Simple question for car salesmen

I'm a (FUCKING) salesman.

I did pretty good my first two weeks. Sold 7 new cars.

Issue is, the people that bought from me were ready to pull the trigger the moment they walked in.

I spend 90% of my time working with customers that are fucking wrecks!

I swear to you some people come to the dealership just to smell the inside of a car that hasn't been urinated in.

They dress in their sunday best, puff out their chest, then in their most uptight James Spader in Pretty in Pink inflection, groan about how the new Lexus LS doesn't stay planted to the road the way a 7 Series does.

They go on and on about considering trading their Benz but "just don't feel like bringing it in" until we agree on price.

Then I ask for their credit so I can get their finance options and they come up with every excuse not to give it. When I present price, they immediately scoff and offer $12,000 less and pretend to have some Trump-sized balls and say "my final offer, take it or leave it", then I show them the door and watch them walk two lots over to get back into their 1996 Isuzu and putter on.

Please, salesmen, what is the easiest and quickest way to fucking SHAKE this information out of an up before proceeding to a test drive and demo?

If you're a price buyer, how do I know what price you want? They will always say "no no, payments no matter to me, price first", then I show them the sticker to a car before we even go for a drive, they proceed, and then cry about the price being $10,000 too much when we are through.

If you're a payment buyer, how do I know what you want to pay? I want to slap every stupid mother fucker that comes here and says they want to be at $350/mo. In what fucking world are these people doing their math? And then when I say "to get in that vehicle, we couldn't consider less than $950/mo, is this still feasible?" they nod, we drive, then they cry that I can't "split the difference" and get it to $400.

How can I stop wasting my time and kick the bums out???

>tell them you can't do less than $1900/month
>split the difference
>still get your nine hundred and fifty shekels every month

Ask for a credit run before the test drive

It's all about smelling the bullshit as soon as possible. Like your example could have ended if you paid attention to the car they pulled up in. Second art is how to blow them off or when to just roll with it and see what happens. Because sometimes people do have a shit car and have been saving up for a new Lexus or are socially awkward/intimidated by the buying process.

that shit doesn't fly. I've had customers that buy and didn't let me pull credit until they were signed on the price. If you push them like that, they scoff and go down the street about 4 miles and buy from our competitor.

some people are good, real good. One time I had a guy show up in a late model luxury SUV, dressed nicely with his wife too. He sounded no differently than any of our well-to-do buyers, until I took him inside after the test drive. He lost his nerve and his final resort to save face and not just admit he was out of his league was to offer about $6,000 below our invoice and say "final offer".

I just don't know how to qualify these people before going any further. NOBODY that I talk to ever has an answer. You can google sales tips all day and they answer everything EXCEPT this! It's the one fucking thing that can't just be passed around and learned!

Why does any of this matter? Your job is to show cars to everyone that walks through the door. Do your job.

That's a fucking lie. I watch the A-team (the 3 top sellers, averaging 25 sales per month) chuck people out the door all day. They make the best use of their time and don't dally around.

Somehow they can tell a scrub when they see them...

Also, you've never worked in a dealership if you've never witnessed this. I'm telling you, some people go to look at cars just to smell them and get attention. They feign disinterest and act somehow disgusted by the price, as if they had money and it was worth more than money.

you're mad because people get to troll the shit out of you

>Please, salesmen, what is the easiest and quickest way to fucking SHAKE this information out of an up before proceeding to a test drive and demo?
A good salesman just knows people. A great salesman, Dicky Fox, once said "unless you live everybody, you can't sell anybody"

I looked like James Spader when he and I was younger. I have never gotten dressed up to buy a car, why the fuck would you do that.. 90% of the time it's an appliance.

I pulled up in my 2000 ford ranger rust bucket to purchase a brand new gmc sierra elevation loaded to the balls. The salesman they sent to talk to me said "haha this version is a little pricey for you lets look at this shitbox 2012 v6 work truck we have for just 25999" I told him I was set on the Sierra he said it's a beautiful truck but most likely out of my budget. I left and came back the next day and asked for the manager because I couldn't find the same truck within the province. He sent me to another salesman and the other guy watched me purchase a 47K(after tax and all)

if your having trouble reading people, look at their shoes

I fucking hate poorfag hagglers thinking god's gift to the deal. And I hate even more fucking Cigarette-and-a-tie sales droids that are constantly looking to fuck me.

My last deal I took my car to CarMax and got an offer on my trade. I then subtracted 7% from that to get the minimum I could take on trade (sales tax exemption in my state).

I looked up "invoice", added 2% profit, then found the car I wanted for my offer. I test drove it, OK fine. Then I took my offer, subtracted my lowball trade price, and said "My car, plus $xxxxx dollars, and we can do the deal. Go talk to your manager. " They countered with a higher figure, but it would then make sense to sell the car to CarMax. So we did the deal cash, I drove my trade across the street to CarMax and grabbed a check. 1 hour total time. Done.

I understand all the shit about incentives, holdbacks, special promotions and all that shit, so I know they are making good money. My offer was fair and hassle free, and they got the time to sell another "UP".

Is it true that test drivers are not liable for any damages incurred during a test drive?

Yes, unless you provide false information.

You must work at a poor people brand dealership. Nissan?

The word Lexus is literally in his post.

Nissan?

Your post is so needlessly convoluted.
Is English even your main language?

That's infiniti.

Why not ask them how? Indirectly, of course.

I went into a dealership last week to buy a van and all the sales guys were so genuinely surprised and excited when I told them I wanted to buy it. I don't know what the fuck they were expecting. Yes, I came to a dealership to buy a car. What the fuck is so surprising about that you dumb fucks

It's a balance. You have to be careful because you never know what someone has, but there are also clues. Watches, clothing and shoes are a useless indicator, as anons have mentioned. Watches you end up learning really well because a lot of really high end watches look like shit, it's not always as obvious as a gold rolex (which, btw, if you are selling ultra high end cars, the richest people tend not to wear because they've moved on to more interesting ones). But it's all just a tool.

I also judge people on how well they speak. Wealthier people tend to be well spoken because they could afford an education. It's also how they are put together, not so much the price tag of their clothing, but just if it is clean and not worn out.

Some of it is a feeling you get. I grew up lower middle class but in a really rich neighborhood (my mom was a nanny for a billionaire family), so I got the advantage of being USED to rich people and how they act and how they think. I've noticed salesmen that don't have this experience have a harder time telling the real buyers from the fakes than I do.

Again, I give you the warning that this is all just a tool and can't be a final judgement. I've seen people wearing ripped jean shorts and a wife beater half drunk buy 100k+ cars. But that's an exception rather than the rule. The key is to be kind to everyone, and to learn how to blow them off really politely and make them feel like they are getting blown off. You'll fuck up, and it happens. You have limited amount of time and you are doing your best, so just take your fuckups as learning experiences. But be kind and don't be the dealer that is like "oohhh this is more your speed" and shows them the shitbox.

t. highest grossing salesmen 5 years in a row in a Land Rover dealership

For fuck sake did anyone teach you how to sell? WTF man! Why do you let the customer take control of the sales process?

What I always did when taking the up back to my desk to gather their info (FIRST thing to do after greeting them is to get them inside and over to your desk) was explain how the sale would go down and ask if that was ok for them (i.e. info gathering, then product presentation, then test drive, then trade in appraisal, then numbers). If it's ok, then you bring it back up when they get fishy. If it's not ok there's the door. It's not worth your time, and trying to close 100% of your ups will leave you unemployed.

The A team doesn't get 25 sales a month by selling to ups goddamnit. The A team is there because they are either established and work off of referrals, or are spoon fed sales because they're friends with the owner. Since you are obviously not being spoon fed sales you can't be that guy. You need to establish a referral network YESTERDAY because people who deal with lot ups all day every day don't make it in your business.

>selling a car to CarMax
kek you done got screwed, unless your time is actually that valuable.

I know the dream team here is reaching into their bucket of 14+ years of referrals and repeats, but I watch people go to their desk and get shown the door in a matter of minutes because it's just not in their budget.

What's the best way of knowing their budget right away? Without being rude, how do you ask "what kind of payment did you consider for this $60,000 vehicle?" when they tell you "oooooh I dunno, why are we talking about it I wanna see the car first!"

I know the process, I start with qualifying questions, but it will always go like this:

"And for a vehicle like this, everything you ever dreamed of, all the options you discussed with your wife, just the right color....you'd be able to take it home for $900/mo today?"
"OH WELL you know it comes down to if I like it, I can't say until I drive it!"
"Ok but $900 isn't out of our range for a vehicle like this?"
"No, er uh, well, what does it matter if we don't like the car huh? Why are we talking about this? Sure we can do your price if it's right but we'lol talk about that later!"

This goes two ways.

1. We work it out, second pencil deal.
2. "$900!!!??? Phew! Man I could do $400 with $0 down"

New-ish to sales, can anyone provide tips on indirectly coaxing information out of buyers?

Conversation. Come at something kinda roundabout and they'll volunteer more than you wanted. What info are you after?

talk to them. Run far away from niggers and gangbangers.

I mean, surely you require their insurance and ID before the test drive, just add the credit check in with that, it doesn't sound too difficult, or out of reason to gauge their qualifications to even look at the car.

"Oh, it looks like you're making 20,000 as head of the household with a wife and three kids. Maybe this $60,000 BMW X3 isn't quite up your alley, here's a great 2005 Toyota Rav 4 that is up to the task!"

>*scoffs and leaves*

I never get why low income people want such expensive cars. Is getting something practical really THAT humiliating?

a good salesperson doesn't need to run a credit check, you can get a good understanding, generally, of somebodies income and wealth by talking to them.

"what kind of work are you in"
"i'm a retail clerk"
"get the fuck out of here"

"what kind of work do you do"
"software developer"
"sweet"

We're talking to a bad salesperson here, not a good one.

Going to debt at all for a car is beyond me.

If you can't save up and afford you, you can't afford it.

>if your having trouble reading people, look at their shoes

Works except for MANY small businessmen who dress blue collar and have buckets of money. I learned that at dealer auctions when guys who dressed like line mechanics pulled out wads of hundreds to buy in cash.

I'm an engineer and they always think I make way more than I do. (good thing I'm a trust funder)

>all the sales guys were so genuinely surprised and excited

You must think hookers love you. :)

Practicality is overrated.You're poor and you're always going to BE poor so may as well just say Fuck It and enjoy something even if it is some crappy faux luxury car that's had five prior owners.

They always try to relate to me by talking about their iphone or something.

people like you dont last long in the sales industry

you see people coming in looking to buy a car as an """"""""""""""""""""up""""""""""""""""

>I never get why low income people want such expensive cars. Is getting something practical really THAT humiliating?

I sold used cars and you need to know how important fronting is to low speed humans. I own fifteen year old trucks because I follow the example of my dealerbros, but poorfucks are PRIDEFUL.

If you don't have any deals you can sell them off your lot, make friends with a used car dealer who has popular nigmobiles and send him some business. It's all about networking. I wouldn't buy a German car if I hit the lottery, nor a Cadillac or Lincoln. We kept those in stock to sell to the boons and they were repeat customers.

BTW there's a legal way to take payments which reflect interest but are technically not. Say we have a $5K vehicle. It's an 8K vehicle over two years of payments. We set up the payment accordingly but since there is NO interest because we NEVER "finance" the customer still owes the agreed total even if they paid it off the next day. We make sure the down payment clears or is close to clearing our cost, and we tell the customer if they cannot make payments bring the vehicle back and we can "work something out" (to our advantage). We then work a deal for a cheap ride where our total real profit is even greater.

My boss had generations of extended families buy from him. He retired a wealthy man.

> :)
Two points on your license, un4chanlike conduct.
Use an image next time, wanker.

how much room do you guys actually have to move on a car?

i have a high 700 credit score and its only after emailing and calling two different dealerships to compare offers that i get them to actually give me money off and a lower interest rate.
maybe people would respect you more if you just say this is the price this is what i can do upfront instead of me taking the time to fuck around.

Maybe people would respect you more if you financed your own money, or were capable of affording the car at the time of purchase.

You don't quite understand. They aren't actually surprised that they can't afford a new LS, they're pretending to be offended by the price so they can walk out and make it look like WE lost the deal, not that they're broke.

I caught somebody in this once. I asked him about price and he said he would buy something for $53,000. I found one I could work with and said "look it's $3,000 under budget!" He stuttered and fumbled and said "yeah sure but I wouldn't pay $50,000 for THAT PARTICULAR car..."
He quit grinning and puffing his chest out, started getting nervous and moving too much, I told my manager "this guy's snowing us, just talk before I show him the door". When my manager didn't believe me, he made an offer for the truck the customer said he WOULD pay $53,000 for, and the customer lowered his budget.... He said he would take that same truck home for $45,000. Sorry sir, please get the fuck out.

>BTW there's a legal way to take payments which reflect interest but are technically not. Say we have a $5K vehicle. It's an 8K vehicle over two years of payments. We set up the payment accordingly but since there is NO interest because we NEVER "finance" the customer still owes the agreed total even if they paid it off the next day. We make sure the down payment clears or is close to clearing our cost, and we tell the customer if they cannot make payments bring the vehicle back and we can "work something out" (to our advantage). We then work a deal for a cheap ride where our total real profit is even greater.

I don't understand the first part. Pay full interest price without it counting as interest? So tell them it's 0.0% interest?

Not much. We lose our ass on at least half of cars. We make money on service.

Consider there are how many auto makers? Now how many of these competitors in a low-profit-margin market are willing to lose business to another company over a few hundred dollars? I may not make all of my MSRP, but if the difference is that I make $100 and earn a customer or $0 I'll take the $100 profit margin.

In the same way you are trying to pay the least for a car they are trying to get you to pay the most.

They do generally get 'kickbacks' from the banks the partner with on financing. So more often than not the dealership would be more than happy to have you finance through them.

Want to save time. email or call them, tell them your credit score, know before hand what the lowest interest rate you can get will be, ask the the salesguy what price he will give you on the car if you finance through him at a rate in the ballpark of what you know your rate can be.

The salesperson is either going to give you a number or fuck around with you. If he is fucking around buy the car from someplace else.

I know friendly conversation is the gateway to most information. I'm mostly looking at ways to determine someone's willingness to actually buy. I can pick up on verbal cues pretty well, but some people are more reserved and body language cues are more difficult in sales than other places.

If they're at a car lot, they want one of two things, and potentially both if they can play their cards right.

They want to agree to the terms on a car.
And they might also want to test drive that 6-speed Corvette that's front and center.

you let the plebs that are honestly not going to buy the corvette, drive the corvette? I know they are shitboxes but not as big of a shitbox as the rest of your crap

I dress like I don't care, and was without a doubt the least classy dude at any dealer I go to. I pay cash too. Maybe its because I always make contact first and let it be know I will be making a 3 hour drive but I've never once been treated as anything less than a king.

Calling ahead for sure helps. A sign you are likely really shopping and not just looking for something to do while you kill time on the weekend

>Is it true that test drivers are not liable for any damages incurred during a test drive?
The dealer checks to see you have a valid driver's license and existing proof of auto insurance. State law requires that. But it is the dealer's insurance that covers test drives unless (as the other poster said) you have provided false information. If you damage the car and then try to make the dealer's insurance eat it, that is a crime and you will be charged with criminal fraud since you provided false information in order to obtain the test drive. This is probably standard in pretty much all usa states.

You are right, but in practice the scumbags that provide false information have no money anyways so the dealership eats it. Costs more to go after them. :/

OP here

Upfront I ask them "hey what're we doing today? Ready to drive something home if all sounds fair?"
"No just looking"
"What are we just looking for?"
"I'm thinking another sedan like my last one"
"Great, you know the new ones now come with four wheels and tires standard. Let me ask, how soon are we planning to make a move?"

>tfw accidentally probably made a dealer feel like this the other day
I was looking to buy a FoST and found one with a day registration (6km on the odometer) at a dealership 30 miles away. Almost fully specced, nice color, €33k (MSRP was something like 38).

Went there, took it for a drive, talked to the guy afterwards for almost an hour, just trying to see how low he would go. Tried to get him down to €27500, settled on 30k, told him I'd think about it and be in touch.

Went to my local Ford dealer with his offer and they offered me a brand new one for the same price.

Shot the first guy an email the next day just to be fair and give him a chance to respond. He never did.

Probably thought I was trying to rip him off. Poor guy.

>"I couldn't tell you, but I can guarantee it will be with a salesman who isn't a douche."
Faggots like you never last long.

The fuck are you even talking about? That's a qualifying question EVERY salesman here asks off the fucking bat. You aren't TELLING them to buy or fuck off, you're asking if they are buying today. If not, don't pressure them. If they are, keep reminding them that you're ready to make a deal today. Keep using the word today so they stay motivated.

"So you like it, this is the car for you? Great, so you're ready to take it home today if all turns out fair?"

Not one salesman has ever asked me that and if they did I would tell them to fuck right off.

>"Great, you know the new ones now come with four wheels and tires standard. Let me ask, how soon are we planning to make a move?"
Better be smooth to pitch that line. Average autist here I walk.

>let it be know I will be making a 3 hour drive

Not every Tom, Dick and Harry just drives 3 hours to buy a car though, thats why they got excited. Your either a retired Boomer with a lot of time on your hands or someone looking to buy.

>the new ones now come with four wheels and tires standard

[Vomits internally]

They move quick because they've been lied to for 14 years and can pick up on the bullshitters by their body language and word choices. Not exactly sure how you can learn that without actually experiencing it for yourself unfortunately.

As far as you're concerned, you'll have to give each customer a chance until you can pick up on it too. Ask them right away in the qualifying process what kind of payment they are looking for. If they're expecting a $400 monthly payment on a $60k car. Introduce them to reality from the get go, or show them what a $400 car payment really looks like. The choice is theirs.

They already said $900 a month was in their budget. Why are they suddenly changing their mind? Ask!

This

There's a reason there will always be poor people...

Meh... different strokes for different folks. What works best for you isn't best for everyone.

If you could easily make 10% off your money in the market, and your car loan was only 4%, I bet you wouldn't feel the same way now would you?

Same thing goes for vehicle leases. Not my cup of tea because I'm a car guy, but for people who look at a car look a washing machine...

Damn you subprime guys are crafty. There's a guy who runs a "Buy here pay here" lot and on average he sells his cars 8 times before someone can actually pay it off.

Not much. It aint what it used to be. The internet and over competition really hit our margins good. Pretty much what says.

You are a salesman's best friend! If one of my old clients called me to tell me he was driving 3+ hours to see me of course he'd get the royal treatment. Nobody drives 3 hours to "just look" haha.

>Nobody drives 3 hours to "just look" haha.
Which hurts negation, but if I wouldn't pay asking I wouldn't bother driving.

Regardless, even local when I want to just browse I tell the salesman so, and if they offer a test drive I tell them upfront I will not buy today but would be more than willing to test drive and sleep on it.

Maybe its cuz I'm white, dress like a hobo, but don't front like I can't back it up? Either way I avoid any dealer that doesn't sell new.

>They already said $900 a month was in their budget. Why are they suddenly changing their mind? Ask!

I still don't think some people understood my post. They are just bullshitting. They just want to look at things they can't afford. It's the same reason nice guns are in glass cases at the gun show or have giant "DO NOT TOUCH" signs; people just wanna fucking touch.

It's a filler for Veeky Forums, plebs. Obviously I'm not going to take time to type the differences in there.

No salesman has ever asked if you're buying today or just looking?

If I was looking at some $20k shitbox Kia and you quoted me a $900 payment upon greet I would walk out. I can't see insulting somebody's intelligence as a solid sales method.

Bro do you know how much an RX goes for?

>No salesman has ever asked if you're buying today or just looking?

Yeah, the guy at my local Best Buy or the gal at American Eagle, or any of those poor fucks who work in a myriad of brand stores.

but the point is you're a car salesman, not some starving college student trying to sell some cables/pants so you can get paid 8 bucks an hour. You need to be smooth, read within the lines and watch how people behave. If anything I would tell you to wait tables cause it involves a lot of the same skills, but people tend to ignore you so get a better chance at watching how they behave.

There's a reason why we tell the guy at Best Buy and the gal at American Eagle we're "just looking" it's the same reason why our eyes glaze over when we're being told about their rewards program we're not interested on, it's because we don't want to deal with that shit.

True.

I walked into a dealership this summer to get my wife a new truck. Dressed like a slob, trimmed my beard down to look like I'm in my early 20s.

Found the right truck. Got the "how much do you want to pay per month" question. Ah, ok. Say "$600". Saleswoman eyes me up and down. She asks to run a credit check. Say "no, not yet..."

Gently haggled trade in value until it was just shy of even.

Number turns into $750/mo.

"Get it to $720 and we have a deal."

She hands me a credit application.

I write in $12,000 as net pay per month for me alone.

She eyes it and starts to go "uhhh" but stops as she looks in the job title box.

From a buyer's perspective:
>Do not reveal your hand
>Know their margin limitations
>Know how interest is calculated

It's worth mentioning we traded in a truck at a loss because it needed a new transmission. Seems I forgot to mention that part - how $600/mo turned into $750/mo...

Ask more feeler questions. Everyone wants a cheap car payment. Most serious people have gone over their budget and have a comfortable range to pay. Get that upper limit out of them! If you're just looking you won't have that number readily available and will start bullshitting there.

I can talk in circles all day but it all comes down to drawing out their bluffs as quickly as possible and calling them on it.

I'm beginning to think the problem is more you don't have the confidence to call people out on their bullshit.

>Wahh I'm a car salesman why do people treat me like shit
Because you are shit

>easiest and quickest way to fucking SHAKE this information out of an up before proceeding to a test drive and demo?
Use a decent crm.

Maybe try toyota?

That's a great move OP

Now I want to watch it again.

want to buy ~$20k second hand charger, i only make about $2k a month, how fucked am i?
first time buyer with no credit btw
:^)

How can you expect to be god-tier after only 2 weeks? Give yourself a break!

>What I always did when taking the up back to my desk to gather their info (FIRST thing to do after greeting them is to get them inside and over to your desk) was explain how the sale would go down and ask if that was ok for them (i.e. info gathering, then product presentation, then test drive, then trade in appraisal, then numbers). If it's ok, then you bring it back up when they get fishy. If it's not ok there's the door. It's not worth your time, and trying to close 100% of your ups will leave you unemployed.

OP here. This is the most impactful statement in this entire thread. I'll update after work tomorrow if this thread is still here. Although, we aren't getting a lot of ups. It's too cold to have people just strolling in. Next week is supposed to begin the frenzy, though...

So who am I.
I dress well (not on purpose, I just typically dress like a southern frat boy out of habit), I call ahead of time to see if they have a model of car I'm interested in and if so to set up an appointment, I act polite and interested and manage to fandangle my way into a test drive first and foremost and I don't take anything else for an answer...but they never fight me on it, they're more than willing to oblige.

Then as soon as I'm done, I tell them goodbye, and shake off their "But what about trying one of the other cars-" with "Sorry, not today, I need to think on it more, I'll keep in touch."

They always look at a loss when I just leave and brush them off. Am I an asshole or do they just suck at their jobs?

Fwiw I never intend to buy Cara anyway. I don't take Loans, ever, I don't even have a credit card and pay for everything up front without fail but I don't have enough money to buy a good car so there's no chance of me actually wanting to go through with a purchase.

My ex is someone who dropped out during archidecture degree, does graphic design on the side but works as a clerk in a window company.

She has been caught time and time again telling people she's a freelance graphic designer and an archidect.

That's what I don't get, though. Then it breaks the fuck down and you're getting fucked over yet again.

It's like a woman picking a man who beats her. It's hilarious, depressing, and totally insane.

Helpful user responding back.

Another thing to remember... if you get ups in this weather. Treat them like royalty! If they're willing to walk through the snow and deal with the cold they're most likely for sure buyers!

>This guy knows whats up

A-Are you already a car salesman ? @.@

What did you think was going to happen? Being a car salesman is a decent paying job that requires no credentials or education. Just like working on an oil rig. On an oil rig the catch is you usually have to live away from home, and it's dangerous work. For car salesman it's that you have to deal with assholes all day, and the vast majority of people don't really respect you they think you're a grease ball no matter how fancy the car's you sell happen to be.
That's not my opinion of car salesman most the ones I've dealt with were decent.

what a depressing looking lot. I think I'd hang myself if I was a used car salesmen working in the north like that.

That's what lots usually look like in regions that get actual seasons unlike your Florida butthole.

GENERALLY SPEAKING DEALERSHIPS CAN ONLY MOVE 2-3 GRAND ON MOST DESIRABLE CARS

THAT BEING SAID THE INTREST ON YOUR LOAN WILL BE AT LEAST THAT

THEN THE SALES TAX WILL BE THAT AGAIN

THEY WONT FIGURE ANY OF THIS OUT FOR YOU

RUN YOUR NUMBERS AND KNOW WHAT THE MOST YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE CAR IS BEFORE U EVEN GET ON THE LOT

OTHERWISE THEY WILL RUN A TRAIN ON YOU

I sell mattresses and i get the same stuff. People think if they bring in $100 that they will walk out with a top of line Tempur Pedic on an adjustable base. There is just no getting around it.

Im new to sales myself. I have been reading books on sales and one good piece of advice is to reach out to the top salesman that you work with and ask him/her how they build rapport with the customer to close the sale. Building rapport goes a LONG way. If you can get on a friendly/ personal level with a customer then you have a much better chance of closing the sale.

I know, but man that brown slush with those shitbox cars. I mean those chevy's are depressing in a "poorfag sports car" sort of way, but what really gets me is those buicks beyond it. Then I can't imagine working with a bunch over overweight uneducated failure dealers completing over struggling middle class losers to buy these shitboxes.

I know I'm coming off as a complete asshole, and I don't deny I am one. I'm not knocking your profession or situation really, but, just being honest.

I bought one of those last year. Not the top of the line one, but one down from it. I like it. I mean it's just closed cell foam, complete ripoff, but I don't have time to dealshop it.

I'd say it's harder to build a rapport selling mattresses rather than cars though. I mean I can remember my car dealer, I have no fucking idea who sold me my mattress. Some brown broad with a big ass.

At what point do you consider financing a car worth it? What should be my price point for a car? I make 24k a year before taxes(live in cali) and evidently have 800+ in stocks at current market value.

Would I get laughed out the door walking into a a used car dealership and asking about the 25k Camaro SS? or should I walk straight to the FRSs?

I genuinely feel bad for wasting their time being so poor but they talk me into it.

I want a RWD car that handles and can be made to go fest, what are my choices besides saving up for goddamn years which I have no patience for.

I love this thread. So interesting. Thanks dealers and good question askers!

I hope someone better will answer your question, but I work in boat sales and can tell you that a lot of sales on the lower end shit is all about "can I get this guy financed." I highly doubt they'll feel it is a waste of time trying to get you financed on something.

That said, I'd recommend when it comes to a car, that you buy something you can afford cash.

Don't believe the Veeky Forums hate, financing a car is a perfectly viable option as long as you can get a good deal with low interest. You definitely won't be laughed at, the sales people just wanna get you into a car as soon as they can.
Also, always ask if the car's still under the manufacturer warranty.

OP here.

So if nobody has gathered, yes I sell Lexus.

However, I've always considered Lexus my second choice. If Lincoln didn't exist I would definitely drive ONLY a Lexus.

So there's the rub. I love Lincoln, I can get very passionate about it and have long relatable conversation with people that remember their 60's or 70's Continental. I wear Lincoln pins, or cufflinks, and always have my Lincoln keychain showing. I have a picture of Henry Ford over my desk. I think it's time to move over to my first passion.

As well, I feel like people that care about Lincoln REALLY care. They aren't going there just to find out what a Lincoln is, they know the heritage and have been driving them for generations. Just yesterday I prospected a woman who said she was driving her mom's passed down Town Car and their family has ONLY ever owned Lincolns since the early 60's.

Toyota doesn't have that heritage and lineage.

So people that just want to smell like money for a few minutes will go to the Caddy store and waste their time. Lincoln people are select and few and HARD to turn. If you come into a Lincoln lot, it's probably not because the new Continental is "hip" and on every Lil Jizzy rap video.

Fact: I see welfare queens driving new Caddy'a and living in Section 8 housing every day. I never see somebody under 40 in a new Lincoln.

Any Lincoln salesmen have insight?

Gonna be honest, fresh out of high-school, looking to buy a truck for under 10k, no credit history, I've got 4k saved up, almost 5k by the end of the year. Would dealers even bother with me and possibly finance the rest?

>I wear Lincoln pins, or cufflinks, and always have my Lincoln keychain showing.

You young punks don't understand class. Go buy a Cadillac and slap some REEYUMZ on it. TWUNNY TOOOOOOOOZ!!!

My dad owned GM stores and luxury sports car dealerships when I was a kid. He loved the sports cars, and those made money, but the real money was in pumping out volume with GM stores.

You gotta have some passion with what you do, but if you are going to be good at selling cars, it's because you enjoy selling cars more than have a boner over the actual cars. Sure there are exceptions, but I've probably met thousands of car salesmen in my lifetime and the ones that were the best weren't the autistic types that stroked off over the brands. They were the ones that knew the shit but also knew how to sell and loved the game of selling and making deals.