Selling lemon cars on Craigslist

sup guys...

so I just sold a car on craigslist last week. It's an old 25 year old car, with some obvious work needed, so my asking price was pretty low. I'm not exactly a mechanic but I did my best to maintain it, it ran and drove fine; only real issue it had was oil burning.

Anyways, I sold it, and a few days later, I'm getting a bunch of calls and messages saying I need to call back and it's urgent. When I do call back, it's the person I sold it to, but his mechanic. He's telling me he's giving me a "courtesy call", that he inspected the car and that it has a cylinder with bad/no compression. He is basically warning me to refund the guy because it's $2800 to repair or that I'll get sued and that "it's going to get ugly". Oh and that his parents are lawyers to boot.

So I'm feeling pretty shitty and stressed out about this. I'm in California, so I'm pretty sure it's a done deal, according to research I've done, every source states that's it's a done deal "as is". But I still feel pretty terrible, if it's true that the car is as bad as they say. However it always drove fine. When the dude that bought it test drove and inspected it, he had no complaints. I feel like they could just be lying, or maybe they already drove it in a way that fucked it up themselves.
Can they really take me to court? I'm scared people are gonna show up at my house and fuck shit up or something lol.

What the hell should I do Veeky Forums?

Honestly he should've had a pre-purchase inspection done. I wouldn't be concerned, just be nice and tell him that you sold the car as is and that the price was adjusted for known issues. It was his responsibility to see a mechanic prior to purchase if he had any concerns.

Dunno about lemon laws in California but typically a private deal is done as is without warranty. So long as you didn't offer a warranty or guarantee you should be fine to tell them to fuck off.

Tell him to fuck off because you're a private seller, not a dealer, and it was sold as-is. He's trying to scam you.

As for whether or not they fuck your shit up is up to them and then you will need to find a way to hold them responsible for what they do if anything. If the parents are actually lawyers nothing will happen as they would just let it be a lesson rather than become retarded savages

As someone who's bought a few lemons, like much of Veeky Forums and every swinging dick in the US, I can say that it's his problem and that's about it. It sucks, but really, what can you do?

Just quit answering your phone and let him stew. What was the car and what'd you sell it for?

>25 year old car
>needs $2800 in repairs
Doesn't seem that bad
How much did you sell it for? If not much then he can go fuck himself lel

as soon as it leaves your property it's his problem

they have no grounds for any kind of lawsuit unless they can prove you deliberately mislead him

which it doesn't sound like you did

In most states lemon laws only apply to dealer sales, so I would call a lawyer.

If you signed over the title and had it notarized it's a final sale and you should tell them that, I bet the 'mechanic' is in on this scam they're running on you.

If you told him about the oil burning that should have been a red flag to anyone not mechanicly-inclined (I say that because if you can wrench, then that red flag turns into money bags).
If he bought it knowingly, his fault.
Fuck him.

Same guy.
Don't puss thus out OP grow a big dick and show it.

Don't do anything

Private sales are "no refunds" and "as is" by default unlesss you stated otherwise.

Just ignore their calls and messages from now on.

This. Sounds like you sold a car to a minority.

>What the hell should I do Veeky Forums?
Block the phone numbers that are calling you and be happy. PRIVATE PARTY SALES ARE AS IS
THEY HAVE NO LEGAL RECOURSE

Sounds like a scam

>"courtesy call"
>"lawyers"
>"mechanic"

Chances are the car is fine and they are just trying to get money out of you

>buying a classic car
>not having any mechanical knowledge
>expecting it to work just like a modern car with new everything
>getting cucked by a mechanic

>insert grapes of wrath jalopy reference here

Tell them to get fucked.

About 2 years ago I sold a tractor to some guy who only needed the engine. I told him every issue I knew about including the transmission and hydraulics being fucked. He said he didn't care as he only needed the engine and the rest of the tractor would just be for parts. 2 months later he sends me a fucking bill for $13000 claiming I never told him about the transmissiom. fucker claimed he was gonna call his lawyer till I pointed out that the invoice which he signed detailed the issues I told him about and clearly said "SOLD AS IS"

Scam. Tell him to fuck himself with a rake.

Still waiting to hear from OP what the car was and what he sold it for.

Check your states buyer beware laws. But from what I know a private dealing is final unless there is provable fraud which is really hard to do. So just ignore them.

>25 years old
>classic

Just ignore him

Old Honda Accord coupe for 1500

If that's really you, OP, fuck them. If the body was in decent shape, that's more than a fair price for Cali.

Crikey! We need to have Edd work overtime if we're going to turn a profit.

Body was straight, not even any big dents, interior was like new. And like I said the fucker still ran strong, clutch was good, handled beautifully. Even if it will need an engine swap in the future I think it's a fair deal as well. About a year ago I tried buying a 90 prelude from an old lady who had her car at the shop, saying her mechanics were suggesting a bottom end rebuild. Bitch wouldn't budge below 2,000.

You're saying they probably bought the car thinking they could turn a quick profit?

Anyways thanks for the advice guys. Veeky Forums is always the best reassurance

How much did you sell it for??

did you sell it as-is?
did you get him to sign a bill of sale with the words "AS-IS" on it?
if you said yes to both of these, then you are in the clear
if you said no to one of these things then it's a bit of a gray area where both should have happened but most importantly it being marked on the BOS
if you say no to both you have fucked up and basically given it an implied warranty that it is in functioning order and will at least pass smog

worst comes to worst he can take you to small claims court
Verdict: his parents are lawyers, it's just babbys first jewing, goy. If you sold it as-is, stand your ground

t. commiefornian

Private sale, as is, no warranty

They can get bent

oh, almost forgot, did you sell it with a recent smog test?
>probably not with a dead cylinder, my god all the blowby...
in CA seller is responsible for a current passing test (last 30 days) or vehicle is presumed to be sold as-is

good luck user don't get jewed

Dude u are fine.
But keep us updated

Tell them your sorry and youll fix the car but they will need to sign ownership back to you so you can take it to a garage without the police thinking you've stole it.
But dont give the money back since your just "fixing it for them"

They are scamming you and what they are doing might be illegal. If it had no compression you would have known it.

Post this assholes number so we can send him exploding bags if used dif oil.

Technically, yes. That is the definition of a classic car.

He's bluffing.