RX 8 as project car

Talk me out of it Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_XQv7BOe9Wg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're fucking shit.

better choose a more hardcore sport's car from the start

not a bad idea.

Are you the same fucking user making this same thread the last few months go buy a beat to shit rx8 with a blown engine for 4k and stfu

Do it, they're incredibly good value. However be careful. Buy either a really cheap one and budget in a engine rebuild/replacement, one that's just had a rebuild, seals etc, or a low mileage later year example. With 230bhp as stock it's not too expensive to get decent gains. Also remember to be very careful with the engine, its delicate as fuck so read up on maintenance and proper wank engine etticate.

Nope, first time I'm making a thread about the RX 8

price is a big factor, the RX 8s with fresh rebuilds go for 5k-6k€ where I live, while things like the S2K go for 12k+ even if they are complete shit.

If I do get one I will certainly keep up on maintenance.

that's really fucking cheap indeed
i suppose i would mean more work then it's fairly heavy

I would do most shit myself maybe even the rebuild itself, I have access to a workshop I could use.

Unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't bother. Rebuilds are quick and cheap where I'm from.
How much where your from is a decent mileage 40k mile RX8? I'm seeing them in the UK from 1k needing a rebuild to 3k low mileage, 5k pristine.

Ultra low mileage (30k KM) go for 10k , and pretty much linearly drop in price with the mileage, those with 100k+ go for about 3k and go as low as 2k if the engine already broke. There are a few with fresh rebuilds but high mileage, those go for about 5-6k

why does Veeky Forums hate rx-8? It's a damn good car, albeit a little high maintenance.

>Gains are EXTREMELY MINIMAL for any equivalent amount of money to the majority of cars
>long wheelbase

>only 170-180 hp AT THE WHEELS

Don't do it op

>why does Veeky Forums hate rx-8?
see
Power loss is extremely high, mods produce almost 0 gains, wheelbase is long so cornering sucks, etc

The only upside of this car is that it can be modified to run on hydrogen, which is the fuel of the future.

Can't, it's a great idea. Cheap too.

Put an LS in it.
Or an SR, or an RB, or a JZ, or a UZ, or a Coyote, or a 13B, or literally anything that's not a Renesis.

>price is a big factor, the RX 8s with fresh rebuilds go for 5k-6k€ where I live, while things like the S2K go for 12k+ even if they are complete shit.

Do it, budget for spending a bunch on maintenance, and enjoy the shit out of it.

Basically a bigger, more serious, more practical Miata, some people get it, some people don't. There really isn't a comparable 2+2 handling focused RWD coupe that's been built in the past 30 years except the 240sx or 86, one is beat to shit, has shittier suspension than the RX8 and less power stock. The other is over triple your budget, and still has worse suspension.

The only thing I'd do aside from maintenance, good tires and brakes is maybe a little stiffer on the suspension side, hear the body roll is significant stock, don't cheap out on coilovers, maybe just sway bars are enough to keep it fun and reliably good.

tl;dr budget for maintenance, fuck the haters, enjoy your GT car.

>€
GAS MILEAGE. Seriously, be prepared to spend a fuckton on fuel.

>cornering sucks
Holy shit what
Do you not fucking understand what the RX8's biggest strength is?

Rx 8 is garbage better save for 7

not much of a project car to be honest
they arent that old so body work will just be cosmetic. rebuild is cheap, and even cheaper if you do it yourself.

1st/2nd gen rx7 is better project car if you want something to actually work on

>Gains are EXTREMELY MINIMAL for any equivalent amount of money to the majority of cars
270hp with exhaust, ecu, injectors and very rich tune. thats a decent gain for an na engine
compared to dumping 5k on ITBs for an f20c and only getting 10hp

>wheelbase is long so cornering sucks
stop posting

I won't be driving the RX8 as my daily driver, I have a leased 1 series that gets acceptable gas mileage.

>Worst rotary
>not turbo which a rotary needs to have decent torque
>shit horsepower
>pigfat body basically designed by Ford
It was a massive step down. Imagine if the next mustang that came out came only in V6 top trim with 4 doors and weighed even more than the current while making even less power.

>270hp with exhaust, ecu, injectors and very rich tune. thats a decent gain for an na engine
I too can think of things I can do to a car to make higher dyno numbers while destroying any semblance of reliability.

yeah that will totally destroy reliability :^)
dont be stupid, its not an ebay turbo kit or something

most powerful na rotary made by a massive margin, more powerful than the 13bt and way more reliable
muh torque, the renesis has fat ass torque delivery which is all that matters (pic related)

you understand what the rx line is about and think every rx is meant to be an rx7
look at the the rx2 rx3 rx4 and rx5, they were family cars dude

sure as hell you shouldn't expect the engine to last on anything more than 200whp without the necessary cooling life-support

>you understand what the rx line is about
you dont* meant to say

t. buscuck

If you want that comparison to hold, that new mustang should also have: bigger rear seats, better mileage, go from turbo to NA but keep 2/3+ HP, be way the fuck safer, and also produce way the fuck fewer emissions.

this is a bad photoshop

it literally only makes like 200hp and that's all the way at 8k rpm

weighs more & doesn't handle as good as the FD3S

is uglier

has absolutely no redeeming features

you can get them for £2-3k here and it's not even worth it for that price

you're literally better off getting a miata for £1k and sticking a fucking turbo on it without any tuning and waiting for it to blow up before rebuilding it and it's still a better option than the rx8 that's how shit it is

>270hp with exhaust, ecu, injectors and very rich tune.
>rich tune
>injectors
>'''''''ecu''''''
>270hp

come back when you stop playing forza

the rx8 makes literally 0 extra power from aftermarket intakes and there's almost no exhaust systems that improve on its factory power output

it's a shit engine in every way. you can't even fucking port it because of the position of water cooling channels.

It will never be fast unless you swap it. So why bother? Get a car that's tuneable from the factory.

lol

>i know nothing the post
re amemyia adjust the side seal clearances and reshaped the intake ports lightly, over 270hp on pump gas
formula mazda guys with a motec, open headers and injectors running race gas can push similar figures

>you can't even fucking port it because of the position of water cooling channels
yes you can. please shut up.

lol see

>1:01 at tsukuba with na renesis making less than 300hp, quicker than an r35, zr1 and 911 turbo
>it will never be fast
roflmao

youtube.com/watch?v=_XQv7BOe9Wg

>etticate.

it's a dorito tosser engine with a long wheel base, it really isn't good at cornering tbqh senpai

it's from a webiste called 3dtuning where you modify cars

It is well worth it at that price dumb miatacuck.

Just stop posting.

that's because it's a render..

t.buttmad

>I have never driven an rx-8 and I have no clue wtf I'm talking about

*ftfy

I assume they're obligatory 98ron just like the FD? I think if I was way into rotary, like if I owned an FD, I would have bought it as a winter beater

>he says as he posts a car completely anemic at low RPM

you can give them lower octanes, but they tend to wear the CAT faster

In the states the recommendation was 91 octane on the MSP

wear/clog the CAT*

It's fine if you don't like the car, but that's blatantly untrue? What are you basing this on? Have you ever driven it? Do you know anything about the car at all?

It's a neat/fun car, but a giant hassle. Over time you'll grow to hate it.

>Engine loves to shit itself because literally Apex Seals blow out
>Factory engine oil and fuel premix is absolutely shit it will grenade your engine.
>Worst RX
>Ugliest RX
>Worse fuel and oil econonmy than a 6.0l V8
>No tourque
>No Power
Theres a reason why they are cheap most of them are run into the ground and where never particuly reliable anyway.

Luckily they are common as much so when it eventually loses compression it wont cost that much to rebuild.

I dont know why people are attracted to these shit barges when the FD was 100x better and the Eunos Cosmo had a 3 dorito's motor with a turbo just go get one of those

because the cost of finding an unmolested fd is unbelievably high, and still gets dwarfed by the cost of trying to find one of only 7500 3-rotors mazda ever made. You talk like these cars are even in the same price-range, not to mention the degree of difficulty finding them is vastly different.

Also, see - particularly:
> There really isn't a comparable 2+2 handling focused RWD coupe that's been built in the past 30 years except the 240sx or 86, one is beat to shit, has shittier suspension than the RX8 and less power stock. The other is over triple your budget, and still has worse suspension.

here in aus they are still relatively cheap.

Whats your budget?

I'm not OP, but as far as US pricing goes, an FD is usually at least $12k, and one in really good condition (either well-modded or very clean) can run $20k+ and Japanese imports running at roughly the same cost, once all is said and done (though imports can only be 25+ years old)

And 3-rotors; something with a 20b in it is going to run you easily above $20k, though prices around $35k are more typical given the difficulties actually finding a cosmo/engine

Remember, the cosmo was never retailed in the states, and there were less than 10k ever built in total, iirc.

As for the rx8, you can find them for between $4k and $10k depending on condition and location. A fair bit of the US market sales were also auto-tragics, which you want to avoid like the plague, so by the time you get down to brass tacks, $5-8k is usually what you're looking to spend to get an 8 with a good engine.

thats not even expensive even by aussie standards

Why are yanks such whingey pussies?

Glad we're hoarding all the good JDM cars from you cunts.

Enjoy our used up R33 and R34 skidpigs

>Why are yanks such whingey pussies?

>median income is like $50k, and 75% make less than $80k
>Cost of living average of about $30k (single, a scone) or about $65k (married, 2 kids)

most people make enough to get by and not much more, making it hard to justify spending $20k (that's literally 40% of the median annual income) on what is purely a luxury item that will inevitably continue to cost money as long as you own and use it.

Another way to put it - it's a lot easier to spend 10% of your income on something as opposed to 40%.

in other news, >Enjoy our used up R33 and R34 skidpigs
yeah...