Redpill me on Subaru, Veeky Forums...

Redpill me on Subaru, Veeky Forums. Is it true that all their engines will blow the headgasket at least once in their lifetime?

I want to buy either a H6 outback or 2.5 turbo forester and i'm scared shitless.

pls resbond

>Is it true that all their engines will blow the headgasket at least once in their lifetime?
This is a meme of a decade ago when it was an issue

It happens when kiddies over Rev their engines, damage it then complain the car can't take "casual driving"

this
don't over rev it or bang the redline as if it is a honda and you're fine
unless its the sohc 2.5RS engine

Friend of mine let me drive his bone stock 05 STi the other day.
Those things haul ass, and that shifter felt amazing.

This is also part of the reason it's so stupidly hard to find good used wrx's of any kind because the stereotypical retards who buy these do their shitty "tunes" and ruined their clutches and transmissions. Unless you are a super expert and know what to look for specifically in this used ones and can differentiate between a bad tune or a bad transmission and a good used wrx it's very difficult

Probably why I'm not going to buy used for any 2017 wrx I'm looking at next summer I don't wanna risk getting a bad one unless it's got really low miles and there's simply nothing wrong with it and no evidence of heavy wear at all

well, i want the 2nd gen forester the most (02-08), so the car might be inflicted unfortunately

not interested in a WRX (shitty fan base)
But i did find a first gen legacy for sale.

$2200. Manual, NA. not sure if its the AWD or not.

Y/N?

>not sure if its the AWD or not.
nigga, all subies are awd

>know nothing about cars for years
>always hear about 'blown headgaskets'
>sounded pretty ominous and like a pain in the ass
>fast forward to today
>have some wrenching experience under my belt
>realize that a gasket is literally a thin piece of rubber
>mfw all these retards lose their shit over replacing a thin piece of rubber

>wanting a subaru
underage b&

it's not about the expense of the gasket, it's about many hours of labor that go into replacing one properly, and the boxer layout is especially fucked up, since you have basically no space to work with and many garages simply lift the engine up to get into the spot

nope. some legacies are FWD. also some older Subaru are RWD. Maybe all are AWD is just an american thing.

Actually this raises the question, aside from the I4 subarus, are there any of the flat 4 subarus you can do a headgasket in without removing the engine?

>you have to remove the engine to change a fucking gasket

Jesus christ what am I getting myself into

Not him but is the new engine in the 2017 wrx have the same issue in regards to having to remove the engine to change a gasket?

mostly just Post 2000's.

you dont have to pull the whole engine but you do have to undo all the engine mounts and jack the engine up to get access to the head.

most post 2000 subarus have the engine sat almost exactly between the front two chassis rails.

Subarus flat 4s require you to lift the engine.

>you dont have to pull the whole engine but you do have to undo all the engine mounts and jack the engine up to get access to the head.
And there's absolutely no other way to do it without moving the engine?

What ever it's probably easier and faster once you remove it.

>people in this thread still buying into the headgasket meme

No.
The heads are on the side remember?

He's probably looking at 2000 models. This is Veeky Forums after all. That's the issue.

One of the seals on mine is out so I'm leaking oil but it's an easy fix but 157,000 miles and the head gasket hasn't gone out yet

so how far does the memegasket go? 2004-5?

I hear the new WRX STI has had some serious teething problems with its new engine. T/F?

>Maybe all are AWD is just an american thing.
It is, but that started in 1996. The only car since, sold in America that isn't AWD but is a Subaru is the Subaru BRZ

I think 2007
You aren't wrong. Had 2 new stis get bought back from Subaru of America

Head gaskets are only an issue on late 90s/early 2000s 2.5L n/a trash and some of the 2.2L's as well.

2.5 HG failures manifest as external leaks in later models and internal leaks in early ones.

2.2 just goes kaboom.

Turbos and h6's are immune.

Why you telling me for? I'm trying to say they arent an issue in the newer ones

I have a question, if I choose to get a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires do I have to get my tired aligned every time I swap them out? If I do I might just say fuck it and get all seasons

Yeah it's no big deal on a Miata or some shit, but on a Subaru with a boxer motor you have two head gaskets for two heads that are on either side of the motor, under everything else. And most of the 2.5 motors from before around 2005 do fail because the oem headgaskets are so bad. So it just turns into a huge shit show because you have no room to work and have to do it twice, when they shouldn't have blown in the first place. I drive a 1997 Outback with aftermarket head gaskets and a rebuilt head though, and it's honestly great.

Wow you are super dumb.

The new STI still has the old 2.5 EJ motor. The WRX got a 2.0 FA motor, which is a fairly new powerplant.

Are the DOHC 2.5s diesels?

I heard they all burn oil.

Why are turbos immune to this? Shouldn't they be more affected, since more power, more strain in the engine etc.

I think it's because it's been specifically designed to handle a turbo so it doesn't matter as much

Depends if you just had an alignment done already
If you have been driving on summer tires for a year or so already and switch to winter tires then yes you must get an alignment.

Is you're any way to align them myself or should I just go get them aligned by someone

>yfw this idiot can't tell the difference between a head gasket (metal)
And a valve cover gasket (rubber)
You still know nothing.

Some na ej25s have actually head gasket problems. The rest of their engine problems are due to retards beating the shit out of them for a decade

bought a new outback i fucking love it.
and yes i am also a lesbian.

Also depends. Do you have your own alignment rack that can tell how many degrees your caster, camber, and toe is?
If no then then you must have a professional do it.

its the japenese equivilent of the audi timing chain

its a wonderful car till you have to pay to fix shit

Fuck me I wonder how much one of those things are

An alignment ? 4 wheel alignments are 89$ to 150$ my Subaru dealership sells them for 150$

I drove my Outback H6. Tons of effortless power and a nice Porsche-esque growl.

And I am a lesbian too.

*trapped in a man's body.

I think I'm gonna a say fuck it and get all seasons and get a free alignment on my inspection day

Alignment isn't effected by different tires it's effected by spring height.

I saw a way, but it takes forever and if you drop a single nut, you have to pull the engine to get it out.

Whatever floats your boat man. I run all seasons year round because I'm in California

Are you saying you don't need one everytime you replace tires?
Because if you are than you are mistaken.

I live in New York I was gonna get a wrx with its summer tires then buy separate tires and wheels for the winter tires

But this upkeep seems like it's way too much for my blood so I'm gonna a get all seasons and save 300 a uear

>>mfw all these retards lose their shit over replacing a thin piece of rubber
KEK

You want me to tell you how i know you dont wrench for serious shit?

Removing the cyl head part? sure. Removing head gasket? slightly time consuming to use a screw driver to remove what's toasted into the block. Place new one in? just like building a lego. Bolting the cyl head? slightly complex but no big deal.

Timing belt? holy shit good luck
Having to do this without fucking up electronic sensors and wires? HA HA HA HA HA
Doing this on the two heads of the engine that are horizontal to the ground and easy to fuck shit up because of gravity? you will need luck.
Any "problem" with the engine its easy if you just look at the problem for what it is. Shit gets complicated when you start to pile up things that you need to remove or add. Changing a flywheel its easy enough if that's the only problem. Taking care of the tranny, diff, wheels, clutch, and placing it together its so easy.

if buying tires is to much upkeep dont buy something with a turbo

It's different when you have to lift an engine to replace a very simple part.

It's like those Porsche that were so convoluted you had to remove a tire to get to the oil filter

Yep. That too.

Vs and Inline engines are mostly used not just due to ease of fabrication, but most engine bays in the world are designed with those types of engine in mind. You want a rotary and you might make it because they are small. But dont bitch about space and complexity when fixing shit if you have a boxer engine.

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've heard in my life. You need a balance every time you change tires. You don't need an alignment.

How hard is it to balance your tires yourself?

Should i wait till my car explodes

You need a fairly expensive machine but the tire shop should do it for you when you get tires mounted on the rim.

Do I need a balance if I already have the rims and tires mounted? My idea is to have two sets of wheels and tires respectively

That's pretty bad. You might as well do it when you get the chance.

Are you being retarded on purpose? What gets out of whack after riding on the same tires for 3 years? Your toe, caster and camber. Now, tires don't throw that shit out of alignment the fucking road does. You get alignments so that your tires wear evenly so that your suspension components don't wear then out prematurely you fucking idiot. If you didn't need an alignment every tire change then they wouldn't fucking exist.

0/10 for making me reply

If you have 2 sets of wheels and tires you can just swap them out. If you suspect something is off get them rebalanced. Sometimes the weights fall off.

Yes you need both sets balanced

Alrighty thanks.

I don't know who the believe

So you would pay for an alignment every time you switch from summers to winters? That a huge waste of money and retarded. Tripfags are the worst thing on this board.

I thought I read 2 sets of wheels. Usually no. But it doesn't help to check the balance. Once again this falls under the time you have had those weights on. I would do another balance just because

Depends how long I have been driving on summer tires You just don't know what the fuck your talking about dipshit leave us to give the advice because we actually know what the fuck were talking about.

>just need a balance
Funniest shit I have read all day

Why the fuck would you balance already mounted tires? They do it at the shop when you get them mounted. How are they going to unbalance themselves sitting on a shelf for 6 months?

Legacy gt 2010 manual for 13000 maple bucks a good deal?

Your tire shop must fucking love you. If your alignment is good and and you switch to another set of wheels and tires your alignment hasn't fucking changed so it's still good.

I'm talking about swapping tires off those wheels for winter ones
How would you know ? You aren't getting it checked regardless because you're stupid.

If you drive for 1 year on regular tires
And you opt to switch to another set for whatever fucking reason
Your alignment WILL BE OFF no matter what. May not be bad bit it's obvious both of you have never done alignments nor are certified. So you keep telling your self that kids

The head gaskets aren't made of literal cow shit is why.

Certified even higher. I have a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. Your alignment isn't going to be out of tolerance in a year unless you just run over curbs all year. It also won't be out of tolerance if you are switching between 2 sets of good tires.

If you drive a car where you can actually feel the wheels then you know it feels neato to get them rebalanced when you take it in for inspection. Especially if it's ever winter where you live.

>low COG
>piston ring failure
>makes no power for your investment when compared to other vehicles
>WORST FAN BASE EVER
>paint is paper thin
>5 speeds made of glass
>parts are $1,000,000
Source: I own a WRX and will never drive anything else

Should be able to get that for cheaper. That's too much even for snow country.

are you implying a low center of gravity is bad?

it's one of the few positives. that, and a subaru costs about half as much as en evo

> Buys WRX
> Beats the shit out of it
> Complains about transmission

it works fine for me, I'm just reporting the facts. They're not very strong haha.
I'm gonna beat it until it breaks and buy some straight cut gears for it. Costs just as much as a 6 speed swap and would be stronger and waaaaaaaaaaaay less work

>buy a subaru
first thing
>hey brah can you do a four wheel burnout?

no

ayyy TradeMe. Kiwi lad detected

Wrong.

H6 the eg33 (pretty sure it's this one they have another too, is basically a ej22 with 2 extra Pistons, ej22s do not have hg problems and are hardy as fuck

That's true about the EJ22, but the modern H6s were a significant redesign befitting a whole new engine code. Not to besmirch them, but I wouldn't assume too much about one from the other.

Why do flat engines exist? It's like my mechanic teacher once told me, engineers exists to make a mechanic's life harder.

Seems to me to be about as variable as whether half your V6 or V8 is stuck under the firewall when you want to change the plugs. Every single thing I did on mine from clutch to axles to suspension to timing belt was a cake walk. Every significant thing I attempted was my first time.

Then again the slogan used to be "Cheap and built to stay that way" rather than "look at this smug lesbian."

Subaru head gaskets are the easiest thing in the world to do. Can be done in 4 hours.

Wouldve bought this piece if I didnt just pick up my '08 civic winter beater the other day.

>5 speed
>111k miles
>$1295

fugg

>5 speeds made of glass
Meanwhile the 4EAT is the equivalent of the a chick name Bertha. Unrefined, ugly but STRONK. They are hard to kill, have some towing capability and don't give a fuck about your "driving experience". 5EAT should have just been slapped on everything instead of the cvt.

Man you fucked up

I'm in the market for a '17 WRX but I've read that a lot of people have had issues with throwout bearing / clutch failures. Do you see this problem often?

I just had my ej25de heads resurfaced and new head gasket put on.
Bought a 98 5sp legacy gt wagon for 500. Hopefully I can register it haha.

their automatics are slow as hell but bulletproof, my forester is closing in on 200k miles of hard life (was a farmer's car) and the tranny gives no issues whatsoever, even when the engine is stone cold.

It's very possible that the majority of the problems with Subarus are at least in part caused by the people who drive them. Bashing redline and dumping the clutch at every other stop sign can't be good for the car.

That is true today, but it wasn't always