East German Cars Thread

Discuss anything Trabant, Wartburg, Barkas or anything else made in the DDR related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OGE_OolAZhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=lfoVqFvRo3g&t=1m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=SpQxb4NHH4c
youtube.com/watch?v=k9p4B6s0j4U
totalcarmagazine.com/eastofeden/2013/09/18/the_story_behind_east_germany_s_iconic_trabant/
youtube.com/watch?v=f-vl3UufT5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ahh the cars I have a boner for and no logical explanation why

MAKE WAY YOU TRAITORS, I HAVE SOME HOUSES TO BREAK INTO

Skoda something something cabriolet a cute! I know it's a Skoda, I just can't remember the name.

One day I will own one.
One day.

Wartburg 311cabriolet might not be as qt but it still looks breddy nice.
A shame it's so damn rare.

I recall the Wartburg being bigger and less powerful. The Skoda just seems like a better itty bitty zippy cabrio.

Not DDR but still commie.
Our Britbong police had a few of there.
They were fucking bombproof.

Wouldn't be surprising, the 311 is fucking old and even when it was first built, its two-stroke engine was already weak

Lies! Two stroke strong! To this date vintage truck collectors swear on Detroit Diesel two strokes!

Are those "cooling holes" a meme? I don't know if the engine would overheat in a P50, but I see some folks (like picrelated) make holes in it for cooling.

Really ruins the aspect of the car.

I can see heat issues arising with engine tuning. They put a grille into the 601 for a reason, right?

The two-strokes was too pure for this world, the dirty decadant capitalists killed it.

I tought I'd move the engine in the rear of the car if heating would become an issue. Mostly because I wouldn't feel so bed about making a grill on the back (a-la Skoda 100) of it as I would feel when ruining the front.

>turning the P50 into a read-engined RWD drift monster
The car it should have been.

a stock trabant barely makes 70 mph
the well tuned with better carbs, exhaust etc would make about 130mph

shit's getting really scary, with those lego drum brakes

youtube.com/watch?v=OGE_OolAZhQ

bump

So Wartburgs were cars for some upper class in a system that was supposed to be equality for all™ and Trabants were for deplorable plebs?
lol

That's correct. Everyone is equal but some are more equal than others

funny how they still try to establish this after it failed so many times

Depends on the model, the later Wartburgs were more accessible.
You had to wait years for delivery after buying it tho.

You had to wait years for delivering regardless of car. Also for TVs and other "luxury" things.

Only way for you to get a car directly then was to get it second-hand and pay a lot more.
Everything else had a waiting list.

We still daily our trabi kek

D A I L Y - T R A B A N T - T H R E A D
We can do it. We can beat the Twingo.

Bullshit, you just had to know when and where they'd be available. And then one colleague would be sent off to buy curtains or bath towels for the entire group while the rest covered for him. Another thing that was useful to have connections for were building materials. Either leftover private stocks or stuff diverted from the workplace by construction workers.

maybe becouse they are shit just like you

>Bullshit, you just had to know when and where they'd be available.
Based on what you make those claims? My grandparents had to wait about 5 years to receive their TV after they signed up on the list.
They still have the TV thrown somewhere in the attic, they said they had to pay extra for one that had a remote controller.

nigga just import one. They aren't even expensive. Get one with TÜV and you'll be fine. The most expensive part will be the import.

IFA F9 >>>>>>>>>>>> beetle
Just prove me wrong.

Where you from? If you live in the former easter-bloc countries (minus USSR mostly because they had their own cars) it's quite a big chance they are avaible to purchase.

Otherwise you can import one from Germany or Hungary, there are plenty of them here. German ones are usually cheaper from what I saw.

we should make it more inclusive

~ D A I L Y - E A S T - B L O C - T H R E A D ~

OUT OF MY WAY

bmup

Y'all need some actually quality.

>tfw you will never own one

The 340 is much more common, but you'd still need to pay to import one.

They even made a station wagon.

not east german, but this bristol from 2009 shares the chassis with the good old 327

You can get a rust-free Trabant that recently passed the inspection for about 1500€ from east germany.
Spare parts and minor upgrades (like electronic ignition) are easily available and pretty cheap.

Earlier models from the 60s are more expensive, especially in original condition, which is very rare.

Be very aware of rust though, it's just the outer body panels that are made of duroplast

There is also the Trabant 1.1, with a re-engineered front end and a VW 4cyl engine. Makes for a better daily driver if that's what you're into.

btw the most equals were driving Volvos and Citroens, since german cars were obviously not an alternative

>not posting glorious IFA truck.

youtube.com/watch?v=lfoVqFvRo3g&t=1m30s
Convince me doing this is not a good idea.

I think you can find Trabbies in decent condition even under 1500 euros. I have seen a bunch on mobile.de

>not calling it /red/ - eastern bloc general
Not sure if it could withstand a daily basis though, but weekly sounds possible

it's a sad, sad feel comrad

more soviet cars

Would it include the glorious pre-1990's Dacia?

>Not sure if it could withstand a daily basis though, but weekly sounds possible
Hey, thread is a little slow, but it managed to survive almost a week.

I really want a chaika or a volga

>you will never drive a black Volga near a polish retirement home, honk and make all the resident lose their shit thinking the MBP is back
That said, the ZIM was pretty cool too.

UK.
I already own a Lada but I would like to expand my autistic little collection.
What price from Germany would I expect from one that body-wise (rust/rot) is solid but needs a little mechanical tinkering.Someone sold one 10 miles from me for 400 quid but that was a bit too fucked for my liking, it had half a tree growing from it.
I bet nothing would beat chugging around country lanes on a sunny day listening to 99 Luft baloons.

Dacias, despite being made in European Somalia where really really nicely built for what was coming out of other Eastern Bloc countries. Kinda weird considering everything we hear about Romania is less than positive.

youtube.com/watch?v=SpQxb4NHH4c

You could spent about 1000 eurobucks for one in a good healthy condition, but you can find good offers for about 700 euros aswell.

Could be an excuse for a holiday as well.
Thanks for the info.

Prices for a somewhat functionning one with nigh mileage can get as low as 400€ (lower than tha, expect the chassis to be dead, and get ready to put in another engine, which you can get for 100-200€). 1000-1500€ and you have something in okay shape. Once you reach 2000€, you have stuff that has been fully restored or maintained in good condition.
>I bet nothing would beat chugging around country lanes on a sunny day listening to 99 Luft baloons.
>having a stereo in your car
absolutely decadent

Ah yes I forgot, I will sing only state-approved music with the required state-approved emotion and at the state-approved decibel level.
What's the state of Wartburgs there?

>considering everything we hear about Romania is less than positive.

Romania had a good foundation in interwar period. They kept evolving from the shit it got after WWII in the communist era and now like most other second-world countries it's trying hardly to get back on it's feet post fall of the regime.

It's position is quite bad because Romania didn't stick with fellow post-eastern-blockers like Ukraine, Belarus or even former Yugoslav republics, nor did it take it's requirements to develop like maybe Poland or Czechia did.

311 are a bit more pricey, especially those that are rust-free.
353 are aplenty and fairly cheap since people like them less than Trabants. You can easily get one that can run for 1000€ or less. And if you are lucky, you could even grab a later one that has a VW engine instead of it's ancient two-strokes.
The 1.3 are clay unicorns, meaning it's not very common to find one, but it's not expensive either.
If you manage to find a Volkspolizei Wartburg though, you will probably strike fear onto any east-german over the age of 40.

The size of this type of cars always amused me.

>99 Luftballons
>West German

youtube.com/watch?v=k9p4B6s0j4U
Am pretty uncultured on east german music though, maybe some of you can share some.

totalcarmagazine.com/eastofeden/2013/09/18/the_story_behind_east_germany_s_iconic_trabant/

youtube.com/watch?v=f-vl3UufT5c