Why hasn't the WRX STI gotten faster in the last 15 years while the sports car performance median has skyrocketed...

Why hasn't the WRX STI gotten faster in the last 15 years while the sports car performance median has skyrocketed? Every new generation only gets a little bit more power, which is made irrelevant by weight increase.

>1998 GC8E 22b
>2.2L making 280HP @ 2800lbs
>2016 WRX STI
>2.5L making 310HP @ 3400lbs

The Focus RS shouldn't be smoking this thing. It should be making closer to 400HP at this point.

For comparison:
>1998 Mustang SVT Cobra
>4.6L making 305HP @ 3400lbs
>2016 Mustang GT
>5.0L making 435HP @ 3700lbs

It doesn't get rallied anymore so Subaru gave up.

the reason the wrx & sti have no noticeable improvements is because subaru fans are so fucking autistic they will buy quite literally anything subaru makes with a performance badge

subaru is allowed to get away with this because they realized their fanbase is going to shovel money into their pockets anyways

if the focus rs was $15k brand fucking new vapetards would still tell you that the sti is better

If it was much faster then all their customers would be dead from tragic highway accidents

There is nothing wrong with Darwinism. Why punish the skilled and the sensible to make it safer for the idiots who can't drive?

There hasn't been a significant update to the STI's engine since 2005.

There is a new generation Impreza on the way, so either Subaru offers the next gen STI with a version of the newer FA engine or they drop the STI altogether.

>Subaru updates EJ to FA
>but drops displacement from 2.5 to 2.0
>+5 HP

Lol this

they are making riced sedans for dudebros now.

Fuck I wish this weren't true

This is ALWAYS what the STI has been, but at least they had the performance to back up their looks.

back then they didnt look like Corollas with aero bits
even a base model Impreza looked sporty

will make a huge difference in drivability though.

The turbo will pick up much sooner and smoother, like other modern DI turbo engines. Or the current WRX for example.

I'm aware these things don't matter to benchracers

Death of Group A.

Leave daily driveability to the standard WRX which is already great around town. The STI should feel more racey in power delivery.

Besides, some people enjoy the old school turbo feel. It's part of a cars character.

>Cointel post, veiled shilling
Come on we went over this just yesterday.

at this point theres no reason to not buy a golf R if you want a comfy STI or a focus RS if you want a faster STI.

Wrong again retard.

because it's a fucking shitbox, people aren't going to be willing to pay $50k for a shitbox you stupid fuck. waaah why isn't everything more faster

Focus RS is the same price as an STI and is much faster

who would want to drive a focus?

>shitbox

This word has become meaningless.

why mess with a good formula? funny how you compare an 18+ year old coupe when there are so many factors safety, emissions and shit that affect weight/performance. The STI got a new engine for 2006+. Same could be said about the EVO. Subaru is starting to make some big advances after a long time though with the WRX's new FA engine. Do people really expect 400+ hp out of a small 4cyl engine? You even go on to compare it to american V8's. The Focus RS makes a bit more power but we really can't say much when it just came out and have very few info on it's reliability. Older STI's had a few issues ringland failure and such. Good FI engines take a bit to perfect

who would want to drive an impreza?

well the impreza looks better and has more space and oh yeah, not FWD

this.

Impreza is much nicer and isn't a fucking ford focus shitbox

>Do people really expect 400+ hp out of a small 4cyl engine?
The UK-release EVO X FQ-400 had 400 hp and 440 hp in the MR variant

Americans will never know that feel, I just can't see any 400hp subaru's in the future. See how nobody wants to spend almost 50k for a civic type r

>why mess with a good formula?
it would cost them fuck all to add more boost at the factory and give us 50-100hp+ more at the wheels

Literally just a tune and remap away

That's how a majority of people blow sti engines

Because the skilled and sensible driver will be enjoying a nice mountain drive and a vaping retard in a fart can wrx will knock them off a cliff because he couldn't see through the cloud of his Sausage flavored vape.

Accidents often include completely sensible people that were just minding their own business.

Wow that it legitimately disgusting

Neither is the RS

I agree. I think the STi has probably just reached a point where any faster is unecessary. Something that will happen with other cars as well. I don't see Camaros and Mustangs keeping up this pace for much longer either.

A 2.5 0-60 pony car will just never make sense.

Focus RS isn't FWD either though.

Except even the Focus RS isn't a ford focus shitbox
Different engine, transmission, suspension, tuning, and even interior.
The only thing it has in commonality would be the frame and body panels and even then the bumpers and so forth on the RS are different.

Nigger are you retarded?
David higgins just completed an event with Bucky lasek.
In their 2016 sti's
Kys
>why hasn't it gotten faster
>each year HP increase
>comparing V8s to turbo 4 bangers
>being this retarded

That's because the EJ25 has stayed roughly the same through the years, whatever you want to blame it on is subjective.
It's not even built well compared to modern engines, and to compare them to modern engines is a joke, it's an old engine that runs on belts instead of chains and is electronically injected instead of direct injected.
I'm hoping they keep it a 2.5 and build it to modern standards.

not their fault its a underenginered pos from the factory

>EJ25
>1996
holy shit your not wrong thats insane
God subaru are slack

1. Emissions
2. Displacement tax

it sucks, but subaru should have just over engineered the fuck out of the engine so an aftermarket tune and exhaust nets a reliable 100+ hp

nigga you don't know the joy of driving a '98 Impreza 1.6. (five speed)
>I... I'm nott in a hurry anyway
>who needs torque if you have dual range
>dem mpgs (for an Impreza)

As far as shitboxes go it's pretty gudd.

>muh emissions
>displacement tax
HORSESHIT

its just a 26 year old engine they refuse to update

I love Subaru's but good god damn they need to modernize their fucking engines.
The FA20 is actually pretty fucking good in the WRX, I hate the BRZ to some degree not because boxer but because the compression ratio in the BRZ
10:6:1>12:5:1
I understand that they use a high compression to get the 205HP out of the NA engine but it's not worth worth it when they cut corners at stock, easily fixable but annoying out of the gate.
>tfw huge subi fan that just wants to fix it all.

only way to fix subaru is let them die a slow death.

they havent made anything good since the late 90's and have just been going backwards.

>rev hang out of 10

Where the hell else am I going to get AWD sedans? They have that cornerstone market in AWD ecoboxes.
>XD
That's emission standards programmed into the ecu that's a flash out, I get why they did it but I hate it.

Vape Meisters and Monster Energy Enthusiasts continue to buy it. Why would they spend time and money to make less on each car sold? It's not like the STI would sell at 50k+, mostly because it's target market couldn't afford it.

just buy an older 22B or whatever.

Modern subi are fucking heavy and slow

250hp and AWD was impressive in 1996
Not 2016

I'm aiming towards one, living here in the northwest, it's not just rice tax up here. Hard to find one in good condition that isn't overpriced by 5-8k.
The 2017 impreza is supposed to be 3k lbs, isn't that supposed to be right next to the chevy and ford equivalent?

Subaru is a tiny company compared to Ford. If Subaru had Ford's resources they would have improved the engine.