Honda Del Sol

redpill me on these, Veeky Forums. are they as fun and reliable as civics from around the same time? do the targa tops really leak on all of them? up to what mileage can these engines last?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-TAJFbgfxk8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They're literally civics. hence "civic del sol"

The top does leak.

Practically every honda D engine has surpassed 200k miles by now. My D16 has 192k miles and runs better than my truck that's 4 years newer with only 112k miles.

how bad is the leakage? is there any way to seal it, or am I gonna have to put a cover on my car every time I park it?

I thought they were CRXs in everywhere but America?

I think you can put silicone around the seals and it'll help

Del Sol owner here.
The leakage is not terrible, at least on the 2 that I've owned. If it's consistently raining by you, a top could be handy, but for the most part shouldn't be needed.
D series engines are great in terms reliability and MPGs. I regularly get 25-30ish on my D16z6.
You can definitely have fun with a Sol, but really FWD kills any sort of "real" fun that other RWD cars have. You will learn to envy Miata drivers.
Overall I've loved the 2 Sols I've owned.

Fun cars, friend had one. Check out the old secret agent commercial for them for a laugh.

His didn't leak and I could fit comfortably in the trunk since 2seater (5'11").

You can get a pretty good bass box for behind the front seats as well.

Should have been RWD

We got that, it's called the S2000

Honda's "thing" is making fun FWD cars. You want something that's RWD, got to a different manufacturer.

And even then you get them failing on their identity. Where's the fun cars Honda? And NSX, what the fuck?

I've got a friend with a Del Slo with 360K on it, and he gets in the 40's on the highway. Never had a leak from the top either. She ain't pretty but she won't die.

Always wanted to buy one and make the Del Slo LM from Gran Turismo.

always wanted one, but '5k firm i no wud i gotz'

>do the targa tops really leak on all of them?
yes every single one

>up to what mileage can these engines last?
200,001 miles max, 200,003 if you're lucky

>Take a civic
>Shape the body like a mid-engined sports car, but keep it FWD
>Remove most of the useful interior/trunk space
>Make it floppier because targa top
>Somehow still come out heavier than a regular fucking Civic

Del Slo a shit. If ever there was a car that deserved to be left to the stancefags, it's the Del Sol.

surprisingly I've actually found a few in my area that are decently priced, from $1400 for one with fading clearcoat and recently rebuilt engine, to a nicely kept one with 186k original miles for around $2200, and one with 130k original miles that's been fully restored for $4500

I recently got crashed and the insurance compensation money for my car is just enough to afford the fully restored one, but I'm considering just buying one of the cheaper ones I mentioned, fixing it up a bit if necessary, and saving the rest of the money. that's actually why I asked about mileage, since most of the decently priced ones I find are near or are past 200k.

I'm not necessarily looking for a car with low mileage because I rarely have to drive long distances, I just want a sporty-looking, somewhat reliable transportation that sips gas

Get some carbolex or thin silicone grease to keep the rubber lubed up and no leaks.

The top will rattle a little, especially in cold weather.

Sorry, by why not just get a miata? More available = cheaper

The del Slow has a lot more headroom and a much larger trunk.

Some of us have always been too tall for a Miata, but the del Slow is fine.

Gotcha. I'm a short guy so I always forget that some people have problems with small cars.

FWD + tiny 4cyl = meh

I still think it's a cool little car if you're 18 y-o or something

I'd enjoy an NB, but all the miatas in my area suffer from heavy rwd tax. I'm also not a huge fan of how the NA looks, and I prefer the look of a targa top to a convertible top

fitting in miata wouldn't be an issue because I'm 5'7, but I'm in a band so I do need enough trunk space to fit a pretty big Marshall combo amp

>You can definitely have fun with a Sol, but really FWD kills any sort of "real" fun that other RWD cars have
del sol shouldve been an MR car.
Imagine honda competing with mr2
youtube.com/watch?v=-TAJFbgfxk8

My D17 is "only" at 113k.
>tfw spend more money on oil than gas