Oil change worth it?

Does anyone actually change their own oil anymore? It's the ultimate waste of time and makes my driveway smelly and gross. I also inevitably ruin whatever shirt I'm wearing and my hands end up stinking like oil for the rest of the day. All to save like 15 bucks.

Also risking crushing my head under my car.

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.com/p/Chomp-32-oz-Concrete-Stain-Remover-53019/203082110
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes changing your oil is a meme, you have been redpelled

YES GO TO YOUR LOCAL GARAGE, PAY THEM AS MUCH AS THEY ASK YOU.

I do it because I'm a mechanic and I do shit like that all day so it's like 5 min for me. and have a place to dispose of it

i've tried to argue this a bunch of times.

i own a 2012 civic lx, there is no point in me changing my own oil. if i have service records of synthetic oil for the life of the car, it increases the resale value, so i do. plus it's so nice to drop it off, wait an hour, and then pick it up with fresh oil and no extra labor on my part

now, if i had something custom-built, i'd change the oil myself.

Nope. It's not worth it. The only thing you should do is change the oil out for antifreeze during the winter so your engine won't stall due to cold.

Pics of tits plz.

I used to occasionally get my oil changed at places, mostly because of time

when I was able to change my oil and realized they put the wrong filter on that was half the size and I had to use a breaker bar to remove the bolt...fuck that, I'll make the time now

fuckin' REKT!

How is it not worth it.. It takes 5 minutes of actual work including jacking the car up.
Driving to the shithole to get your oil changed takes longer than that.

Anyone who doesn't change their own oil because it's "not worth it" probably doesn't even own a jack.

Did it for my E46 since it was fucking $100 - $110 to get it done anywhere (hurr synthetic, hurr it's a furrunn impurrrt).

Now I just got a Mustang that uses synthetic as well...I usually use ramps but I may buy one of those pneumatic pumps and do it that way.

>yfw own a 2015 civic lx
>been servicing it myself since day fucking one
Feels good to not be a Bitch.
Going to change my MTF soon. Approaching 60k miles

a civic is like the easiet car to change the oil on; you could be done in 15 minutes.

but instead you wait an hour for someone else to do it?

I hate doing it OP.

>Spend 20 minutes changing oil
>Spend a hour cleaning off the mess it made on your concrete driveway because you put the catch pan a few inches away from the initial oil stream that jetted out as soon as you took the drainplug off and the droplets from wind spreading it around

t. fumbling sitcom dipshit

It's worth it just based on the small number of people who've taken their car into a jiffy lube, or even a dealership, and some dumbfuck forgets to add oil back in

time stamp your jack stands
time stamp your jack stands

As said, I do it myself because there are too many stories of quick lubes charging for the service and not actually performing it, whether it's not even touching the car or not replacing the filter or draining the oil and forgetting to refill it.

The only time I ever took my car to a Jiffy Lube, they charged me $50 for something that would have cost me $20, and it took two guys with a flashlight 15 minutes to find the filter. This was after I all but drew them an actual physical map describing where it was. (Buick V6 in a Pontiac Trans Sport, the filter is on the "back" of the engine, facing the firewall.)

I felt that it was worth the money spent, since I pissed myself laughing at them from the waiting area.

>yesterday
>changing oil on new to me truck in back road behind my house (garage full of junk in boxes about to move and 3 cars in driveway)
>seafoam car too
>drain oil
>replace drain plug remove filter which is kind of difficult because of aftermarket headers and suspension angle
>NEW FILTER WILL NOT GO ON
>wrestle with it for 30 plus minutes
>can't do from top
>can't do from bottom
>use two hands from under truck through control arms while buddy guides from between headers up top
>all covered in soot and shit
>Millenial chick jogger stops and snaps a picture of us
>cops show up five minuyes later and say I'm breaking environmental codes, city ordinances, can be fined, ticketed and car impounded
>"aw shucks I'm sorry ma'am I'm just some stupid country bumpkin marine I didn't know"
>wearing green tee shirt with fade haircut
>I'm actually born and raised literally right there in SoCal
>every other word is ma'am
>gives me a warning and tells me to pack up and go
>finish oil change start truck and drive off
>sea foam smoking the fuck out of my exhaust
>don't care go straight home (around the corner) park in front of house as some guy leaves and run inside lock the door
>cop does not pursue
>probably not gonna risk doing any car shit on back road anymore
>can't even be mad at jogger chick for snitching on me really

At the end of the day though I used 6 quarts of the oil I wanted and the filter I wanted and paid less while making sure it got done right but I did have to take a long shower after when I could've just chilled whIle some pleb does it and almost got in legal trouble so it's your call OP

>>NEW FILTER WILL NOT GO ON
how do you think the moron with little to no training is going to handle that for your $20?

>seafoam
stopped reading

Simple yes sirs and no ma'ams have gotten me out of a lot of shit.

>snitching on someone for changing their oil
Wow that's pretty low. What a bitch

>thinking they actually put synthetic in it

>drop off car
>walk down and grab sandwich
>walk back
>give $50, take a short walk-around to see what needs to be fixed
>drive car away
>fix other stuff (shocks, filters, etc) myself

oil changes aren't worth it

take a picture of your jack stands and tools

Well apparently I'm retarded because afterwards I read some forums and jacking up the front right side moves the axle to an angle where you can get to the filter. I didn't lift it because it's a bronco and I can just slide under it no problem.

But dude it's on sale at autozone and it cleans your injectors and combustion chambers restoring performance and fuel efficiency as well as lifting your truck 3 inches and installing pneumatic locking diffs!

I have been pulled over a ton and never gotten a ticket by using the yes sir no sir routine.

>drive car on ramps
>undo drain plug
>go inside have some coffee or a sandwich
>put drain plug in, replace filter
>refill oil
>never have to leave the comfort of your driveway

Dealer will do the first two oil changes for free.

I'm a lease cuck so basically free oil changes for as long as I continue to lease new cars. Of course I'm not gone a do it myself. Would probably fuck something up. I went to college to avoid manual labor. Plus I am keeping a high school dropout who went and got his GED employed.

numale cuck. please don't reproduce.

It's a pretty nice suburb I'm orange county man and I'm a fuckin beaner. It didn't help that it was some (((white chick))) wearing full makeup and probably 300 dollars of athletic clothes and shoes plus pink beats by Dre to jog along a back road.

I've literally never had someone do my oil change for me. It takes like 10 minutes for fucks sake, and you should have some work clothes anyways.

should've lived up to your heritage and fucked her right in the pussy.

You are what is wrong with modern society

>own a shitbox
>do own oil changes ever 4-5000 miles
>put down a sheet of cardboard to catch anything that falls
>$25 for 4qts synthetic and a filter
>mechanic buddy takes the oil to dispose of it at their shop.
>hour job with 50 minutes of waiting for the last of the old oil to drip out.

It is not hard.

>Of course I'm not gone a do it myself.I went to college

Reminder that not a single person saying it's not worth it has ever posted a time stamp of their jack and stands in any of these threads.

>wageslave working classers think their opinions are relevant

Changing oil will become irrelevant when every car is a Tesla.

Europe is dark/asleep and it's dark in the us too. Besides, ramps>jack and stands for oil changes.

>entire post is irrelevant
ok

I would, but why does the car have to be lifted in order to do it? So bow I have to buy a jack and ramps and shit to perform this so-called "basic" task.

Seems prohibitive by proprietary design.

Besides the point, but today I saw a couple of snooty looking white bitches loading up a Tesla with their kids...two of which went in the trunk

Fucking America

>he's never made faces at people in the back of a wagon or SUV with jump seats.

shit was proper kek

You have to buy tools too

Good thing there's always someone to take your money

The Tesla has jump seats??

I just thought I just saw a stupid bitch stick her kids in the trunk, but I guess they're bringing back old technology too

yeah it has two little jump seats. shit is neat

have a pic of my project car's subframe and control arms

oil changes are a big pain in the ass because of the mess that inevitably happens

i would love doing them if i had a nice smooth epoxied/tiled garage floor that i could clean up in 5 minutes

but i don't so i have to spend time/money cleaning up the oil stains using this. might experiment with tide powder as a paste instead because 32oz isn't a lot

homedepot.com/p/Chomp-32-oz-Concrete-Stain-Remover-53019/203082110

>it took two guys with a flashlight 15 minutes to find the filter.

You're lucky they didn't just say "fuck it" and not bother to change the filter.

> Jump seats in the trunk
WTF I love Tesla now

Use cat litter. Spread it on any oil spill, leave it for 10 minutes or so, sprinkle a bit more on if necessary and sweep it up. Works like magic!

ausfag here costs like $25 for a decent quality oil or less.

Facken OP is a retarded cunt

t. wanka

that and local mechanics charge $100-200 dollarydoos because they're cunts

>Wow that's pretty low. What a bitch
No, because a lot of people deliberately do NOT change oil in their own property. They make a mess elsewhere and don't clean it up. They then toss the filter and milk container jug into the alley trashcan.

That is the pattern. So it's no wonder the jogger snitched. She probably thought it was just another one of those situations.

My old family home had a nice alleyway. And we had a large gate and paved area outside our fence too. Then people started parking their cars there and changing their oil leaving a mess for us to clean up. Of course they do it when we are not watching. So people do dump their mess into other peoples' hands. And I bet they didn't dispose their used oil properly. They prolly threw it into the trash containers in the alley. Someone else's of course so that they get the fine if the trashman is alert enough to catch it.

The rear-facing third seat is boss as heck. My kids love it. It's why I own a wagon.

The wagon in question

I also drive a 12 civic but i service it myself. I work on my car out of the sheer pleasure of doing things myself and learning as i do them.

fuck you cunt its facken 50 ausdegrees outside which is like facken 500 degrees yankfaggotite because of facken UV

seat for 2 kids or 1 murrican.

i am happy for you and i encourage you in all of your future wrenching

but i've worked on all of my other cars and it gets old when you've been doing it for over a decade

but learning how a car works and operates is one of the best things you can do nowadays. it saves you so much money and stress

Yeah, it's really only suitable for small children. I've ridden in the back of my own car and it wasn't terribly comfortable.

I uses to take my old car to a shop but after trying to do the oil change myself i realized that my filter was being torqued by satan himself.

This looks unsafe as fuck in a rear-end collision.

Yea that's why I said I can't really be mad at her, although I always dispose of my shit properly since it's 100 ft from my house but your right she probably thought I was some shade tree mechanic beaner fixing up some esé's truck back there to leave a huge oil puddle and a jug and filter on the ground

dope car user

jesus they look like fucking goblins

I change my own, because of a few reasons.

First is I like doing shit myself.

I like the peace of mind knowing it was done exactly right.

It's a great opportunity to be underneath my vehicle for a while, check out everything, underisde of motor for any new or worse leaks, check out bushings and ball joints, rust, etc.

I also use a mix of oils, I run a quart of diesel oil with 3 3/4 standard oil, 1/4 quart of ATF, with a zinc additive because old smallblock with a flat tappet.

I'd put those ugly fucks in the back too, when you "accidentally" get rear ended you're ahead 3 points in life, 2 less rotted sperm spawns and 1 less overpriced RC car

Local shop by me charges 30$ for oil changes and it's the same fuckin oil I bought when i was doing it myself. Have fun "wrenching" your shitboxes all under the guise that you're actually proud of your 82 iroc z with redneck cum on the seat headrest from 3 owners ago

I took my car to a vavoline because I had a coupon for an oil change. My car wasn't "in their system", it's a 1995 Impala. I just went and got oil and a filter at Advance Auto Parts for 18 dollars and did it myself in 15 minutes.

>I went to college to avoid manual labor

I have a master's degree from Stanford and I change my own oil. Please don't conflate not HAVING to do it yourself with not WANTING to do it yourself. For some of us, it's a nice way to zen out.

No you don't

I would hate to be driving behind a car with their kids in the back just staring at me the entire time.

Its a frozen hellscape outside and I don't have a garage so no I typically don't

The crushing your head bit is the only part of your argument that makes sense. If you're accident prone, don't change your own oil. Instead put on your big girl dress and drive down to the nearest McLube and have them do it.

If you're naturally good with tools and following a procedure, and you have jack stands, then changing your oil saves you more than $15. It provides peace of mind that the oil in your engine is exactly the one you want. If you're changing out synthetic oil then you're saving more like $50.

I do, but I use my vehicle to tow frequently, and wind up changing it quite often. It's cheaper to buy the oil I use (Full synthetic DEXOS Bullshit.) in bulk than to take it to get changed every 2K miles.

Stanford 09 here and I also change my oil. Not sure if you're lying but I do it for the same reasons. It's not remotely difficult and the busywork can be relaxing, plus I'm averse to feeling helpless at the hands of the kind of people who work at JiffyLube.

>worrying about the resale value of a car that is going to depreciate no matter what

are you fucking stupid

DIY saves me time and money. It's a half hour of mostly waiting, and I only pay $25 for the jug of mobil 1.

Did you just let the oil drain onto the ground or something?

TERRIBLE BAIT

How is that bait? He's right. Until every car is a Tesla, oil changes will remain relevant.

Have you seen what happens to a car when a truck hits it from behind? Your kids teeth will be replaced by the rear hatch.

Nope I have a pretty big oil pan and a cookie tray

In spain I'm sure they'll change your oil for shitty no name oil or Eni.
So since I can do it myself in 15 min and never overtorque my drain plug I do it myself.

So, same thing as when you hit a truck from behind? except dashboard.

While we're on topic,
Synthetic on an 25 year old PSA engine that takes 15w50 or 15w40 total quartz??
I've heard synthetic is too thin for an old engine or is that just the first synthetics years ago?

>I also inevitably ruin whatever shirt I'm wearing and my hands end up stinking like oil
Really? I tried it for the first time the other day and didn't get the oil on anything.

High milege synthetic is what you probably want. Be aware of several things. 1 changing to synthetic can cause leaks as it will help clean out your oil system and might be thinner. 2. When you switch you need to use the dino oil interval for about 2 more changes to make sure all the gunk is out before going to a longer synthetic interval. 3. Check on forums to make sure your car is compatible with synthetic oil. Some older cars have seals made of rubber that does not work well with synthetic. 25 years old means you are probably fine. 50 or more is something you want to chexk for sure.

Also isnt a bad idea to use an oil additive meant to restore compression if your car is that old. I perosnally use the 4 cylinder restore for all my 4 cylinder cars. I've actually noticed a difference in my oldest car since i started using it coupled with high milege synthetic

I cant change my oil the same reason i cant plumb

I get dizzy quickly when im working lying down like that. Something about an imbalance in my ears.

I got about this far into the procedure and realized changing the oil isn't worth it

IMO its wasteful to change the oil more than once a year unless you are really putting over 12k miles a year then maybe twice a year at most

full synthetics are really really good now

that being said i have to buy a HIGHLY specific oil for my own car just due to it being modified and only driven in the summer or when its warm

Quality filter access right there.

>the kind of people who work at JiffyLube

When I take my trucks in, all I hear from them is mumbling and whining about having to unbolt all the skid plates to access drain/fill plugs.

When I took my Porsche in, they just stood there looking like idiots trying to figure out where to put the new oil. Until I pointed out that 'OIL' in German is 'OEL'. So open the fucking OEL cap right in front of your fucking nose.

But now JiffyLube and the others don't do Porsches, so I might as well just do everything. None of the trucks need jackstands or ramps, so they are pretty simple (skit plates aside).

You have a blown headgasket

>taking any car to jiffylube
>taking a Porschuh to jiffylube

Oh? How do you figure?

I change my trans am, bikes, and boats oil just because the trans am I simply don't want anyone else to touch. The bikes and boat just because they actually are way more pricey to have a shop do.
My truck and beater talon though I just take to a valvoline quick lube here. Costs me $16 or so for generic oil and filter from Wal-Mart. $20-25 if using name brand like valvoline/castrol. Quick lube place here is $23 for a conventional oil change. Easily worth to not bother on my two beaters.

>oil goes out
>oil goes in
You can't explain that

Probably because your valve cover is fucking filthy.