What do you consider "high" mileage?

What do you consider "high" mileage?
I've been butting heads with my old man, he says anything more than 30k miles is too much, I say 60k is reasonable.
I'm looking to snag a 2009 GTI with around 55k miles and he keeps telling me it's going to break down in like a week. What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=442133948&endYear=2017&pageLayout=list&sortBy=bestmatcha&startYear=1981&listingTypes=certified&offset=30&mmt=[FORD[FOCUS[FOCUS|ST]FIESTA[FIESTA|ST]][]]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What do you consider "high" mileage?
250k+

200k+

depends entirely on the car though. But 200 - 250 is normal for most

Mileage is less important than how it was maintained. Gtis are shit.

american/european - 100k
japanese - 300k

anything over 150 for most older cars

Yeah that's another thing I feel like he isn't taking into account. My first car was a kia rio and that sumbitch had 30k when I bought it but it was owned by some filipino lady who let it rot so it gave me a lot of problems
>GTI a shit
I'm a 21 year old boyracer it speaks to me

For a gas engine, I wouldn't touch anything over 60k miles. Especially so if i was buying second hand.

Really? Why?

The aging process in cars seems to happen in eerily similar intervals. I think the first aging cycle takes place at the 30,000 mark, then the 50,000 mark and then the 80,000 mark. Anything after this, there is noticeable differences to the interior and it has almost completely lost the new car smell. I wouldn't buy anything with more than 80k

So basically the car I'm looking at is almost virgin tier?
Like the girl who has only given a couple handys before but nothing else?

After maintenance history, miles/year is more important.

Something with 10,000 miles/year seems normal. Something like >15,000 miles/year seems pounded on to me. Less than

i consider high miles north of 500,000. but ford f-250/350 will do that on its head.

>2009 GTI
It's gonna break down in like a week, but that's because it's a Volkswagen out of warranty, not because 55,000 miles is too many miles for a regular car.

The only thing I've ever owned with less than 100,000 miles are classic trucks.

Volkswagens are the only normal person cars I don't suggest people buy out of warranty.

Get a Focus or a Civic.

What about Mazda 3?
Or even the speed 3?

Are vws notoriously unreliable or something?

The miles dont tell you much.

Like my company car, I rack up almost 20k miles a year driving back and forth to greenville from Atlanta.

Those 20k are mostly cruising in high gear on the highway doing litle wear to the car compared to 10k miles of stop and go city miles.

They aren't terrible if you stick to their maintenance schedule, but their maintenance schedule is more intensive and more expensive than normal, so most people don't, and the cost of repairs is also higher than normal for a pleb-mobile.

Yes, I had two friends with GTI first is on his 3rd turbo, and one fuel pump failure.

My other friend sold hers after her oil pumped failed.

Mazdas are good, too, I guess, but I seem to never remember them.

The Speed3 is notorious for having a motor that ruins it's handling, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Don't get me wrong, GTIs are very well balanced and executed cars, very competitive if buying new.

But I'll never own one out of warranty.

Well shit. I can probably stick to the schedule but if something does break it could fuck me, I don't make much. Still in college.
What is an alternative I can explore? I'm looking for sporty hatches under $14k

>Greenville to Atlanta
85 blows
Wish those damn truckers would stop trying to pass each other at 0.001mph difference

Saab 9-2x aero Aka a WRX with an STI steering rack.

Noone in Atlanta or Georgia understand keep right except to pass, It makes me miss when they use to send me down to Boca, The Florida turn pike is so much better.

The fact that you don't think it's a good idea to buy it out of warranty is making me feel like I am seriously underestimating how much the car is going to fuck me after I get it.

Thanks man, I'll look into it.
Would it be worth it to look for some base model impreza wagons as well?

If you dont like fun, the WRX is the lowest you can go before it becomes just a shit box

>he says anything more than 30k miles is too much
I'm assuming that miles, which is just under 50,000km. That's absolutely fucking nothing. Does your dad get a new car every other year or something?
My Commodore has done 300,000km and it has never skipped a beat.

Tell your dad he is a fucking wanker.

100000 miles

WRX is so overpriced especially around where I live since it's near the beach.
I was looking at them but I have to dig pretty deep to get a decent one.

>does your dad get a new car every other year
No actually. He had a saturn ion for almost 12 years, it had like 120k miles on it. Then he found some prius with 15k on it and he's convinced it's the best thing in the world.

62k miles

It depends on how old the car is, but honestly mileage really isn't a great indicator of quality IMO. I've seen cars (usually German lux) get so fucked at 70k that no one wants to pay the bills. You could get a low-mile car owned by some rich dipshit teenager who spliced stereo wires all over and hacked shit up.

I got my NA MX5 in 2008 with I think 175k miles and I have beat the living FUCK out of it for 50k miles since (including 20+ hours of WOT/redline track time, I redline every time I drive, do donuts, etc) and it drives better today than when I got it (I've spent less than $150 total in repairs in 8 years - more on maintenance but that's better than it breaking down). Driving a car and really looking over shit and feeling for weird vibrations or inconsistencies will tell you more than mileage usually. And personally, I'd rather buy a car from a boomer lady who changed her oil every 7k than a bro in his 20s who used Royal Purple every 3k - buying from someone who respects vehicles and doesn't treat them as disposable is key.

Also, if it's from, like, Detroit... It'll be fucked sooner than something from, say, Mississippi where cars *do not rust*.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a car I really wanted if it had 350k on it if it was in good enough condition that I could have some fun restoring it cheaply enough.

I have 2 engineering (well, one eng., one science) degrees and could afford whatever but will likely never buy a car with fewer than 125k on the odo because if you know anything about cars you can make them last a long time on small amounts of repair / maint. money. If you look at your car and don't know what literally every single part is and does then you may likely have an attitude that "cars go bad quickly."

>What do you consider "high" mileage?
Depends on the car.

>old BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Toyota, Honda
200k and up

>old audi, VW, Nissan, Mitsubishi, American car
80k and up

>old French, Italian, British car
50k and up

CPO FiST

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=442133948&endYear=2017&pageLayout=list&sortBy=bestmatcha&startYear=1981&listingTypes=certified&offset=30&mmt=[FORD[FOCUS[FOCUS|ST]FIESTA[FIESTA|ST]][]]

Pretty much. Maybe 80k would be like having given a blowjob before.

That's why he said the Saab. Not all the Subaru bros know about the Saabaru.

>Not all the Subaru bros know about the Saabaru.
It's an uncommon car and enough people know about it that there is indeed a ricetax on it.

this. the lowest mileage car i've ever bought was 120k miles

OPs pops reminds me of my wifes family, they all believe that at 100k miles a car instantly turns into a shit heap that is somehow more costly to maintain than dropping $30k on a new car. they all spend over $300 a month on car payments and $700 on registration and thin I'm a fool because I bought a '94 civic vx for $2800 that gets 45mpg, costs $50 to register, and costs me $35/mo to insure. some people just dont fucking get it.

Hey that's a good fuckin find there man. Kinda far but I can probably make a trip up there this weekend.

>I've seen cars (usually German lux) get so fucked at 70k that no one wants to pay the bills

>4 year old AMG CLK55
>66,000 miles
>$106,000 sticker price when new
>$24,000
It had missed it's 100,000 km service.

Asked the guy at the dealer how much the service was.

>$27,500

Get a newer Mazda3 hatch with the 2.5L. Good balance of economy, fun and reliability. More commonly manual too.

>American car
>80k and up
Maybe an FCA, but Ford and GM don't belong here.

Name something decent that ford or GM made which is on the used market and isn't a truck

The Focus and Cruze have above average reliability, Buick cracked the top 10 for brand reliability recently, and the Impala is fantastic.

Both the Camaro and Mustang are great for sports cars as well.

Won't defend the Spark, Malibu, Taurus, or Fusion.

>The Focus and Cruze have above average reliability, Buick cracked the top 10 for brand reliability recently, and the Impala is fantastic.
>Both the Camaro and Mustang are great for sports cars as well.
>Won't defend the Spark, Malibu, Taurus, or Fusion.
So you're telling me that you're basically illiterate then, because nothing you just mentioned fits my original comment
>>old audi, VW, Nissan, Mitsubishi, American car
>old

Just bought a mk7 2.0tdi gt, 42k and drives like new. I'd say for a diesel its only just getting worn in at 30/40k miles.

>britfag

>old nissan
>high mileage at 80k

nigger, old nissans aren't high mileage until 200k or more

Wut? No, you.

The W body Impala is the one that wrote it's reputation for reliability. I've owned 3 W-bodies with more than 200,000 on them, and they all were more reliable and cheaper to maintain than my 120,000 mile E36.

You realize that the cars I've mentioned have all been out long enough to have 200,000 miles not be uncommon in the used market, right? It isn't 2014 anymore.

Old nissans are pieces of shit. they're the Japanese Chrysler.

You just don't understand what "old" means I guess
Must be a teenager or some shit

I've got 4 cars right now, an 84, an 85, an 86, and an 06. I'm an 87 model myself.

I've also owned an 89, 95, 98, and 03.

Old is >10 years for any usable definition.

Shit, you can put collector plates on a 96 now.

>I've been butting heads with my old man, he says anything more than 30k miles is too much
At first I was going to rage but then I realized we need retards like this to flood the used market with cheap like-new cars.

Anyway, for me a car under 100k is still new. High mileage for a 4 cyl is over 150k, for a V8 over 200k. But mileage isn't nearly as important as maintenance, I might still buy a 'high mileage' car.

Panther platform. Will still be running with nothing but oil changes long after your shitvic shits the bed

No way.

No wonder German cars blow up so much... you have to sell your kidney to maintain them.

You can find a 2006 9-2x aero for 5k

a 2006 WRX is still around 10k

Really depends on how well it was maintained, but generally 150k+ is where major problems are going to start happening. Your dads a cunt that probably always buys new because its "safer"

Depends on the car and how old it is really. A generic guideline is anything over 150,000 is high mileage though.

ausfags consider high milage from anywhere between 150k-200k km

I personally consider 300k km high milage but it all depends on how the cars where treated.

ive had two 150k km cars been buckets of shit yet several 200-300k+ cars absolutely fine

Don't care about millage as long as the car was looked after and was well maintained.
Some of the best cars I had were bought with with more than 120k

get an ep3 for around 4k cash.