What's the appeal of Wranglers?

What's the appeal of Wranglers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F49-xHQnhkM
youtube.com/watch?v=TlZ55xFhDIQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Always having something to fix

IDK but I definitely want one someday, I think it has a lot to do with it's rugged looks.

I honestly would still pick the Range Rover over the Wrangler because the build quality is just shit on Wrangler's, but for purely an off-road vehicle, I'd probably go Wrangler because I wouldn't be pissed if I fucked it up and it's "supposed" to be "used".

The Range Rover may be built better but you don't have to worry about your air suspension collapsing every 2 months in a wrangler.

They used to be a decent, compact utility vehicle with nice off-road capabilities.

I wondered the same thing until my mom bought her 4 door JK. I drove it with the top off and the doors off and it honestly was the most fun I've had driving a daily driver. If I could afford a second vehicle it'd be a wrangler.

Once upon a time (About 10+ years ago) the jeep was a competent off road vehicle that could be upgraded to fit any niche. Now they are an incompetent mess that need upgrades to even touch dirt. I own a 1971 cj6, a 1991 YJ, a 2004 TJ, and at one point owned a 2009 JK. The JK is the only one i regret buying because it was the only jeep that wasn't ready to offroad from the factory.

I also own a 1966 Kaiser-Jeep M35a2.... because why not.

The concept of the jeep was to be a jack of all trades, good at all, great at none. With light modification you could make it great at any one of those things though. Now they are just mall crawlers. They even got rid of the 4.0 which was a fucking sin.

Any pics of your YJ?

Its on the farm, but I will look for some. If not I will post in a few days when I go back up to Missouri

Helped my dad rebuild a CJ7 from a rusty shell he got for $200 into a great inna woods machine a few years back, old Jeeps are GOAT

Only pic I have. From before I repainted it.

You can't kill old Jeeps unless you let them rust or sit. The V8's were good, but if you got an old AMC 4.0 i6, then you are good for life. 225k on my CJ and still going. Never torn down. We think the headgasket might be going though so we may finally have to break it open. BTW, M35a2 is mid headgasket job rn. (Thats a fucking bitch)

Off-the-lot offload capability for the rubicon models. The aftermarket is bretty cheap compared to weebshit.

Ditto with the I6. 300k strong here.

qt ^^

I bought a 2015 wrangleu unlimited rubicon.
>inb4 lol mall crawler
Seriously though, I work for the U.S. Fish and wildlife service in the San Juan mountains and use my personal vehihicle all year. I've trashed the shit out of it already on old logging trails, ran it into ravines with packed plow snow, ran over logs at 15 mph etc... 27k miles later it's held up nicely. I have a 2.5" lift and 35s on it now. Ask me anything m8.

I have a 6-speed 3.6 DOHC wrongler and am ambivalent about it. But I like to beat the piss out of it.

Start @ 1:34:
youtube.com/watch?v=F49-xHQnhkM

Mine doesn't have a limited-slip or locker so:
youtube.com/watch?v=TlZ55xFhDIQ

Jeeps are fucking cool. I nearly got an unlimited rubicon.

Even the base sport model is 4wd with brakelock diff(its not that bad)

I love the half doors, and also being able to run with the roof off. (we have great weather almost all year)

It does have a rear locker thought, right? My rubi has both front and rear.

Nope, I have a sport-S. The lsd was an option (that mine didn't have) but I think the locker wasn't on any sports.

Post pics

In a bit. I'm out of town for the holiday and my phone is fucked now.

Pic is the jeep

This is one of my fucked skid plate. Stock protection is pretty shit Tbh.

That was everything I was hoping for. Good looking JK, I like the color. Ever considered replacing the front or rear bumpers with armor?

Nice YJ. Ran mine to 230k before selling it. Those are next on my list. I really do need a winch.

For

So is it the Yjs that come with the 4.0 I6. That's the same one that's in the cherokees, yeah? I have a 98 Cherokee that's the base model with no mods (yet) and don't know if I'll just drive this forever or wait until summer and trade for a YJ. Are newer wranglers just universally hated? I really wanna buy one that I can be first owner with but I've heard mixed things about the 3.6

Thanks. This one's a 2.5L i4 with 83k on it.

>ability to take doors and roof off
>plenty of space in the unlimited
>reliable all year vehicle
>4 wheel drive available on base models
>can take it where other cars can't
>only 4wd convertible on the market
>top trim level still cheaper than jap suvs
>$75,000 less than a g wagon
>$40,000 less than a new Land Rover
>massive aftermarket to personalize your vehicle
>historical lineage

Gee I wonder why people like these things so much?

You talk about build Quality, when Land rover considered to be some of the least reliable vehicles, and topped a engine failure list.

The 4.0 I6 isn't just a meme, it really is a tank. All the shit talkers are either weeb busriders or butthurt toyotaphiles with rusted out junkpiles. The 3.6 is solid and has more than enough power if you choose larger tires.

This too. How the fuck is Land Rover known for build quality? Topkek

04-06 Unlimited TJs worth trying to pick up or should I just grab a normal one?

All of which the upcoming bronco will do better. Can't wait for the teenage girl mobile to be btfo

Deucebro here, I agree that the current Jeep is the weak link, but you do realize that we are getting a new jeep soon that will probably come with the turbo diesel. Just remember that all the power ford has been extracting from those engines has caused short lives for half their models, and knowing ford, they will be pulling as much power as possible from it.

Not saying huge power in a small package is bad, but for offroad, I wouldn't want to be there when the timing skips a tooth and it starts slapping valves against the piston.

It's a meme. New wranglers are good. It's just poorfags.
Only YJs and XJs past 1991 have the "high output" 4.0

What you get depends entirely on your goal. Don't let the video game memers on this site fool you. All SUVs need basically all the same mods to be actual good offroad vehicles. It really doesn't make the slightest difference what base you start with.

What would you recommend? I'm really wanting to get into off-roading in the 98 (Cherokee) I've got, it's bone stock. I'm guessing tires and suspension are number 1 on the list? Sorry, not wrangler related so I'll post a pic of one haha.

Tires and suspension ARE the list

If i want a new wrangler for 60% city driving. 40% hunting / camping.
In a place that gets snow and ice. What model should i look at?

Any reccs on suspension? I have tires in mind, but there seems to be a lot of lift kits out there brand wise.

Rubicon. If you get the 4door, a 2.5" lift and 33-35" tires will get you a lot of placees. OR you could get an older sport model for cheap, drop the axels and get better Dana's for a similar price. It depends on how much aftermarket you're willing to get into.

this

plus an almost unbeatable resale value.

Tires, suspension, then everything else is situational. If you want to crawl you will need armor and new axles, If you want mud you will need to replace everything about once a year because mud is hell. For beach and trail, good lights help. Also, a winch is nice anytime, but a good bumper is nearly required. Remember, a comealong works wonders.

A stock unlimited will do everything you need if you're not getting to far off the trail. If there is mud and water in the way, get a good set of tires. You really don't need a lift unless you're getting into technicals and offroading for the fun of it. I advise picking up an older used one as the warranty will be gone and therefore will be cheaper. You don't need a rubi if you go that route as you can pick up ARB air lockers for cheaper than the Rubi name and I for one would always go for ARB's over the shitty e-lockers that come from the factory. Also, swaybar disconnects are like 120 bucks.