youtube.com/watch?v=zMLxF93u5Yw
youtube.com/watch?v=l3NoYyNKSXQ
ronaldjenkees.bandcamp.com/album/alpha-numeric
youtube.com/watch?v=wv0iUKb80C8
youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8
clyp.it/rw05lbi3
pastebin.com/67SPtg19
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is anyone making a game where I can play as a cute boy (male)?

second for Pico 8

Is a cute boy (female) good? What about a Manly girl (female)

The elements are stored contiguously in memory. The caveats are:
1. Adding a new element may require a reallocation and O(n) copy
2. Insertion or removal not from the tail is O(n)
But in most cases traversal occurs far more often than either of those so it's best to optimize for that.

Why the fuck would you go for the most probably less efficient option by default if they're both just as easy to use?

I want to hang all the faggots who hear "premature optimization is evil" and interpret it as "write inefficient code".

I was more wondering if you meant array-based.

Same thing.

I can't yes dev with nothing to listen to

Give me some music please

youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

youtube.com/watch?v=zMLxF93u5Yw

youtube.com/watch?v=l3NoYyNKSXQ

ronaldjenkees.bandcamp.com/album/alpha-numeric

One more for the grinder boys, I'm here to join your ranks.
Wish me luck.

>luck
Already doing it wrong. What you need is discipline.

I want to include a bsod from time to time as an easter egg

What are we gonna animate today Senpai?

Good luck. Now tell me your game idea.
Please, don't be more pixelshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=wv0iUKb80C8

>luck isn't necessary

If luck isn't your main stat then get out of my face.

Have a death animation where he gets sliced in half, and the top half slides onto the ground

upgrading to the new unity broke my 3D clouds so until I fix those this level has an off skybox.

Finished the death animation for the cube rhino charging enemy, he also dies and falls if he goes off the edge.

>tfw no winter jam

youtube.com/watch?v=SKI8RFr0Ec8

>Ecclesiastes 9:11
>I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all.

Luck is the supreme stat. If you don't have it then everything you try to hit will miss and you are doomed.
Is there anything you can do without luck other than failing?

You try programming on luck as your main stat, I'll pick discipline and actually learn what I need to do, as well as actually do what I need to do. You keep typing away, maybe the entire works of Shakespeare will appear on your screen.

clyp.it/rw05lbi3

>mixels

I got you.

start it yourself, its pretty easy to do, I bet you could get least 1 or two others to join you too

I would have but I'm trying to concentrate on demo day 12

Why is everything always so jittery?

>someone actually made this
>and then posted it here
>and was proud of it
Lol. Just lol. Name and shame. :)

I can waste time on Veeky Forums shitposting ;-)

>The race is not to the swift
Literally how races work though. I haven't seen someone finishing a marathon in first place by relying on luck instead of speed.

reminder that /agdg/ actually believes that if you comment your code, it makes you a nodev.

what about like that one animatrix short where the guys legs fucking explode and he loses the sprint despite being the world record holder by a large margin

Starting off making a Visual Novel with my weeb roommates.
Standard dating sim stuff.

We just wanted to be doing something, but I want to make a top-down economy maintenance game that you can swap into first-person in for combat/fun.

You create/control 2 near-immortal characters (male & female) who are sent back in time with a little bit of tech (that you select) to terraform the planet in time for a coming inter-universal war.
Your characters have children who grow/age/die to expand your colony.

Also space dinosaurs.

>animatrix short
>stories == reality
Come on now.

Make the cuts perfectly clean

Have the image like 2000x2000px

idea guy here.

i just had a revelation and it makes a perfect subject for a game. it was revealed to me why the world is going to the shitters.

it's because of echo chambers like twitter, facebook and tumblr. back in the day, stupid people were quickly put down in the face of facts. these days, stupid people seek out an echo chamber which makes them immune to criticism because whenever they get shit on in an argument, an army of like-minded idiots comes forth to defend them. idiots nowadays live in a world where everyone they know of thinks like them because social media naturally creates such bubbles, they have no choice but to think that their stance is the right one as they're too stupid to be critical and thus, they act like it.

do you understand what i'm saying? we have to ban social media because it makes people immune to criticism. literally any claim can quickly become "reality" for large bodies of people and since humanity as a whole still relies on argumentum ad populum for governance, echo chambers now either rule the world or make it impossible to rule the world based on facts.

social media will be the end of civilized society.

To be fair, comments should be avoidable when possible. If you can get rid of a comment by e.g. using more descriptive names, do so. Comments are a source of duplication - you need to keep them updated to accurately reflect the related code.

Usually, descriptive names, types, and contracts (e.g. assertions) are enough.

Describe jittery?

it's an extreme example but you have to be lucky to be born with the genes to go that fast, if it's a chariot race or something instead you have to be lucky to be sponsored and have good horses, etc

can someone please tell me the story behind this and why it makes ppl so mad

Cool idea. Just a question, are the characters just silent ones meant for self-inserting or are they actual characters in the story?

>Also space dinosaurs

Day 1 buy for me. This world needs more space dinosaurs.

Good job but that's not gameplay.

>i just had a revelation and it makes a perfect subject for a game

elaborate how this could be the subject of a game

uhm, i think i can handle them all fine, but thank you! tho if you'd like to have a chat anytime that'd be pretty cool

Autism he probably just has autism for anything thats moving in a fucking game like most of agdg that wants static shit.

I'm too stupid to know why I'm deleting this particular array element 5 months later. I'm gonna double my line count with comments alone, you can't stop me.

The floating platforms appear to blink irregularly and the "too bad" screen doesn't seem to rise smoothly (it's got a little bounce at the top, too).

so shadow president or liberal crime squad or something

holy fuck what gutter trash

why is molyneux posted on this board?

i get that he's a dev that's made ridiculous claims, eg.
>"The center of the curiosity cube will literally be life changing," and it's just access to a different gamemode on Godus.

But that doesn't seem justifiable for him to be a meme/icon

>stupid people were quickly put down in the face of facts.

Like that guy who said the Earth was round instead of flat, right?
Fuck him, only modern idiots actually believe that farce.
Thankfully some people are awakening to the truth.

you know that comments are discarded by the compiler, right, thats literally the definition of a comment in code

Are you using a descriptive name for what it is you're deleting? Any magic numbers?

He has been making those claims for 20 years

C# noob here. I want to create two shots coming out simultanously, one on the left side, the other on the right side of player.

pastebin.com/67SPtg19

However this code isn't working. I can spawn the left shot, and also can edit Shot Spawn 2, Fire rate 2, in Unity, but the second shot doesn't appear.

That's not the issue. People always try to boil things down to the direct effect on the end product without thinking about the effects on development.

Comments can hurt maintainability and most of the time can be replaced by just writing better code, that's a fact.

Silent, but I want to find a way to bring out that feeling the original Jax and Daxter/Spyro had with a silent protag. They were just so likeable.
After pumping a million hours into Skyrim its pretty clear that not all silent protags are created equal.

a little late to the party

>Update2
WTF

top bait my friend

There was something charming about the graphics. Spyro always felt so comfy.
Crash too.

The blinking is because they are timed platforms that poof away after being stepped on after 3 seconds, (with the blinking being the countdown). I'm still trying to figure-out if I need a new model or more indications for these I'm considering making them clocks.

The little bounce at the top of the gameover screen was to add character to it because feedback when it was smooth by alot of accounts of feedback said to add a bounce for character since smooth was boring and soulless.

he is the most high profile idea guy of our time

Then how do I write this?
I just want to copy the shot to spawn on the other side of the player.
It should be very simple, but I have no idea how this works here.

were you the user who was complaining about c# being gay last night?

>I want to create two shots coming out simultanously

[code]
void Update ()
{
if (Input.GetButton("Fire1") && Time.time > nextFire)
{
nextFire = Time.time + fireRate;
Instantiate(shot, shotSpawn.position, shotSpawn.rotation);
Instantiate(shot2, shotSpawn2.position, shotSpawn2.rotation);
}
}

do this and see what happens

I assume either you've set the nextFire2 value to be incorrect, you haven't called Update2(), shotSpawn2.position is wrong, or you're forgetting to render something

Although i can't see the rest of your code so idk

>Like that guy who said the Earth was round instead of flat, right?
it wasnt actually that large a fight to get people to believe the earth was round and a lot of science in that era was actually financed by the churches

if anything, modern flat-earthers from are more fervent believers than people would have been back when people were finally resolving the math to prove that the earth is round, since sea travel and cartography easily show to the layman that the earth has a distinct curve to it, especially when showing things like how flat, square maps don't line up with reality near the poles or over nautical ranges.

what most people think of when they're going on about WELL DEY THOT THE EARF WAS FLAT was controversy surrounding Galileo, which was NOT about the flatness of the earth -- it was about which celestial body revolved round what. Scripture said the earth was the center, which is incorrect and disprovable by star chart data.

Is this supposed to be here? this is complete fucking garbage.

>magic numbers
The only numbers in my code are 1 and 0. Anything else has a name. I plaster initialisation with comments so I can remind myself later about what that variable is supposed to do, in spite of it being very clearly named.
Still I put down comments wherever I can (although admittedly, some / many / most of my comments are "loop through array" tier).

Yes. I was. It's wayyyy more complicated than GML.

holy shit

maybe something like plague inc? by subject i was implying for it to be more of a story around which you can build a more traditional game. but you can build a game around the principle, it is like a disease after all. a disease you can somewhat control as long as you're regarded as an authority figure in the bubble.

I simulated this world for 2 million iterations which is about 3 hours.
The erosion comes solely from the creatures running around, this is why the higher ground is pristine - no creatures can survive there for long.
There's also this nasty ringing artifact due to the fact that I only have a discrete number of height levels. I probably need to add a bit of randomness everywhere to prevent this kind of stuff from becoming apparent.

>Comments can hurt maintainability
how do people write things like this in complete earnest and not immediately burst into flame

anyone got a reference for animating a parachute opening?

I understand the point of the blinking, it's just irregular (at least in the WebM).

The bounce is so small that it seems like an error rather than a deliberate effect. I would instead have it overshoot and spring back, or at least amplify the bounce and make it a little faster to compensate.

There's also that fast-moving enemy, the motion looks really choppy when it starts.

How cute.
Is this a waifu game?

>worldgen takes several hours
Excellent feature.

Have you ever recreated an old game, with 1:1 physics and gameplay, just to master the engine?
if so, how far did you get?
Also, stop being a nodev

are u bethesda

Great. Now I wrote what you said, and deleted all the other stuff. But now it's full of errors everywhere.

cool sim but thats not how erosion works, its how trails are formed, not erosion in general

this. commenting code inflates how long it is and how long it takes to modify or even just read. commenting is for nodev engies trying to meme out like carmack did with Quake.

Comments can hurt maintainability

Maybe if you're doing something like

public static ArrayList comments = new ArrayList();

comments.add(new String("The below loops the update method"));

comments.add(new String("TODO: learn to comment properly"));

I can just use the player's GPU to mine bitcoins while it's "generating"

...user he said 2 million iterations

Not him, but erosion has something to do with wind, right?

If you comment your code you're a fucking nodev. This is fact. Comments are not necessary in code. Comments aren't games. Comments aren't game dev.

did you also delete the variable declarations?

If I was, I'd hang around pgdg instead.

playing with color palettes

Reminder that you were warned of this 15 years ago

What about the removal code specifically, though? Or was that just a made-up example?

Also some those names could be improved. Most of those comments are redundant and only seem to be in place to make every field have a comment to fulfill some compulsion.
cast -> cast_finalized
power_inc -> power_incr
speed_inc -> speed_incr
word_go -> word_cast

Like I said, you have to keep comments updated to be accurate to the related code if you change that code. If comments are not 100% accurate all the time, they're doing more harm than good.

Try having the class like the code below. I can't tell what will break without seeing your whole code, so idk

Sorry if i'm making things worse c:

public GameObject shot;
public Transform shotSpawn;

public float fireRate;
private float nextFire;

public GameObject shot2;
public Transform shotSpawn2;
public float fireRate2;

private float nextFire2;

void Update ()
{
if (Input.GetButton("Fire1") && Time.time > nextFire)
{
nextFire = Time.time + fireRate;
Instantiate(shot, shotSpawn.position, shotSpawn.rotation);
Instantiate(shot2, shotSpawn2.position, shotSpawn2.rotation);
}
}

Those are the cases where comments make sense:
Why are you using this approach and not another one?
// This way that seems the obvious way causes problems in edge case X, so I changed this to do it this other way.

Which means it is possible to be a nodev and make a game. Cool, but is it possible to be a yesdev and never make a game?

>power_inc -> power_incr
>speed_inc -> speed_incr
Wow yeah, that's totally different. I can really see how that changes everything.