Why isn't this the ultimate city commute car?

>cheap as fuck, you can find low mileage 2014 >$8k
>reliable as fuck, almost nothing to maintain
>ev snappy torque
>range is enough for any metropolitan commute
>hov lane privileges
>electrons are cheap

Seriously, I'm not saying we have to love this washing machine on wheels, but is there anything wrong with it as a utility? Why don't more people get one and have a fun car for the weekends?

Other urls found in this thread:

cleantechnica.com/2016/12/13/2014-nissan-leaf-can-essentially-free-car-save-thousands-dollars/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A
FUCKING
LEAF

Because EV cars are shit

Because for $8k I'm going to need a $8k battery replacement in a year or two if I'm lucky. And like fuck I'm gonna pay $35k for a glorified golf cart.

>reliable as fuck, almost nothing to maintain
>Nissan

So it doesn't have tires, brakes, suspension, bushings, bearings, cooling systems, vacuum lines and a plethora of electronics that can go wrong? Fuck me I need to stay with the times! That's some futuristic shit.

A car is useless to me if I can't go right from work to the mountains and back which is around ~300kms.

>those girls
Fucking gross, and why even put the fucking darkie in there at all? Clearly she's French so I can see Renault must be behind this failure much like all the other Nissan failures.

Because they literally drain your soul.

I'm a bit hyped for electric bikes tho.

you're right op, they're liken the perfect a-to-b cars but i think a lot of people are turned off because of range anxiety and because they look so goofy

honestly a better bet for cheap ev commuter is volt

>Why isn't this the ultimate city commute car?

The seating inside is approximately 1.5x the width of a golf cart. I am not talking about the outside width or inside width. I am talking about the seating area. That shows you how efficient a golf cart is at seating multiple people in the 2 across models. A golf cart has very cheap battery costs as you can imagine. The EV cars have significant battery costs which are hidden by the electronics that electrically shift around the lower-performance battery sections to maintain longevity of the battery pack. But I bet you will select the menu option for "performance" instead of "longevity" instead.

Until the newer lithium ion battery technology is developed to allow far more deep discharge and recharge cycles in a vibration-prone environment, I will wait on EV and go hybrid if the law and insurance requires me to do so in order to have an improved cost profile after all fees and taxes. At least with a hybrid, I am never stranded due to battery problems and I can always go farther as needed if the expected battery charger at my destination was busy, broken, or had a ripoff fee of $20 or more.

Better than EV would be mandating that all smartphones have a required "community" app built-in. It can be turned off of course, but having it means that anyone turning it on can basically signal that they want a ride. Other cars going by will flash a message showing a rideshare is possible. The cost of this non-uber rideshare is then charged to the person's account and the privatized manager splits the fee to the driver and skims off a small fee for maintenance of the service.

It would end up cheaper than uber or lyft by a good margin as it is basically non-profit using privatized government contractors. Riders have votes based upon various factors, so drivers can choose the minimum quality level of passenger allowed to even trigger the display.

>city commute car
I can understand city bike, but this notion is just absurd, why you need a car that's just good for inside the city , why not just a compact car that can do most things, they occupy the same space, got stuck in the same traffic, stop being a hippie and just buy a fit

Are we being raided by EV manufacturers?

Why are asians so disgusting

Idk pham but where can I find a girl that looks like she used to be a man like that?

centuries of inbreeding and poor genetics from living in shit conditions

thanks for clearing that up

>vacuum lines
>vacuum
>2016
>all electric vehicle

>living in the city
>commuting to a city
>going near cities
Exception is the Honda City Turbo, that one is okay.

>not wanting culture and shit

I've lived in rural areas all my life. Its nice to have something to do any time of the day any day of the year.

The brake booster runs on hydraulic pressure from a pump in the Leaf, my bad. Some electric cars run a vacuum pump to power the brake booster. Either way that's still something to go wrong, the 40 pin connector on the unit is a dead give away.

>8k
>Fun car on the weekend
>Electric car

Also it looks like absolute shit!

But really, for an 8k fun car? Nigga, like hundreds of better options exist.

You’re looking to buy a $8,000 used 2014 Nissan LEAF.
You drive 13,476 miles per year (the US average).
A stable gasoline price of $2.21/gallon (a rather absurdly low price if you think about it, and likely to rise over the coming years, but it is the current average in the US, so let’s just use that).
Your current car is paid off (no more monthly payments on it).
Your current car has a fuel economy of 20 mpg.
Annual maintenance costs on the 2014 LEAF are 33% of your current car’s maintenance costs ($243 vs $737).
The average price of electricity you use to charge your car (including free workplace charging and/or free public charging and/or special home EV charging rates from your utility) is 3¢/kWh.
With such assumptions, you’d be spending $1,489 per year on gas, and you’d be spending $121 per year on electricity. (For the record, my mom has been easily and enjoyably living with the LEAF — only car in the household — for over 1 year and has spent far, far less than that.)

Not long after the 4th year of LEAF ownership, you would have saved more money on gasoline and maintenance than the cost of the 2014 Nissan LEAF + charging + LEAF maintenance. In other words, at that point, you basically got your LEAF for free.

If you kept the car for 10 years (and, to reiterate, assumed all of these figures fit that period and you didn’t replace the battery), that would be $11,000 in savings compared to keeping your gasoline car.

Naturally, if you change the assumptions, things change.

Let’s say you still have $3,000 to pay on your current car (instead of $0), but you pay twice as much for electricity (6¢/kWh), drive less (12,000 miles instead of 13,476 miles), and have better fuel economy in your current gas car (25 mpg instead of 20 mpg).

The situation gets even better. Just before the end of the 4th year, you’ve saved more money than the 2014 LEAF cost you.

cleantechnica.com/2016/12/13/2014-nissan-leaf-can-essentially-free-car-save-thousands-dollars/

You're right of course, it's got real pros and the cons are negligible in a city environment. I think it's worth noting that even such a flawed EV has legitimate arguments against the traditional car, in 20 years or so they'll probably supersede gasoline cars in ability, luxury and performance.

The cheapest Leaf I could find is a 2011 model with 90k kilometers for €12k.

Sorry

EVs revived integrated brake boosters, which is thought to have died back in the 90s. Regular brake boosters require vacuum pressure produced by combustion engines. Since EVs have none of that shit, they resorted to integrated brake boosters, which produce their own vacuum.

Niiscum shills pls leaf my Veeky Forums

Admit it, you're a 300lb tub of lard.

What about electric bikes/scooters?
Driving a car into the city is traffic jam suicide over here. But electric scooters/bikes seem a lot more interesting. And you get a shitload of tax rebates and advantages. Also instant torque.

2 year old LIon batteries that's why, apart from that it's the best option. Once the battery problem is solved and we start to produce clean electricity like Europe BEVs will make sense.

>electrons are cheap
Actually the failed/purposely corporate German energy politics have made electricity so expensive that an electric car is barely cheaper than a fuel efficient diesel and still carries all the drawbacks of electric motoring.

Also we don't have the space to waste on HOV lanes in Europe, the Tesla Model X has been named the most unreliable car of the model year 2016, and can you stupid fucking Americans please learn how to use the "lesser than" and "greater than "signs? ">" does NOT mean lesser.

Fuck, someone beat me to it.

Yes I agree goyim, buy into the new electric revolution goyim!

Traffic jam suicide > actual suicide

You try biking in a metropolis sometime...

>electrons are cheap
It is 11 cents per kilowatt hour here for the first tier. If I use a lot of KWH, then my rate moves to 2nd tier's even higher rate. That's to encourage me to not use too much power.

Adding any EV car will push me into the 2nd tier pricing. So those calculating their power usage should check to see how much tiering their electric company has for their community. The rates from the SAME utility company can vary in different areas of the same county based upon the cost to get that power to you.

kak