/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, enter Control+Q when you're done so the game is saved for others.

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/poschengband/poschengband
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22309
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/2007a24446e49d01e41de8cd8a90f7783654e360
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/a6f70389726882b49cefdd3ad54c8da740edf40a
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/6aafc7b55e4ef2100e27039353bde9471d00a6a4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To a thread with less shitposting.
Finals are over and it's time for lazy winter naps and gorging ourselves until january, what roguelike are you playing?

Playing Brogue because I'm autistic

DCSS to get my first 15 rune. What else is there to do?

Playing PCB for the first time after getting my first 4 DCSS wins.

Is there a way to have multiple windows showing stuff, like I see people doing in screenshots, in linux?

No idea how it works on linux.
Honestly I have enough problems running it.

github.com/poschengband/poschengband
See the readme about Curses.

Poschengband has to be the only roguelike that runs like ass on linux.
Well, actually also ADoM.

I'm running vanilla PCB, so maybe you may have more luck getting that to work that PCBR?

Oh, I can run pseudoellipos and vanilla pcb just fine.
It's just that I wanted to roleplay a human swordmaster that uses a broken blade from my favorite webcomic who's purpose is reaching heaven through violence.

It fits so well with the runesword start I might as well not play at all unless I play exactly that.

the shared account is all messed up

>grunt
you mean improved.

People have been talking about making a wiki for Demon for like 2 months, however no ones actually created one. If someone created a wiki/wikia for it than I'm sure a few people including me would add some stuff to it, as currently the pastebin is the only "source" of knowledge for Demon outside the very slow forums.

Really strange. I still don't know.
If all fails, you could try grabbing .exe from release-repo and running it through Wine.
I am really sorry that I can't really help you compile it on Linux, since that is woefully out of my ''expertise''.

I tried, but it doesn't work for some reason.
Don't worry though, I just remembered I have a very old laptopr running windows lying around.

>the grave robber
Lel

I mean now it works but it kinda looks like ass on this screen
also this keyboard is a pain

I 4 rune run once with a MiFi with lucky power drops in the span of 3-4 years

I simply don't understand the game besides IT HAS HIGH AC YOU CAN'T TICKLE IT YOU ARE DEAD and YOU HAVE HIGH AC OTAB VICTORY

I wizarded my way to tombs once and I'm at an absolute loss on how anyone could possibly clear tombs legit

I absolutely suck dick at DCSS and I wish I could end myself.

DCSS is easy if you run away at the first sign of danger and lure everything. I've been playing for 1-2 months now and got 4 wins, maybe this thread can help you?
crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22309

thanks for that image
the source comic doesn't seem to hold up to as interesting as those few panels are alone but that is an inventive character with a great self-introduction

I did tomb as my third rune on a HOFi of qazlal. your argument is invalid. Pull mobs better. Skill better. Pick your fights better. 1v1 more. And learn how to arbitrarily assess your weapon base damage+skill to an enemies defenses and your defenses against an enemies hd and damage.

Isn't this a unique, why is she friendly?

You know what?
It's fine. I'll play pseudo.

>the source comic doesn't seem to hold up to as interesting as those few panels are alone
Did you just skim through the first 30 pages of Kill 6 Bajillion "U"s? The lore and the story are the best part of the comic.

Alignment shit. Same reason you'll get friendly gandalf/saruman/combat eziechen

I got my first win after looking at a bunch of morgue files of skilled players from the tournament, and copied their skill training pattern.

keep her alive until you get deep into dungeon, then murder her for that delicious exceptional object

How do you murder her, everytime I try to fight her, I push past her.

>go to teleport other someone and the wand is gone
I guess tabbing through the packs of energy hounds was a dumb idea.

Lost stone to mud and acid ball too.

you can aggro her by using ctrl+direction

blast her with a wand or (S)mash her i think, i forgot the keybinding

Alright, thanks.

Heard there's an android version of DCSS and it seems like a great game to have on the go. However the only version I find are either ASCII, or tiled online. I can't afford to stay online though.

Is there an offline tiled version?

Have fun fighting one of the most frustrating early-game uniques outside of Robin Hood or Lousy.

I would (S)mash Amy, if you know what I mean.

a lot. you should expand your horizons beyond DCSS

ctrl-direction if melee, just target her with ranged

>when you have 65% acid resist but the queen and summons so many kamakaze a's that all your staffs get melted anyways

Yes, but it's bugged.

Pa-rum-pa-pum-pum~
Cute anime tum~

Can someone give me advice? I'm a DsNe of Nemelex at about mid-lair. I've been doing great, but I'm starting to run into some concerning issues that will kill me soon if I don't figure out what to do. This is my first pure mage character so i've made a few mistakes. My biggest mistake was probably spending too many points on utility spells before I had enough core spells to carry me, but i'm working on getting enough srolls of amnesia to reallocate those points. I lucked out with mutations and got a massive stealth boost, and powered by death. I also got a ring of stealth early on, and recently a amulet of magic regen.

My two main offensive spells are Stone Arrow and Searing Ray. I also have lee's rapid deconstruciton, vampiric draining, and Mephitic cloud.

The biggest thing that's endangering me right now is poor crowd control and getting overwhelmed by too many enemies at once I can work on my stairdancing skills and use my existing spells to fix a lot of that.

Here is my current list of spells I can learn. I was thinking of trying to get some summons online. I have 0 points in summons but I figure I could train it up pretty fast. I also am considering iron shot, but 6 levels is pretty steep.

What spells should I learn next, and what should my main strategy be to deal with the huge packs of enemies of the future?

considering nice stabbing muts you got, think about getting ensorcelled

battlesphere is cool too in combination with other spells

iron shot is good enough to carry you through entire game

Nemelex is incredibly good, his summoning decks can easily carry you to 2 rues and beyond.

A really mp-efficient spell combo, is battlesphere and magic dart and can deal with everything currently and not run out manga instantly.

Also, you'll probably want to learn some weapon skill and fighting/dodging at some point. 'pure mage' is usually suicide.

how do i stop getting faggoted in DCSS? basically what happens is i begrudingly walk through the early stages of the game, and then i get snagged because someone will confuse me for 15 fucking turns or i'll get petrified and unable to move for also 15 turns

i dont wanna look up shit that spoils the game but i dont want to keep having to redo the boring part because i randomly die to shit like that

>summon bloat
>bloatform
Why are these two spells still in the game?

Get your MR up.
ty yalls. and ye, I didn't know xemelex was so deadly. I was never a huge fan of the idea of relying on cards, but actually he gifts so often that it's more like having unlimited consumables and super power summ

Mr is the most important resistance in the game, and stops most of the super annoying shit like paralysis and banishment which are near death sentences sometimes.

Why isn't Bloat its own magic school yet?

And I mean in a non-meme way. There's this eternal battle between the elements of bloat and the element of void.

And the dev's are powered by the void. What don't they want us to see?

Never had much success in DCSS despite trying a few times. Centaur looks kinda cool, though I never played a ranged character because using ranged weapons seems annoying.

How should I build it?

My first win was with a centaur fighter. They're pretty good with ranged, but I hate ranged so I just went with an axe and okawaru.

Centaur is the strongest race in the entire game purely because they can run away from shit so much easier than everyone else and don't have shit HP like spriggans,

delete this

Forgot pic.
Guys, do I have good chances on going for 5+ or even 10 rune?

Never went this far, already finished the game with 3 runes though. Any tips? Should i go for magic? Charms, i have them but no skills yet.

github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/2007a24446e49d01e41de8cd8a90f7783654e360
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/a6f70389726882b49cefdd3ad54c8da740edf40a
No wands of heal wounds, hasting and teleportation anymore. So I heard you like doing extended without Chei statue!

github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/6aafc7b55e4ef2100e27039353bde9471d00a6a4
Deep Dwarves now have an ability to heal their wounds instead of recharging the no longer existing wand of HW. Doing so has a 25% chance of draining 1 max MP.

>I wizarded my way to tombs once and I'm at an absolute loss on how anyone could possibly clear tombs legit
By going up and down the stairs a lot and enjoying falling down to

did you try actually examining enemies to see what they can do BEFORE they kill you?

there's a whole button for it, user

lmao

good

i believe in you user, depending on how high your skills are you might want to swap to zin or tso though. if you don't, butterflies & regen are worth skilling to get usable in plate. might want to wait for a shield/amulet so they aren't both reflect though.

Yeah this character is pretty strong.
Do V1-V4, then depths then V:5.

After that convert to TSO and do crypt and pan->hell->tomb

or you can just do abyss and slime after vaults. A vampiric weapon makes V:5 much easier.

I also have a +10 dark maul and +8 demon whip of draining, i guess they may have some uses?

Also, i dont have many ways to heal myself, i may try to find a vampiric weapon, but other than that, spells that i should use even with plate armour?

You can probably hold off on spells on spells for the time being, but regeneration(try to get this with decent spellpower for it to last longer),summon butterflies and other low level general support spells are good.

Specifically, you may want decently powered regeneration is Abyss. There's a ton of exp in crawl so getting low level spells online ,especially in extended, is easy as piss.

Also, have you done all of elf, you could find a good vampiric mace there. A vampiric Demonwhip or eveningstar is ideal, since you're a shield user.

IS LET IT DIE A ROGUELIKE?

I like it, but can't we get a new wand or something?
please

Yeah, I did elven halls 3, no luck.
Oka gave me some sick swords , but no maces.

So, for some low utility spells, i need STR+ARMOR SKILL and spellcasting?

bad yahoo

Is this legit? Removing wand of teleportation mean that spellcasters are completely fucked if they ever encounter Mennas.

Also, I don't understand why they make all of these workarounds for deep dwarf, a proper no-regen race can never work in crawl without workarounds like Makhleb or vampiric weapons.

mennas's silence aura is not full screen, you can haste/tele before you get in range

Mennas is announced by his aura, unless you happen to use autoexplore as most normal players do. Ooops.

For utility spells just train up a bunch of spellcasting and the spell schools needed.
Even in plate armour, you don't a ton of levels to cast low level spells.

For example, here's an extract from my 3-rune centaur fighter's morgue:

I was wearing chain mail and only needed about 10 levels for lesser beckoning to be castable and thats without any spell casting levels. The other spells are at high failure rates but I didn't really need them and stopped training magic because centaurs are OP.

1. Can we remove scroll of recharging ? It's only useful for charging wand of digging now.

2. Regeneration spell is worse than haste spell.
Unless you worship good gods, you want to use it every battle without any consequence, it should be removed.

1. scroll of recharging still buffs up rods as well

2. agreed, nerf this shit

THE ETERNAL CAMPBELL STRIKES AGAIN

>these items work best in a limited form

THEN REMOVE SCROLLS OF RECHARGING

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?!

Why not just drop stacks of 8 ?tele instead of wands, then?

>Momiji no longer tells us to do our best today in the first post.

And it was one of the few things I looked forward to in this thread. I even printed out a picture of that post and put it in my wallet for good luck.

Oh god the madmen actually did it.

Each day I feel like I should make a fork of 0.15 or something and expand it as Crawl R or something.
Sorry, I won't.

momiji is kill

Mennas doesn't cast Silence until he sees the player. You're thinking of silent spectres.

Centaurs are pretty diesel but also very boring and tedious.
I can agree with this

Let's do our best today too, user-kun!

>wands are effectively unlimited because of scrolls of recharging
This is true, so reduce scrolls of recharging instead. Only the crawl developers could be this stupid.

Mennas has a corona.

I see 'diesel' used alot in the roguelike community, but I never got what it meant. Does it mean OP or easy or something?

diesel = diesel gas used by trucks = strong as a truck

Oh, I see.

Oops! You're right.

So if wands of hasting, heal wounds, and teleport are gone, there's no point in Acquiring them, right? Who wants to update this image?

That'd just encourage players to hoard ?recharging even more than they already do, though. Isn't it better to actually fix the problem, instead of making the problem less likely? Now recharging is actually reasonably used on an attack or hex wand without feeling like I "wasted" it.

if wands were limited in the same way as scrolls... then what would be the point of wands that do the same things as scrolls?

It's already out of date due to wand acquirement being merged with misc acquirement.

It's a consumable, the whole fucking point of consumables is to hoard them until the optimal time at which to use them. There's nothing specially desirable about recharging a hex wand over a haste wand.

wand acquirement was already removed before this

and the staff acq bit is wrong too since rods were moved to misc alongside wands

I'm thinking of his TSO-like aura, the same angels have, except angels don't spawn anywhere in non-extended except in closed off ziggurat entrances, so you immediately know it's Mennas.

>filename

What would be a fun combo to do a godless run on?

This.
Often you'd want to recharge enslavement or acid but no, it's a waste because you might find healing/hasting later.

HuWn

name the character after yourself

>tip

This was also done before jewellery acquirement buff IIRC.

Recharging damage/hex wands isn't that bad, recharging iceblast for hydra's or recharging paralysis is better than not using it and dying because you might have found a HW or haste wand later.

Alright, slut niggas. Hear me out.

>merge scrolls of recharging, enchant weapon, and enchant armor
>into a generalized "scroll of enchantment"
>can't be used on wands
>can be used on rods, armor, weapons
>add disenchanters and rust monsters