Fox body owners

Any fox body owners here? Just got my 87 LX, no motor or trans. Gonna 351 do a swap

Other urls found in this thread:

lmr.com/item/LRS-40442B/1987-91-Mustang-Hatch-Striker
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's a fairly popular car here, myself and a few other anons own them in various stages of modification. If you don't know already, get subframe connectors welded in and if you have no trans, get something better than a WC T5 unless you're on a budget.

Good luck. : )

i've a 2.3 convertible i use as a daily, in the future i'm going to do the volvo head swap, get some bigger injectors, and some other things-

basically i want it to get up to power with the 302.

also- real question, i've got the slushbox on mine, how bad is it compared to the manual equivalent?

yup. asleep for winter. prob goin 351 next year as well

the v8 t5 is a great trans feel wise but is limited to 'safely' maybe a lil over 300whp. less if your launching

1jzgte/lm7 swap and never look back.

>tfw no tarbo rotary swapped foxbody

I had an SVO for a year and a bit, excellent car. Just did a straight pipe, FMIC, and a cone filter and had it putting down a hair more than a 95 GT my buddy had. (202whp vs 185whp)

Took it to winter autocross one time for some fun.

just no salt pls. thats a p clean lookin svo

It was clean, I kept it clean.

do svo's have 8.8's or 7.5's? i dun remember

I don't remember either, sold the car 4 years ago. 7.5 I think, though. Mine had factory slapper bars.

I also daily a 2.3 convertible

Just bought her last Saturday for $2800.

She has a problem during initial idling. Won't idle on her own until warmed up and have to keep the engine revved.

Currently, the vacuum tree is busted which also means manual brakes. New billet vacuum tree just came in and I'm hoping it will fix the idle issue.

Otherwise I think it may be a leaking injector.

Thoughts?

Can I do a subframe connector install in my garage?

Also bought one saturday, paid $4000 for it. In hindsight that was way too much because it has 200k miles on it but I'm young and dumb and I'll learn from my mistakes

The hatch doesn't close all the way, so the interior light stays on (at least I think that's why). It runs and drives well though. The biggest issues that need solving are the CEL coming on at 2k rpm then going off, and the tires/wheels are too wide so they rub the wheel wells full lock. Not sure if I should try and find some lower profile tires or just get a new set of wheels altogether.

Also need to find some stock headlights and tail lights because the ones on here are really fucking ugly

Ah, I had an idle problem exactly like the one you described.
Of course, I drive a 1990 prelude so it's unlikely the problem is the same but replacing the EACV did the trick for me.

Prices are going up, fan. $4,000 wouldn't be too bad depending on condition.

My car has a bunch of minor shit wrong with it. Including 1 year of back fees and no smog. Apart from the broken vacuum tree and poor idle, it seems to be mostly cosmetic.

It seems that a fair condition 5.0 5 speed in LA goes for around $3500 +- 500 bucks.

>those lights
PLEASE.

Aren't they awful?

At least the interior is nice and comfy,

My hatch isn't closing right now either and is rusted to shit near the bottom edge of the glass.

Supposedly I just need a new bushing. I read I might just be able to use a clear hose rather than paying $30 for a replacement. But it doesn't watch to latch and those springs are hard as a rock.

Did I mention I don't have a key set for my locks? Ordered one that should be here this weekend.

And previous owner installed speakers using wood as spaces in the door panels... I put seems as if only the passenger speaker works, so I will eventually get around to fixing that.

I made a lot of mistakes and forgot to look for a lot of things, rusty or leaky hatches is one of them.

Unfortunately it hasn't rained since I bought it so I haven't been able to check.

I'd love to take it to the car wash to get it washed up on the outside but 1. I'm not sure if I'm legally allowed to drive it until its registered and all that and 2. I'm still new to driving manual. Speaking of manual, I must be retarded because I can't back out of my driveway without stalling at least 4 or 5 times

>tfw I want a foxbody so bad but I haven't been able to find any in good enough condition on my Craigslist, and probably too poor to afford one anyway

JUST

I took this picture as a semi joke using my dick to block the license plate. Jk

Kinda hard to see, but going to need a new hatch. Rusted too shit, I can practically fist it through the rust holes. Also has a wave on the bottom edge.

Oh and more problems. My headlight switch is being real finicky. Takes me like 5 minutes to turn on my headlights right now, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Is it supposed to have two clicks of motion? Press top bottom in once for parking lights, twice in for driving lights? It doesn't really want to click into the second mode for driving lights and I have to play with it.

Just keep at it senpai. I'd been looking for "the one" for almost a year. The few cars I looked at were too shitty, or got sold from under me before I could even go look at them

I've definitely seen worse, good luck on your search for a new hatch.

As for the lights, as far as I know thats how its supposed to be done. When I take mine out for a practice drive its always in the morning so its too bright to need headlights. I'd go test it now but its 27 degrees and I'd need to reconnect the battery.

technically u can install/bolt in them but u should really have the car lifted by the wheels so u dont install them on a twisted chassis; also they should be welded in

people say the AE86 shares a shit-ton of similarities with the 4 cylinder mustang

what do you guys think of that?

too gutless. Maybe after a lot of work on the lima to get some power out of it and the front axle geometry

Starting of with a 302 would be more appropiate anyway

I don't get why people like them, they are ugly af even by mustang standards.

No, it's similar with the V8. 4 cylinder and V6 are AE85. It's similar in terms of it's place in the country's car scene, not performance.

Nigger, are you me? Holy crap lol
I have the exact same problem with the brakes, crappy idling issue when starting it cold, and I paid 2800 as well
My clutch is really hard however, so that might be the only difference

My summer daily

89' Notchback here with 351w no picture ATM and its rough anyhow.

My engine was rough idling after startup for a while. Replaced almost everything on air intake side but it was cleaning the throttle body that seemed to fix it.

I had a LSC Mark VII and a Turbo Coupe, only have a fairmont left

they're ok.

Op here. Sorry I didn't reply. No engine or transmission in the car so I have no idea if either are good.
Installing carpet tonight. I paid $800 and it has new carpet, aluminum drive shaft, 8.8 rear end, new trailing arms, springs, and subframe connectors

Wew lads!

I was thinking I'd be the only non Mustang Fox in this thread...

My clutch is pretty hard too. Previous owner said it was due to having a "race" clutch. Haha

I'll let you know if I manage to fix my issues this weekend.

Yeah check out my foxbody
I worked on it all night my hands sure are tired!

Fox owners represent!

why the corolla?

wtf i want an inital D america now

thank god

I hope you didn't pay $1200 for a shell.

Fuck I've bought great running cars for a grand

2.3 at fox lolololololol
you should take that mustang plate off your pinto
LTD LX, easter egg

so many meth dealer looking clapped out sitheaps itt.

okay.

Drove one for a long time, now my sister drives it.

I love them.

Looked for a pre-bubbleback Capri to replace one that I stupidly let go of a long time ago but ran across this 82 GT first. It's in merely ok condition but doesn't have any rust which was more important.

I need to get the horrible roof repair redone. Someone put 8000 layers of bondo that are chipping loose. Also need backtires. Engine stronk and interior good doe.

Just ordered subframe connectors from MM, so I'm excited about how it'll change the handling characteristics.

lmr.com/item/LRS-40442B/1987-91-Mustang-Hatch-Striker

Nigger it's literally 23 dollars and a lot less expensive then a rusting spare tire pan replacement.

>subframe connectors
>handling characteristics

My '82 Capri RS 5.0 was a T-top car and SFC's didn't change its handling a bit. It might have shivered a bit less over bumps but that's about it. OTOH, I never tried to hustle it through a curve either. A friend put them on his '90 LX 5.0 hatch at about the same time in '92 or 3 and it didn't change that car's handling that we could tell either. He was going to go EFI Renegade with it so he wanted them for that.

So the other night when it got cold, my airbag error speaker behind the climate control started beeping at me. No dash lights to give an error code. It hasn't done it now that it's warmed back up (I'm in the south). Anyone have any clue wtf is going on? I've read that if the dash light is out it'll beep like that, so I went ahead and bought replacement bulbs because it needed to be done anyways, but I figured it would do it every time I started the vehicle.

I've heard anecdotal evidence that the rigidity of the chassis was pretty noticeable in even daily driving with full length connectors. I have no clue if it'll really make a difference.

Yeah we heard the same things even back then. To hear them tell it it was like night and day but to us it just wasn't that pronounced. Not saying don't do it, just don't expect a Holy Shit! difference ime.

Yeah I'm definitely doing it. They're in the mail on the way, and I'm excited that my straight frame will remain straight when I want to get stupid.

Did some research and found some guy made his own bushing using some 1/2 ID silicone tubing. The guy didn't say how long it lasted though.

The 1/2 silicone tubing was too small and not flexible enough to squeeze the bolt in, so I bought vinyl tubing and it closes fine now. :) Like less than $1 a foot.

I plumbed up the vacuum tree for the brake with an aftermarket replacement. Then I noticed I was missing all sorts of vacuum lines. Going to order a silicone vacuum replacement kit. The brakes are good now. No need to stomp on them anymore to get the car to stop.

Pic foxbody related

I hate that hideous noise.
Mine has been doing that when it's really cold, too, but my airbag dash light is working fine, and blinks all the time.

I put some on and didn't really notice anything.

How fucking weird. Does the airbag light come on at start up normally? I have nothing when I start mine. I'm not even sure exactly where it's at.

> blinks all the time

What code is it throwing?

It should for 5secs or during it's prove out.

Blogpost #69

Subj: Ford Shill Still Alive

Passed smog today. On Monday I will be going to the DMV to get the title transferred.

I got the lock set delivered on Friday. I tried installing it today, but previous owner hacked up the door panels and doors to install some 6x9 speakers. They cut a hole in the door, door panels, and created a wood spacer that got screwed into the door with wood screws.

Couldn't remove door panels to change lock cylinders without unscrewing wood spacers and don't really want to be left without a 1 speaker sound system for now. So I've been driving it around without the ability to lock the doors. I'll just stay out of shitty neighborhoods until I can pony up some cash for a new sound system.

It does, yeah, and it stays on. It's next to the check engine light. Normally it puts out a regular sounding 5 beeps when I start it up, which I think is for the airbag. But sometimes when it's really cold, it'll make that awful beeping sound that comes from behind the dash.

I actually haven't bothered to check it since I don't really care about the airbag system.

Yeah, the awful beeping is the little blue box in the dash behind the AC panel. I wonder what's the connection between cold and the fuck up since mines doing it too.

okay, so the sticky says that these cars have 'easy bolt on handling'

what did they mean by this, what do i change in order for the foxbody to get good cornering capabilities?

>what do i change in order for the foxbody to get good cornering capabilities?
Good is kind of subjective dude. To get BETTER handling, you can do coilovers, a panhard bar to keep the rear from wanting to kill you, aftermarket control arms, new bushings, and chassis bracing. Those are all considered boltons and will make a difference.

Other options include going full Fatt Marah and swapping in the IRS from a 99-04 Cobra, which is not so much a bolt on.

Reality is unless you're tracking the car and/or been delivering tofu since you were in your early teens, a panhard bar and new springs will probably exceed what your capable of reaching.

Incredibly jelous Aussie here. I wish we got them I haven't even seen one converted to rhd and there's tonnes of 66 and sn95s here as well as newer ones but the Fox body literally doesn't exist

Broke my baby in with the first donut. And then I fucked up on the way home.

>Making a turn
>In first gear
>Complete the turn
>try to give it gas
>Apparently I wasn't in the engagement point
>Rev it, car wont move.
>I swear im in the engagement point any less and it wants to stall out
>Depress clutch and try again
>Clutch smoke comes out the back
>Burnt clutch smell for days

I hope I didn't fuck it up too bad. I've been riding motorcycles and manual cars my whole life. I just haven't gotten used to this "race" clutch yet. I probably should take it easy before I try to hoon it too much and become another meme.

>new 5.0 badge on old foxbody
Please don't do this.

Could have a Coyote for all we know.

But otherwise I agree

looks like a lot of DNA is in that car.

damn that's a good looking foxbody, got any more pics of it?

Why? So you can jerk off to it?

Why would he need to jerk off when your mom is tossin out handies left and right?

I'm so confused, did you depress the clutch to make a turn? If so, god why? Why did you then proceed to rev the vehicle with the clutch half engaged instead of releasing the pedal more if you weren't at the contact point completely. How is any of this your fucking "race" clutch?

Just one more. Apparently it is from my local city car show.

I'm going to have to go out and look for it since it is sexy!

Honestly, I don't really know what happened either. I just hope I don't do it again.

I had just came to a dead stop to do the turn and was still easing out the clutch as I was giving it throttle. But I remember it wanted to stall out. Then I probably panicked and fucked up due the hard clutch. I don't know, man.