What does Veeky Forums think of crappy old chinese scooters?

What does Veeky Forums think of crappy old chinese scooters?

My in-laws have these 2 old GY6 50cc's they bought a few years ago and never used. Said if i can get them running, me and the wife can have them. Idk what we'd use them for but hell, they've got engines and I've got access to a load of tools and stuff while we're out here for the holidays.

So far I've only changed the oil in them, but here's a list of problems the parents gave me:

YELLOW
>fuel gauge does not work

BLACK
>speedo does not work

COMMON PROBLEMS
>both have been sitting in a shed for a few years, fuel and oil were not drained during this time
>batteries are old, hooked one up to a trickle charger to see if i can't at least get enough power to start one

Yellow bike has 600kms, black one has 100kms.

Anyone know anything about these little things? My research has led me to the conclusion that these are pretty simple bikes/engines/transmissions, but idk. I'll probably work on them a bit at a time because there's not much to do here (we're here till new years) but idk. We have a truck so if i do fix them and decide i actually want them i have a way to get them home.

Opinions?

Sounds like fun. First thing I ever did was wait until my parents weren't home so I could take apart the damn lawn mower and get it to run better since it's pretty shit when you have to mow the lawn and it keeps getting bogged down, misfiring, stalling, and dad doesn't even know you have to beat the air filter like a dirty whore every time to get all the dust and pollen out.

Sounds like a fun protect to get yourself started with mechanic work and engines.

The speedo and fuel gauge on those are very simple and easy to work on.

Whatever you do DO NOT fuck with the exhaust.

parts are easy to get and most are interchangeable with japanese counterparts without much modification

fuel gauge is a wire from the tank to the gauge

speedo is usually cable driven from front hub

buy new batteries, recharging old ones isnt worth your time

clean carb and new spark plug should do the trick

Drain the gas out of the float bowl, clean or replace spark plug, add fresh gas to tank, charge battery, shoot starting fluid into carb whilst cranking, enjoy.

You dried up, stinky, dick-licker!

Stay away from Chinese crap.
I work on scooters, and these bikes are gonna have more problems than you think. Parts aren't made any more, and they are a bitch to work on most of the time. That yellow bike is a copy of a Honda metropolitan I think, so that'd be your best bet.

But, after all that sitting you're gonna have jelled gas in the carb, and tank, cracking vacuum hoses, and prolly new tires.

Alright, update time. First, have a pic of the carb still attached to the inlet manifold and air cleaner (they refuse to come off kindly while on the bike)

UPDATES ON WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THE BIKES

>using the battery charger to get me up to 12.5+V on each battery, the scooters display the same thing when trying to start them
>starter motor audibly spins, but nothing happens
>cannot kick start the scooters either

I'm tearing the yellow one apart first and while removing the carb i encountered a stripped screw. While trying to drill it out, it took off the whole corner of the top bit of the carb, so it's toast. If i get then running with the black one's carb then I'll drop the $20 on a new one.

Either way, bout ti disassemble this carb. Bout -17c outside right now, -5 in the garage, so I'm doing this in the house

One thing i find amusing about this carb is that it has a screw that restricts the throttle to only open maybe 35%. In pic related, I'm pointing at it.

I'm removing the screw entirely because unless there's a really good reason for it being there, I'd imagine on a 50cc you pretty much need to deck it just to get basic acceleration.

Bad idea. It's a two stroke remember? Those things are ANGRY at the top end

It's a 4 stroke though.

That's to stop the linkage from breaking the throttle body

had one of these to commute to work when i was really poor.

pretty sure i overheated the thing every day because it started to lose compression after 1000kms.

so fucking slow and dangerous.

bump

Mkay, so I've got the non-broken carb all disassembled, cleaned, and sitting around. I'm soaking all the jets in carb cleaner overnight just because.

Before i took the other carb off, i verified that the engine on the black bike has compression, and i also have spark.

Have not checked anything on the yellow bike because until i get the black one up and going, not gonna fuck about with it (or spend the $20 for a non broken carb and then however much for new batteries)

Curious as to whether the electric starts are both shot, but as long as the kick start generates spark idgaf

Also wondering if it's flat out just too cold right now to safely turn the engines on. They run 15w40 oil and it's gonna be -25c on the coldest day this week. The garage is warmer but not by much (-5c lol) so maybe I'm just fucked.

Pic related is the gauge pod of the yellow one.

I have mixed feelings on chinese scooters. But I love old japanese scooters, you need to get a trail 90 before hipersters ruin them all.

i always meant to buy a Supercub/Passport, but they're stupidly expensive and for $1000+ I'd rather just buy a 500CC+ honda bike.

Yeah that's where the mixed feelings come into play. It is hard to find any japanese scooter for

The build """quality""" honestly seems like it's just a matter of re-doing like half the shitty wiring (lots of butt connectors and barely soldered connections fresh out of the factory), but idk, I have no experience with these. I figure if the engine and/or gearbox crap out, you just chuck the whole thing in the bin.

Hell, if I get these running I get them for free. Beat the piss out of them, WOT everywhere with the unrestricted throttle, maybe bigger carb jets, anything to pretty much A) defeat the purpose of the things (fuel sipping in-town transport) and B) kill them off as fast as I can.

My daily is a WRX so honestly it makes sense to own a reliable scooter to soak up the 5-10 km around town journeys while saving the car for fun backroads drives and long trips. I hear these things can do like 2.5L/100kms easy.

Then again, after extensive reading, these things are maintenance whores. Sure, oil changes and other basics aren't super time consuming, but it just seems like a lot of little jobs all the time instead of a few bigger ones less frequently like with cars. IDK if I like that.

push start them

don't spend a lot of money on them

if anything, cannibalize one to get the other one going

>push starting a scoot
Spot the nobie

Op, if it really is a gy6 clone parts will be plentiful and forums will have lots of fixes
Unbolt the CVT housing and check the starter, kickstart gear and belt
Try squirting a bit of oil down the sparkplug hole and get the engine to turn

My bike runs on 15w50, it takes about 5min of idling to get to normal temps, but it starts easy

If i were you i'd be checking the wiring harness right now
The carbs you can just disassemble and soak in carb cleaner

Check gasket and membranes are still healthy
Def consider a new carb, the forums will tell you whic fit

>2.5L/100kms easy
50cc 4 strokes from the factory do more like 1l/100

That's phenomenal if it's true.

Haven't touched the bikes today, been clearing snow from the driveway and the back patio. Got hit with a decent amount overnight, looking to get more in the next 24 hours ish.

Gonna head out to the store and buy some thinner oil and some other stuff like a turkey baster/eyedropper to bypass the carb and stick fuel in the intlet manifold via the vacuum port.

Might even have to bring the scoot inside the house to get it to fire if it's only gonna keep getting colder and colder.

Eh. Hope to get the one running by the end of the night.

> Crappy
Self explanatory.
> Chinese
Automatically shit.
> Scooter
GTFO. /n/ exists as containment for scooterfags.
> 50cc
Underpowered.

Why would you WANT them?

>Free
>Fun to beat the hell out of
>Interesting to tear apart to learn things about

Look, my teardowns of these things has shown me some pretty cool things that benchineering/learning from videos and wikipedia can't convey well.

Example - I'm endlessly fascinated at the simplicity of the CVT and I want to see it in motion.

Reassembling everything now, gonna try to get the black bitch fired up and see what happens from there.

Pic related is the scoot of dreams imo.