NYC Veeky Forumstists thread

>Cucked by having to take the subway
>The last of the V8 cabs have gone
>Garage parking is $500/mo
>Now too cold for bikes
>Nobody has a garage to wrench in

Is NYC the worst place in the US to live as a car guy?

no, commiefornia is the worst place to live as a car guy

>piss water for gas
>police have mental disabilities
>judge will literally order you to have your shit crushed if they want
>95% of mods are illegal
>the entire state is cucked by the epa

it's a shame they have such good roads.

even though florida has shitty roads, the auto laws are pretty much nonexistent if you just have valid registration. doing whatever the fuck you want to your car makes living in this state worth it.

>makes living in this state worth it.

sure, if you want to become "florida man"

I went to college in L.A. and drove out with my NA Miata, registered in CT. CT doesn't give a shit- no inspections, cars over 25y.o. don't need emissions. I think the way to do it is have out of state registered cars but live in CA.

The roads there were amazing. 15 minutes from where I lived, I could be in the Angeles National Forest on absolutely stunning roads. Pic related, it's the Miata (ended up selling it in L.A.).

>another user from CT who also has a black miata

I am thinking about moving to california! Where in CT are you from? Im in Milford.

*had, didnt realize you sold it till i read it over again. anyway heres mine

I'd like to add something to this. As a Commiefornian who has driven in SoCal all my life, I didn't really notice whether or roads were good or bad until I took a road trip to Phoenix. Arizona roads are REALLY good, and I found out that they use their old tire rubber in making them.

california roads are glorious compared to New England roads.

truss mi daddi

Are those ZIIs on K1s? What a beautiful sight. Looks like you did a good job on the rear parachute bumper mod too.

I'm from Greenwich. Pic- my current toy.

Ignoring road surface for a moment, SoCal roads are good because they're just plain beautiful, and often without any trees so there are fewer blind corners. For about an hour outside of NYC in any direction, the area is just so developed that there aren't any scenic twisty roads left.

how is it that california has the worst roads yet its so romanticized when it comes to driving?

Did you actually just take a Floridians thoughts on roads seriously? The highest mountain in Florida is a 300ft pile of garbage. There isn't a decent turn in the entire state. California has the highest density of great roads for obvious reasons, mountainous and diverse topography with a population density high enough to need a lot of roads. I'm talking about enjoyable to drive roads btw, not how smooth the 35mph straight road is through the middle of town.

when it snows like it does now, if you have a powerful awd car then the road is pretty much all yours

if you have bikes no cop can stop you from doing literally whatever you want

nothing is more baller than driving your highly modified ride to your favorite spot and valet and right in you go

I drove my miata from CT to L.A. Made that cross-country trip 3 times. NYC and Chicago potholes made me feel like my car was going to fall apart. Never felt like that in L.A. whatsoever.

I don't understand how californians claim to have the superlative "worst" roads, yet there's no weather there. Sure, they're poorly maintained, but not more than most places. Mostly they're romanticized because look at this view (pic related).

OK bby
Oh yeah, without a doubt. People who have never driven down PCH at sunset are unlucky indeed.

Incredibly expensive insurance too. Traffic is worse than its ever been. Drivers have seemingly become even more insane than they used to be.

>such is life in the big apple

yup they are, although i cant take credit for doing anything on this car other than changing the oil and replacing the battery terminal. Previous owner did all the work. He was planning on tracking/driving it more often but was too busy and just kinda sat in his garage for a bit. As you can see the previous owner did a pretty clean wire tuck and deleted a bunch of shit, including the pop up headlights. its got a 1.8 swap with ported and polished heads, torsen diff, and a bunch of other shit done to it.

>greenwich
Nice! last time I was there I saw Ralph Lauren driving his Ferrari F40 around town.

That's a beautiful example of a Miata user
Shit yours too

oh and sweet rx7, gotta love those 1st gens!

thanks m8 l love it,

Because Los Angeles is a city where you absolutely need a car to get anywhere. In most other major cities like New York and Chicago you can get away with not owning a car. If you don;t have a car in LA you're fucked
The PCH is the best road in California in my opinion

Thanks. Here's another pic. Borrowed a friend's DSLR to take pics when I sold it. Ended up selling for $1000 more than I bought it for because of that.

WOAH WHERE ARE THE HEADLIGHTS????

>nb nardi steering wheel

hnnng. I want one wrapped in suede

also like i said the previous owner was going to track it and made it as light as possible. I mean he put lil LED lights where the turn indicators are so yeah. I have shit visibilty in the evening but Im thinking about acquring pop up head lights or getting fixed headlights like pic related

thing is they cost $900 bucks.

Yeah but California has at least 500 beautiful miles of road to drive. Having to pump 10% ethanol doesn't sit on my mind for too long, and I don't run illegal mods because I think it's fucked up to give kids asthma.

Plus, there's nowhere beautiful to drive on the Atlantic coast that I know of.

Looks like you got lucky and found a good, well modified car. If the PO couldn't get around to tracking/autoxing much I hope you do.

I'm still not clear on the headlights. If the turn signals are now LED headlights, are the pop up headlight lids attached to the hood somehow?

>flyovers actually believe this
o i am laffin

You forgot

>traffic and more traffic somehow getting worse by the day
>if you don't spend $150-400/mo for a garage/spot you'll spend literal hours some nights looking for parking where your shit is likely to get vandalized/hit and run'd
>bikes and to a lesser extent cars get stolen all the time
>nearest track is at least 2 hours drive
>nearest decent roads are at least 1.5 hours drive away in northwest jersey/hudson valley ny
>currently low 30s and roads are already being salted, bikes are going to sit until at least april
>old 1990s cars are all in junkyards or in different states of oxidation
>roads suck dick, look more like the surface of the moon, almost no elevation changes just all highways
>surrounded by stancefag fuccbois and ricers

at least cops don't really give a fuck about traffic violations and you can speed everywhere most of the time. and our inspections are a joke (safety + obd2 scanner)

i'm waiting for the big earthquake to hit socal already to sell my shit and move to glendale.

This is all too true and too depressing. Normies are always asking me "why don't you like it in NYC?". Here's the answer.

NYC here as well...Where the fuck do you live that its 500 per month for parking in a garage?

Manhattan UWS, also a healthy dose of hyperbole

well yeah now it makes some sense. NYC is pure shit...I can't wait to fuck off to the suburbs

Roads arent that bad here,

Also Pacific Coast Highway is a godly road to drive on

oh i forgot

>track days are $200-400 on average, vs $80-200 in socal
>3-4 major tracks within 1-2 hours of glendale, ca vs 2 tracks within 2-3 hours of nyc
>active steet racing scene in the canyons if you're young and reckless (or stupid)

there's nothing good about here only bad if you have cars/bikes as a hobby and if you're not into the fine arts (theater/music/art/movies), fashion, or nightlife (clubs/bars) the only thing you have going for it is public transportation system.

the suburbs still suck with

>even more snow
>insane property tax rates making housing expensive
>still a hour's drive from nyc and god help you if you're working in manhattan its 2-3 hours one way by nj transit/metro north instead
>less nogs/spics, more heroin/meth junkies that won't be scared to break into your garage and clean you out while you're at work

at least you'll be closer to decent driving roads if you move out to the hudson valley/northwest jersey

$300/mo for a 2 car garage in east elmhurst queens

if i didn't have that i would've left sooner.

>I don't run illegal mods because I think it's fucked up to give kids asthma.

natural selection

>>The last of the V8 cabs have gone

Don't tell me they got rid of the last Crown Vic. Not even a 3rd party company runs them?

I would go half with you if I actually knew who you were and trusted you...also if I lived in elmhurst queens...also you are most definitely asian.

the crown vics were dinosaurs. replaced with hybrids which yellow cabbies love now for giving 3x the mpg or minivans (wheelchair accessable/ada compliant).

town cars were replaced all with tahoes/suburbans/yukons or minivans that get the same or better fuel economy and have way more room (useful for airport runs). if not accords/camrys/CRVs.

i'm hispanic lol

i have a e36 m3 and 2 bikes in there anyways

just keep a eye out on craigslist, i got lucky to find my spot.

try to avoid renting from anywhere the landlord lives btw.

Why is that?

That sucks, I guess I will never set foot in Manhattan again.

I've seen third party cab owners drive 1g Crown Vic's/Grand Marquis here in the past year. This is Rustachusetts too.

>are the pop up headlight lids attached to the hood somehow?
exactly

Will keep giving you bullshit.

My M3 has been on jackstands for the last 3 months and my landlord hasn't given a shit. My old cars were loud as fuck and my neighbors didn't give two fucks, neither did the tenants above. I was there until 2am last night changing the oil on my daily.

Meanwhile I have buddies of mine who rent elsewhere who get bitched at by their landlords for getting a new car and not telling them, for their car being too loud, for coming too late at night, for leaving tools and stuff around, etc. The worst my landlord does is leave his junk in my garage (2 ladders, a new Weber grill, and a refrigerator).

that would piss me off since you are paying for that space. I have this option to park it outside in a outdoor parking thing. Its dirt cheap and I dont give a fuck about parking out...just the finding parking thing is so damn frustrating .

damn that's a nice porch

New England roads are fun, especially in Vermont where they're made of dirt.

NYC friends, the parkway roads in the Bronx and up (with the exception to the Bronx River, that's a fucking death trap) tend to be much better than the interstate roads. And you don't have to worry about tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles.

There is a rumour going around that someone is trying to organize some events for all kinds of road vehicles this upcoming warm season. You might even be able to race for pinks if you're good enough. Maybe it'll bring the scene out of Queens for a bit.

It's called rubberized asphalt. Not only does it make driving smoother and quieter, it also helps dispose of old tires.

it's my dream to be Florida man

Yeah but the police don't give a shot about road/traffic laws so you can do whatever you want in your car (at least not in norcal)

>porch
It's pors-che

I have to deal with this shit!!

goodlad

Chinatown here... garage next to me is $480. Can actually find overnight street parking relatively easily between two bridges and under the williamsburg bridge area.

I'm glad I finally moved out of that shit hole. Everyone there is legitimately awful and/or depressed

Some guy in an S Class even tried running me over because I had the audacity to cross the street when the walking sign came on
The look on his face when the car slammed the brakes for him was priceless

Ah, Patrick Bateman finally bought a car