Why hasn't anyone made a small displacement straight 8 , high rev engine, like by putting two motorcycle blocks together

why hasn't anyone made a small displacement straight 8 , high rev engine, like by putting two motorcycle blocks together

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p5y3a2did4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

packaging > smoothness

Because a straight-6 is balanced without having to do any special bullshit, and you can get a v8 if you want 8 cylinders.

With a crankshaft that long it gets more difficult to manage twisty forces. It's neat, but I6 is a better sense of compromises.

Straight sixes already have inherent balance, at which point there's no use in adding to the bank, only to add entire banks. The next logical step are the V12 and maybe someday again the W18 (in the past only in airplanes, but a Ferrari prototype caused the F1 management to ban engines with more than 12 cylinders in 1972).

why not just make a straight 16 and shove it in a Cadillac

You really think they would do that? Make an I16 and shove it in a Cadillac?

Been dun befo. Even supracharged.
youtu.be/p5y3a2did4E

you can't do it until you do it

Not an I8, but
>High revving
>Small displacement
>Two motorcycle blocks

Look up grand Prix engines from the 20s and 30s

Alfa's 8c being a shining example but also the Mercedes 300slr.

yea i saw this when i was looking , i was looking for something smaller and running like over 10k rpm stuffed in to something like a RX-3

>gets more difficult to manage twisty forces
Perfect for a low-torque, high speed motorbike engine. Straight 8 has the balance for 12k and really just the 'twisty forces' are ultra low on a motorbike engine. 2.6L straight 8 sounds good to me

crank whip

It's doable. It's just not very practical. Boats and trains have some pretty yuge crankshafts for instance, but that's a different set of design goals with a different answer that makes more sense.

Not many people would think a 2.6L V8 would be a very sensible idea for normie cars, even if you could probably find such a thing in an oddball racing application.

Name one inline 8 engine that uses a 2-piece block with bed plate with additional modern block reinforcements, a forged steel crankshaft and fully optimized rotating mass.... i dare you

>why hasn't anyone made a small displacement straight 8 , high rev engine, like by putting two motorcycle blocks together

Thought that through, haven't we?

what does he mean by this

no point

>tfw no motorbaiku powered by 10 RC wankels connected end to end

Why does the engine have 12 ports, shouldn't it be 8 or 16?

Shared exhaust ports.

Then why hasn't anyone made a small displacement v16 , high rev engine, like by putting four motorcycle blocks together
Oh wait, they did that too.