Do you use your handbrake, Veeky Forums?

Do you use your handbrake, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o3nTmSJqKuc
dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/parking
lallouslab.net/2014/06/03/preparing-for-the-washington-state-driving-test/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every single time.

Thats what that thing is for? I always thought it was just something to rest your hand on.

How the fuck do you stop your car from rolling down a hill without?

leave in gear or in park
turn into curb

>ive never had a parking brake or even rear brakes on my truck

I kinda have to use the zip stick since I drive manual.

Yes, even in automatics. I've had them slip out of park before. Have to use it constantly in winter because no winter tires and FWD understeer,.

Why would I use the emergency brake if I'm not in an emergency?

automatic gearbox apparently

sup fags

Oh, yeah I forgot about autos, I never owned a non manual car.

Why the fuck wouldn't you use it to park?

Emergency as in "the last point of failure", not like "for emergency situations on the road"

That would classify as being in an emergency wouldn't it?
Also, where else do you plan to have your last point of failure occur?

Idk, my car has an E-brake

>slip out of park before
Wat? It's literally a mechanical pawl locking the transmission up. They don't slip...

Because you have a parking prawl

*Pawl

I think he means to say that he didn't engage it all the way for the pawl to bite.

>not left foot braking to upset the weight distribution and send it forward therefor unloading the rear tires and letting them kick out

Sometimes the shift linkage doesn't pull hard enough to put the tranny in park when it gets old and worn. It gets really sketchy when your car can start in gear.

>hit remote start
>Truck backs up into fence

If you unload the rear wheels the front wheels will understeer harder. If you scand flick that bitch the back wheels will kick out themselves.

That still doesn't make sense. A hypothetical worn linkage that fails to engage park will still have the tr sensor that will prevent the car from starting in gear. Unless your hoopdy is such a pile a shit that the TR is fucked and so is your shifter. That's unlikely unless your a shitty mechanic that put in a tranny and don't know how to setup the sensor and the linkage is fucked. That's like the only slightly plausible thing I can think of.

I can tell you've never driven an old GM.

I drive a manual so yes, I have to? what kind of question is this

Clearly none of you scrubs have ever used the handbrake to get over something your car doesnt want to go over in manual.

I'm talking about so steep you can almost call it a wall

Thats what I have hill assist for. Stay mad poorfag.

Automatic and diesel torque masterrace.

Are you stupid?

>hill assist
>Automatic on a diesel

as a "europoor" i feel pity and contempt for you amerifats.

I sure don't feel pity for your asshole. You know, the one that Mekmuud the Saudi Jihadi is stretching out every night.

Define old? I'm referring to stuff that's new enough to have a tr sensor mounted on or in the transmission that will prevent the vehicle from starting in gear. That's most cars made in the last 20 years. There's some exceptions out there with the sensor in the shifter, but you wont find that setup in a truck with a column shifter.

Even on new cars the transmission will get stuck between Park and Reverse and not quite click into P. Just ask this guy.

wat?

Holy fuck... Don't worry about it then. I guess automatics are too complex for you. Keep driving your 0.6l diesel manual.

I think they're a little to much for you to handle if you don't even know how to put one into park.

They don't always stay in park... Hence the need to set the handbrake....

>"stuck"
He never put it in park. He went from drive to neutral.

A parking pawl isn't going to fucking fall out of park. You're speaking above your head now. If it's engaged it's going to stay there unless you physically take it out of park. The feeling is obvious when it engages.

The indicator says it's in park but the actual transmission is still in reverse for a second till it "clicks" into P. It's probably because the tranny's worn and the fluid is old. I've seen automatic cars rolling back in parking lots before.

>A parking pawl isn't going to fucking fall out of park.

No shit. But it won't fully engage or will skip across the teeth, it's definitely possible.

Neither of those posters and non-American here, but just wanted to say that you're a faggot.

I used to use my ebrake, but water gets into the cables on my mr2 and now all the rust makes the brakes extremely sticky. If I use the ebrake I get annoying squeaking from the rear for the first 10 mins after I drive off. For now I'll just leave it in first.

Sure. How else would i park and do mad skids?

You realise that pawl can become worn from people parking on hills and resting the weight of the car all on the pawl right? that's why when you go to shift back into gear it's much harder to do so.

People who are idiots are also prone to throwing vehicles into park while still moving slightly causing the pawl to be responsible for bringing the car to a stand still.

How? If it's not engaged the car may roll back a little then engage. If you park on a steep hill you'll know whether or not that pawl engages before you even attempt to step out the door.

If your shifter linkage is so worn out it can't go into park then yes you can have problems. I don't even know what the fuck you're even arguing about though. You were talking about remote start earlier. If the linkage is worn and wont engage into park it's going to have issues starting up with a tr sensor preventing it from starting in gear. Also why the hell are you using remote start on a car that is so fucked supposedly that the tr sensor is out of alignment/broken and the shifter linkage doesn't go into park to create this implausible scenario that the truck is somehow able to start up in gear?

Bullshit, Show me some real evidence of that. I've worked at repair shops and that's not a real problem. Parking pawls are not wear items. They're reused in every transmissions rebuild. Just stop it man

Hold the fucking phone are you saying i DONT have to use the handbreak to park my Automatic car? I've learned and only driven manuals until a month ago and always use it regardless.

>He hasn't driven two turbos of automatic landship diesel

You're suppose to but you're not going to run into situations where it can roll the engine over on a hill like with a manual. The park mechanism locks the transmission.

Older trucks I've driven don't have tr sensors or they're broken, most old trucks and cars don't have them or they're broken. My blazer 4.3 would start with a flick of the key in any gear including reverse so you had to be careful.

youtube.com/watch?v=o3nTmSJqKuc

my deaf friend tried to manually shift his automatic on the highway and slammed it in park, parking pawl was destroyed

So really old stuff like 20 plus years old? I think by 96 all the manufacturers had some electronics on their auto trannies. Even before then throughout the early 90s there were some electronics. Basic shit at least like a range sensor or even a basic neutral switch.

lol, that's shitty to hear. Unusual, anecdotal as well and out of any normal driving parameters.

legit question, should you even be on the road if you're deaf? not trying to insult him or anything but it just seems like not being able to hear would be a massive loss of an important sense while driving

I've been wondering this, especially since I took an ASL class years ago with a deaf teacher that drove every where. I'm assuming you have to be really careful about mirrors and such. He told us that he would only ever get new cars because he would pick up on the vibration of the vehicle, so when shit started going wrong he would tell it didn't feel like it did when he drove it off the lot

The scarier thing I have heard was a girl I knew that had one eye. The combination of her nose creating a blind spot for her one eye and the lack of stereo vision got her into constant accidents.

seems like not being able to hear would be a massive loss of an important sense while driving

Pretty much everybody these days has earbuds in blasting 110db of bullshit into their ears while they drive. I'd put my money on the deaf person being a safer driver, at least he's not distracted.

are you trying to say that left foot braking doesn't work? please leave.

he's probably never undertood that leaving it in gear can keep the vehicle in place. I have a 5 speed tacoma and the E brake on that thing stays engaged no matter where I'm parked. I don't feel like relying on just my first gear

I drive auto, so i don't really feel the need unless I'm parked on an incline and I don't want to rest the entire weight of the car on the pawl.

Only when it's above 45F outside and it's not winter. I've been fucked over by frozen parking brakes too many times to rely on them in such situations. I'll actively avoid parking on hills in the winter if it means I don't need to use the parking brake.

>i DONT have to use the handbreak to park my Automatic car?
You don't "have" to, but it reduces stresses on the parking pawl and if it snaps you're gonna have a bad time if the handbrake isn't on.

Yes, even when I drive an auto. It's mostly habit

it isnt a normal wear item but they can be ruined and worn by idiots. Go throw your car into park a few times while rolling at idle, you're gonna hear that pawl grind until it is able to seat or its going to slam into park and jerk the car, no different than parking on a hill and going into oark without the parking brake you'll feel the car roll forward until the weight of the car is resting on the pawl and jerk the car.

Shut the fuck up you gigantic faggot

Every time I park.

Every time I park. It's either in 1st or R depending on the incline as well.

when people say "turn into the curb" do they mean turn your front wheels so that the front end of the car would roll into the curb or the rear end?

That depends on which way you are facing on the hill. If nose down the front goes in. If noise up the rear goes in

If parked on a hill or if I'm at a long stop in neutral.

Is there really any other time for it?

>How the fuck do you stop your car from rolling down a hill without?

Turn wheels into curb which is recommended in the state driver's manual which you read before taking the driver's exam. But I also set the parking brake to make it harder for someone to steal the car by pulling it up onto their flatbed and driving off with it.

>Pretty much everybody these days has earbuds in blasting 110db of bullshit into their ears while they drive.

They don't use them long in my state. If the officer sees you using a cellphone, headphones, or earbuds, he is able to pull you over solely for that. They have it on their camera, so if you then say you were not doing so, they will add an additional charge of making false statements to an officer.

Some say you should rather use the handbrake than just leaving it in first gear, because if in first gear only, it'll rest on a rather small piece of metal in the clutch/transmission only

Is this true?

Parking and emergencies only really. My dad uses it to brake normally even though I tell him that it will wear out.

Every time. If i am parked on an angle I put it in gear and use the handbrake.

>Do you use your handbrake, Veeky Forums?

If a fancy car is behind you, Use it to brake check someone without pressing the brake pedal which causes the brake light to come on. If you have a stout bumper then you can take the rear end collision without real harm. But their porsche or tesla gets an expensive punishment whack.

My parents sometimes leave the golf 7 in park in a small downwards parking lot.
When i release it (from park to reverse), i can feel how something is rubbing against each other. Definitely some mechanical pain. It feels always weird and hurts my soul.
I definitely wouldnt do that in a steep hill. It surely will break the lock.

In france, the recommended wheel position is straight ahead when stopped, litterally written on driving test instructions

I'm still learning stick and I never use the handbrake right. I've thought about just abandoning the brake at low speeds and just using the handbrake to practice it at stop lights and stuff.

Bad idea?

Yes. There are people who don't?

Keep your foot on the brake, blinding the person behind you with your brake lights.
Or you balance on the biting point, wiggling back and forth as you sit there, cluing everyone into the fact that you can't be trusted.

>I've thought about just abandoning the brake at low speeds and just using the handbrake to practice it at stop lights and stuff.

I'm either not reading that right or that's beyond bad, it's pretty much insane. You use it for parking or in an emergency when your foot brake doesn't work, that's about it.

I've recently started driving after a really long break - like I'm basically relearning everything after getting my license 12 years ago and not driving since.

I'm looking for tips on how to get out of parking spaces on slopes. I find it really difficult to get moving quickly and not roll off, at least without using a handbrake or too much throttle, which is really dangerous when I've got another care like 30 cm in front of me.

I mean braking to a stop normally, engaging the handbrake instead after and releasing the foot brake. Then when the light turns green raise the clutch until the front lifts and drop the handbrake to launch. I figure if I do this from every red light for a week or so I'll have it down.

I can do it now without much problem but it's a very slow process and sometimes I don't do it right and stall out.

i usually put the handbrake on before I put it in park

is this bad?

>Then when the light turns green raise the clutch until the front lifts and drop the handbrake to launch.

Unless you're starting uphill that seems completely unnecessary.

>In france, the recommended wheel position is straight ahead
Seems like in France, that is for security purposes if the police need to push the car out of the way or tow it off. In every USA state I've had a driver license, the officially issued driver manual says to turn the steering wheel and use the parking brake.

California: Turn to curb
dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/hdbk/parking

Washington State: turn to curb
lallouslab.net/2014/06/03/preparing-for-the-washington-state-driving-test/
www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/docs/driverguide-en.pdf

Might be, the only time where turning the wheels when stopped is recommended is when parking on a slope
Just release the clutch until it bites then let go of the brakes before revving, you won't even roll back

I use mine on both auto and manual cars. I just like the sound

It's not a "handbrake"
It's not an "e-brake" or "emergency brake"
It's a parking brake.

I've heard of hearing being an issue for getting or keeping a CDL, but for regular driving, I don't think they would care as long as a doctor said you were OK to drive.

MFW my handbrake engages my front brakes

Yes but mine is electronic button activated. Interestingly it turns itself off automatically when you start normal acceleration.

Car in first gear (or reverse if I'm on a significant downhill slope), pull handbrake up. Then take my foot of the brake (To ensure the handbrake is holding the car and not the transmission), and then the clutch.

>Car in first gear (or reverse if I'm on a significant downhill slope)

Wait just a goddamn minute. Shouldn't it be the other way around, as in, first gear on a slope?

First if you're parked facing uphill. Reverse if you're facing downhill.

No, the idea is that you don't want the car be in the gear for the direction it would go in. So if you're facing uphill, the car will go backwards, you want to be in the opposite direction, first gear and vice versa.

That being said, I think both work fine. First gear and reverse will both provide resistance regardless of direction.

To add on to this actually: Any gear you put in would provide resistance. But because of the difference in gear ratios, I'm not sure I would trust putting it in 2nd, 3rd, 5th, or whatever gear on a significant slope

PSA: You are supposed to pull the parking brake with the car in neutral, let your foot of the brake so the parking brake takes the cars weight.