> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What does being #4 in this week's popularity for Greenlight Concepts mean? I've never really looked in the section before.

Mmmm..

Gamedev.

It probably means you need to bait for compliments on an anonymous message board.

Textured this guy

anyone else have greenlights to shill?

Why are the texels on his nose so massive?

No, I want data. If anyone's been on Concepts I'd like to know whether that's basically just ignorable noise and I should only care about something like the last six months/year - or if there's actual significance to this week.

Playstation 1 guy!

Reminds me of the Tomba! 2 characters.

cute blind girl

the real ending is becoming an eye scientist and restoring her sight without her running away in terror as soon as she sees you

cute time traveler girl

it's actually you from the future after you've become a girl

loli girl

she looks 12 but it's ok because she's really a thousand year old vampire

>> Engines
>GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
>Godot: godotengine.org
>Haxe: haxeflixel.com
>LÖVE: love2d.org
>UE4: unrealengine.com
>Unity: unity3d.com
Pointless, its already covered in
tools.aggydaggy.com

your project is still on only the second page sorting by most recent, so it could just be the initial bump + not being completely shit is enough to make you #4. all of the top 6 in your image are also in the first two pages, sorting by recency

at least anime loves me

Hrm. Alright, guess I'm still likely background noise at this point then.

Fucking over this, now it's onto the fun stuff: doing the actual game management including world, area, and map generation, movement of the player and other things on the turn based system, etc.

After I deal with drawing my stupid hexagons in kivy, so it'll be a while

Good job user (:

About to begin implementing a 2D array to hold the grid-based placement of objects, and I had a thought. How annoying would hex-based placement be to achieve using a 2D array? I mean I guess I just have to tweak values on every other line of the array to get it to work

Would anyone like a farming game that did hex as opposed to grid?

That looks pretty solid.

Oh it might make fencing look weird if I did it this way. Maybe I'll just stick with regular grid

This is great, I'm getting MML vibes

For hex-based logic you should use coordinates based on the plane x+y+z = 0. For hex-based storage and some other things you should use coordinates that describe 2 of the x, y, and z of the cube coordinates (since the 3rd can be defined in terms of them). Offsetting every other row or column is just about the worst way you can do it.
redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Only if they try and do rectangular plots instead of hexagonal ones.

>Offsetting every other row or column is just about the worst way you can do it.
Why is that, anyway?

I'm doing my roguelike ()
in hex. Attached is one of the earlier things I had before I switched UI frameworks.

I had to store map information in a 2D array, it ended up not being too bad. It'll take a full day or two to get your hex stuff up and running, but if you follow the lessons on the redblobgames site like this dude suggested, you should be able to get it up and running. He does cover map storage in there and different ways of doing it, so it's a matter of choosing your grid orientation and how you want to store it, then actually doing so.

I'm doing it because I have a hardon for hexagons, but it's up to you if you want to take that additional burden

It would make the game more unique.

But the fencing issue. I don't know. I personally dislike the inability to create square fencing.

It complicates the logic. The other coordinate systems I mentioned are well-behaved algebraically (they're just Cartesian coordinates where the axes are skewed) and thus easier to work with.

Friend, as the person that tries to keep the site maintained and useful for aggydaggy, I want to politely ask you to stop associating it with shitposting. Pls. I can't make you stop, but I can ask nicely.

Just in case you moved to this thread and didn't saw the reply on the last one.

>Have never been much of a gamer
>Still would like to make games

I guess I shouldn't

I have two dream projects and I can't decide which one to work on
>Roguelike with TF-fetish elements
>Shop simulator where you kill things to farm for drops to sell / upgrade your shop

please advise

Think of the efficiency though; you cover 0.0625 square units of area per 1 length of fence with a square, whereas you cover 0.0722 square units of area per 1 unit length of fence with hexagonal plots! That's 15.5% more efficiency out of your fencing, while still completely tessellating!

You don't want your farmers to be inefficient, do you?

Gamedev is not about playing games. Gamedev is about making games. Sure, playing games can help you designing yours by testing out what works and what doesn't, but the processes are fundamentally different. Try it out before you toss it.

As the other anons said, hex-based placement isn't hard at all.

As for the game itself, farming could definitely work. It wouldn't necessarily make fences look weird, it would just depend on how you make the art, and how the player places the fences. It's still possible to make rectangles in hex grids.

do neither and keep up the navelgazing and blogposting

I need more shop simulators. Do it, faggot.

>literally spent the whole day working on the inventory logic
Damn..
Working on complex interactions is such a headache, now I understand why there are libraries out there with GetFromThis.ToThat.AndConvertBack.ToProperFormat(evilParameters)

Good thing though, the menu itself is relative and independent from the visual, so hopefully changing that later will be fast. Everything is merely driven by indexes rather than anything else.

But I already have the base engine done and it's time to create game-specific functionality, so I have to choose a direction. I've already started work.

Cute.
Cute!

I suppose not.

I guess this just goes to show how rigid my thought process was. I should start thinking with hexes.

Yeah I think I'm going to do this instead of normal boring grid. Not like it makes a difference outside of the growing area anyway.

alright i will

The only one I can think of right now is recettear... so fuck it, I think I'll go that direction.

Interfaces can help a lot with that kind of thing.

I love the huge pixel art weapons.

Thank you.
Thank you!

Actually this is literally the only part in my project where I had to use one. I just couldn't think of anything better for solving the menu/inventories issues.

They are from an old dead project. Working on that kind of voxel-ish art is way too time-consuming for a non-artist like me.

Apparently some video game developers in the AAA industry don't even play video games.
And it shows

My .xml is in this file location, but my game can't find it.

What am I doing wrong?

>DocumentBuilderFactory

You're sure it's searching in the right root folder? Also, is the file name exactly the same?

Testing the new drop and delay functions in the missile/guidance/launcher components.

a game which cures hiccups

You might be relative path linking incorrectly, depending on your setup. That may be where the folder is in relation to the rootpath of your project, but your actual build may be in some /bin folder and so trying to look in there.

Make sure you know exactly how your program is dealing with relative file paths.

Also

>documentBuilderFactory

Should be "assets/level1.xml" and that's assuming you've got the right working directory. If you have a path separator (/) at the beginning, it's treated as an absolute path.

>DocumentBuilderFactory documentBuilderFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance()

Alright. Someone asked for a milf and someone else asked for a librarian. Is this a good in-between? Are these waifus adequate?

a post made of shit

Even video game reviewers don't play games

>waifus conjoined at the leg
Didn't know about this fetish

Torso too big, hips/thighs too small.

is that kaceytron

I want to lick her so good enough, I guess

I mean for them to be placeholders while I find a competent artist. I'm just a programmer, yo.

>not going full Leisure Suit Larry 7 on that librarian
This is the gravest mistake you could commit. Try to avoid it.

Maddeningly true. Part of why the game I worked on couldn't get any reviews is because nobody was willing to spend the time to learn to play it - and it was different enough from other games that they weren't able to figure out a way to just give it a score with vague references to other works like it.

Take heed: If you're working on a deep/complex game, you better make the game look amazing too because reviewers will just skip out on it if it doesn't look like it'll be popular.

Maybe you should stick to programming
Kidding, your art isn't bad

I'ma get them with the old "easy to buttonmash, moderate to master".

as long as nobody has a penis you're good to go

makin a roguelite

What's a better system:

1. You start out with one weapon you can completely customize as you level up and gives you passive abilities

2. You pick 1 out of multiple weapons, each are specialized and you can upgrade them with abilities related to that, like one weapon tends to give you more protective abilities, one gives you more offensive ones, etc.

I'm thinking either way is good, but maybe 2 would be better because you can unlock more weapons with certain milestones to make the game more replayable I guess.

the one on the left is hiding something

I'm copying some youtube tutorial. what is wrong with documentbuilderfactory?

They're all hiding something, to be sure. Not penises.

1 is the scope you can handle.

Is Charlotte dev kill? Haven't seen him post since he started working on that new game with the blondie.

Ignore shitposting. Hide/report shitposts. Do not respond to shitposters.

I don't think 1 is less scope though.

2 is basically just separating the abilities into different weapons, to force the player into a specific playstyle.
1 is combining them all into 1 weapon. I'd only have to make a couple sprites for each weapon.

The logic is mostly completed. There are two key things I'm missing, which are awarding prizes and the Bunni-TV thing on the left. Her behavior changes the odds, and can assist in getting certain combinations.

Maybe from a work standpoint. MAYBE. But from a gameplay standpoint if you give the player one weapon and say "GO", then you don't need to worry about the game being balanced for several different weapons. The player will blame themselves if they encounter an """"impossible"""" or more challenging problem with their own upgrade path chosen than being railroaded into a specific tree.

Charlotte dev is a normie not even replying to messages. He's probably busy making Christmas and New year preparations with his friends and family.

>Slots are characters from the game
I really hope those characters are prominent to the point that their faces should be on slot machine reels or else I'll not be immersed in the world.

Anyone have experience with monogame or, I guess, any framework that isn't a full-blown engine? I'm having trouble thinking about how to create menus. Right now my engine is set up to have a few different states

>TitleState
>PauseState
>MenuState
>PlayingState
>ClosingState

Each state loads a "Level". For PlayingState it's pretty each to have one generic loader for the data and then take it from there, but for Menus I've been creating a new "Level" class for each different menu. A "Level" for the game settings menu, with specific values, logic for changing settings, etc. A "Level" for showing the Inventory Menu, etc. Is there a better way to do this? I can't imagine having to individually code each level this way where it follows the ILevel interface I have for draw, update, etc, but it all has different, specific logic and navigation inside.

>there are people here who unironically use hammer
Why? You're not a game dev when you do this.

I may have the MC point it out briefly.

>makes a game about a shut-in neet
>he is not a shut-in neet
I feel betrayed

>>there are people here who unironically use hammer
>""""people""""
They're not real people.

Haven't you answered your own question? Don't use the Level interface for things that aren't levels. Make a Menu interface if that's what you want. Why does every state have a level if literally only one of them uses it?

It's just a naming convention. ILevel just has an update, draw, load, and some serialization.

sounds like a disaster
why do so many "frameworks" and "engines" have this problem?

Ugh. What is that image?

So you only have one State class and the rest of the behaviour is given by the Level? Why not just do it all with the State? In any case, if you wanted to stick with what you already have, use that Menu interface and make it so the menu's Level goes through Menus.

If I were to do this from the ground up I would treat it a bit more fluidly and have like:
>MenuState
>PlayState
>PauseState (stores the PlayState so it can go back and even call its rendering before rendering on top)
>OptionsState (stores either MenuState or PauseState so it can go back)
>etc.
boreal.aggydaggy.com/programming/2016/05/25/mean-clean-state-machine.html

Nah, he's created the problems himself.

>that pic
Lol. Is that what people call game dev these days? Pathetic.

literally what the fuck is that

were they drunk

This.

>pic related
>it's hammer ""game dev""
I can't believe retards keep posting this shit.

Done with the tower interior now. Had to do some crazy (hacky) topology magic to merge all tiles properly around the spiral.

Just a bunch of corridors and one or two rooms left!

gonna make a cozy demon hunting game

>gifs
Have you ever heard of webm, user?
Nice textures.

Too lazy.
Also, not supported on tumblr

I've got another question about arrays in GMS. How would I find an array's X and Y values?

I'm probably doing this ass backwards, but I have multiple units with different equipment. The units are stored in an array, and their gear is in there with them, then the items have their own array with their stats and stuff.

what kind of hunting?

but it is