Is your car ready for the winter?

Is your car ready for the winter?

Snows are on. Should probably toss a shovel and some planks in back. Didn't have time to zaino it beforehand.

Yes.

> Michelin X Ice Xi3, 215/55/17

>H11 LED Headlights

>Traction Mats

>Aluminum Foldable Shovel

>Extra Windshield Fluid

>Paint clayed, sealed, polished, waxed

>Wheels and tires cleaned, protected

Ready as I'll ever be senpai, until I get it wrapped anyways

A common thing Dutch people do is throw a bag of kitty litter in the back. It makes for great traction material for next to nothing

Just realized, some people might think I meant the bag toe act as extra weight. Throw a handful in front of each tire if you can't get away. It gets you some decent grip on ice

That used to be a bit of a thing in the US as well. But that was back when cars were RWD and dad taught you the life secrets.

No such thing exists here in California ... so yes, my car is ready

No... but that's ok we don't have winter in commiefornia

I need to get snow tires at some point.

thank the lord for block heaters

my evo is on a trickle charger and about a month ago i put a bottle of octaine booster in it

i have to add another bottle in january and run it some time this week for at least 5-10 minutes so the fuel system doesnt get stale

i will be driving it in febuary or march

WHEW

Next Sunday night is going to be FREEZING.

I may have to close my windows.

having snow is p fun, t. cali expat who used to frequent tahoe

Block heaters?

it plugs into your electrical outlet at night and heats your coolant to keep the engine warm.

Why can't this be built in to cars automatically?

it would add a manufacturing cost for a feature that is unnecessary to the majority of the consumers who would buy the car.

because it's a useless feature for 90% of the population

Roof and windows are still there. Heat works.

So, yes.

It is common place on every vehicle to have one straight from the dealership where I live.

you're what's wrong with this state you fucking cuck, please kill yourslef

How does everyone stay alive in a climate like this?

It used to be very important/necessary to use a block heater, but with fuel injection and generally better cold start design, the engine doesn't actually need to be warm anywhere to run well.

Diesels still use block heaters for the most part, but smaller diesels (cars, pickups) are even getting away from needing to be plugged in except for the coldest days. Some don't even come with heaters anymore.

Battery heaters are a cheap way to do it now. The only part that really matters on gas engines now is "can your battery turn the engine fast enough when everything is cold".

>sluggish transmission
>leaking head gasket
>bald tires
>rwd
>pickup truck
you bet

my whole family is from denver, and I have been coming here my whole life. deal widdit.

at least I am not one of those fucks who moved here just for dudeweedlmao

Yep.

I'd say once it gets below -20/-25 blocks heaters are pretty necessary. Have you seen what oil looks like when it gets to -30?

Do everything you can to stay warm.

G L O B A L W A R M I N G

It's a myth invented by the Chinese.

Lucky fucks.

> exhaust fell off my car but still connected
> higher idle at start
> loud
> shittier mpg

Yea I think I'm ready

Hell yeah

shitty michelin x-ice tires? check
fwd? check
open-diff? check

Yeah I'm ready

Did a rust proofing myself, 2 different sets of knock off brand winter tires, basic emergency kit, tool bag with 3/8" drive socket set, bolted my scissor jack to a 2x4, lighter, tuque, gloves, escape tool, 30" breaker bar, shovel, first aid kit

>all this shit and more heavy tools and the back end still gets hectic above 60 km/h

Well aren't you special

lel
>one time blizzard
>thanksgiving brah gotta go fast
>watching cars in ditches
>need more gas
>why is my car so loud snow is quiet
>let's have a look-see
>well who needed half the exhaust anyway
>hope the neighbors are happy because I'm not fixing this shit until it's warm out

Always

Haven't seen it, no, but we regularly have -30'C days (before windchill) and the only issue is the battery. My company uses diesel trucks F250s in the arctic. They'll cold start down to -40 before they have to be plugged in (but if it's that late into winter, nobody's manning the sites anyways). The jet fuel they burn has to have additives to not freeze, though.

Does a block heater help? Of course. Less wear on cold starts. But as to why it's not installed as standard, it's because it isn't necessary and car companies are top jew.

all that for a camry

>Do everything you can to stay warm.

Including ghey stuff?

It's not gay if the balls don't touch, user

That's true.

I mean, you know you're shacking with a garyfag when he starts rubbing balls on your balls.

All that to be safe and prepared

Yup

11in last night

Winter tires on, tow strap, jumper cables, blanket, mittens, hand warmers, snow brush/ice scraper, portable radio, extra washer fluid and even an MRE

To be safe and prepared plus also to be able to lend a hand when people need it

Did I mention the reflective jacket and Dash cam?

Big garage m8, I want a garage that's that big

Had our first real snow fall last night in Ontario. Driving normally with FWD and snow tires while everyone else being slow pokes. Quite fun.

Has been all year.
> Ice scrapers on the back seat
> Bottle of de-icer under a seat somewhere
> Fluids and tires topped up all the time anyway
I just wish I'd done something to make the back end stay cleaner. It's covered in black shit right now, because of aerodynamics.
Removing the vacuum behind the car results in air being sucked around onto the back of the car. Wet filthy air means the car has a filthy wet arse. The rest of the car is clean and shiny due to hitting water at high speeds.

Yes
>winter tyres that no longer have studs in them

for you.

It's nice to for storing shit.

It's heated too but It's not very well insulated. It's extra $200 dollars a month in gas to heat in the winter

Option to heat it to like 3'C instead of house temperature?

I'm sure 1000 bucks of insulation would go a long way, too.

I keep it 10'C. But It does need to be insulated better. It's pretty drafty.

I'm still working on getting rabbits out. It's that time of year they start sneaking in

I just got my license last week (24). I have as 1991 Ford Ranger FWD v6. Am I supposed to do something different because it's a truck? I read something about putting sandbags in the back of the bed, it's pretty tiny. Are snow tires a meme?

My summer tires were not ready, put my small 4 piston brakes back on so I could run my stock wheels this last weekend.

I assume you meant RWD?

Sand bags or cat litter in the back, whichever you can get cheaper.

Snow tires aren't a meme in the snow (or on ice), but if you do bother with snow tires, do some research and get decent ones. Cheap snow tires are often just as bad as all seasons; then you'll be just another idiot parroting "snow tires are a meme" when in reality you're just a cheap jew.

Don't be a cheap jew.

Also learn that spinning your tires like a weiner doesn't usually get you going any faster than a smooth, gentle acceleration on slippery surfaces (unless it's a lot of snow and you're digging through it).

2WD. How about these? I'm kind of broke so this is basically my price range. Should be snowing in the next week, hate to learn to really drive on snow but can't be helped, bad timing.

Never used them. I'm one of the idiots that cheaped out on winter tires, but I don't use the car that often anyways. I just bought whatever the sale was to replace the rubber on my winter rims. That is how I know that not all tires are created equal, though.

But if you read reviews and compare prices, and you're confident those seem like good winter tires after a half hour-ish of research, then chances are they're good winter tires. You basically just need to avoid the "Discount Tire House of Rubber Super Savings" garbage, because they really are garbage.

Also, find a parking lot to root around in if this will be your first driving experiences. Get comfortable when the back slips, because it will, regardless of tires or sand. But, it's very easy to control, you just have to be used to the sensation and not panic basically.

>i've never been anywhere outside of my small geographic niche in southern california so i think my state doesn't have winter

Which piece of shit is yours?

Muh GT

Was pretty fun sliding around the empty lot anyhow.

What the fuck is 'winter'?

> t. Floridian

It's like not living in the worst state in the country

Haha, good one. I don't even have a snow brush

I just brush off the snow that sits on the windshield and make sure the grille is clear

I dropped my keys in the snow unknowingly when brushing snow off my car. I searched for it for hours and had to call in for missed work. Anyone have tips? It seems keychain bluetooth trackers are kind of useless because you need new iOS versions :^)

wait for spring to wash it down stormdrain

then go to exit of stormdrain to locate your key

Metal detector.

What if the snow by now has sort of hardened? Will it go through?

nope, out of luck user

Got a 2002 Mustang GT with manual tranny.
Just put some blizzak ws80s on her Saturday. I live in Michigan so we just got like 10 inches of snow.
I spread about 200lbs of salt bags in the trunk and in the back seats.
Went through the snow like a champ. Wasn't worried at all.

... nigger please, how would frozen water impede a metal detector?

An acquaintance of mine has an Auto V6 Stang convertible with bald summers.

He thought it was a great idea to initiate a drift at 30mph in the middle of a snowstorm at a 4 way road. He initiated the drift and we went into a snow drift.

You know what they say about not getting whiplash until the day after the next day? All true.

>48°F
>2chilly4me
Kys

Did it the coupling at the front of the midpipe break? Happened to my legacy

More like it rusted off, but yes.

Running General Altimax Arctic on 15" steels. Got some mud flaps to protect muh paint.

The General tires are great for how inexpensive they are, and driving in the snow is easy. Only issue is when the snow gets high enough to hit the low front valence, which isn't very often thankfully.

I got Generals, and I love them.

Only 3 seasons in Atlanta. Get to skip the shitty one

Your weather forecast includes air quality, which bothers me that it's even a thing to worry about. I'll take my snow.

W i n t e r ?
Im from Arizona, I dont get what youre asking me.

no

good thing they gave me a RWD Charger loaner

I live in Phoenix so summer tires stay on rear round

Well it WAS, and I was having fun sliding around my empty work parking lot doing awd things, but today it started vibrating/bouncing like a mad cunt from the rear right wheel.

eyyy AZbro.

You don't need to set up your car for winter.

T. Michigan

> fwd

yes

AWD shitbox went to pasture. Open dif FWD. Two or four snow tires?

But not Krowned
May as well kys

Weight on the rear wheels - check

Towing cable and jumpstart cables?

There's a used car I'm looking at in Michigan and it keeps getting pounded in the ass by snow. Guarantee it's not selling soon since it's RWD, manual, and reasonably powerful.

When's the best time to call the dealer and lowball the fuck out of them for it? In the middle of it snowing/freezing? Right before the next storm hits? Right after when their spirits are low?

>Right before the next storm hits

This. But go in on person to lowball him. He'll think your more serious

t. Live in the UP

that's neat

Nice.

Clean too

Good job m8y

that strap is doing literally nothing

i have a piece of 1/2 steel notched for the wheel wells on the floor of my box, still have a fully useable bed now with ~650lbs of weight

four if you want to steer AND stay on the track

Yes. Winter tires on, fluids checked. But it won't snow anyway. Snow is getting really rare here in Germany.

How is the strap doing nothing?

RWD, Check
Traction Control disable module, check
deicer, check
summer tyres, check

Yep all ready.