2nd Gen Ram Problems

What are the most common problems that occur to 2nd generation Dodge Rams and what can I do to prevent them? As my first truck, I love the thing to death and want to take as much care of it as possible.

>What are the most common problems that occur to 2nd generation Dodge Rams
The most common problem is that it is a dodge.
>what can I do to prevent them?
Not get a dodge.

My 1999 ate through heater cores. To be fair, northern Maine winters are very harsh

oh you're one of THOSE people

would that explain why the heating in my truck is shit? Iowa winters are a bitch too

Yes. I'm one of those educated people.

F I R S T P O S T B E S T P O S T

don't you have to go finance 28 inch chrome rims for your FCA niggermobile?

22's, thank you B)

stop bein a queer faggot and buy a cheby

>pic related
>it's you

>stop being a queer faggot
>buy a chevy
You just contradicted yourself there, kiddo

Nah senpai people who do that should kill themselves

none y'all fuckin helpin

Sell your dodge and buy a cheby,

>What are the most common problems that occur to 2nd generation Dodge Rams

those obnoxious "DODGE THE FATHER, RAM THE DAUGHTER" windshield decals

RUUSSSSTTTT

are you talking about anything other than the obvious and widely known transmission issue?

oh fuck what transmission issue

buy a chevy

>he doesnt know about dodge's well known transmission problems

it isnt even a meme either

how many miles does she got?

I don't even know what fails inside. I rebuilt one in college, and I just put one in a truck a lot like yours.

only 126k
It's a 97

hopefully it's on it's third rebuild

The automatic transmissions used in 2nd gen Dodge Rams, the 42,46 & 47 RH-RE are all 4 speed automatics used in the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. They're basically a 727-A with overdrive tacked on. They're fine if you have the 3.9 V6 or the 5.2 or 5.9 V8. The problems arise when they're put behind the 8.0 V10 or 5.9 Cummins. Those transmissions weren't designed to hold the power/torque those engines put out.

Basically don't try to tow/haul more than your truck rated payload and you'll be fine. Remember to turn your O/D off when towing as well. Another option is buy one with a manual because automatics in trucks are useless

I have the 5.9 and don't do a lot of towing/hauling

Let's say my transmission does take a shit, how much would it cost to do a manual trans. conversion?

the badge on the front. buy a chevy or a ford they dont break down as much as dodge. no wait... chevy does. buy a ford truck and you will be driving it instead of posting how shit this truck is.

OP, you'd be doing well to ignore generalised claims such as , , . It's a common Veeky Forums trait where if an anonymous poster doesn't actually know anything about a particular subject, they try to offer some generalised garbage they may have heard somewhere once before in an effort to sound more experienced than they actually are.
Your best bet is googling and lurking through Ram specific forums (there's a shit load of them) where uses are not only owners, but a large amount of them enthusiasts who can offer much more weighted advice based off experience. Chances are what ever you may come up against has probably been dealt with before and there's more than likely a thread about it.

If your heater core has been "eaten", then you'd have coolant leaking in the cab. If your heating is crap there's a chance the heating element may simply be externally clogged with dust, or your cooling system needs a good flush and a change.

Maybe

I'm assuming you're the same retard

I'm convinced the very few people on this board are actually mechanically inclined or are capable of doing anything beyond changing their oil

>Having knowledge on the subject and trying to help OP makes me and him a retard

what knowledge do you have? I've torn these things apart. I replaced one yesterday.

If that were me and I knew all that why the fuck would I even ask? To answer my own questions?

I can read your fucking nametag. I'm saying that those two posts are the same posters uneducated ramblings

The knowledge to tell OP what transmission he has, what it is and the common problems that are associated with it are due to it being under built from heavy duty application or people being retards and not maintaining it.

I've rebuilt these transmissions as well, I've rebuilt many transmissions from other manufacturers as well.
Mostly every repair I've done on these trucks transmissions was due to some idiot buying a 2500 with a diesel then towing with with O/D on because they didn't read the manual.

t. technician at a Chrysler dealer from 97-03

then why did the one I just did go out on a 5.9?

You're right, you CAN read my nametag! Too bad that doesn't mean anything!

so you come here asking for help and get upset when you hear something you don't like? this isn't your safe space

I'm not saying they don't go out on the gasser trucks. I've done a few repairs on them as well.

Was it your truck? Friends or customers?
Did it have high miles? Was the truck a work truck or grocery getter?
Was it abused or babied?

Heavy abuse, high mileage, towing more than payload, towing with O/D, or luck of the draw. All factors. Best case scenario for OP is if he maintains it and doesn't abuse it, it will last him.

customers, 170k. not a heavy work truck, bed had only light scratches.

I've been getting great answers so far, except from you.
THESE are the answers I like to hear

What's was the failure?

believe no 2nd.

without having my hands on it I can't say for sure but I remember having a 727 that barely had 1st(would just creep even at WOT). It was an 85' still with original fluid and filter, trash in the valve body was the culprit if I remember correctly.

Was 2nd completely gone or somthing?

>transmissions

The early ones in thses trucks liked to kill the O/D units due to lack of lube. There's at least three revisions of the intermediate shaft that increase lube oil supply to the O/D unit.

After they finally got that settled the main thing that takes them out is metal contamination from a failing torque converter. Primary symptom is that they start shifting oddly and then when the pan is dropped during diagnostic inspection the magnets in the pan are found to look more like fuzzy chia pets than magnets. The reason they shift oddly is metal debris has gotten in the valve body and the valves are sticking. Interestingly GM and Fords with similar amounts of metal contamination don't develop the same level of valves sticking. In any event it still requires a rebuild because that shit is everywhere and you'll have to tear it down completely to clean it out.

must have been. someone tried a flush, fluid looked brand new.

just backflush the heater core, i had a 94 with 200,000 on it, no heat at idle, only a little when moving. back flushed it, refilled with fresh coolant and she was blowing hot. Rust is definitely a huge issue, if its already got it better git gud at knocking out the old and working with bondo.