>won't get a job to buy said "everything"
No YOU kys jamal

lrn2write tools off on your taxes faggots

Lol I didn't even know you could do that

youll have to buy them upfront, but write them off and get that money back

Why wouldn't you be able to, you use them to earn money at your job

>tfw machinist
>tfw writing off thousands in metrology equipment and tooling
Shit adds up real fucking quick. You think you niggers have it bad with snapon tooling, go buy a 0-6" micrometer set from one of the big three.

I actually was just about to order a Mitutoyo, do you prefer a different brand?

Mitutoyo is one of the big three, their stuff is good. Other two are Starret and Brown and Sharpe.

What were you looking to buy from them?

A digital caliper

>still waiting for my Wurth torque wrench from Germany I ordered 6 weeks ago
Must have been buried in Hitlers tomb and they are still digging it up

Yeah I'd get one from Mitutoyo then. Look at their ABSOLUTE IP65 line if you're going to be using it in a shop setting where oil and shit will get splashed around.

>Hand crank stabilizers

I mean, the fucking thing drives around, whats stopping them from having electrically controlled stabilizers, or hell, even an auto leveling system

>>metrology
hows the weather?

>being illiterate
Weather is meteorology.

Will take a look

>weather on earth
>studying rocks that fly around in space

>I mean, the fucking thing drives around, whats stopping them from having electrically controlled stabilizers, or hell, even an auto leveling system
>snapon
Oh about $10,000.

> (You)
>Will take a look
They're like $150 IIRC for a six inch model, they're on Amazon I think.
> (You)
>>weather on earth
>>studying rocks that fly around in space
Ain't English funny?

thats the joke fag

It didn't cross my mind. How exactly do you "write" something off?
What else could you write off? I'm curious.

Have you never payed taxes before? I'd start there, should be self explanatory

>how do
keep reciepts, deduct from taxes
>what else
anything you need to do your job, which isnt supplied by your employer.

Good god son, go talk to your accountant. But if you don't have $6000 or more worth of things to write off then you can't.
>work expenses
>interest on certain loans
>charitable contributions
There's a lot of shit you can write off on your taxes but don't get stupid because the IRS will gladly rape you for fraud.

Honestly as retarded as this sounds this is what I do.

>end of year
>collect both W-2 (work 2 jobs)
>walk into Jackson Hewitt
>pay 80$ lady messes with my w-2's
>collect refund in 3 weeks
That's all I have ever done in the 5 years I have actually been working.

No accountant
I don't save receipts

That's it.

You can write anything off, the stupider the more likely you'll get audited tho.

And you don't "just get the money back", you don't pay income taxes on that money, so wiring off 10k in tools might save you $700 in taxes that year. Most of you wouldn't even notice the difference in your taxes.

It's okay user, that's what a lot of people do. If your taxes are really basic
>single guy, no kids, no investments/interest income to worry about, etc
then that's fine to do. But if you have things like a mortgage, kids, job expenses, etc then you should probably find a real accountant that you can sit down with and find out what you actually owe and can get back. The ~$200 you spend on a proper accountant can save thousands.

> pays 80 to get raped by the government

inb4 b-but I get money that way

>might save you $700 in taxes that year
Nigger what? That's going to save you over $2000.

>10k in tools might save you $700
>yournotdoinitrite.jpg

someone told me i can write off the fuel i spend in commuting to work everyday
>50 miles to and from work 5 days a week is 500 miles a week
but i dont think thats true.

yeah my taxes are simple.
>single 23 year old
>no prior marrirage or current
>no kids no child support
>no investments
i have them take more out of my taxes everypay check so i can get back more every year.

Do ambulance stretchers exist for toolboxes yet? Imagine being able to just push the thing in and out of your truck bed.

>someone told me i can write off the fuel i spend in commuting to work everyday
It's not. You can only write off fuel if you are driving FOR your employer. IE "Hey user, I need to you run this to the next town over." In that case, yes you could write off the fuel you used for that specific trip if you keep track of the mileage.

>i have them take more out of my taxes everypay check so i can get back more every year.
You're an idiot, why the fuck would you do that? The ideal situation is owing nothing and getting nothing back.

I knew that was wrong.

And because I have them take it out of my California state tax you mong.
Because you get back 90% of it every year.
>last year payed 1300$ in state tax
>got back 1,028$
>asked them to take out additional 25$ a week
I don't know the exact number but that was a rough estimate. And that wasn't even including the federal.

Sorry but I haven't grown up enough yet to have investments and kids and marriages and home loans and equity and other shit like that.

>And because I have them take it out of my California state tax you mong.
>Because you get back 90% of it every year.
Holy fuck what? Any money you get back on your tax return is money you never should have sent to begin with. Your tax return is not an extra big paycheck it's you tossing money into a hole in the ground that you can't touch for months for literally no reason or benefit.

You must live in a 3rd world country if you don't understand your deductions from your pay checks

That's pretty rich coming from the guy that didn't know he could write off work expenses.

my tools are a mix. little of this little of that
i am not, repeat NOT loyal.
however i hate craftsman ratchets

Doesn't matter. Atleast I understand what a tax refund is you Mongolian carpet manufacturer

Not him but you don't. The only reason to do that and have extra taken out is if you're in a higher tax bracket or you can't save money and want a small chunk once a year. You're fucking retarded for doing that being poor, single, and not having kids.

I'm not poor. And you're the retard for not doing it.
They take more out I get more back
They take the regular amount out I get shit back.

I have done this every year and I get more and more back last year I got back nearly 3k$ dollars beforevthat it was 1100$ before that it was just 550$

Let's be real here
It's simple. What's not to understand?

You get shit back because you get more all year long on your checks.

I just bought a brand new craftsman toolbox yesterday. $500 new, on sale for $350, and had $125 in sears gift cards. Needless to say im pretty happy

Bro he is right ()

You are just putting it into a government piggy bank.

I use the extra deductions because I work two jobs, but one of them is self employment so it lowers my quarterly payment for that business.

The money you "get back" was already your fucking money to keep you mong. All you're doing is giving a $20 to Mr. IRS to pay for something that's $15 and he's just nice enough to give you back the change.

>paying extra to get a tax refund is bad
this the only way some people can save money, get their refund and put it in the bank. some other people do it as an excuse to spend a bunch of money all at once

>yfw this is the average American's understanding of how tax returns work

>i hate craftsman ratchets
i like the older full polish teardrops.

And we call those people idiots, yes.

>youll have to buy them upfront,

90% of techs don't do this.

> but write them off and get that money back

Sort of....you have to spend more than your standard deduction in order for it to pay off, and even then you don't just magically get all the money back, depends on a lot of things.

Also:
guaranteed this guy is the worst tech in the shop.

I have tools

When I need to use a tool a grab one and then use it

>You're fucking retarded for doing that being poor, single, and not having kids.

Eh, not really. Poor people can't save for shit. A $1800 return at the end of the year equates to saving ~$34/week, or about $5/day. That's the price of a nice coffee every morning, or a shitty lunch every day, or a cheap pack of smokes/can of dip. A poor person will happily piss that $5/day away like nothing.

Someone with decent financial stability might start up an IRA or something and just dump that $35/week into it, instead of letting the gov't hold onto it for a while, but not many people under the age of 40 are all that interested in saving for retirement.

Probably the best thing a poor person could do would be to opt for extra deductions, on the order of $25-$50 per pay period, last I knew there was a little box you could fill out on a W4 that allowed to you tell the gov't to take extra out if you wanted to. They'll probably never notice the missing money, they won't be able to change it, so they'll have to learn to live without no matter what, and at the end of the year, if they're not completely retarded, they'll have a decent little nest egg to dump into a CD or something at the end of the year.

Or you could just save the $25-$50/week on your own and dump it into a savings account, then roll that into a 5 year CD at the end of the year or something, but when the choice is between a little perk to get you through the day or saving for no discernable reason, most people will choose the perk.

tool noob here

how the fuck do i know which bolt needs a 1/2 or a 3/8 or a 1/4 ratchet?

i dunno how to even go about buying a set of tools to fit these. should I buy all my sockets in 3/8 and then get adapters for 1/2 or 1/4 sizes?

General rules of thumb. Anything smaller than 3/8" can use a 1/4" drive. Anything 3/8" and bigger up to about 3/4" can use a 3/8" drive. Anything bigger than that probably needs a 1/2" drive. Start with 3/8" drive and build up from there, it will cover 90% of what you need.

just get the 3/4" ratchet and adapt it down to the smaller sockets

half inch is just stronger. you use half inch on high torque shit.
It's not much more expensive to buy a set of each.

1/4 is a meme. just a buy chinese set from HF, you'll rarely use it anyway.

You'll get a feel for it. I use 1/4 drive up to 13mm, 3/8 between 10mm and 19mm, and 1/2 drive 16mm and up. The overlapped parts it depends on how tight of a space it is and how much torque involved.

depends on how tight a space you're working in really. 1/4 works best in tight spaces, but can't put much torque on. 3/8 is average. 1/2 is bulkier but can handle more torque.

3/4" and more, if you have to ask what they should be used on, then don't even bother getting them because you're going to hurt yourself.

if in doubt, just use 3/8

Guys what kind of multimeter should I get? I'm getting an entry level technician position soon and I'm not sure what kind of meter to get. We used the Fluke 117 in class but I've also been looking at Fluke 77-IV. Fluke 88-V would be cool but I can't drop 400+ on a meter. The ability to check fuel injector pulse width might be useful though.

If you're working on a smaller engine like a motorcycle 1/4 drive is handy and less likely to strip out the aluminum, not impossible though

When I'm out riding I usually have a 1/4 in ratchet with 8-14mm sockets, can practically disassemble the whole motor with what you can fit in your pocket

fluke's are nice, I guess, I have two of them. The only problem with them is blowing fuses, which I've never done but any time someone has borrowed mine they always fucking blow it, they're kind of hard and expensive to get replacements.

Personally, I'd say any old meter will do, even the shitty ones you can get for $30 at sears or something.

99% of the time you only need them to check voltage and ohms.

Lol I use my 1/4" all the time, git gud

I don't ever unless I'm under a dash and I'm being generous.

I use them for a lot of under hood work now. Impact 1/4" works like a fat dick sucking bitch in tight spaces these days.

I at least want true RMS readings and automatic range finding. Maybe I'll just get the 117.

I'd imagine it getting used a lot more on cars made in the last 10 years, but I work on mostly vintage cars. Honestly can't remember the last time I touched my 1/4"

I've had Flukes in the past but after my last one got too beat I just got an ESI. The only feature I really use beyond the basics is range/record.

I use 1/4 drive about 75% of the time these days. Just depends on the brand and how they're put together.

>Dem storage solutions.

Unf.

I've never seen a setup that nice in my life and I've performed maintenance on nuclear warheads for the government.

>can't even see in the top two drawers

Fucking pointless.

I'm addicted to buying tools, but currently need more room.

I just bought a new car and it didn't come with the stock tool kit. Do you guys have any premade tool kits you recommend? The usual ones look like cheap quality.

I'm thinking of just picking up some Gearwrench 3/8th set in a small case. Or maybe even making something from tools I have. I have like 2-3 sets of Craftsmans in the average sizes. Ratchets, sockets, and all. I would just need a bag or roll up case.

>tfw just started another job as a techcuck

I though I left this life behind.

PLEASE RESPOND

Use a stool

That's because anyone who can afford cabinets like that can afford to pay somebody else to do their work.

MFW I have that engine (almost) and about to do have to do the timing belt even though its in perfect condition but the PO didn't replace the water pump which now leaks...

I use a cheap craftsman bag for my on-the-go tool kit

they sell these $5 craftsman tool bags you can use to store your in-car toolkit

Shadetree here.

I have a timing light that I've used exactly once.

When I bought it at AutoZone the package was caked in dust because it had been sitting on the shelf behind the counter for like 10 years.

It's taking up space in my drawer of random crap and I can't decide whether to use it as a makeshift buttplug or throw it away.

too heavy

Christmas coming up. My dad's Phillips head screwdrivers are all worn out and strip literally every screw. I want to get him a new set but I want to get him something good and for automotive use. What should I get? How big a set?

FUG.

eastwood.com/shop-equipment/hand-tools/screwdrivers.html

Eastwood all the way. I've been getting a lot from them over the years since they're eastcoast distro 15min from my parents house.

Great quality and great price with a lifetime guarantee. That 9 piece set is a great deal, but the ratchet and bit set is GOAT, I use it all the time. The painter at the body shop had the Matco version (identical except for name on ratchet and case) which was around $80.

Does this set have enough sizes for general automotive work?

Stretchers are rated for like 500 lbs. You're telling me someone's movable tool chest weighs more than 500 lbs?

You really don't need a lot of tools... I've done quite a lot of car work, not quite fully rebuilding an engine but replacing belts, water pump, alternator, radiator, headgasket, cam seals, valve cover seals etc at age 19. I've needed these tools for my RSX, Miata, and STi:

-Firstly: At least one shop / repair manual for your exact car. A pen, a pencil, and a notepad. Plastic baggies and a sharpie for bolts.
-Various ratchets, adapters, and that flex joint thingy for poorly-engineered bolt placements
-Metric sockets / box wrenches (6-, not 12-sided) up to 24mm
-SAE sockets for those odd SAE ones thrown in or if you work on an americlap vehicle
-Spark plug socket + the socket that gets your wheel lugs / lug nuts off
-Various screwdrivers (you'll need many sizes of many types - there's always the *right tool* for a job and the *other tools* that will do it but may strip shit)
-Hex keys
-Breaker bars (med. & lrg.)
-Torque wrenches (small & med)
-Four fucking jackstands (don't you dare do shit without these, I had 2 cars fall on me [miraculously not injuring me] as a teenager before I learned this lesson...)
-Multimeter
-Soldering iron
-Wire strippers / cutters
-Dremel
-Funnels
-Tubing for extracting clutch / brake fluid
-Brake / clutch fluid pump (I guess it's called a 'brake bleeder')
-Broken bolt extractors (I broke off the main camshaft bolt head lol pic related, the big one)
-Oil / water catch canisters/tanks
-Small hydraulic jack
-Air compressor (if you feel like you need one)
-OBD-II scanner if post '96 MY
-Tactrix cable if you are autistic enough (like me) to want to datalog and tune fuel maps assuming you can get software for your car.
-PB Blaster / Acetylene torch / Wire brushes (for stuck / rusted bolts)
-Extendible magnet and mirror for the bolts that you WILL drop in the bay and that WILL land in hard-to-reach places in the frame.
-Spark plug gap gauge
-If you have something fucktarded like a modern Audi you may need special tools / keys for shit.

I hit the max post length there but:

-The box tool that pushes in brake pistons
-A toolbox or five (pref. with foam inserts w/ cutouts for a place for each tool)
-Pliers / tweezers
-Fluids / greases / extra blight bulbs
-Mechanic's gloves & latex gloves
-Cardboard / rubber mats / or creeper for getting under cars and setting under your knees
-Hand wash
-Shop towels
-Some other small shit
>And potentially:
-A jukebox / speaker setup and music player / tablet / phone / computer
-A shop light for night time
-A space heater
-Mosquito repellent...
-Small medical kit (I cannot stress this enough)

>I would not recommend air tools to anyone, ever unless you are a paid mechanic and time is of the essence.

Also, don't forget alcohol and or your favorite recreational drugs (I find cannabis, amphetamine, and morphine is a good car work combo as it motivates you but stops a lot of the pain that may occur both physically and mentally)

Oh yeah, you will likely need an oxygen sensor removal socket, too.

Honestly, I know, I said "you don't need a lot of tools" and then took up 2 full posts listing tools but this isn't crazy by any mechanic's standards.

Overkill but A for effort.

>I would not recommend air tools to anyone, ever unless you are a paid mechanic and time is of the essence.

I recognize it's an opinion, but that's just silly. air tools are incredibly useful, and a decent starter set can be had for fairly cheap. I use my impact wrench all the time. Did an air tool touch you as a child? :^)

Also fwiw there are responses in here from pro mechs.

just the roll cab in the op pic weighs more than that empty

Half of those aren't even tools/expensive to get :P
Everyone should have most of those lying around a house/garage.

What year sti do you have? I have an 00 2.5RS and putting an ej207 v8 in mine.

I used to have an '06 STi but sold it in 2014 to pay off college debt because I also had (and still have) a perfectly fine NA miat to drive.

And yes, most people should have that shit lying around but I felt like listing it all for the teenage autists around here.

I had:
>AP V1 ($70 used) custom tuned by me to 19 psi for 93/94 US octane.
>Cobb catted downpipe ($160 used). Catted because they hadn't figured out how to solve boost creep at the time for catless WRXs/STis.
>GReddy EVO2 catback ($250 used)

I ran 12.9's according to the Montgomery Motorsports Park and hit 173mph according to my scangauge-II. I could also easily get 27-30 mpg with the 19psi tune if I wasn't redlining everywhere. I had it for over 60k miles, 55k with the tune and never had to replace shit other than fluids / filters / belts / brake pads / tires.

That's easily a 2 inch drive, not a 3/4. I'm inclined to believe it's a fake picture or a novelty ratchet.

>novelty ratchet
its this one

its 3/4" drive if you use the right adapter

Ohhh montgomery, I miss you. Racing on 231 and I-85.

My us general roll cart is falling apart after a year. Just ordered a snap on krsc46 in midnight blue.

sell it to some fag with a VW bus or bug

who here hates special or vehicle specific tools?

I love those kind of tools when I need them and have them.

I've got a cheap beam style torque wrench which needs to be replaced. I'm planning on picking up a nice click type torque wrench. What's a good torque range for a first wrench?