Are seat mounted side impact airbags a meme?

I'm in the market for a relatively fast car that has an option for side impact airbags, but the instance that I'm looking at does not have it equipped. Should I go for it? Will I die, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZyB5Kt1Cm0w
youtube.com/watch?v=kiyYQAzofXk
youtube.com/watch?v=roq3TvFxmqM
youtube.com/watch?v=X7ll91F1K-M
youtube.com/watch?v=xmp_9Kcv0ZE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nobody plans on getting t-boned, but that's why these exist.

So they actually save lives?

No they're actually designed to kill you. A wrongful death lawsuit is cheaper than an injury lawsuit

Bad news fäm.

You're going to die with or without the airbags.

quick factoid: the airbag smoke smells bad cos its the gun powder used and you can sustain worse injuries from the airbags than you can from the crash....

All airbags are memes. If they were so safe as they make you wanna think, they would add them into race cars. What do race cars have? rollcages, bucket seats, and straps. Why doesn't every car have them? because fuck the government give me money feed corporations #illuminati #wakeup #bushdid9/11

youtu.be/ZyB5Kt1Cm0w

and neck restraints, that's the important thing. Most airbags are to stop you from snapping your neck.

Because people are lazy and don't want to wear a fireproof suit and a full helmet and a neck brace and mucho straps.

Honestly, the neck brace is useful but not like its a major change in safety. Most cases of car accidents wouldn't be TOO affected by the neck brace, then again, it is quite cheap for what it does.

And fireproof suit? only if the car catches fire. Helmet? not really a need since the harness already keeps you in place and the rollcage wont let the car crush you.

This modern bullshit of making the cars easier to fuck up for the sake of pedestrian is bullshit. If you go with the most modern safest car in the world at 20 mph and hit someone head on they will die regardless of the car.

This, airbags are memes. The thing that's going to save you is how strong your chassis is and if your seatbelt works. The airbags cause more damage than they prevent

Side airbags saved my life.

i dont doubt airbags could save lifes (i am not the one that said they caused more damage, although they did that in the very early stages).

However, having a rollcage and a safety harness that keeps you in place will be much safer.

not everything is a meme you retarded fucks

Story?

Not everything, but airbags are

This is Veeky Forums, everything is a meme :^)

how fucking stupid are you lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=kiyYQAzofXk

>being this buttblasted about killbags

ur a poo bum

Was this supposed to prove something?

People have been driving without airbags for god knows how long, side airbags are the most useless feature shilled by safety ratings

Jesus, what happens to your arm?

Yes. Toyota's will kill you

I'd imagine you'd have both hands on the wheel trying to avoid/brace for the impending accident.

Side curtain airbags and side impact airbags make a bigger difference in small car vs SUV side impact.

youtube.com/watch?v=roq3TvFxmqM

Look at :37 where the dummies head strikes the hood of the Explorer.

Also, the '08+ Focus rides on the same chassis as the '00-07(slight alterations to chassis) but most importantly they added curtain and side impact airbags. It goes from poor with serious injuries likely(skull fracture and brain injury) to good with low risk of any significant injury.

youtube.com/watch?v=X7ll91F1K-M
youtube.com/watch?v=xmp_9Kcv0ZE

To say they don't perform the intended function is simply foolish.

>So they actually save lives?
There was a great video of someone's BMW going over the cliff. As soon as the car's computer detected it was airborne and going sideways, the computer fired off the side curtain airbags. It kept the driver from protruding outside the driver window as the car rolled and rolled on the rocks. If any part of the driver had protruded outside the car, it would have been crushed off.

It's too bad that most airbags aren't needed in most accidents. Thus they end up a very expensive fix that can "total" the otherwise repairable car. I suppose that is good for the car manufacturer since it removes a drivable car from the marketplace and replaces it with a driver seeking to buy another car as replacement. It would be crass if the car manufacturers thought of airbags as a positive force in creating new car sales as a result of accidents.

>People have been driving without airbags for god knows how long, side airbags are the most useless feature shilled by safety ratings

Once your car gets to be 10 years old, anything that sets off the airbags can total the car due to the huge cost of replacing the airbags and the airbag computer module. My car had a ton of those side firing bags and the accident where I ran into a ditch (car was physically repairable) meant the car was totaled. The cost of suspension repair, some bodywork, and the $3600 of airbags/computer forced the car to be totaled.

Isn't the helmet there for your head to survive impact with the cage? Also, without a neck brace with the rest of your body restrained by the harness, you will suffer major injuries to your neck. The whole thing works as a system.

The point is that the rollcage wont bend.

>want to check your blind spot
>have to loosen your 8-point harness and unstrap your HANS to look to the side

There's a video somewhere of a drag Camaro with full roll cage spinning out and rolling several times. I don't remember exactly what happened but the rollcage was bent up pretty badly by the crash and I think the driver's head hit the rollcage hard enough to knock him unconscious. He probably would have died if he didn't have the helmet and neck restraint on.

>having to move in your seat to check blindspot
Get your side mirrors properly aligned, faggot.

>every street car is a 8 second car.

Of course rollcage could bend if you push it so fucking hard. But as far as street safety goes, no car would be going fast enough for a rollcage to fuck up, so there isn't exactly much of a need for a helmet.

The helmet is needed to avoid your head from hitting any hard surfaces, same as an airbag funny enough. Are you seriously that stupid?

>no car would be going fast enough for a rollcage to fuck up

you do realize even the shittiest car can go 70mph, right?

Why would my head hit any hard surface if the rollcage isn't fast enough to bend but its hard enough to keep the car away from me?

>there isn't exactly much of a need for a helmet.
Watch some IIHS crash test videos to see the human analogue displacement.

What, do you have a jelly rollcage? lets take it to 11 here. 12 point rollcage. Some people have to cut the body of the car into two just to fit the wield-in rollcage and then attach the upper part of the chassis back in. I dont think a 70 mph crash can fuck it up.

Even without the cage deforming you can still hit your head on it in a crash. It all comes down the the head movement

Harnesses and bucket seats, friendo.

Fucking how if you are strapped into a bucket seat. Can barely move around in one.