What do you guys think of Toyota starlets?

What do you guys think of Toyota starlets?

should I get one as a daily?

how much should I pay for it? are they easy to work on?

cold air exhaust.jpg

huh?

I'm about to go to bed so don't have time to write an autistically long post extolling the virtues of Starlet ownership, so I'll do a TL;DR for now.

TL;DR: beat the shit out of my old n/a Starlet for about 5 years and it never missed a beat. Cheap as chips to buy and insure and maintain.

Just don't get a turbo Starlet. Whole different ball-game.
t. Starlet owner

Pic related, my old n/a UK market EP91

It will be posted if you keep this thread up long enough and then you'll have to deal with British people

I want a GT, what's wrong with them?

It would be a toy and not my daily.

Did you used to have a black EP82 on Meister R coils?

Meant for

Ive been looking for a 5 speed tercel sedan (closet to the startlet we get in the states) in good condition for a while now so I can do a 4efte swap on it, but no luck. Plenty of coupes but no sedans at all, not even automatic.

He still has it. It's very fast

FUCK Starlet, weak young unmicra total fucking. There is only one answer when asked the nature of love.

K 1 1

>What do you guys think of Toyota starlets?
Bueno.

>should I get one as a daily?
Yes.

>how much should I pay for it?
idk look around on your Craigslist equivalent and figure out what a good price is.

>are they easy to work on?
If the Tercel is anything to go by, yes.

>4E
Just get a 5th gen or Paseo with a 5E-FE already in it. If you're dead set on a 4E-FTE or whatever, most parts will transfer over to the 5E. More displacement, mang.

I've read the American market Toyota Tercel's were just coupe and sedan variants of the Starlet. How true is this?

ehhhh

Starlet is 'P' platform, Tercel and Paseo are 'L' platform.

They also shared the E engine (different displacements though) and I'm sure the same transmissions.

from what I can find the suspension was also completely interchangeable between the 2. struts/shocks, springs, brakes, steering knuckles, sway bars, etc is all interchangeable. The hard points are all the same.

Y'know, I think you're right. I seem to remember Starlet popping up a lot when I was looking into putting a sway bar on my Tercel.

I'd buy an Micra instead. Much more reliable and rust proof.

Did Americans not get K11 Micras? Why would you even consider a Starlet?

Nope. Americans didn't even get the Starlet. Americans got a Starlet derivative called the Tercel available as a 2 door coupe or a 4 door sedan.
America still doesn't get the Micra. Until 2007, the smallest Nissan in America was the Sentra, which was based on the Nissan Sunny.

Is it too expensive to move to a better country?

yes. looking into it to avoid Trump's rule.

Yes, you don't understand how cheap shit is in the US
I'm a dropout and I can still put away for retirement working a zero-effort job and four hobbies. It's all due to low cost of living and low taxes.

The downside is laws that restrict those hobbies somewhat. I want suppressors for all my guns and a Niva 4x4, but no.

I've paid £4k in income tax so far this financial year, jealous desu. Would probably trade qt K11 for non cucked tax law

Why would you even consider a fwd shitheap?

>ancient

Steve Evans pls

It all boils down to a simple choice

Micra's for Pro's
Starlets for Hoe's

>It's all due to low cost of living and low taxes.
You enjoy living in a shitheap rural flyover state?

I got the original picture but its 7MB, I'm sure someone else from the meet will turn up

the starlet gt is a death trap.
the torque steer is fucking mental.

the chassis can't deal with it, What do you expect. They took a shitbox, threw a turbo on and said "Job done"

get the turbo glanza v model. upspec the turbo and leave civic fags crying into their coke. very good sleeper

GT a cool faggot

never said it wasn't. But it's a fact the chassis can't deal. It torquesteers like a motherfucker and the chassis might as well be made of wet noodles
It's cool, but a dangerous deathtrap

the cheapest one of these in the uk on ebay is a fucking shell on at £1000. decent cars, but pikeys see the ae86 sell for stupid money and assume all toyotas from 40 years ago are worth a fortune.

GT a best faggot

Jesus christ you have a massive chip on your shoulder about the EP turbos.

I can confirm they torquesteer like a cunt though, mine is only at 164bhp at 0.7bar and in the right conditions, it's stupid how much it does it. LSD sorts it all out though, no problems.

As for the chassis, set of coilies and various braces, and a rear antiroll bar and you'll be laughing. Never gonna compete with the Civics etc due to not having IRS, but still plenty of fun to chuck around.

We got the Starlet. We even got the older RWD Starlets (KP60/61 I believe?) for a very short period of time I've met a few people with various Starlets.

Dont listen to this retard

You want a tuebod starlet, glanta V, ep81, whatever you can get. The 4efe is a poormans ride and youll want more power sooner, the built 5efe/4efe has been beaten to death and is costly. The turbo one has made 400hp and 300hp is a reasonable amount for cheap

I live in washington and can find you one easy, theres the 5efe, 3ee, paseo, 3rd gen, second gen

>don't listen to this retard
How many Starlets have you owned? More than Nick?

I daily a GT turbo with an engine I rebuild myself and its doing fine, 100km every day

What is that on the bottom left side of the image, in front of the block?
An oil cooler?
Anyways E engine a cute.

Oh wait, never mind. That's a spacer to get the oil filter away from the turbo, and to supply the turbo with oil.
Huh. Here's a 3E-TE.

>siamesed ports
Reeeeee

Correct, to replace the filter
That looks cute

They're not siamesed, but they are really close together.

Apparently it made a whopping 113 HP
Considering the NA version made 82, that's quite a step up lol

Not that guy.
But they're Siamese the same way small block Chevs are. As long as the manifold runners are conjoined, it's correct to call them a Siamese port.

>having most of the performance penalty of a siamese while not making the most of the packaging potential
Reeeeeeee

Ohhhh ok. I thought he meant siamesed in the way old straight-6 engines would have 3 intake ports. Gotcha.

Why the fuck would you ever own a Starlet over a Nissan Micra?

Toyota reliability?

Over Micra reliability?

Why not both?
E engine super reliable, Nissan generally super reliable.