me one (1) good reason why you should keep the focus

Because I like my car. All the reason I need.

you'll like the marquis more

do it faget

I'm pretty sure somebody that likes a pussy little grocery getter hatchback is going to care to replace it with a Panther. They might ALSO like a Panther but not likely to replace one with the other

Is it just me or when you open the buying a car sticky, it still has the halloween colors and skeletons?

This is the only Veeky Forums thread i have open otherwise and it's just fine

simple.
get a bigger property and have both.
If you think that its unreasonable to have more than one car then you shouldn't be on Veeky Forums

>shill
>for a car no longer in production
End your life

Not just you.

I forget that there is a sticky sometimes.

Huh. Fucking weird.

I didn't realize just how big these damn things are until I drove one

They're pretty big.

The hardest part is realizing how close you have to park to curbs because of the three fucking feet of overhang in front of the front wheels.

>The more I think about it, the more I realize a panther and a twingo have in common despite being almost polar opposites.
because they are both perfect specimens of their breeds.

The panther is unapologetically a landbarge, like the Twingo is unapologetically a Euro-econobox.

on the bright side, once youve driven such a big car, you can drive pretty much anything else easily by comparison.

hardest part of a panther is parallel parking, man oh man. In an age where cars are so compact and short that spaces are often smaller than they would have been if everyone else was a landbarge

youtube.com/watch?v=mPDLWMlG5KA

>all those perfectly good Crown vics trashed under cash for clunkers

>95k miles and pristine body

holy fuck I mean, i get that these cars are more plentiful than fucking water despite it, but damn this upsets me.

Cash for clunkers killed the used car mkt.

Just like ((they)) planned.

suck shit america hahahahha

Probably emissions related shit

Don't make me liberate you

All the good cars survived.

it was mostly shitty SUVs that got scrapped. Hopefully they do it again and focus on brotrucks.

Good night, sweet prince
youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

is a crown victoria a good car to buy for like $1500

200 some horsepower and rear wheel drive

Depending on mileage and condition, absolutely yes.

200 horsepower, but it's a two ton car so it absolutely won't be a speed demon- however it does have almost 300 torques at the stab of the pedal so hills, passing, highways and intersections will give you no trouble whatsoever. Other than that it's a solid, reliable car whose well-known issues are easy to fix yourself, for $1500 you can't beat it especially if you live somewhere where the used car market is essentially nil.

LTD>>CROWN VIC

It's the same thing

Lexus LS.

No, the LTD has a 302 an is boxy

>All the good cars survived.
depends what you count as a good car
>it was mostly shitty SUVs that got scrapped.
hah, if only

many special and/or rare cars were destroyed, including but not limited to:

>Aston Martin DB7 Volante (only 7,000 produced)
>1992 GMC Typhoon (4,697)
>Bentley Continental R (1,290 )
>1987 Buick GNX (574)
>1987 Excalibur Phaeton (389 )
>1985 Maserati Quattrporte (Only 55 American versions produced, made to order for American customers)

And then there's the 1989 20th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am, which, depending on if it's a hardtop or convertible, is incredibly rare. Only 40 hardtops were made, and only 3 convertibles

it also, in general took a lot of generic older cars off the road, which could have been someone's cheap first car, shrinking the pool of used cars in the market.

That "shitty suv" would've been a cheap first car for a new driver.

>Hopefully they do it again and focus on brotrucks.
I don't think you actually understand how cash for clunkers worked. They didn't "focus" on anything. ds a new car"

>he doesnt have the version with the jet engine

>ds a new car"
shit I accidentally a paragraph

the whole point of the program, or at least, the way it was advertised, was, "trade in your old car, your "clunker", and you'll get a check to use towards a new car.

but they took absolutely everything and anything "old"

GMC Typhoon (4,697)
Buick GNX (574)
fugg