Have you ever helped fixed your neighboors car?

How did it turn out?
Stories?

No, only friends cars,
One time a friend happened to be a neighbor but i'd never help a normal neighbor with their cars too much responsibility

fuck no, way too much liability unless you can get shit documented and notarized. if you fuck up, or don't, your neighbor can decide to be a cunt and sue for damages that you may or may not be responsible for.

just do the right thing and tell them to fuck off to the local garage.

> Neighbors classic bronco shits in front of my driveway
> go out to see if I can help
> it's the carb
> know fuck all about carbs
> literally stand there like an otist who had never touched a real life tool
> never talk to him again

I changed my neighbors oil once as a favor.

They sued me and i lost my house when a tree fell on their car.

>off work early have a whole bunch of shit to do, only slept 3 hours so decide to nap a little first
>brother calls me not 5 seconds later "bro my friends car won't start it's the starter halp!"
>how do u know it the starter?
>"all the lights and locks and shit work but it won't turn over it jusy makes a clicking noise
>lights and shit only require like 3v not the full charge, you guys probably hotboxed it with the radio on for hours. Did u try to jump start it?
>"Yea dude we jumped it nothing happened it totally the starter"
>grab tools and head to car across town
>2013 camry v6
>check battery, corroded all to fuck. Try to remove which almost brears cables
>you sure you jumped this?
>"Yea dude totally and it didn't work" can we go buy a new one right now I have class soon.
>call autzone and guy says he has a starter
>drive there and lol jk we don't got it
>put it on hold at a store 3 towns away
>decide I'm not going to drive up thee for nothing I'm bringing the old starter and the battery up there to test just to be safe
>takes forever it's under fucking everything, and every bolt is locktite hard as fuck and can only fit a quarter inch ratchet down there
>by the time I'm done I forget all about the battery
>drive to autzone 3 towns over, almost get rekt by an innatentive driver and also get a warning from a cop who pulls me over for crossing double whites that apparently were faded yellow
>starter is fine
>oh shit I forgot the fucking battery
>go back, put everything together and pry fucking battery off
>haul to local autzone
>"lol dude this thing is totally fried"
>buy battery for brothers friend with my 20 percent discount
>he's salty that it's like 90 bucks
>get back and get it all together, it's been like 5 hours
>so guys fucking Jumpstarted this and it didn't work?
>"Well not exactly bro I mean all the lights and shit worked and the stereo..Thanks dude I owe you"
>drives away

But I guess I got the free learning experience

Fuck that sounds irritating

>way too much liability
You aren't a business dude.. you aren't liable for shit.

It was pretty fucking shitty man my entire afternoon was gone so I had to lose sleep again to do all the chores I would have done if I didn't spend 5 hours helping with the car and driving to parts stores and shit.

Moral of the story though I learned to do my own trouble shootin and diagnostics and never take their word on what they tried or what they think is wrong. Start from square one. I could have saved 4.5 hours by just hooking it up to my jumper cables

lmao

Never trust non-car people with diagnosis or just about anything. They will either have outdated knowledge or "know" random shit from someone else who also has no idea about how cars work.

Depending on locality you could be.

I have never helped a neighbor, but have helped strangers. I keep a spare used ignition cassette( small computer and coils ) in my daily. Saw somebody with same car that would start. Swapped the ignition cassette and they were on their way.

Switched to summer tires for my neighbor as he'd had cancer surgery a week before.

Other neighbor on the other side if the road has a lot more tools and skill than I do

Closest neighbors are my grandparents so it doesnt really count, although I do pretty much all service & repairs on it

at my college there was a dude dicking around his engine bay while i ate breakfast, so i finished up and talked to him. he wasreplacing daughter's battery, and just needed one socket he didnt have to get it out. so i went and got my toolbox and let him borrow it, and shot the shit withhim while he did it all himself

>neighbor girls car won't start
>asks me to look at it
>Oil everywhere, no coolant, fucked wires, fucked everything, more susceptible to fire than a new ferrari
>"It's fucked"
>She gets a new car from her dad

Yeah this It's like fixing someones computer, everything will be your fault forever.

Someone needs to make a car version of this

My neighbors are assholes. Fuck them

I've seen them leave their interior light or headlights on countless times and never said a word.

>replace neighbors taillight

>a month later the other one goes out

>WTF user YOU FUCKING BROKE MY CAR WHAT DID YOU DO YOU BETTER FIX THAT FOR FREE

>You aren't a business dude.. you aren't liable for shit.
People can sue for almost anything. An agreement to do something is sueable in small claims court for damages as long as you received something in return OR if what you did unnecessarily caused damage.

In the case of no compensation was offered, accidental damage can be sued if it was due to your negligence or if you knew you were incompetent but attempted the task anyways. That's why it can be harmful to do favors for strangers especially if someone is trying to set you up such as they pre-scouted you as being employed by an employer who lays off employees that collect lawsuits. Some employers have "reputation" requirements in the job contract.

Sounds like Veeky Forums

Hell no. My closest neighbors are cunts. They've called the police to report my car being in the road past when it should be. Not once but 3 times. And I'm convinced they popped 2 of my tires but can't confirm. Then the asshole husband has the balls to come ask for help figuring out why his car is turning over so slowly (I assume because he's seen me work in my car) and I just flat out refused.

The problem is that a lot of these people you help will complain about you behind your back. That happened to me when I fixed item A. But months later an unrelated item B breaks. So it became my fault but they didn't say it to my face. They simply gossiped it all up and down with neighbors to try to wreck my reputation.

So fuck it. Most people should NOT be helped. They will smile to your face while gossiping behind your back all day long.

>friend knows I wrench on my car sometimes
>asks for help replacing his brake pads on his BMW
>fine, it can't be that hard
>take off wheel
>complex maze of meme sensors everywhere
>replace brake pads
>stupid brake pad sensor has to be reset somehow
>no idea how to do it
>car beeps now saying no brake pad wear left
>fucked something up with the ABS modulator
>ABS light comes on now
>car makes some weird rattling noise now while driving even though I put it back together perfectly

That reminds me
> have neighbor teen over to move some pavers
> he has XJ
> can't get CPS out
> give him tips
> loan him ratchet u joint
> specifically say, "that's one of my good ones so I want it back"
> two weeks later text him
> yeah I got it out hasn't stalled since I totally forgot
> great, want to help work on my jeep
> ...

that was now days ago, no response, no tool

>They've called the police to report my car
>Then the asshole husband has the balls to come ask for help
That's because most people don't care about hypocrisy. Neither hypocrisy or ethics is in their behavior dictionary. But you can trust words like "backstab" or "schadenfreude" are in their dictionary.

>Have you ever helped fixed your neighboors car?

Yes. I won't change their oil because I explained that I refused to get blamed for any stripped threads in the future. I told them about how that happens if too many times a tech overtightens the plug. Then one day it fails and the tech doesn't want any blame for overtightening and causing the stripping. So he naturally blames the previous one that worked on the car which could be me. I said I wanted none of that.

I put the car up on ramps. Then put jackstands up just in case before I change oil. I never get oil on the concrete since I use a low profile wide tray and of course a piece of cardboard topped by two sheets of newspaper. The top of the cardboard has a plastic bag sliced open and duct taped to the sides. If any oil spills, I can discard the newspaper and keep the cardboard after wiping it off superficially with another newspaper.

Typical

I 'helped' fix a co-worker's car one time at work.

Or, at least, he asked to borrow my wheel brace because his was shit and had locked itself to the locking wheel nut. And he hadn't jacked the car up enough, and apparently didn't know how to change a tire.
I do, on account of having been taught how to at an early age. So I ended up doing all the work to change the wheel for his spare.
Then someone else chimed in when he was asking where to go to get the tire replaced/fixed, and recommended the garage her son worked at. Which was fine, because my recommendation was basically 'don't go to kwik-fit, they'll fuck your alloys up'.
The guy was immensely grateful, as were the people he was giving a lift to. Even made sure to thank me the next time we had a shift together, as well.
No issues since, so I guess he got the tire sorted out.

I didn't intend to do all the work myself, but I can't just let someone drive off on a badly-applied wheel. I'd rather just do a bunch of work for half an hour than let that happen.

>neighbor working on 1980s VW van in his driveway all day
>a couple hours later, he still has lots of parts scattered and is starting to look frustrated
>I stop riding my bike to see what he had going on
>He finished the repair, but couldn't remember how to put it back together.
>I look it over for a minute, then take over
>I have it back together in under 5 minutes without seeing it taken apart
>I was 12.
>been helping people with cars since without a fail

>be me, 10 years ago, prime of my teenage years
>neighbour asks if i can help position his engine while he lines the engine mounts up
>catch his wife mirin
>ooh ur strong user
>neighbours wife keeps asking me over to help with things when her husband is not home. Bullshit things like cant open this jar or help move this furniture
>droppin hints let and right
>one day suck fuck it and rub my arm against her tits
>she responds by grabbing my gentlemans region
>ohshityes.jpg
>husband walks in
>got in one little fight
>mom got scared
>said ur moving with your aunty and uncle in Bel-air