The Finnish origin of Odin

>In the Skjöldunga saga and the Ynglinga saga, Odin came from Asia and conquered Northern Europe. He gave Sweden to his son Yngvi and Denmark to his son Skjöldr. Since then the kings of Sweden were called Ynglings and those of Denmark Skjöldungs.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skjöldr

>Snorri Sturluson hints at a less divine origin in Skáldskaparmál for this dynasty: One war-king was named Skelfir; and his house is called the House of Skilfings: his kindred is in the Eastern Land. In the 13th century, the official Swedish/Scandinavian term for the modern-day Southern Finland was "Eastern Land", Österland, i.e. the eastern half of Sweden at the time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngling

Odin was a Finnish man and Varangian king Rurik over a thousand years later was his descendant with a mutated Finnish haplogroup.

>According to the descendant testing listed at the Russian Nobility DNA Project at FTDNA, the branch of the Rurik dynasty descended from Vladimir II Monomakh (Monomakhoviches) belong to Y-DNA haplogroup N1c1-L550 (Y4343 subclade), and includes Alexander Nevsky (1220-1263) and Ivan the Terrible (1530-1584). Notwithstanding, the branch descended from Vladimir II Monomakh's presumed paternal cousin Oleg I of Chernigov (Olgoviches) belonged to R1a1a. The Y-DNA from the Proto-Rurikid branches is N1c1 and matches the distinctive haplotype of the Monomakhoviches. Furthermore, this N1c1 haplotype possess the distinctive value DYS390=23, found in Scandinavia but not in Uralic populations, confirming that this was indeed the original haplotype of the Varangian prince Rurik (c. 830-c. 879) who established the Kievan Rus'.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharapita
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Pseudoscience
Mods please close this crap

It's not. It's all factual. Finns conquered much of Sweden in the iron age.

Oops, the initial conquest was in the bronze age but the Finnish control lasted until much later.

what the fuck are you smoking?

plz commit sudoku

Odin was most likely a Finnish leader who led the conquest of Mälaren region in Sweden by the Akozino-Akhlymovo culture and who was later worshipped as a god. It all makes sense if you drop the prejudiced pre-conceptions about Finns and get familiar with the facts.

Not an argument. If you want to propose an alternative theory do it but mine makes sense based on the facts like the conquest of Mälaren region and Ruriks haplogroup.

autism

this is we-wuz tier

>YFW your entire tribe focuses on glowing bodies, but you know what's up.

Proto-germanic peoples conquered western finland during the early iron age. The Finns then copied Odin/Wothanaz, and then called him Ukko.

Wrong, see The conquest happened the other way around and Finns conquered also Estonia and small parts of Finland from the Proto-Germanics or their close relatives.
Finnic people are conquerors who hail from the river Volga, not indigenous to Northern Europe.
The indigenous myth needs to die.

Wrong. Ukko has nothing to do with Odin, he's a kind a mixture of indigenous storm-god Ilmarinen, balto-slavic god of thunder Perun and proto-germanic Thunor.

Thor is most likely a Finno-Ugric god that the Finns at lake Mälaren made the Proto-Germanics worship.

>Variations similar to the name "Thor" are known to many peoples who speak Uralic languages. The Khants have a god named Torum, the Samis have Turms, and the Samoyeds have Tere. Finnish bishop Mikael Agricola mentions in 1551 a war god called Turisas, although this is more likely to refer to Thurisas; the Finns had also a god of harvest, luck and success called Tuuri.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharapita

It's hilarious that the cesspool of lies known as Veeky Forums considers facts to be "wewuz".
Except for the identification of Odin with the Finnish tribal leader who led the invasion of Mälaren region this thread is 100% verifiable fact.
If Odin was a real person he most likely was this certain leader though since there's not a lot of alternatives as Scandinavians didn't really get conquered all that much. Actually the Finnish invasion is the only known one after the Corded Ware that I know of.

WE WUZ GODS N' SHIT

Odin was no more a god than Attila the Hun.

Odin has clear parallels with other Indo-European gods, like Varuna and Ouranos, he's not some iron age import.

That's not relevant as stories conflate. The mythological arrival of Odin from the east correlates with the arrival of Finnic people from the Volga.

I wouldn't worry about the germanic butthurt OP.

It's well known to anyone that reads literature and has interests in history that majority of modern knowledge is actually based on XIX century German-Anglo propaganda, which also include Swedes.

They wanted to create Teutonic race, so they could have claims on the whole Europe.

I noticed months ago that Veeky Forums has only contempt for Finns and behind this are definitely Germanic Americans and Europeans.
The myth about Finns here is that we were some savage native reindeer herding people who were conquered over and over by mighty Aryans.
It's like those Nazi myths about Jews except if someone says those here they are told to go back to /pol/.
Obviously real facts disprove their hateful lies, Finns aren't indigenous but conquerors extremely similar to Turkic people. Estonia was definitely Indo-European before Finnic conquest as was a small part of Finland in the southwest.
They were conquered and Indo-Europeans can't deny it, only make low quality shitposts about "wewuzkangz".

The Odin being Asian part was made up by Snorri to explain the historical background of the stories, and help make it clear that the stories weren't actually true, it was not a part of the actual stories.

There's not exactly a wealth of sources available. My theory can be faiirly easily confirmed or disproved by genetic studies on 1st millenium AD Swedish kings who claimed descent from Odin. If they were related to Rurik then Odin was a Finn, if Rurik was a special snowflake then Odin can be forgotten.

well, maybe we should find us some 1st millenium swedish kings to research then.

Unfortunately....

"Thus he (Odin) established by law that all dead men should be burned, and their belongings laid with them upon the pile, and the ashes be cast into the sea or buried in the earth. Thus, said he, every one will come to Valhalla with the riches he had with him upon the pile; and he would also enjoy whatever he himself had buried in the earth. For men of consequence a mound should be raised to their memory, and for all other warriors who had been distinguished for manhood a standing stone; which custom remained long after Odin's time."

So this thing might never be resolved.

>Pseudo-science, myths and theories the thread

What a constructive and meaningful post. Thanks user, this thread definitely needed your insight on the subject.

Peanut brains of Veeky Forums are free to contest any of these claims

>Militaristic Proto-Finnic people from the Volga conquered Estonia, parts of Finland and the lake Mälaren region of Sweden from Indo-Europeans/Proto-Germanics after 800 BC

>Rurik of Roslagen was genetically descended from one of the Finn invaders and he was from the ground zero of the invasion which happened long before his time

>If Odin was a real person and an invader the only possibility is Finn as there were no other invasions of Scandinavia except the Finnish one

Rurik being the direct descendant of Odin is of course not proven but it would make perfect sense.

>>Militaristic Proto-Finnic people from the Volga conquered Estonia, parts of Finland and the lake Mälaren region of Sweden from Indo-Europeans/Proto-Germanics after 800 BC
Finnic peoples started become military active during the migration period 400-500 AD with the rise of the Tavastians,Karelians and the Kväns/Kainuu.These peoples fought mostly amongst themeselves.

Rurik was a Fennoswede.
Odin is NOT a real person. He's a god.

That's literally pseudoscience. Finnics were militaristic from the start and their bronze axes secure the transition of Estonia and lake Mälaren region from Indo-European to Finnic.
Rurik a Fenno-Swede? No but the region he was from provided most of the Swedish immigrants to Finland in the 13th century so obviously he has closer relatives among Finland-Swedes more than Finns. Doesn't change the original identity of the Finns who conquered lake Mälaren.

so Odin was just a normal human kang?

what about other scandi gods?

Reading the sagad of the Norwegian kings i remember reading this. I actually found it interesting that Odin had land in Asia.

I do not get all the butthurt in this thread. Especially when OP post sources while everyone else pull information out of their ass

Well variations of Thor are known to all branches of Uralic people and only Scandinavians among Indo-Europeans. On the other hand þunraz is supposed to be the origin of Thor so I don't know, maybe Thor came first by loan and þunraz after?

>only Scandinavians among Indo-Europeans.
that's just bullshit. slavs, balts, celts and other germans all worship a similar deity, probably at least some others too but i'm not familiar with them. excluding balto-slavic perun/perkunas they even share a same name root for him.

I checked it on Wiktionary and Irish Torann is very similar so yes it does seem like it isn't loaned after all.

On the other hand Finnish/Estonian Tuuri/Taara can't be from Thor either.

yes it can. your "theory" sucks and you should deal with it.

Taara (Tharapita) is possibly a version of Dyeus, the PIE god where Zeus and Jupiter came from.

It can't because the god is known to all branches of Uralic people so it makes sense that Uralic people knew about it from their ancestors rather than some Germanic shitters whose land they forcibly took.
You have double standard.

>Taranis, as a personification of thunder, is often identified with similar deities found in other Indo-European pantheons. Of these, Old Norse Þórr, Anglo-Saxon Þunor, Old High German Donar—all from Proto-Germanic *þunraz (earlier *þunaraz)—and the Hittite theonym Tarhun (see Teshub) contain a comparable *torun- element. The Thracian deity names Zbel-thurdos, Zbel-Thiurdos also contain this element (Thracian thurd(a), "push, crash down"). The name of the Sami thunder god Horagalles derives from Thor's

Whatever but the point is it was known to the Proto-Uralics hence the Samoyedic Tere.

Unlike Aryanists with rotten brains I can actually change my opinion about things when I realize my hypothesis no longer makes sense.
Indo-Europeans and Uralics both had a god called T_r since several millenia BC, case closed.

This.

Burial customs amongst "1st millennium" Nordic peoples is outrageously varied, and this is so across all social classes. I'm sure there are plenty of non-cremated king burials amongst the Nordic people. In fact, I'm pretty sure they know of several potential royal burial mounds in Scandinavia, but it's been a while since I've looked into any of this, so don't quote me on that. Not to mention, I don't think pre-industrial cremation usually managed to destroyed all of the tissue, so a king's cremated and buried remains might still yield some useful genetic information.

But what about the fact that Rurik could have been an imaginary character created by German historians and scientists in the Russian empire?
They tried to fuck a lot with Russian history and Lomonosov was fucking pissed about it and even got into real fight with those lads?
Hell, who would accept a foreigner as their leader and fucking invite him to be the ruler of their land?
>inb4 memes about slavs being subhumans etc

Russia was always a German playground.

It might have always been that way, unless you're talking about Russia before Peter, sure, but i honestly can't trust Germans. These cunts will find half a haplotype in common with someone's family and pretend they're brothers while raping someone's history.
Take Charlemagne for example, he's more Dutch or Frankish than German, and yet, these cunts scream that he's a true German. Fuck, i've talked to a couple of Germs who think Clovis was one of them, or even Charles Martel and Dagobert

I thought Odin was a Vedic god

Are you the t. Cai-Göran guy?

This.

Even if Finns(like 2.000 guys spread over half of what is today European Russia) somehow conquered Mälaren, how in the fuck did it so happen that south-Germanics also came to worship Oden?

>Dutch or Frankish than German

Those are different German tribes. Germans are a collective name for a LOT of different tribes. It's only in the last centuries that they have become a single people.

Franks were a Germanic tribe, and the Dutch were for a long time too.

Does this mean the Hyperwar was real???

Like all pagan gods, Odin comes from Babylon and is Nimrod the hunter.

>Odin came from Asia and conquered Northern Europe

Doesn't Odin share tons of parallels with Hermes and even some parallels with hindu mythology?

Asura/Deva Aesir/Vanir

In the Asura-Deva war (Asuras led by Shukra and Bali and Devas led by Brihaspati and Indra) at Ocean of Milk, Rahu tricked the Deva's and was about to drink Amrita, Elixir of immortality. Deva's spotted Rahu and cut off his head. His head became immortal and chief advisor of Asura's.

At the conclusion of the Aesir-Vanir War at Well of Magic, fearing trickery from the Aesir, the Vanir beheaded Mimir and returned his head to Asgard. Odin preserved the head of Mimir with magic so Mimir can be his advisor.

Njordr the leader of Vanir was in an ill-fated marriage with the goddess Skadi. Shiva who sometimes leads the Devas in war also had an ill fated marriage with Shakti/Sati. Shiva has a Jyotir Linga form. Brihaspati, the leader of Devas too was in an ill fated marriage. Name of Indra's wife is Schachi which sounds similar to Skadi.

Loki is a trickster. Purandara/Indra, god-king of heaven, is notorious for various tricks and tactics and the most criticized god in Indian mythology. Norse believed Loki imprisoned their gods. Vali, unfortunate son of Loki. Purandar's son is Vali who was cursed to become a Vanara and unfortunately died at the hands of Rama.

Baldr is the greatest king of Aeisir. Bali is the greatest Asura king. The whole world did weep for the generous son of Odin, Baldr. Bali is probably the most generous king in Indian mythology. Baldr will return at the end of Ragnark. Bali will return as Indra at the end of this Manavantara. Bali ruled the earth as Emperor. Bali was Daitya division of Asura. Odin can raise the dead. Shukra too can rasie the dead.

>tl;dr most people from the caucus mountain share a similar pagan mythology

Odin/Shukracharya:

Shukra was the teacher of Asura. He had one eye. He was the son of Bhrigu and grandson of Brahma. His main weapon was a magic stick or spear. Brahma was the creator. Asura are often depicted with horned helmets.

Odin was the father of Aesir. He had one eye. He was the son of Burr and grandson of Buri. His main weapon was spear. Buri was the first god in Norse myth.

Odin was swallowed by Fenrir. Shukra was swallowed by Shiva. Tyr lost his hand to Fenrir. Savitr lost his hand to Shiva.

Aren't there more parallels between Enki and Odin?

Odin -> Oдин. Oдин means "one" in russian.

Just tired and drunk

WANTED to sgare fin fact

Are you saying you think they are related?

There was no such thing as South Germanic in 500bc.

That is very interesting. The fact that before zarathustra the iranic tribes worshipped Daevas and were told by zarathustra that daevas were maelovelent and then began worshipping Ahura a cognate of Asura. I reckon purely through a etymological sense there was some sort of religious conflict or strife that caused the separation of PIE people's to split and one to go south and the other to go north. They may have had their own tribal names and hero's who later became asuras and devas in their own right.

ofc it was real, how else do you explain the disappearing of our ancient empires?

the decline and fall of our ancient valtakunta was long and brutal
some theories explain that the enemies terraformed northern Europe to destroy us with gigantic glaciers, resulting in a temporary climate shift towards ice age. the results were devastating, our civilization was wiped out

LOL at this Aryanist nonsense. Indo-Europeans were a bunch of bloodthirsty landpirates who always were on the move because they were hunted by other Indo-Europeans also.
Civilizations in Europe and India(Indus valley, Stonehenge) were vastly superior to anything the Indo-Europeans could come up with for thousands of years.
Finno-Ugric and Turkic people had the full right of conquest because nothing the Indo-Europeans had belonged to them.
Finnic Mordvins taking the PIE urheimat in Mordovia was cosmic justice.
Mordvins also happen to be the most PIE people genetically beause of mixing so not even the most Aryan people are Aryans.

Perhaps

Russian pronunciation of "oдин" is "a-din"/"o-din" (regional accents and such slightly vary)

English pronunciation of "odin" is "oh-din"

I highly doubtt thatthe words are a mere coincide ce of exisctence in the russian language

Or maybe Odin was named dafter then number XDDD

Well the problem is the further you go back the less similar they look

Oдин < Proto-Slavic *edinъ < Proto-Indo-European *h1edʰiHnos
Odin < Proto-Germanic *wōdanaz < Proto-Indo-European *weh2tónos

Are you suggest they simply turnied into the same word over long ttime?

sota = war
(minä) sodin = I warred (participated in war)
take the s away, and you get Odin

obviously someone who warred and fought a lot eventually became the legendary Odin figure.

other similar sounding Finnish words:
sata = hundred
sato= harvest
sataa = rain
ottaa = to take (otin = I took)

WE

we wuz swedish n shiet