Volvo Thread

Get in here my fellow bricks

Other urls found in this thread:

topclassiccarsforsale.com/volvo/251611-volvo-264-te-034top-executive034-limo.html
orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5919741175.html
carsales.com.au/private/details/Volvo-360-1985/SSE-AD-3752424/?Cr=9
ebay.com/itm/Billet-Engine-Swap-Bracket-SBC-LS-Conversion-Motor-Mount-Adjustable-Plate-LS1-LS-/142206889173
speedwaymotors.com/LS1-EFI-Fuel-Pump-And-Regulator-Filter-Kit,41792.html
autoevolution.com/cars/saab-9000-cs-1991.html#aeng_saab-9000-cs-1991-23-turbo
autoevolution.com/cars/volvo-850-estate-1993.html#aeng_volvo-850-estate-1993-23i-turbo-226-hp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg

I love the 140 series, probably my favorite cars of all time. Here's the one I used to have four years ago, should never have sold it

Here's what the new owner did with it

Aaand here's what I've just made a deal on that I'm flying out and picking up next month

Someone want to fill me in on volvo?

In terms of reliability, how do they overall compare to other European car makers?

The older rwd Volvos are indestructible and pretty fun to drive, I think they are generally viewed as the most reliable euro marque of the time? I also had an 850R, and it had a lot of minor things going wrong all the time electrical -wise, but it was still fun to drive and the engine sounded great. I am not sure what other guys have experienced with fwd Volvos though, but I prefer the older ones.

>Trying to find a 242 turbo on craigslist that's not 5000+ dollars.
>6 months
>Still waiting

I own a 2000 S80 2.9
engine sounds nice and is pretty smooth
reliability is really bad on 2000s stuff though, every week something new goes wrong and when it's big it gets very expensive to repair
never owned anything older but I've always wanted a 240 sedan

forgot to mention, it's FWD (duh) and surprisingly nimble considering how fucking huge and heavy it is
fairly fun to drive, but it seems to have moods, especially the engine
sometimes it'll get great power off the line and whoosh you up to 60 without breaking a sweat, sometimes it'll wimp out and whine about having to do work before moaning you up to the speed you need
60-70 is slow as fuck, 70-80 barely happens, pretty sure 80-90 is impossible without a hill and a tailwind
I'd never buy another one but I do love this car

>Reporting
My 850 platinum would recommend a volvo to anyone who asks I'm a lifelong fan after this car.

Drive chain should go forever, everything gets changed in half leaps so some 140 stuff fits on a 240 etc

But you will get the normal issues as with any car, plastic interior breaking, leaky engines etc

Mistakes have been made.

anything made after 2000 is shit because they have electronic throttles that are known to fail.

97 855T5 reporting,

Needed motor mounts, pcv, intake gasket, turbo controls an o2 sensor and suspension bushings to get it up to snuff but it's been doing arctic commute duty for 3 years now with no issues. Just put bosch whites and an R tune ecu in this summer.

?
That car is dope, you're high

i-i'm a real Volvo, i promise....

Chinese impostor!

b-but look at me! soo much space in the back!

>bought fwd volvo
>bought volvo with non flat-folding seats

at least i have a turbo? i'm cool now, right?

Your car is like a adopted child who simply uses the family name.

Youre not one of us

Just buy N/A and slap a turbo on it

kek, this.

Sup volvbros! Racking up the miles on my 245 as usual. Just turned 270k (approx.) and already 300 more tacked on.

A 93 244 hit the yard just before the weekend, so I ran out there Sat to grab what I could. '93 had a couple one year only items(last year for the 240). This includes heated power mirrors and a flip up cupholder armrest. When I got there the armrest and center console were gone, and someone had snipped the wires for the power mirror adjusters! As I'm poking around a bro comes up and we get talking, told him about the console and he admitted he took it and cut the wires. Turns out he's an 850 bro who just got an '87 245 and luckily he had left the plugs for the adjusters in an 850 in the yard. I ended up scoring the mirrors with wiring (minus the adjusters, he said he will let me have them) and the wheel spacers since it had fwd wheels on; all for $80.

So in other news; There has been a black 245 parking in the lot at my work that I parked next to a few times (only once a week usually). I never saw the owner in the 3-4 times I parked next to it, until Monday. I just started my lunch break and saw a dude with the hood up and trying to jump it with a friends car. It was cranking but no start. Batt had 12.3 volts, fuel pressure relay was clicking, both pumps working, had spark. I told him if he left me the key and his number I would poke around more. I pulled the #1 plug and verified it was getting spark, I could smell fuel after cranking; I pulled the top of the timing belt cover and verified timing was correct. Scratching my head I walked around the car, and found the gas cap was cross threaded. Corrected that and after 3 more attempts if fired up but struggled to idle, brought the rpms up slowly and it idled fine when it came down. Started up every attempt after, so with out a proper diagnosis I can only assume the fuel filter is restricting flow (he said he has no idea when it was changed) or the Engine Coolant Temp sensor is faulty. He said he and his mom share the car, and it's been pretty neglected. It had a massive leak from the water pump gasket, the drivers door handle was fubar, tail gate hinge wiring all broken (some typical 240 stuff here but still...). I told him I got it running and he picked it up that night; called me a day or two later and said it as having charging issues. Told him to check the batt and alt +voltage reg, have yet to hear back. I told them I could put in a new WP and maybe check some other things out. We'll see. I need time for my own cars, but they'll pay.

>be me
>buy 89 244 dl
>replace radiator
>vaccum lines
>battery
>starter
> a ton of smalls
>doesnt start
>everything that would cause it not to start is working

>neutral saftey switch was disengaged

I was so fucking mad

Ah yes, I dug into this as well and found once of the screws loose, but couldn't determine if that was causing the no start. I haven't dug into a neutral safety switch on these yet. I know starting in 91 they put in a shift lock mech thats a PIA, (car is a 91). I think they might be the same neutral safety switch though.

b-but i have like 180 horsepower...

Buzz off, the cara were still made by Volvo for the majority of the Ford years

Now for the China years..

Do the temp sensor, thats exactly what mine was doing

They are still built in Sweden and are very good cars these days

theres one for sale on turbobricks right now I think

also Volvo related

What state are you in senpai? Im in PA, 717 to be exact.

I'm in Baltimore. Dylan?

mmmmmm ye

Just bought this brick for $100

So i picked up a b234 head last friday, so my.
Have i dun goofed?

no, good find. I've got one too, not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. Are you trying to put in a 240?

fug yes, good buy m8! Check the engine wiring harness for bio-degrading. The early 80s ones were known for it, but you can get a new one from davebarton.com. Good luck!

wow thats awesome! What year?

Are the valves okay? Usually those heads have bent valves as timing belt idler sucks

No, but I know Dylan.

Went from an 850 n/a to this. I prefer the new school. As hard as it was to find a M66R, it'd be twice as hard to find a good brick

they are going to bully you and tell you it isn't a real volvo

t. V40 owner

it's going in a 940, i'm thinking of making a destroker engine
Stupid question: How do i see if the valves are bent?

werd. I'm the dude who sold him the 850 front lip. Do you have a 240 too?

at least is awd (albeit dodgy) m8.

No Ive got a 96 850 GLT wagon im actually trying to get rid of... if you know anyone looking for one. $650 gets it.

topclassiccarsforsale.com/volvo/251611-volvo-264-te-034top-executive034-limo.html

Muh Fucking Dick!

Cool, I know an 850 guy, what's the skinny on it? You want to set up a burner email or whatever so I can let you know if hes down?

hhhhnnnngggg. Worth fucking with a PRV over!

What do you guys think of the 262c?
I'd probably pick this up if it wasnt so far away.
orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5919741175.html

>Volvo is Chinese now
what the fuck
when did that happen

Almost 3 weeks ago I bought my first car. A 1998 940 Station with comfort line options. Getting to know the car and I have found some things that need mending. But nothing big. I love riding in it and the Space it has. I hope it keeps me Safe when I love to Finland next Spring.

Its been in my family since 97-98. My dad used it, my sister used it, then I got it in 2012. The head was rebuilt around 170k. The water pump.had gone and 4 valves got bent. New timing belt put in in 2014. New rack and pinion put in last year. New struts, shitty off brand but I put under 20 miles on them. New brakes, new rotors. The Odometer broke a few years ago at 236k. Its been well maintained and ive always changed/kept up with the oil bc there is some blow by. Will need a drivers side door and passenger. I was going to find parts but decieded to focus on my 240 instead.Will need new tires and an alignment, but shes sturdy and shes reliable. Unfortunately I cant keep her.

Pic related, but she has beauty guff on the lip from a snow bank now.

Its 717 here.

You on the gram?

stay away if it has the v-6

Oh believe me I know the PRV sucks ass. That one has a v8.

I put my bike up for sale, and if it sells I've been kicking around the idea of buying a V70R and selling my Jeep. I like both generations, but prefer the 2nd gen. Are V70Rs(both generations) good cars? How are they as far as reliability and cost of repairs/maintenance goes?

I owned one with plans on doing what you have there. in the end it was going to be too much time and money.
the interior is nice tho and that chopped top is sexy as hell

>tbi 350
that engine is literally trash, why the fuck did they even waste their time on that?
at least you could rip it out and put a 5.3 in its place I guess, still a lot of work to wire all that up though.

You can easily get 200+ out of a b230 turbo just by chiptuning it and raising the boost, and close to 300 if you put bigger injectors on it.

I really like what he did with it, and I'm at least glad that the car went to a good home. But for my new one I'm probably going to keep it beige and stock looking on widened steelies. It's already got a high compression B20E with a hotter cam and all the iPD suspension stuff.
My knowledge is limited outside old volvo and porsche; but knowing its a shit engine at least makes it seem less like I'm missing out on a great deal.

Brick thread ? count me in

TBI 350s are so shit that every junk yard has like 20 trucks with the engines sitting in them, they will never be removed.
They are basically worth scrap value even if they are running fine, literally nobody wants them because they weigh a ton and get like 12mpg and make 170hp.
5.3 is like 100 times better and could swap in with a bit of work though.

940 Swagon Guy here, I want Rally farbeamers, do you guys have any tips on what brand to get and if there are any kits to get?

Just ordered the special oil pan that clears the crossmember and a bunch of AN fittings, V-bands and hoses and little tidbits to get the LS swap done, get hype

>ls swap 240? muh diqq
I am very hype, user.

an ls swapped volvo is like an rb26 swapped mustang, its nice, but it isnt right

You're stupid.
After it's all up and running right i'm slapping an ebay GT45 on it

carsales.com.au/private/details/Volvo-360-1985/SSE-AD-3752424/?Cr=9
its fucking tempting guys.
already have a '99 v70 t5, but i've babied it for as long as i've had it and I want something i can mess around with both on the road and in the garage

You're wrong, ls swapping Volvos is like the national sport in Sweden. It's the most right thing ever. It just fits.
7/940's can even be registered with v8's.

>ara ara, you want to put such a big v8 into an old car like me...?
>shut up and take it, you slut
Volvo is for rough v8ing, not sweet 4banging.

The NA only has sound going for it. The 850/940/740 turbo are best volvos. Ive driven modern ones too at 110+mph on light sweepers and DD duties id still take a beat sloppy old school one that cant do 80 mph.

is that philly?

lol nice focus

2010 ish, only cars part were sold and the chinks does not bother volvo and let them do their own thing, the only thing i know they wanted was the L model S90 which is slightly longer.

Volvo Trucks, Penta, VCE is still swedish owned.

/Volvo Employee

He he lives in Balmer

they are the most fucking swedish they've been in a decade

Succeeding in registering a LS in a 940/740 is unicorn unless entire chassis is rebuilt and the car is registered as "changed vehicle" (Ombyggt fordon)

The thing that most people do is have a stock engine for inspection day and the rest of the year run chevy 350

/swefag

No proof whats so ever.

what are you talking about? everything was a frod shared platform of suck previously. there's your proof

1st gen: Old, needs motor mounts, pcv, vacuum lines, turbo controls and possibly the injectors cleaned. Same angle gear problem as below but more likely due to age and depreciation. Electronic throttle can be problematic but it's prob already been replaced.
Heater core could be coming unbonded at the tanks and leaking. suspension bushings. I sold our 00' at 190k and it was still going strong

2nd gen: the active susp is expensive as shit. angle gear can get lunched if tires weren't rotated properly, slave cylinder, misc small problems, 06+ is the one you want as they got some updates.

lol this thread is so full of shitboxes
enjoy your shitty old bricks with 100hp i4s

Enjoy your engine rebuild after 80k faggit

8 series turbos are 225-250hp factory tune with a 2500rpm torque peak and can do 150+ mph stock

FUN FACT: in 1995 the Volvo 850 turbo was the 8th fastest car sold in the U.S.

bread on the hood fgt, let's see what you have.

The man is correct, I live in Baltimore, but I did live in Philly for 6 years and I bought the 245 from South Philly.

Is your guy into that 850?

lol easily spanked by saabs

Saabs dont run long enough to even try.

only $100? is it rusted out?

How mad would you be if I bought this and LS1 swapped it?

Its your money asshole

The TBI system was a known choke point on those engines. The seller changed it to a 4 barrel carb with and edelbrock intake. It's probably up into the low 200's for HP now. Better heads and a cam are less than $2000 and will easily yield 300 some-odd HP. That's far cheaper than doing a 5.3 swap which being LS-based shares nothing with that existing 350. You would need different mounts, different exhaust, different fuel system, wiring out the ass, an aftermarket low profile oil pan to enable it to fit around the crossmember ($$$), etc, etc.....

What fog lamps are those?
Hella?

>Better heads and a cam are less than $2000 and will easily yield 300 some-odd HP.
5.3 is 300hp stock and costs 300 dollars from the junk yard
>That's far cheaper than doing a 5.3 swap which being LS-based shares nothing with that existing 350
Except the bolt pattern from the trans to the motor??????? it's the same fucking bolt patern, the motor literally drops in.
They less SBC to LS adapter plates, they cost like 30 dollars on ebay lol... All they do is move the bolt holes like 2 inches forward on the mounts.
ebay.com/itm/Billet-Engine-Swap-Bracket-SBC-LS-Conversion-Motor-Mount-Adjustable-Plate-LS1-LS-/142206889173
exhaust is easy, fuel system is 160 dollars for the whole thing except the fuel line
speedwaymotors.com/LS1-EFI-Fuel-Pump-And-Regulator-Filter-Kit,41792.html

Wiring isn't hard, I just converted my own LS hardness and ECU I got off ebay for 100 dollars to standalone, oil pan??? you know the oil pan on the 350 wont clear just as much as the oil pan on the LS wont clear.

They sell SBC to LS adapter plates* lol sorry just woke up

only the aero

9000 CSE turbo 5 speed, 7.5 0-60, 143 vmax
volvo 850 estate turbo m/t 7.5 0-60 149 vmax

I like saabs too but you're wrong.

I see plenty of real saabs still running about only the GM era were crap, same can be said about ford era volvo

I will never buy a GM product because of what they did.

autoevolution.com/cars/saab-9000-cs-1991.html#aeng_saab-9000-cs-1991-23-turbo

autoevolution.com/cars/volvo-850-estate-1993.html#aeng_volvo-850-estate-1993-23i-turbo-226-hp

aero was only .1 0-60 and lost by 3mph on the top. could out handle but couldn't out run a turbo brick

My Blizzaks are at my parents hous 130 miles away, but that doesn't even matter with a 240. Actually it makes hektik skids that much better!