blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=spatial hashing vs quadtree&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
conkerjo.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/spatial-hashing-implementation-for-fast-2d-collisions/
youtu.be/z4hf3rLPpGM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Would you even buy a game made in GameMaker?

weather forecast
cave story
hotline bling
spelunker
super dark floater

Plenty of people do, so, what does it matter what grumpy gamedevs think?

Shit like Risk of Rain and Hotline Miami sold really well.

>super dark floater
so, "Shit in a Toilet Bowl Simulator"?

Spelunker was free, though.

Also: lol

Reposting progress from the end of last thread.

Still thinking about how to do targeting in a more permanent way versus the very placeholder system I have now. The most obvious way would be a configurable Targetable component that I can just stick on anything that needs to be targeted, along with whatever properties of that target are important. There's also the ultra-barebones radar component that I want to tie in with.

I think I just need to sleep on it. I'll probably have some more concrete ideas tomorrow. I'm still not sure how in depth I want to go with targeting and being able to target things.

Added the upwards attack for the fire mode.

This attack does not have as long of a reach compared to the basic attack, but it covers both sides. It does 3 hits that launch the enemy upwards. The first hit has the most launching power, while subsequent hits have slightly less launching power. While used in the air, it acts like another jump. You can use it as long as you have the MP for it.

>cave story
Cave story was done in C++, though. Or was this just a failed attempt to give a meme name to undertale?
Also, what the fuck is super dark floater?

So...where do I start for 2d collision detection? I'm guess that looping through all solid objects to check for intersections with any other solid object is definitely out of the question.

Think about it if checking every object against every other object regardless of their distance from each other is bad idea, then how can you make it better?

That looks neat.
I wonder if you will reach a point you could even release this game with these placeholders.

>super dark floater
What did he mean by this?

last night i your sister

Ok.

>super dark james bond burger floater
It keeps getting worse.

What's a good way to do particle attack animations in Unity? Particle systems seem fucked, and I'm wondering if linerenderer might be better.

Fuckin finally, you did it m8 it actually looks correct now. Dig your art style

...Separate out the map into big rectangles and only check for collisions between items inside those rectangles..?

IDGI, how did the car go through her

Anyone here good with GameMaker? I have a state machine and I'm trying to implement a landing animation, but I'm not sure how to go about scripting "upon switching from midair to ground, play the landing animation sprites BEFORE going to the default standing sprite".

>Would you even buy a game made in GameMaker?

If the engine alone is a dealbreaker you're clearly a salty nodev who is upset someone less skilled but more motivated managed to make something with a pricetag.

I found a thread on the GM forum. I think I'll just make another state for landing.

Today I've written 400+ new lines of code, and rearranged / rewritten 150 more.

>Created a parallel world for my particle system
>Made particles from one world delete upon contact, and new particles spawn in the parallel world in their place
>Make particles colour change and blend when next to different coloured particles
>Made a simple HUD with some nice text on it
>Made the coins shrink down to zero, rather than just disappear when touched

>>Created a parallel world for my particle system
>>Made particles from one world delete upon contact, and new particles spawn in the parallel world in their place
But why?

I wanted a one way octagon
So particles can enter it, but not leave

The easiest way to do this seems to be to delete them when they contact the octagon, and spawn them into a parallel world that has boundaries on the outside of the octagon.

Literally the only possible way using the engine I'm using. Unless I edited a bunch of native C++ and wrapped it in Java, which I really don't want to do.

It also allows me to have the particles act differently and float in zero gravity in this parallel world. It's comfy to look at

Thanks user.

>I wonder if you will reach a point you could even release this game with these placeholders.
Probably not. It will stay a prototype forever until it gets actual assets sometime in 2040.

am i need to learn javafx for libgdx?

Congratulations, you have just invented the Quadtree structure.

I've been working with LibGDX for the past 6-8 months, and I hadn't heard of JavaFX until just now.

Unless you're doing something weird, you won't need it.

No. Normal Java is fine (didn't even know JavaFX was an option).

Quadtree implies recursive splitting into 4, get off Mount Stupid. The umbrella term is spatial partitioning FYI.

NO DANNY
I'VE TOLD YOU NOT TO. HOW MANY TIMES
JUST STOP I CAN'T STAND IT

Not him, but surely that's spatial hashing?

>implying he wouldn't keep going after the first pass
Good thing you proved your superior knowledge and unquestionable beauty, honored cunt

Yes, it would be.

That wasn't implied, shut the fuck up.

>i divided this area into 4 pieces
>i guess i'll stop dividing now, lest i create a black hole
Go fuck yourself with a cactus, you moron. Nobody thinks like this but autists like you.

google.com/search?q=spatial hashing vs quadtree&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

let's move on now

Did he say he was only dividing into 4 pieces?

No, I barely know what I'm doing though.
What I think I'm gonna do is
>Create a CollisionRegion class that has a rectangle, collidableEntities list, and a maximumOccupancy
> Get all collidableEntities in the level, find the top-left most and the bottom-right most, create a collision region with those entities, the rectangle being a rectangle that goes from top-left entity to bottom-right entity
> Keep creating smaller collisionregion objects with less collidableentities in them recursively until all collisionregion objects have less entities to check than their maximum occupancy

Is this way off base??

That sounds kind of inefficient, which defeats the point.

What you are proposing now is more like a quadtree; I would look into that. That being said, spatial hashing (using a grid of uniform size cells) is easier to implement and may be good enough (and even better than a quadtree depending on use case).

What language / engine are you using?

There may be something prebuilt that's easy to implement.

C# / Monogame

Never used either of those.

If you get stuck, switch to Java and LibGDX. Box2D makes all your 2D collisions and stuff super easy, it has built in spatial hashing.

>If you get stuck, switch to Java and LibGDX.

C# is the same as Java. Never used Monogame, but I'd be surprised if it had anything that LibGDX and Box2D didn't have.

Made a simple map test.
It's not much to look at, but I got the results I wanted: Thanks to the weird floor topology, this is 2000 tris, instead of 5000+.

Also found a way to utilize the topology for something positive: Casting long "sunrays" along the ground with vertex paint!

conkerjo.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/spatial-hashing-implementation-for-fast-2d-collisions/

Found this. Makes a lot of damn sense.

I want to try implementing as much by myself as possible. This is as much about learning how to be a better developer as it is making a video game.

I'm not dissing those choices, I'm dissing the fact that you think that's actual advice. Switching and remaking everything is better than learning how to implement simple spatial partitioning?

Topology

There is still a lot I could do to optimize, but it's okay for now, I think.

Meanwhile, this bastard was over 8000 tris, and actual Spyro maps are around 20-30.000(!)

>Switching and remaking everything
He may have only spent a few hours on it as far as I know.
>learning how to implement simple spatial partitioning?
It's difficult to do it perfectly, especially if you're not mathematical/comfortable with programming.

I wouldn't take the advice myself, but yno

>I want to try implementing as much by myself as possible.
That's fair enough. I plan on making my own engine just for fun after I finish the game I'm working on

>I wouldn't take the advice myself
Then why would you post it?

My 2 programming friends irl are double digit IQ. They generally only want my advice to make things easier. Anything hard and they just look at me blankly.

anyone else ever feel like becoming a jew before? i feel like i need some stupid rituals in my life.

Finished that proximity cursor, still a bit buggy but will be useful in gameplay later.
I'd also added a bunch of boring stuff so no need to post them.

>20-30.000(!)
dafuq

Yup. Shit's crazy.

That looks super convoluted and finicky.

did you make that other agdg platformer where you use your mouse to modify the level? why did you quit that

Ok. I know why I put that in so I'll keep it though.

Not me. Everything I do is supposed to use a controller.

In unity how do I convert a direction in the form of normalised Vector3s into a quaternion?

Quaternion.LookRotation().

quaternion.lookrotation(forward,upward)

You mean to get an object pointing in the direction the vector represents? In general there are infinitely many ways to do this, so it's not a straightforward conversion.

This works but you need to specify an up vector and you need to make sure whatever it is you're rotating is oriented correctly by default.

what's that jap game with monsters that look like pokemon?
>select all images that feel romantic

Yokai watch? Digimon?

ゲーム開発とは関係ありません

I should be fine with a 640x480 and a x2 and x3 of that as the only resolution options on Steam right? (it is a vertical STG)

monster rancher

no, it was an rpg I think? not a pokemon-like game in terms of gameplay.

the sprites were rendered in pokemon style tho

well I'm trying to rip that artstyle so it is gamedev

Anyone else here making a game using HolyC?

>the sprites were rendered in pokemon style tho
>well I'm trying to rip that artstyle
Looks like your problem is solved.

You sure it's not Digimon?

Wait, sprites? How old is this game?

You have exactly 40 seconds to post your dream game.

No more, no less.

dragon quest

Obviously not you meme spouting faggot.

dude i have no idea, i saw it once on /trash/ or some shit.

they were definitely sprites, rendered in the clean 2d way that higher res pokemon are. definitely not 3d, although there might have been a 3d game in the series? idk

not these

Is it Dokapon?

persona

no but this is cool

>"your game has so many issues"
>doesn't list any

i don't know what you want me to do bro

Fix them you lazy bum

>my game is perfect
Said no one ever.

show UVs, are you mapping each quad to a texture?

post it and we'll tell you

if it was a normie tester, then that complaint means that you don't even pass a minimum quality. there is so much wrong with it that you could change anything and make it better

show me your game i'll give you a list of issues

not really, while my game isn't prefect it's gotten a ton of downloads and lots of praise/media attention. just sometimes i get comments like that where people don't elaborate at all

post it fag

Like sixty downloads is basically zero, your game is fucking trash.

The one I'm making right now. Almost 3 years into the project now.

Do not give up.

Nigga, you couldn't pay me to give up. My motivation is at an alltime high.

not really a game but some day i'd like to create super realistic "a day in the life of (animal)" in vr. just put on your headset and be a gorilla in the mountains for a couple hours, or a rat in the sewers, or some sort of bacteria. there would be dramatisation to make it a little interesting but otherwise it's life from the perspective of a different species.

is this a walking simulator?

A game which makes you feel.

youtu.be/z4hf3rLPpGM

Landing and liftoff and a guy who isn't a hovercraft that can walk (but can't hover unfortunately).