Buying Pre-Owned Luxury Vehicle?

Hey Veeky Forums, if I buy a pre-owned luxury car, do I end up looking like a poseur or a tryhard? Are used luxury cars even worth it if you consider repairs and maintenance?

I really want to drive a super-comfortable car that feels luxurious, unlike the Acura that I'm driving now. And I can find several that are at good prices, cheaper than a new fully-tricked out BMW or Mercedes.

I've also heard that Bentleys are just rebadged Volkswagens. Is that true for all models or just the cheaper ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-05/it-makes-more-sense-to-lease-a-rolls-royce-than-to-buy-one
cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2005-Bentley-Arnage-c1128
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you want a super comfy luxurious car you could get an old benz or e38. Good ones can be had for

>The Flying Spur is essentially a four-door version of the GT, with a stretched wheelbase and greater length for more spacious rear seating. It is also essentially a dressed up Audi A8, which is a long wheelbase Volkswagen Phaeton lying with $100 bills, making the Flying Spur a Phaeton lined with $1000 bills. The two models are similarly priced.

What do you think?

How old a Benz? I can see a lot of 1970 Rolls-Royces nearby.

What's you price range op?

$45k to $60k?

80s or early 90s
W126 s class or w124

i dont know what you consider "luxury"
but im pretty sure with that budget you'd be satisfied with some sort of lexus

>pre owned

CPO 5 series or e class wouldnt be a bad idea, not supreme luxury but damn comfy enough and you usually get some sort of warranty with those.

You can buy a new Jag XE or XF for that money. Or buy a ten year old Phaeton or S Class and even after putting aside $5k for repairs you'll be way ahead. The possibilities are virtually endless with that kind of budget.

But that doesn't have a Rolls-Royce or Bentley badge.

then buy a used chrysler 300 & put a bentley badge on it you welfare having, poverty-stricken nigger

Thanks, I'll take a look at these. I'm a little wary of buying anything over 15 years, but at a quick glance the e38 looked fancy.

I figured that with that budget I could take a look at some of the more prestigious marques.

I'm not a fan of Jaguar.

$45k-$60k will take you VERY far in the pre-owned luxury car market. To put it in perspective, pre-owned 2014~ 3 series are only around $20k these days. This is also ignoring the fact that pre-owned warranties tend to be a lot better than brand new/factory warnings

All in all, the current pre-owned market is totally a buyer's market and if you have the money to blow, you can't go wrong with something like a BMW or Benz as the dealerships are becoming increasingly cut throat

he asked for a luxurious car that feels nice to drive, not a badge.

Are Bentley's and Rolls not nice to drive?

but does that make them the only option?
was implying only rolls royce's and bentley's were nice to drive.

Mate you can get a newer S class, A8, Jaguar XJ, new Lincoln continental, new Volvo s90, maybe a used 2017 7 series if you wait a few months. Porsche panamera

Bentley's are extremely unreliable, that's why they are 35k. If you get one enjoy the 3k brake pads

Lease a new one, give it back after 4 years and repeat. This is what actual wealthy people do. They would never drop $60k on a 6+ year old luxury vehicle.

>affordable used luxury that won't break you on maintenance

L E X U S
X
U
S

Fuck.

Good job.

>Bentley's are extremely unreliable, that's why they are 35k. If you get one enjoy the 3k brake pads
That's a good point. You think Mercedes, BMWs, and other Deutschwagens are a bitch for maintenance? Wait till you see the repair bills for a Bentley, a Maserati, or an Aston Martin.

Do you have proof that Bentley's are unreliable or is it like the Jaguar meme?

Short answer is yes you're a poser.

Luxury cars are like cell phones to rich people. They get the latest and greatest, then get a new one every year or two. An exotic like a Bentley may keep you popular a little longer but it's going to be very expensive to keep the image. Just get something nice and appreciate what it has to offer instead of thinking about what poorfags think about you.

>poorfags

If all you care about is how nice it feels you might as well save yourself 50k dollars and get a used S class, it's extremely comfortable inside and it comes with expensive repairs just like the Bentley.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-05/it-makes-more-sense-to-lease-a-rolls-royce-than-to-buy-one

>Loses 30% of it's value in 2 years
Who the fuck would buy one of these unless they were going to keep it for 50 years?

So get a Lexus?

If OP has $60k to spend on a car he is rich.

Other germans cars arent super reliable, just get a CPO warranty from a certified dealer.

New Jaguars being unreliable is just a meme. Bentley brake pads can literally cost thousands

Bernie plz

If you don't want a VW based Bentley why not get a mid 2000's Arnage?

cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2005-Bentley-Arnage-c1128

You can get a Maserati Quattroporte mark 5 for that price, even 6 if you are lucky.
Maintenance might be tough though.

You could actually get a brand new Lexus for that and be treated like a king every time you go in for maintenance

Get yourself an RC 350

Funnily enough I live within 25 miles of that dealer. It's tempting.

So Bentley's are rebadged VWs?

Do it bro. Just find yourself an independent Bentley mechanic so the dealer won't rape you and you'll have a luxury sedan that tops even a 2017 S Class. Above all post pics so us poorfags can drool.

The Continental coupe and Flying Spur sedan are based on the Phaeton platform and use VW V8 and W12 engines. The Mulsanne isn't based on a VW platform as far as I know and uses the venerable Rolls/Bentley 6.75L V8. This car is the replacement for the Arnage which also was not based on a VW.

The practice, known -- with a touch of irony -- as “badge engineering,” enables car companies to source models from competitors, thereby rounding out their product lines without investing in the massive tooling needed to make each model in-house. It is quite different from the better known phenomenon of "platform sharing," which signifies merely that different car models share a basic skeleton. Rebadged cars are identical in all respects, except perhaps for some tiny cosmetic distinctions such as the placing of the headlamps or the shape of the trunk. They not only come from the same factories but are in many cases made by the same workers on the same production lines.

Well stated. There is really nothing wrong with the Phaeton platform or engines but if the OP is a purist then I can understand him wanting an in-house Bentley. Or just save $40k and get a mid 2000's Phaeton. It's a wonderful, well styled, and very luxurious car and just as exclusive, if not more, than a Flying Spur.

Wait, I thought the Phaeton was in-house and the Flying Spur Continental was the shared platform?

>VW Phaeton

If you thought the fucking Golf was a nightmare to maintain and service, imagine having a British-engineered luxobarge with German electronics that was so unsuccessful it is now more rare than the 200k car it was based on.

My god you badgewhore faggot.

If you were smart, you would just get the best Lexus LS example you can get for your money. With $60k you can get pretty much any 2014 LS or older.

Veeky Forums's opinion on 2005-2011 lincoln town cars?

I meant in-house Bentley as in not based on a VW platform. That would be the Arnage and Mulsanne.

If you are buying Bentley with over 100k miles, yeah you are poser,but I'd rather drive couple of years old 's class/7 series with 30k miles than brand new Kia, Hyundai or whatever.

The Arnage and Mulsanne are decades out of date. Their engineering was out of date when they were new! The VW platform Bentleys are far more modern cars.

>Implying the average Bentley buyer is interested in the latest technology.

Bentley's and Rolls-Royces are more about old world luxury and opulence rather than the newest electronic gadgets. Otherwise, like I stated there is nothing wrong with the VW platform and engines and the only reason I brought it up was because the OP expressed concern about some Bentley models being based on VW architecture.

But a fucking Lexus isn't a luxury car. It's just a premium vehicle.

>stereo upgrade option costs more than a Civic
>not luxury

Sure it's a fancy Toyota but it's still luxury. Not quite in the same category as Benz or BMW but still luxury.

>lexus
"i can't afford real luxury" Lexus vehicles are the defintion of poser cars.If you want to look like a complete poser get a lexus, hence why Veeky Forums loves lexus's.

this

Didn't Top Gear prove all of these cars are covered in dry semen?

What's the appeal of owning a car that is not only worthless, that not only screams "I'm poor" to every m/o/ron, but is also slathered in fecal flecks and feces?

>I don't want to look like a poser with a newer Lexus
So you're gonna buy an older German Bentley?

Shit doesn't add up.

Literally everyone on Veeky Forums is a poser unless I start seeing some 2013+ supercars with bread on hoods and timestamps.

There's nothing wrong with a German Bentley.

What, you mean used luxe cars from Carmax?

My uncle had a Bentley continental twin turbo and the gaskets were leaking after 16000kms. car was out of warranty cost him $10000 to replace gasket

No, Lexus are luxury cars for smart people who don't have shit to prove to their neighbor JimBob.

Lexus is less sexy than BMW, MB. We know that. It's less sexy because it's more sedate, more of a "boring" car, but arguably more luxurious, smooth ride, comfortable, etc. etc.

Reliability is luxury. Having to be a slave to your expensive car's mechanical failures isn't living the luxury lifestyle.

Mullaly the Ford CEO himself drove a Lexus LS and was quoted as saying they are the finest vehicles in the world, had a new LS on order at that time. Ford made him cancel the order.

t. could buy many other cars including your beloved German BMW MB (do you even own one? a 15 year-old recycled shitbox doesn't count), but buy exclusively Lexus and have been for 10+ years because I want something that runs after 60,000 miles. It won't impress your buddies but it's the smart choice.

#1 brands driven by doctors: Toyota Lexus Honda

Just buy an 06 continental gt for around 60k. Buy an aftermarket warranty. We all know what you wanna do, get a used ultra luxury and look like a plutocrat for bottom dollar. Either do that or get a used mid-late 2000s aston.

If he has $60k cash to spend on a car, then that would qualify him as rich. Unless he lives in NYC.

Only bother if it's something like pic related.