/domg/ - Dominions General

I have no relevant images aside from this one edition

Previous Pantokrator →

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3166&st=0#entry40004158
github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases
mediafire.com/?jv48wvnu4cm8auc
dropbox.com/s/cfvsolcuxs9a61s/War of the Nations.rar
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?s=43bc402ca55ac2965f2636b3aa13d83e&showtopic=2517&st=0
pastebin.com/m1zjgUDk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for skellies are human and deserve better treatment

what if the skeletons are elves?

that op pic

ayy

What nation number is Ys? 56?

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3166&st=0#entry40004158

One noob needs an intermediate player to guide him, he wants to play TC.

>pureskill sauro

Anyone know what the mod guys use to get all their sprites against a black background? I am about half way through some shitty sprites.

This paint.net thing is really handy by the way. Thanks to the user who suggested it.

Didnt mean to quote.

Maybe just have to use paint.net to make a black background and line up all the dudes yourself.

I've done that. Might be what everybody does, really.

I thought thats what it was but I wanted to make sure.

Are you the Gransys guy? If so, I'm wondering what you intend to really make out of them, since Gransys as its own entity is pretty much just super standard medieval guys. At least, that's what I got from the video game. Or is it just "Everything in Dragon's Dogma, just named Gransys because it works"

What do their rec options look like?

Weapons of Mass Destruction+Better Arena Awards game?

add in summod and worthy heroes, make it EA and I'll join

Its supposed to be everything but I was too lazy to think up a name or spell the one I picked right.

Rec options look like super standard medieval guys with bandits and a few cultists. Pawns are recruitable sacred immortals but they are shit because they are supposed to represent the pawns without Arisen. Once I finish that I plan to give them a ton of summons in the form of the monsters from the game and Arisen with their own non shit pawns. The idea is that their standard troops poor and they summon more monsters until their armies are almost entirely monster filled.

I have an idea for an endgame spell that changes the everfall site at the cap into what its like after you beat the dragon and it just starts shitting out gems and monsters but kills a ton of pop and increases death or something.

Wouldn't you rather have a cool preview pic like the Project Omniomicon dude makes

If I had the slightest amount of artistic talent that would be nice but I am literally worse than most children. One of the main reasons I picked the source I did is because most things are already in the game and I wont have to do much sprite work.

How much do you think worthy heroes changes the value of the luck scale?

Barely. Heroes are cool, but very few are worth, say, dropping a point of Order for Fortune in the hopes of getting one.

You say this, and yet...

I don't know much about DD but I suggest making the pawns into something like recruitable foulspawn. So instead of getting a generic pawn, you recruit a pawn and you get a random one from some class.

trying to learn how to maximize my results with ea arco.

current idea: weak pretender, double bless, pegasi bless army

are this scales ok or there's something retarded i'm not noticing

if this fails / does result as good as I expected, i'm gonna try summon arco

How attached are you to S2?

Take heat 3 or cold 3 in return for growth 2. After that take a point of turmoil (or a second point of misfortune) for growth 3.

You could also get better scales with a different pretender, like showed.

Here's S2, cold 3, and growth 3.

I dropped you down to 5 dom because I've got a suspicion that Pegasus Riders are so resource heavy that you won't be able to recruit that many of them anyway.

What are some good pairings for a EA disciples game (2 per team)?

I did think about that but I thought I'd keep it simple to start with.

I think Wind Riders aren't really worth a double bless, a single is usually enough. I do, however, like awake mono-bless chassis, because Arco takes a little while to become strong, and as a mage nation you like having extra gold for setting up forts and labs early.
Here are two doublebless titans, they can put up more of a fight than a human chassis when they wake up.
Two awake mono-bless expanders: these guys will really help your early game by taking provinces themselves, and turning your wind riders into a real threat. You can easily kill a player with these.
Hound of Hades with E6D7 gets you Earth Blood Deep Well, giving you a Hidden in Sands factory, as well as Tarts. And nothing stops its expansion.
And finally, a scales+mono-bless pretender who can forge air hats and summon air queens.

Pegasus riders are resources heavy relative to Arco, but they only cost 27r. With Soth0 you can easily get more than 5. at Sloth 1, I would take Dom6 for 1 sacred mages and 5 sacred units. Of course, it depends on what your cap circle looks like.

I automatically think astral when thinking of arco, but I realized I have little to no use to high end astral beyond will of the fates & eyes of god

so yeah, i may do without and let the mystics take care of it.

huh, i didn't realize pretenders with a path already present had very little empowerment cost. I though the extra cost was for starting the new path only. thanks for the advice

given that i'm running a bless army, I have to stay away as far as possible from recourse consuming scales. the (useful) high end arco troops cost nearly 30 res each.

looks nice, but i don't know how much army supply & 2 astral can give compared to what cold climate takes

how's this one? gets weapons, items, etcs instead of being immobile, dominion strikes me as very low however.

>I think Wind Riders aren't really worth a double bless, a single is usually enough.
i'm a sucker for flyers, and pegasi are pretty strong ones at that. kit them with reinvigorate and good evasion buffs, and you have something that can go far

I considered that nature bless isn't worth the time, but pegasi would have somewhere around 25 hp, which maybe it can use regeneration for prolonged fights. Ultimately, the idea is to test what works and doesn't!

so yeah, i'll try 2 bless arco, summon arco and then expander, and see which i'm more comfortable with.

furthermore, are the arco horse archers useful? I have half a mind of having a chariot front line back by chariot archers

>I have to stay away as far as possible from recourse consuming scales
Cold/heat don't reduce resources, and growth will actually increase resources over time since it increases population.

>furthermore, are the arco horse archers useful?
They're useful, but not for the reason you're thinking of.

You want to use them as melee chariots, because they're actually tougher than the melee chariot.

As archers, they're terrible.

>pegasi are pretty strong ones at that
They're not actually very good.

If you want a nation with stronger flying sacreds, try Helheim and their valkyries.

I've only tried using chariot archers in a "win more" situation, where I had tons of gold but was running sloth 3. They are a little less tough, and only get a short bow in exchange. I think it would be more optimal to recruit the cheaper chariots and indie shortbow archers and just micro them into the same army.

The nature bless is well worth it for a few reasons. For one, your best mages are sacred - so if you move your pretender in on the same turn, they will be auto-blessed and you'll have a chance of surviving turn 1 earthquakes and such. You can also bless anything with a torso slot by making a shroud of the battle saint; that include tarts and golems, as well as banelords and troll kings, making them into SCs or thugs very reliably.

Even if you are running two blesses, I would recommend going sloth 1 and dom 7+. Trust me on this one, you will run out of holy points before resources, BUT ONLY IF YOU DON"T HAVE A SHITTY CAP CIRCLE. If your cap is surrounded by swamps, gg.

Water is the premier wind rider bless, if I were to try a double bless now, i'd probably try W9E9 to make them very hard to kill. Plus that adds quickness and reinvig to your thugs.

>because they're actually tougher than the melee chariot.
>They are a little less tough, and only get a short bow in exchange.

Lets see how this turns out.

Mictlan and Marverni
Sacreds, sacreds everywhere

>quadbless boars
The absolute madman.

Archer chariots get a secondshape, so they have to die twice compared to once for melee chariots.

10hp with 16 protection < 20hp with 13 protection.

Chassis?

I'd suggest doing W9N9 if possible, for a solid Golem endgame.

The W/B/N one

Lanka/Yomi is cute. Turmoil scales, probably a heavier bless than Yomi normally takes (W9E4? B9E4?). Not the best, but demons demons everywhere is fun.

I don't mean good as in "will carry you through the game by themselves" but good as in "greatly compliment your strategies"

i'll consider those nations. after arco i was thinking of going full birdshit with caelum

>if I were to try a double bless now, i'd probably try W9E9 to make them very hard to kill. Plus that adds quickness and reinvig to your thugs.
>Water is the premier wind rider bless, if I were to try a double bless now, i'd probably try W9E9 to make them very hard to kill. Plus that adds quickness and reinvig to your thugs.

mmm, i'll take it into account. I though of quickness and evasion as more deciding than defense, but I think my mages are capable of replacing that just fine

>Even if you are running two blesses, I would recommend going sloth 1 and dom 7+.

I've have had dom 6 and never quite got enough resources for them. but i'll take it into account.

>They're useful, but not for the reason you're thinking of.

archer chars get a second shape!?

Only been playing ~2 weeks now. Lanka was the first nation I rolled over everything (CPUs though). Tons of fun, but I want to try out new things too.

>archer chars get a second shape!?
Yep. Specifically, #dyingtmpshape, so they turn back after the battle if they don't die.

Hey just because I don't think this has been mentioned yet
The nation generator includes a program called spritegen.

github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases

It helps you make cool standing animations but it does NOT produce attack animations. By default in nationgen, an attack animation is just the stand animation shifted a few pixels to the left (or right, or whichever)...so you'd have to either do that, or make your own.

Or just not be lazy and edit existing ones/make-new-ones using pdn and whatnot

Otherwise what you got seems usable enough so far, if very generic-human.

here's the final draft for N-E ea bless army : wadda ya thing?

I do know about spritegen I was just find I spend ages looking through the options to get it just right and that takes too long. Now that I got the scrubs out of the way I can get started on the summons.

aw shit, wrong pic

I would do this: Wind Riders win wars, Mystics win games. Get as many as you can as early as you can.

I'm finally ready for an initial release.
Sorry for the huge teasing the last few months.
mediafire.com/?jv48wvnu4cm8auc

Before I really sink my teeth into this, who's it balanced against?

They have good ranged weapons and decent fighting skill but next to no armor. They're magic is only really good in cap.

Also this is their unique summon at level 7 construction, costing 50 earth gems.

Couple of mistakes I found
>native god, 1 points
>onihammer torpedo scales with strength

Their ranged units are quite expensive too. In most cases I think you'd be better off with indie archers/xbows.

q: who should lead my troops, and have the best attack items, the prophet or the thug?

Have you been able to open this with the inspector? Something's gone wrong with the loading every time but I can load it up in Dom4 just fine.

my statue pretender is awake now, what should I do with it? research and cast what rituals?

The inspector is wonky as fuck with mods

Tell me a good partner for MA TC and I'll maybe do it.

Summon pidgeons

Pangea. Take a W9 bless, assists

fuck's sake, assists all of TC's sacreds and makes Pangea's centaurs amazing

Pelagian Thread.

t. someone who read Amuys' guide

Come on, I want something innovative!

is there a torrent for 4.28

>80% of the players were ready after 24 hours of turn
>now we have to wait for lizards, greeks and someone else for 24 more hours

Literally every turn in Bob.

Then innovate. Go ulm and let TC profit off the increased resource the dominion provides

If you use the same sprite for a size 2 and a size 3 guy will the game automatically make the size 3 guy bigger?

Game: Lucky_Thirteen
Turn number 2
Next turn due: 11:58 GMT on Monday December 19th

Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Atlantis 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Unexpected Nation 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Mictlan 2h file received
Midgard 2h file received
>>R'lyeh Waiting for 2h file
Bogarus 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received
>>Utgard Waiting for 2h file

Does anyone have experience with the "War of the Nations" mod nations? I'm specifically looking to see if they're somewhat balanced against each other so I could maybe run a WW2 themed game in the future. It might even be the big Archaea game after AT closes if there's enough interest.

Could I borrow the sounds from this mod?

>playing dom4 with sounds

>he doesn't like 200 elephants screaming forever

dropbox.com/s/cfvsolcuxs9a61s/War of the Nations.rar

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?s=43bc402ca55ac2965f2636b3aa13d83e&showtopic=2517&st=0

You don't have to sign in to DL from dropbox, just click "nah fuck off" at the bottom

>take 2 capitals, literally unchallegended and heading for the third
>lose on the way because i forgot to build temples

ayy

fuck I misread you cause I'm an idiot and thought you were asking for a download?
I need to nap or something, christ.

anyways, no I don't have experience.

can someone recommend a good 8 player sized map for one of the noob games?

or just affirm/crush my belief that Peliwyr 1.3 has too much connectivity and no real speedbumps

pic related looks nice until you realize almost none of the mountains represent an impassible border in any way and there's lanes around ALL of the swamp, wastelands, forests and mountains

Sound design on this game really is shite. They could have just used some more generic thumping sounds for actions. Instead elephants and snakes are terrible.

I'm not the mod author but I'd suggest using a free sound effect instead of borrowing his.

It's all good.

Check out that author's other map, Snerdryn.

Game: Lucky_Thirteen
Turn number 2
Next turn due: 11:58 GMT on Monday December 19th

Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
Atlantis 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Unexpected Nation 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Mictlan 2h file received
Midgard 2h file received
R'lyeh Waiting for 2h file
Bogarus 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received
Utgard 2h file received

Hey Atlantis, R'lyeh always spawns in the main sea on this map.

Snerdryn seems to have the same issues at first glance (in-game) with its mountains
though the forest/swamp/wasteland locations are much better laid out

what was your multiplayer experience with it like?

>not 100 mindflayers attacking simultaniously

ayy

map?

Dawn of dominions

Are you playing the scenario?

Jack Chick will never die

I'm not the guy who posted the picture.

Babby's first mod error.
Any idea why this is happening?

Relevant code: pastebin.com/m1zjgUDk

give the nation #homerealm 10 and #addgod

Do pretenders need a point cost allocated? (I don't know, never modded them before)

I don't see that declared anywhere, maybe that could be why they're being treated as invalid.

You aint got no gods.

Is there anything he can't do, /domg/?

I can't believe how much Dom4 opresses athiests. This is bullshit.

Cast evocations.

It has gods:
#addgod 3001
#addgod 3000

Not die to bloodthirsty vans.

The gods must have #gcost, which decides how much design points they cost

Thanks.

How many levels of heretic do you need to give a pretender chassis to make it the equivalent of a heretic unit like a Bouda? 6?